JJ Redick, James Borrego and Sam Cassell are leading candidates for the Lakers coaching job [Shams]

Moderators: Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199

Who's going to be the new Lakers head coach?

Poll ended at Tue May 21, 2024 3:09 pm

JJ Redick
33%
James Borrego
5%
Sam Cassell
39%
David Adelman
5%
Micah Nori
5%
Chris Quinn
5%
Other (mention in reply)
9%

Total votes: 64

SUPERVILLAIN
Analyst
And1: 12,301

JJ Redick, James Borrego and Sam Cassell are leading candidates for the Lakers coaching job [Shams] 

Post#1 » by SUPERVILLAIN » Tue May 14, 2024 3:09 pm

Read on Twitter

Young Stapler wrote:Completely off topic but SUPERVILLAIN got a crazy post/And1 ratio O_O

Just an observation. Carry on :usa:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2135964&p=94616946#p94616946
KembaWalker
General Manager
And1: 11,376

Re: JJ Redick, James Borrego and Sam Cassell are leading candidates for the Lakers coaching job [Shams] 

Post#2 » by KembaWalker » Tue May 14, 2024 3:12 pm

LeBron and AD would be bumping into Borrego and pouting before thanksgiving. He is not built for that job lol.
Texas Chuck
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 90,375

Re: JJ Redick, James Borrego and Sam Cassell are leading candidates for the Lakers coaching job [Shams] 

Post#3 » by Texas Chuck » Tue May 14, 2024 3:13 pm

LA wants a Grinder
The leading candidate is Lebron's podcast buddy
Giggles

I like JJ. Smart, entertaining dude. But this has Steve Nash vibes. Star's buddy who sounds great in press conferences but with no proven leadership skills.
ThunderBolt wrote:I’m going to let some of you in on a little secret I learned on realgm. If you don’t like a thread, not only do you not have to comment but you don’t even have to open it and read it. You’re welcome.
Loneshot
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,042

Post#4 » by Loneshot » Tue May 14, 2024 3:14 pm

If Ridick I'm for it. We can get the podcast after every game. It will be like the Last Dance in real time. The Lakers are basically a soap opera for the next few seasons; management is lost.
Mamba Mentality
RealGM
And1: 20,485

Post#5 » by Mamba Mentality » Tue May 14, 2024 3:16 pm

I'm intrigued by the prospect of JJ Reddick. There is no denying his intellect and attention to detail, just don't know how a veteran team will respond to a guy who doesn't have any experience or credibility.
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,879

Post#6 » by EmpireFalls » Tue May 14, 2024 3:16 pm

I would pay a large amount of money for PPV viewing of Borrego trying to stand up to LeBron.

He’s honestly a pretty creative coach, he tries everything and plays a fun offensive scheme. He kind of got a bad rap here imo. That said, personality wise, I couldn’t think of a less “LA Lakers” coach.

Are we sure any of these guys are better than Ham?
Woodsanity
RealGM
And1: 10,480

Post#7 » by Woodsanity » Tue May 14, 2024 3:16 pm

Redick would be interesting.
UglyBugBall wrote:Jokic is a guy that needs a superstar like Murray to make his game work.
To me he is the third best player in the NBA - Luka and Embiid are comfortably ahead of him.

:lol:
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 9,650

Post#8 » by GrandTheftRondo » Tue May 14, 2024 3:17 pm

Redick is nuts if he wants to get into coaching by going to the Lakers.

They are completely toast as contenders yet will continue to pretend until LeBron retires that some coach can magically get them a title.

He’ll end up out the door in two years looking worthless and no good with the Lakers scapegoating yet another coach.
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,813

Post#9 » by sikma42 » Tue May 14, 2024 3:19 pm

GrandTheftRondo wrote:Redick is nuts if he wants to get into coaching by going to the Lakers.

They are completely toast as contenders yet will continue to pretend until LeBron retires that some coach can magically get them a title.

He’ll end up out the door in two years looking worthless and no good with the Lakers scapegoating yet another coach.

