No Thread on Kidd beating teams with good Coaches?

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

tamaraw08
Analyst
And1: 1,338

No Thread on Kidd beating teams with good Coaches? 

Post#1 » by tamaraw08 » Sat May 11, 2024 6:06 pm

Count me as one of those many Jason Kidd doubters but his team, Dallas won 50 games in the regular season, much better record than coaches like Spoelstra, Kerr, Mike Brown etc etc.
Yes, he beat Ty Lue and the Clippers without Kawhi and now just tied and stole Home court from OKC, mentored by Coach of the Year Winner Mark Daigneault with the limping Doncic.
Are we still doubting Jason's ability to coach? Is he being carried by the greatness of Kyrie and Luka? really, no credit at all?
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,840

Re: No Thread on Kidd beating teams with good Coaches? 

Post#2 » by EmpireFalls » Sat May 11, 2024 6:09 pm

He's won series against...

Dwayne Casey
Quin Snyder
Monty Williams
Ty Lue

That's not bad.
theFireBlanket
RealGM
And1: 4,214

Post#3 » by theFireBlanket » Sat May 11, 2024 6:11 pm

Its one game. Lets revisit after they play in a few hours & the rest of the series.

Also, J Kidd was heavily reliant on lead assistants in Milwaukee. Wouldn't doubt that continues with Sweeney & Dudley today.
DukeH wrote:Plenty, RealGM Bucks Board is the Golden Dawn of forums.

f=21 runs better with Diesel, #FreeChuckDiesel
Optms
RealGM
And1: 17,171

Post#4 » by Optms » Sat May 11, 2024 6:13 pm

For that to happen, RealGM would have to admit he's a great coach, which historically, this board has been totally contrast in opinion to that.

Personally, I believe he's being carried by Luka, which is why the voters got it wrong with the MVP this year. That or Kidd really is the COTY with how he's contain Kyrie from derailing this team. I'm giving Luka the credit for that though.
DLoMor
Junior
And1: 648

Post#5 » by DLoMor » Sat May 11, 2024 6:18 pm

I already made a thread about this saying that Jason Kidd is not that bad of a coach.
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 11,337

Post#6 » by KembaWalker » Sat May 11, 2024 6:22 pm

It’s the Dallas fans that told us he sucked over and over, I don’t think anyone else cares that much
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,161

Post#7 » by Mr B » Sat May 11, 2024 6:25 pm

Kidd has his flaws as a coach but results say he’s pretty good. Since he’s been a he Mavs coach he has multiple 50 win seasons and a WCF appearance. Hard to say a coach like that sucks.
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,840

Post#8 » by EmpireFalls » Sat May 11, 2024 6:42 pm

Dallas fans when they lose: “Fire Jason Kidd worst coach ever literal war criminal”

Dallas fans when they win:
KGDirkTD_Fan
Senior
And1: 611

Post#9 » by KGDirkTD_Fan » Sat May 11, 2024 6:51 pm

I would have liked to see Kidd coach the Suns this year, some part of me thought with the playing career he had that he would have figured out how to get Booker + Beal duo to work out, but that's speculation.

Is it odd to say a coach can get better over time like players do?
Wagonband
Bench Warmer
And1: 3,208

Post#10 » by Wagonband » Sat May 11, 2024 7:15 pm

He makes really odd decisions quite often. Like clearly benching a player that is rolling, going small ball when a big lineup has done wonders, playing THJ when he clearly is in his "headless chucker mode", not calling time outs in obvious momentum swings etc, etc...

But somehow they are winning, so i don't know what to think anymore
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,098

Post#11 » by ChipotleWest » Sat May 11, 2024 7:22 pm

A coach can screw up a good team a lot easier than make a bad team good. How hard is it to win with Luka and Kyrie and Luka and Brunson? But when you do what he did in Game 4 against the Clippers bench both centers and make Maxi the main rim protector who proceeded to get cooked, that's a negative for his team. I think coaches in the NBA are mostly overrated. Spo getting the Heat to the Finals as the 8th and 7th seed was an exception, but how hard was it to win a championship with prime Lebron, Wade and Bosh? Phil Jackson 11 rings but he had MJ, Pippen, Kobe, Shaq, every championship Pop won he had Tim Duncan etc...
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by ChipotleWest » Sat May 11, 2024 7:27 pm

EmpireFalls wrote:Dallas fans when they lose: “Fire Jason Kidd worst coach ever literal war criminal”

Many of us have been calling for his job since he was hired. But the choices right now are either protest the Mavs and don't root for them or put up with Kidd as coach because he just got an extension he isn't going anywhere.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,758

Post#13 » by Revived » Sat May 11, 2024 8:00 pm

EmpireFalls wrote:Dallas fans when they lose: “Fire Jason Kidd worst coach ever literal war criminal”

Numerous fan bases wanted their HC fired, got a worse on and now wish their team never fired the guy they had before. I can think of two teams just in last 2-3 years who have done this.

