Sick of hearing people denigrate Gobert..(He's been great defensively)

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Handlez
Junior
And1: 673

Sick of hearing people denigrate Gobert..(He's been great defensively) 

Post#1 » by Handlez » Thu May 16, 2024 9:43 am

Draymond is leading the Gobert hater pack, but Jokic is just HIM and would do this to anyone. Chuck jumped on the bandwagon. Fans jumped on the bandwagon.

I mean WTH?

Watch how closely Rudy is contesting every shot! Jokic is just an all time great offensive talent.

What more could Gobert possibly do? He's contesting everything and Jokic is just in his bag and making incredible shot after shot.

Maybe try not guarding a top 15 player of all time with a singular player one on one.
Bolivar
Starter
And1: 4,380

Re: Sick of hearing people denigrate Gobert..(He's been great defensively) 

Post#2 » by Bolivar » Thu May 16, 2024 9:47 am

Handlez wrote:Draymond is leading the Gobert hater pack, but Jokic is just HIM and would do this to anyone. Chuck jumped on the bandwagon. Fans jumped on the bandwagon.

I mean WTH?

Watch how closely Rudy is contesting every shot! Jokic is just an all time great offensive talent.

What more could Gobert possibly do? He's contesting everything and Jokic is just in his bag and making incredible shot after shot.

Maybe try not guarding a top 15 player of all time with a singular player one on one.

Draymond would kick him in the nuts every game. Embiid would be doing his "oh I'm just a a poor injured guy accidentally falling on this guy here" act.
Deathray
Junior
And1: 129

Post#3 » by Deathray » Thu May 16, 2024 10:15 am

Prime Garnett vs Jokic would be an awesome matchup. Garnett's athleticism used to give Duncan serious trouble one on one.
Doranku
Analyst
And1: 6,288

Post#4 » by Doranku » Thu May 16, 2024 10:52 am

Agreed, Gobert is averaging a staggering 10/10/2 while holding the Joker down to 29/10/9. Put some respect on the 4x DPOY's name. Honestly they should give Gobert a 5th DPOY award for his defense on Jokic this series alone. Who else is capable of limiting Jokic to a 30 point triple double?
ballzboyee
Junior
And1: 457

Post#5 » by ballzboyee » Thu May 16, 2024 11:25 am

I have been trying to figure what makes Jokic so unstoppable. And I think it is that Jokic does three things that I don't think I have ever seen in a player. He can finish with a baby left hook with either hand, he can shoot off either foot, and he doesn't appear to have any predictable tendencies when he goes to make his release. This last point is really important. If you watch him play, he doesn't target the basket with his eyes until very late in his move. It's almost like his shot is a kind of no-look pass that just happens to go in, and this kind of also explains why he is such great passer looking off his target. His playstyle is so unorthodox, I don't think he can be defended. Defenders cannot time his shot. He's a weird combination of Charles Barkley, Kevin McHale, and Magic Johnson. The NBA has never seen a player that really moves like Jokic. He's got the efficiency of Barkley, the length and post moves of McHale, and he has the court vision and feel of Magic. I am not sure there is anything Gobert can do in this situation.
turnmeup88
Junior
And1: 335

Post#6 » by turnmeup88 » Thu May 16, 2024 11:31 am

Doranku wrote:Agreed, Gobert is averaging a staggering 10/10/2 while holding the Joker down to 29/10/9. Put some respect on the 4x DPOY's name. Honestly they should give Gobert a 5th DPOY award for his defense on Jokic this series alone. Who else is capable of limiting Jokic to a 30 point triple double?

They gave Iguodala a Finals MVP for containing LeBron to 35/10/10 in the NBA finals lol.

Jokic is borderline unplayable when he's on, regardless of who is guarding him. Draymond is acting like he's all that and would hold him to anything better than what Rudy is doing... look at Jokic's number against the warriors this year.

Look at the number he put up against AD, same stuff.
Handlez
Junior
And1: 673

Post#7 » by Handlez » Thu May 16, 2024 11:34 am

ballzboyee wrote:I have been trying to figure what makes Jokic so unstoppable. And I think it is that Jokic does three things that I don't think I have ever seen in a player. He can finish with a baby left hook with either hand, he can shoot off either foot, and he doesn't appear to have any predictable tendencies when he goes to make his release. This last point is really important. If you watch him play, he doesn't target the basket with his eyes until very late in his move. It's almost like his shot is a kind of no-look pass that just happens to go in, and this kind of also explains why he is such great passer looking off his target. His playstyle is so unorthodox, I don't think he can be defended. Defenders cannot time his shot. He's a weird combination of Charles Barkley, Kevin McHale, and Magic Johnson. The NBA has never seen a player that really moves like Jokic. He's got the efficiency of Barkley, the length and post moves of McHale, and he has the court vision and feel of Magic. I am not sure there is anything Gobert can do in this situation.

