I don't want to hear boomers complain about the lack of physicality in the NBA anymore

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

ScrantonBulls
Senior
And1: 1,037

I don't want to hear boomers complain about the lack of physicality in the NBA anymore 

Post#1 » by ScrantonBulls » Sat May 11, 2024 10:13 pm

You constantly hear it on here and other places. People always complaining how soft the NBA is, how these players wouldn't survive in other eras. Old NBA players say it all the time too.

The games this postseason have been physical AF. It's like a freaking rugby match out there. I get that a lot of people are insecure about modern players being better than their favorite players of the past, but enough is enough. These guys are taking absolute beatings and playing physical as hell.
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,813

Re: I don't want to hear boomers complain about the lack of physicality in the NBA anymore 

Post#2 » by sikma42 » Sat May 11, 2024 10:15 pm

Wasn’t a rugby match in game 3 for the Nuggets and TWolves.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,016

Re: I don't want to hear boomers complain about the lack of physicality in the NBA anymore 

Post#3 » by tsherkin » Sat May 11, 2024 10:38 pm

ScrantonBulls wrote:You constantly hear it on here and other places. People always complaining how soft the NBA is, how these players wouldn't survive in other eras. Old NBA players say it all the time too.

The games this postseason have been physical AF. It's like a freaking rugby match out there. I get that a lot of people are insecure about modern players being better than their favorite players of the past, but enough is enough. These guys are taking absolute beatings and playing physical as hell.

Starting a post by insulting a whole generation isn't a particularly intelligent way to open up a thread if the intent is actually quality discussion, just FWIW.
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,552

Post#4 » by PistolPeteJR » Sat May 11, 2024 10:39 pm

tsherkin wrote:
ScrantonBulls wrote:You constantly hear it on here and other places. People always complaining how soft the NBA is, how these players wouldn't survive in other eras. Old NBA players say it all the time too.

Starting a post by insulting a whole generation isn't a particularly intelligent way to open up a thread if the intent is actually quality discussion, just FWIW.

HEY HE DOESN’T WANNA HEAR IT OK PIPE DOWN
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,016

Post#5 » by tsherkin » Sat May 11, 2024 10:41 pm

PistolPeteJR wrote:
tsherkin wrote:

HEY HE DOESN’T WANNA HEAR IT OK PIPE DOWN

:lol:
MugzZo
Sixth Man
And1: 965

Post#6 » by MugzZo » Sat May 11, 2024 10:42 pm

That's the thing about life. Sometimes you hear what you don't want to hear. So get used to it.

Sent from my SM-F936U using RealGM mobile app
AleksandarN
Head Coach
And1: 9,017

Post#7 » by AleksandarN » Sat May 11, 2024 10:47 pm

Did they face these guys driving to the lane?

Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,764

Post#8 » by Dez » Sat May 11, 2024 10:51 pm

Falling to the ground to get a foul call after minimal contact doesn't equate to physical.
benhillboy
Sixth Man
And1: 1,667

Post#9 » by benhillboy » Sat May 11, 2024 10:51 pm

I’m an Xer but we’re usually lumped in with the boomers for cool internet slangs sake. I can speak for them all when I say we love the new officiating. Should be much more complaining and flopping techs given out but flow of pace shouldn’t be meddled with too much more.

Regardless your age demographic we all should agree that foul calls that would get you ostracized from your local gym being called in the NBA was criminal. Which was at least 30% of the time before the radical officiating addendum after AS break. All older fans want is defenders being entitled to their natural space on the floor and when airborne and offensive players to finish reasonable shots through incidental contact without acting like their $65,000 chain was stolen by the road locker room staff.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,397

Post#10 » by ItsDanger » Sat May 11, 2024 10:53 pm

Lot of flopping in the game today by both sides. I thought Jalen Williams broke his ankle by the way he was lying on the floor. But he returned.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
vulture
Head Coach
And1: 5,483

Post#11 » by vulture » Sat May 11, 2024 10:54 pm

Other than some of the flopping the playoffs have been physical
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,316

Post#12 » by SlimShady83 » Sat May 11, 2024 10:55 pm

Give him the edge because It's the post season, but regular season gtfoh
My Personal Top 10 all time
Jordan, Russell, Bird, Duncan, Magic, Kobe, Curry, Shaq, Kareem, Bron

Top 5 will always be the same, 6-10 will change from time to time :)
I'm a Kobe fan
RB34
RealGM
And1: 15,485

Post#13 » by RB34 » Sat May 11, 2024 10:56 pm

The refs have been good at allowing a certain level of physicality, they just have to make sure it’s consistent across the board.