Mavs and their fans need to be careful cause that can be them. Kidd isn’t a perfect coach but the grass isn’t always greener. He deserves a ton of credit for their defense being incredible despite having two very poor individual defenders in Luka and Kyrie starting…hell Kidd has even improved their individual defense!
theFireBlanket
RealGM
And1: 4,214

Post#14 » by theFireBlanket » Sat May 11, 2024 9:30 pm

Firing Kidd worked out in Milwaukee. Just saying.
DukeH wrote:Plenty, RealGM Bucks Board is the Golden Dawn of forums.

f=21 runs better with Diesel, #FreeChuckDiesel
tamaraw08
Analyst

Post#15 » by tamaraw08 » Sun May 12, 2024 12:25 am

ChipotleWest wrote:A coach can screw up a good team a lot easier than make a bad team good. How hard is it to win with Luka and Kyrie and Luka and Brunson? But when you do what he did in Game 4 against the Clippers bench both centers and make Maxi the main rim protector who proceeded to get cooked, that's a negative for his team. I think coaches in the NBA are mostly overrated. Spo getting the Heat to the Finals as the 8th and 7th seed was an exception, but how hard was it to win a championship with prime Lebron, Wade and Bosh? Phil Jackson 11 rings but he had MJ, Pippen, Kobe, Shaq, every championship Pop won he had Tim Duncan etc...

Kobe, MJ and Shaq have a combined 1 ring without Phil and they had many coaches before and after him. Shaq only won with another great coach in Riley.
tamaraw08
Analyst

Post#16 » by tamaraw08 » Sun May 12, 2024 12:29 am

theFireBlanket wrote:Firing Kidd worked out in Milwaukee. Just saying.

Yes, it’s a very known fact but I’m talking about the Narrative that he is a dumb coach who can’t seem to come up with good schemes and adjustments. If that is true then no way his team is winning these many games beating teams with very good tacticians.
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,813

Post#17 » by sikma42 » Sun May 12, 2024 12:30 am

Wagonband wrote:He makes really odd decisions quite often. Like clearly benching a player that is rolling, going small ball when a big lineup has done wonders, playing THJ when he clearly is in his "headless chucker mode", not calling time outs in obvious momentum swings etc, etc...

But somehow they are winning, so i don't know what to think anymore

It’s tough bc JKidd obviously has more information than we do. Plus, it’s obvious that he processes basketball at a level that few have ever reached.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
picc
RealGM
And1: 18,371

Post#18 » by picc » Sun May 12, 2024 12:34 am

Outside of the game 4 blip with the Clippers, Kidd has been very good this postseason with gameplans and adjustments. Credit where its due. Maybe he's finally learning after all those years.
Forbes
Analyst
And1: 2,704

Post#19 » by Forbes » Sun May 12, 2024 12:56 am

The main 2 knocks I have on Kidd are

1. Not calling a timeout early enough to stop a teams run. It’s literally a feeling and it’s obvious. A team score on you twice and got 2 back to back defensive stops on your team and your team is a bit out control call the damn timeout because a run is coming. TODAY was the first time I’ve seen Kidd use his timeouts and actually halt potential 10-0 runs. OKC see was rolling for one run all game. Usually there are multiple of those runs because Kidds lets the team try to play through it.

2. If a player is rolling, Kidd will stick to his rotations and take a player out instead of leaving the player in. Often time killing that players momentum

Other than those 2 he isn’t to bad. He gets guys to buy in and if he has the right players he can maximize the team offensively and defensively.
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by ChipotleWest » Sun May 12, 2024 1:18 am

tamaraw08 wrote:
ChipotleWest wrote:A coach can screw up a good team a lot easier than make a bad team good. How hard is it to win with Luka and Kyrie and Luka and Brunson? But when you do what he did in Game 4 against the Clippers bench both centers and make Maxi the main rim protector who proceeded to get cooked, that's a negative for his team. I think coaches in the NBA are mostly overrated. Spo getting the Heat to the Finals as the 8th and 7th seed was an exception, but how hard was it to win a championship with prime Lebron, Wade and Bosh? Phil Jackson 11 rings but he had MJ, Pippen, Kobe, Shaq, every championship Pop won he had Tim Duncan etc...

Kobe, MJ and Shaq have a combined 1 ring without Phil and they had many coaches before and after him. Shaq only won with another great coach in Riley.

Right but let's say those Bulls teams had another coach, I find it hard to believe they wouldn't have won championships, or Kobe/Shaq Lakers, or Duncan with Pop. Maybe the amount of championships was greater because of Phil or Pop, impossible to say because it's hypothetical. Although I do give Phil credit for creating the triangle offense. You can't say that about most coaches though they usually just run the same schemes other coaches do.

And people say "Jordan won nothing before Phil" Well he didn't have Scottie until 88, and then he was a rookie averaging 8 ppg. Those weren't great Bulls teams by any stretch in the 80's. Phil was there in 89 and 90 (actually he was hired as an assistant in 87, but that isn't quite the same) and they still couldn't win until 91. But again I probably give Phil more credit than any coach due to creating the triangle offense. But that doesn't mean Bulls would have not won in the 90's at all without him.

Like with Duncan do I think Duncan could have won championships without Pop? Yes, do I think Pop would have won on those Spurs teams without Duncan? No. It's a star driven league.

Return to The General Board