Jokic is basically three of the GOATS in one player.

Nailed it with this post.
Bloodbather
Junior
And1: 548

Post#8 » by Bloodbather » Thu May 16, 2024 11:35 am

Doranku wrote:Agreed, Gobert is averaging a staggering 10/10/2 while holding the Joker down to 29/10/9. Put some respect on the 4x DPOY's name. Honestly they should give Gobert a 5th DPOY award for his defense on Jokic this series alone. Who else is capable of limiting Jokic to a 30 point triple double?

Gobert got his DPOY for his impact on his team's defense overall. Not because he limits someone one-on-one or whatever.

Nobody can guard Jokić effectively one on one. Not Gobert, not Wemby, not AD, not Embiid. Nobody. You just try to make things difficult for him and get him to lose focus and disturb his teammates' rhythm.

ballzboyee wrote:I have been trying to figure what makes Jokic so unstoppable. And I think it is that Jokic does three things that I don't think I have ever seen in a player. He can finish with a baby left hook with either hand, he can shoot off either foot, and he doesn't appear to have any predictable tendencies when he goes to make his release. This last point is really important. If you watch him play, he doesn't target the basket with his eyes until very late in his move. It's almost like his shot is a kind of no-look pass that just happens to go in, and this kind of also explains why he is such great passer looking off his target. His playstyle is so unorthodox, I don't think he can be defended. Defenders cannot time his shot. He's a weird combination of Charles Barkley, Kevin McHale, and Magic Johnson. The NBA has never seen a player that really moves like Jokic. He's got the efficiency of Barkley, the length and post moves of McHale, and he has the court vision and feel of Magic. I am not sure there is anything Gobert can do in this situation.

He's a taller Larry Bird with a McHale-like post game.
CD_41
Junior
And1: 456

Post#9 » by CD_41 » Thu May 16, 2024 11:51 am

Bloodbather wrote:

Gobert got his DPOY for his impact on his team's defense overall. Not because he limits someone one-on-one or whatever.

Nobody can guard Jokić effectively one on one. Not Gobert, not Wemby, not AD, not Embiid. Nobody. You just try to make things difficult for him and get him to lose focus and disturb his teammates' rhythm.

100%.

Jokic dominated Bam Adebayo, Anthony Davis (2x), Rudy Gobert (2x) in the last two post-seasons.
All 3 are in the conversation for the best defensive big man in the game.

But of those 3, Rudy Gobert seems to get much more hate and I don't think it is because of the awards he's received.
I think people just don't like him. Guess what, I don't like him either.
But that does not mean you can throw all your objectivity overboard and just **** on a great player (which Gobert is).

Did he get cooked by Jokic? Yes.
Did all the other great C's as well? Yes.
"No sense in honoring an internet bet. This isn’t the real world get over stop crying like a baby."
"My first name is Hussien. Would you expect Saddam to honor a bet he made with Kuwait or the US?"

Hussein Fatal after losing a bet.
hardenASG13
Analyst
And1: 1,447

Post#10 » by hardenASG13 » Thu May 16, 2024 11:55 am

CD_41 wrote:
Bloodbather wrote:

100%.

Jokic dominated Bam Adebayo, Anthony Davis (2x), Rudy Gobert (2x) in the last two post-seasons.

But of those 3, Rudy Gobert seems to get much more hate and I don't think it is because of the awards he's received.
But that does not mean you can throw all your objectivity overboard and just **** on a great player (which Gobert is).

The other 2 don't ruin their teams offensive spacing though. It's been a tough series for Gobert.
DimesandKnicks
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,661

Post#11 » by DimesandKnicks » Thu May 16, 2024 11:56 am

I don’t think there’s ever been another acclaimed defender who’s been unplayable in multiple playoff series. If there are any examples I’m all ears. It’s giving big fat phony
sikma42
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,813

Post#12 » by sikma42 » Thu May 16, 2024 11:59 am

Deathray wrote:Prime Garnett vs Jokic would be an awesome matchup. Garnett's athleticism used to give Duncan serious trouble one on one.

Think he would get the same work Rudy is getting. Duncan or Hakeem or Howard would be interesting tho.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
bledredwine
RealGM
And1: 4,119

Post#13 » by bledredwine » Thu May 16, 2024 11:59 am

Yep. I saw him transform the Wolves culture on the defensive end.

