PJ Washington seems to be stepping up

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

picc
RealGM
And1: 18,361

PJ Washington seems to be stepping up 

Post#1 » by picc » Sun May 12, 2024 12:15 am

Was just able to watch the replay of this game.

Happy for PJ. Seems like a good kid and I know he's had his controversies, and wasn't performing in Charlotte, but he's really found his niche in Dallas.

Seems like he loves the team and gets along with his teammates. Its cool to see players change situations and make an impact.

I'd say he's the Mavs 3rd most important player as long as the two centers are both healthy.
dygaction
Head Coach
And1: 4,580

Re: PJ Washington seems to be stepping up 

Post#2 » by dygaction » Sun May 12, 2024 12:21 am

I don't want to overclaim saying Mavs have the best team chemistry, but having Kyrie last season, adding Exum + DJJ in free agency this season, drafting Lively as a 19 year rookie, plus adding Gafford+PJ at trade deadline a few month ago... and there still talk heads pushing players don't want to play with Luka.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,385

Post#3 » by Papi_swav » Sun May 12, 2024 12:29 am

that was a good trade for them
magee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,407

Post#4 » by magee » Sun May 12, 2024 12:33 am

PJ Washington is exactly what the Mavs needed at the 4. So stoked to see him blossom into a playoff juggernaut.
picc
RealGM
And1: 18,361

Post#5 » by picc » Sun May 12, 2024 12:46 am

dygaction wrote:I don't want to overclaim saying Mavs have the best team chemistry, but having Kyrie last season, adding Exum + DJJ in free agency this season, drafting Lively as a 19 year rookie, plus adding Gafford+PJ at trade deadline a few month ago... and there still talk heads pushing players don't want to play with Luka.

Curious what they'll do this offseason. DJJ has his perks but the 3 is the clear position to upgrade.
Schmooftie
Senior
And1: 106

Post#6 » by Schmooftie » Sun May 12, 2024 1:20 am

Like Tayshaun Prince before him he is stepping up at the right time
Black Jack
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,450

Post#7 » by Black Jack » Sun May 12, 2024 1:39 am

dygaction wrote:I don't want to overclaim saying Mavs have the best team chemistry, but having Kyrie last season, adding Exum + DJJ in free agency this season, drafting Lively as a 19 year rookie, plus adding Gafford+PJ at trade deadline a few month ago... and there still talk heads pushing players don't want to play with Luka.

I'm not saying people don't want to play with Luka but I do think him playing off ball some and minimizing the time with the ball in his hands during possessions will make him more effective.

When you're a great scorer, the next level is learning to use your teammates too. That's how Jordan got past just scoring a lot to being a champion.
Rest in peace Kobe & Gianna

my response to KD critics: https://tinyurl.com/tlgc6bf
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,049

Post#8 » by ChipotleWest » Sun May 12, 2024 1:41 am

picc wrote:

Curious what they'll do this offseason. DJJ has his perks but the 3 is the clear position to upgrade.

No cap space unless they can get someone for the MLE but obviously they won't be great. We have this guy though, he's fantastic and a team can trade for him.

ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by ChipotleWest » Sun May 12, 2024 2:09 am

Black Jack wrote:

I'm not saying people don't want to play with Luka but I do think him playing off ball some and minimizing the time with the ball in his hands during possessions will make him more effective.

When you're a great scorer, the next level is learning to use your teammates too. That's how Jordan got past just scoring a lot to being a champion.

Are we pretending Luka wasn't second in assists this year? Second. He's a playmaker you don't take the ball out of his hands. Kyrie works as a 2 Luka doesn't really, and Kyrie really isn't some 10 assists guy. There's no one else you want controlling the ball the whole possession on the team.
NCHeels2008
RealGM
And1: 2,662

Post#10 » by NCHeels2008 » Sun May 12, 2024 2:20 am

Hated the Hornets welcomed back the wife beater to take his starting spot so happy he landed in a happier place
Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 15,996

Post#11 » by Patches Perry » Sun May 12, 2024 2:22 am

We don't appreciate it.

- OKC fans
Handlez
Junior
And1: 648

Post#12 » by Handlez » Sun May 12, 2024 3:43 am

He's a DAWG.

Brilliant trade.
BlzMwt
Rookie
And1: 1,042

Post#13 » by BlzMwt » Sun May 12, 2024 3:47 am

ChipotleWest wrote:
Black Jack wrote:

Are we pretending Luka wasn't second in assists this year? Second. He's a playmaker you don't take the ball out of his hands. Kyrie works as a 2 Luka doesn't really, and Kyrie really isn't some 10 assists guy. There's no one else you want controlling the ball the whole possession on the team.

Dominating the ball isn't necessarily a recipe for success.

Sure he was second in assists and a phenomenal playmaker but there is something to be said about teammates in those situations not being in rhythm because they haven't touched the ball in so long.

One of the few criticisms I've had with Lebron led offenses at various times.
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,829

Post#14 » by EmpireFalls » Sun May 12, 2024 3:56 am

We **** up with the trade I think.
brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,455

Post#15 » by brutalitops » Sun May 12, 2024 3:59 am

He literally stopped trying at Washington years ago on the defensive end.

I think it's just a very good situation for him, he starts, he's a 4th option, and he can focus on defense on a good team. Rather then a bottoming out team wanting him to be a 6th man
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,876

Post#16 » by JustBuzzin » Sun May 12, 2024 4:07 am

brutalitops wrote:He literally stopped trying at Washington years ago on the defensive end.

I think it's just a very good situation for him, he starts, he's a 4th option, and he can focus on defense on a good team. Rather then a bottoming out team wanting him to be a 6th man

To be fair we had no other choice. Miles Bridges plays the same position and we had a rookie Brandon Miller who was also playing at the wing spot.

In hindsight I would have kept PJ on his decent contract and trade Miles because he's due a big contract and im not trying to overpay for a women beater.
brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,455

Post#17 » by brutalitops » Sun May 12, 2024 4:16 am

JustBuzzin wrote:
brutalitops wrote:He literally stopped trying at Washington years ago on the defensive end.

To be fair we had no other choice. Miles Bridges plays the same position and we had a rookie Brandon Miller who was also playing at the wing spot.

In hindsight I would have kept PJ on his decent contract and trade Miles because he's due a big contract and im not trying to overpay for a women beater.

Oh yeah it's 100% that Charlotte the only thing they literally don't need is a dude who's 6'7, who can defend up and down and is a solid 1v1 defender who can slash and hit a 3p. If he could run a couple of plays or break guys down off the dribble he would 100% still be on Charlotte on at least double the money. I also feel the holdout was to get a deal which would help him get moved but at a point it would really hurt a contender for trading to get him
doogie_hauser
Rookie
And1: 1,508

Post#18 » by doogie_hauser » Sun May 12, 2024 4:18 am

The Mavs mid season trades/moves definitely saved Kidd's Bacon as coach.
FarBeyondDriven
Sixth Man
And1: 1,097

Post#19 » by FarBeyondDriven » Sun May 12, 2024 4:23 am

He's JAG but he's perfect in the very role the Mavericks needed him to fill provided he's shooting well. No more delusions of grandeur. Just hit your wide open shots, hustle, defend, set screens and be a connective passer. Sometimes all a player needs to finally "arrive" is to be put in the best position to succeed. He looks really comfortable in his role now.
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by ChipotleWest » Sun May 12, 2024 4:45 am

doogie_hauser wrote:The Mavs mid season trades/moves definitely saved Kidd's Bacon as coach.

Yeah it's amazing how better players suddenly make a coach better, while worse players make a coach worse. Crazy world we live in.

Return to The General Board