You can’t have a game like g2 of Denver v Wolves then have a game where you’re calling touch fouls.
Showtime 80
Junior
And1: 617

Post#14 » by Showtime 80 » Sat May 11, 2024 10:57 pm

benhillboy wrote:I’m an Xer but we’re usually lumped in with the boomers for cool internet slangs sake. I can speak for them all when I say we love the new officiating. Should be much more complaining and flopping techs given out but flow of pace shouldn’t be meddled with too much more.

Regardless your age demographic we all should agree that foul calls that would get you ostracized from your local gym being called in the NBA was criminal. Which was at least 30% of the time before the radical officiating addendum after AS break.

I agree, adopt these new rule changes full time and not just for the playoffs and let the real cream rise to the top. Let’s see who the real talented, versatile and creative scorers are once they face some real physical resistance.
jkvonny
Head Coach
And1: 5,869

Post#15 » by jkvonny » Sat May 11, 2024 10:59 pm

We, GenXers, will stay out of yall's battles (Boomers vs Millineals, Gen Z) :lol:

FWIW, I loved the '80s. '90s, '00s and todays era.

The milkmen, plumbers, TikTokers, etc you name it!

.....Lot of evolution took place over the years as well.
Karate Diop
General Manager
And1: 9,938

Post#16 » by Karate Diop » Sat May 11, 2024 11:00 pm

Come on bruh... These playoffs have been anything but physical.

Boomers are wrong about A LOT, but there general point about physicality in the NBA and how it's evolved over the years is correct.
CometGM
Senior
And1: 437

Post#17 » by CometGM » Sat May 11, 2024 11:01 pm

S

A strawman for a strawman. The endless RealGM loop.
Sounds like you've been the insecure one with this argument.

I like the physicality. It's a tough balance. You don't want players getting injured but it has strayed too much in the soft direction over the years. If it stays like how it was towards the end of the season with less whistles for ticky-tack I feel it's a good thing.
jkvonny
Head Coach
And1: 5,869

Post#18 » by jkvonny » Sat May 11, 2024 11:03 pm

benhillboy wrote:I’m an Xer but we’re usually lumped in with the boomers for cool internet slangs sake. I can speak for them all when I say we love the new officiating. Should be much more complaining and flopping techs given out but flow of pace shouldn’t be meddled with too much more.

Regardless your age demographic we all should agree that foul calls that would get you ostracized from your local gym being called in the NBA was criminal. Which was at least 30% of the time before the radical officiating addendum after AS break. All older fans want is defenders being entitled to their natural space on the floor and when airborne and offensive players to finish reasonable shots through incidental contact without acting like their $65,000 chain was stolen by the road locker room staff.

We (GenX) almost always gets forgotten about.

Who cares?? Let the rest of the others battle this one out amongst each other. :lol:
We'll just sit back and watch, laugh it out.
Ainosterhaspie
Starter
And1: 2,245

Post#19 » by Ainosterhaspie » Sat May 11, 2024 11:06 pm

Most of the people grumbling about physicality have no idea what they're talking about. Their memories of the past are fogged by 30-40 years of passing time, and they haven't really paid attention to the modern game. It's a critique based highlights not real games, and it's a praise of a fictitious nostalgic past. There is also a lot of failure to understand the physical challenges of the modern game. Needing to defend the entire half court instead of just the paint is a huge change, that requires much more effort and it's just ignored when people start crying about the modern game being too soft.
Only 10 Players in NBA history have 20,237 points, 5,504 assists and 5,592 rebounds. LeBron has double those numbers.
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,897

Post#20 » by JustBuzzin » Sat May 11, 2024 11:14 pm

Is this a joke?

Bro they use to elbow players with no call from the refs back in the 80's and 90's. That stuff Draymond does was normal back then.

Let's settle down with the physical part. :D

Return to The General Board