He was worth it.
https://undisputedgoat.medium.com/jordan-in-the-clutch-30f6e7ed4c43
LBJ clutch- 19 of 104 career: https://www.yardbarker.com/nba/articles/lebron_james_has_only_made_19_of_107_shots_in_clutch_situation_during_his_career_178_fg_125_from_3_pointers/s1_16751_38344895
ballzboyee
Junior
And1: 457

Post#14 » by ballzboyee » Thu May 16, 2024 12:01 pm

Bloodbather wrote:

Yea, he's similar to Bird too in terms of shooting style and passing. All great players have some commonalities. The reason that say Barkley is that Jokic has a similar style in the post where he can leverage his body in a methodical way to get a shot off in just about any situation, and they both have this kind of unorthodox release where the ball can leave their hand at weird angle. They just look very similar to me in the post. Jokic is like a bigger version of Barkley, and he has the same kind of efficient game around the basket.

Anyway, Gobert is BBQ chicken. There is nothing you can do against a great offensive player that in his prime. Great offensive players vs great defensive player in the playoffs always ends the same way. Defender usually gets cooked.

nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,990

Post#15 » by nikster » Thu May 16, 2024 12:05 pm

hardenASG13 wrote:
CD_41 wrote:
Bloodbather wrote:

100%.

The other 2 don't ruin their teams offensive spacing though. It's been a tough series for Gobert.

It's not like Bam is great spacer. In the finals Denver was perfectly giving up Bam at the midrange. He scored a bunch but at 50TS%
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,175

Post#16 » by Lockdown504090 » Thu May 16, 2024 12:21 pm

Handlez wrote:Draymond is leading the Gobert hater pack, but Jokic is just HIM and would do this to anyone. Chuck jumped on the bandwagon. Fans jumped on the bandwagon.

I mean WTH?

Gobert doesn’t have the size to not get dislodged.guarding jokic is about keeping if of certain spots. Kawhi/artest/lebron are among the goat because they could keep guys if their spots AND contest. Rudy is lacking in the former. This is like mutombo guarding shaq compared to rodman and Hakeem. That’s why Rudy gets absolutely killed by both jokic and embiid .
In a 1 on 1 matchup , there’s very little difference between Rudy and miles turner
nikster
RealGM
And1: 11,990

Post#17 » by nikster » Thu May 16, 2024 12:23 pm

DimesandKnicks wrote:I don’t think there’s ever been another acclaimed defender who’s been unplayable in multiple playoff series. If there are any examples I’m all ears. It’s giving big fat phony

He's not unplayable this series....

He played great individual defense on Jokic. Most of his points came on other players, and when he did score on Gobert they were incredibly tough shots
thinktank
Analyst
And1: 2,081

Post#18 » by thinktank » Thu May 16, 2024 12:32 pm

One’s opinion of Gobert’s D is a great indicator of true basketball IQ.

If you don’t think Gobert’s D is among the all-time greats, you’re just not a great basketball mind.

It really is that simple and I don’t care who you are.

The fact that Jokic is the reason people are hating on Gobert right now is ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW.

You can either hate on Gobert or celebrate Jokic.

To not celebrate what Jokic is doing on Gobert is immensely disrespectful to Jokic.

Jokic deserves ALL the credit.
KAT in the 2024 playoffs: 19.1, 9.0, 2.6 on 46.6 / 36.1 / 85.5.
hardenASG13
Analyst
And1: 1,447

Post#19 » by hardenASG13 » Thu May 16, 2024 12:47 pm

thinktank wrote:One’s opinion of Gobert’s D is a great indicator of true basketball IQ.

If you don’t think Gobert’s D is among the all-time greats, you’re just not a great basketball mind.

It really is that simple and I don’t care who you are.

The fact that Jokic is the reason people are hating on Gobert right now is ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW.

You can either hate on Gobert or celebrate Jokic.

To not celebrate what Jokic is doing on Gobert is immensely disrespectful to Jokic.

Jokic deserves ALL the credit.

I think it's more that if Jokic can do this against Gobert, what's the upside in playing him more than Reid, who is a better offensive player and can shoot from outside 3 feet? His defense is forcing Jokic to take tough shots (I guess), but Jokic can make those shots. Seems like Minnesota has to try to adjust something....
brutalitops
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,494

Post#20 » by brutalitops » Thu May 16, 2024 12:52 pm

DimesandKnicks wrote:I don’t think there’s ever been another acclaimed defender who’s been unplayable in multiple playoff series. If there are any examples I’m all ears. It’s giving big fat phony

When has Gobert been unplayable this year?

Return to The General Board