I think JJ is good at shifting responsibility. He would just move to another situation imo

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 9,650

Post#10 » by GrandTheftRondo » Tue May 14, 2024 3:26 pm

sikma42 wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:Redick is nuts if he wants to get into coaching by going to the Lakers.

I think JJ is good at shifting responsibility. He would just move to another situation imo

I dunno.

As someone else said it gives off Steve Nash vibes.

I don’t even think Nash did that terribly in Brooklyn yet it seems like for the time being at least teams aren’t interested in him.
Frank Dux
Head Coach
And1: 9,410

Post#11 » by Frank Dux » Tue May 14, 2024 3:32 pm

I’m down with Sam Cassell. He seemed to put in the time as an assistant.
Pointgod
RealGM
And1: 21,876

Post#12 » by Pointgod » Tue May 14, 2024 3:35 pm

Why would the Lakers go for a first year coach when they’re trying to compete?
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,813

Post#13 » by sikma42 » Tue May 14, 2024 3:37 pm

Pointgod wrote:Why would the Lakers go for a first year coach when they’re trying to compete?

Bc that coach is a top basketball analyst for the esteemed ESPN. Add in the fact that he advanced stat friendly and you get the best man for the job.

dolphinatik
Head Coach
And1: 4,243

Post#14 » by dolphinatik » Tue May 14, 2024 3:41 pm

Reddick needs like a Utah or Atlanta type job. Memphis would be good too. Lakers is not a good dedicating for someone that has never been the head or assistant.
1. Herro 2. Bol Bol 3. Seko 4. Bruno
unless we trade up for Barrett or trade down for PJ Washington
dolphinatik
Head Coach
And1: 4,243

Post#15 » by dolphinatik » Tue May 14, 2024 3:44 pm

Billy Donovan would be the perfect fit for style and philosophy.
1. Herro 2. Bol Bol 3. Seko 4. Bruno
unless we trade up for Barrett or trade down for PJ Washington
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,794

Post#16 » by JayMKE » Tue May 14, 2024 3:49 pm

Redick hasn’t ever coached, IDK why his name keeps coming up for jobs.

Sam Cassell has put in a ton of work as an assistant in a couple different places, ex player and big personality so think he could be good fit for Lakers/Lebron of the names listed but yea he’d be a first time HC.
FREE GIANNIS
Memories
Veteran
And1: 4,969

Post#17 » by Memories » Tue May 14, 2024 3:50 pm

It's gonna be Redick. And I'm gonna laugh.

They just hiring Lebron's buddies at this point and catering to his every whim.
Memories wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:
Memories wrote:So still not at all over yet.

Nah it’s over 121 to 107

Clippers go on a 15-0 run right after this, and eventually win the game. :lol:
Memories
Veteran
And1: 4,969

Post#18 » by Memories » Tue May 14, 2024 3:52 pm

JayMKE wrote:Redick hasn’t ever coached, IDK why his name keeps coming up for jobs.

Sam Cassell has put in a ton of work as an assistant in a couple different places, ex player and big personality so think he could be good fit for Lakers/Lebron of the names listed but yea he’d be a first time HC.

Darvin Ham was an assistant for over 10+ years. Look at how he turned out.

Putting in a lot of work as an assistant doesn't mean much. If he were ready as a coach, why did no one hire him eariler?
Memories wrote:
Ballerhogger wrote:
Memories wrote:So still not at all over yet.

Nah it’s over 121 to 107

Clippers go on a 15-0 run right after this, and eventually win the game. :lol:
CS707
General Manager
And1: 6,413

Post#19 » by CS707 » Tue May 14, 2024 3:56 pm

I wonder what JJ's contract leverage would be? Ham was reportedly getting chump change. JJ's even less experienced but the pool is shallow for LA and JJ doesn't really need to do it. If he can get it north of $5m and enough guaranteed years, it's a total win for him regardless of how it turns out. He doesn't strike me as a lifer as an NBA coach.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 30,061

Post#20 » by OkcSinceSGA » Tue May 14, 2024 3:58 pm

Sam Cassell is going to be an elite head coach some day. I wanted the Clippers to get him few years ago. He’s a strategic minded coach, no nonsense guy. He won’t hesitate to go after entitled stars.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.

Return to The General Board