Would JB Bickerstaff the Best Option for the Lakers?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

ryguy613
Sixth Man
And1: 1,773

Would JB Bickerstaff the Best Option for the Lakers? 

Post#1 » by ryguy613 » Thu May 16, 2024 5:46 pm

I actually havent really followed Bickerstaff's coaching style very closely, but if he's let go by the Cavs, he would seem like the only realistic coaching hire that could actually bring something of value to the Lakers. Everyone else is more of the same, young guy, former player, maybe a former assistant, no HC experience, total crapshoot. Thoughts on Bickerstaff working as Lakers HC?
KodiakBear
Sixth Man
And1: 2,208

Re: Would JB Bickerstaff the Best Option for the Lakers? 

Post#2 » by KodiakBear » Thu May 16, 2024 5:51 pm

Just make Lebron the player/coach like Bill Russell was at the end of his career.
Mallie
Sophomore
And1: 267

Post#3 » by Mallie » Thu May 16, 2024 6:02 pm

Does everybody on these boards nowadays think that each and every thought that passes through their dome is absolutely worth a thread?
ryguy613
Sixth Man

Post#4 » by ryguy613 » Thu May 16, 2024 6:13 pm

Mallie wrote:Does everybody on these boards nowadays think that each and every thought that passes through their dome is absolutely worth a thread?

really? With all the hot take threads about Jokic being overrated or LeBron being on steroids, or freaking magnet conspiracy theories... THIS is the one that offends you? a question about a potential coaching hire? lol
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,126

Post#5 » by ChipotleWest » Thu May 16, 2024 6:15 pm

KodiakBear wrote:Just make Lebron the player/coach like Bill Russell was at the end of his career.

Stopped being allowed in the 80's, but they might change the rules for Lebron.
ChipotleWest
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,126

Post#6 » by ChipotleWest » Thu May 16, 2024 6:16 pm

ryguy613 wrote:
Mallie wrote:Does everybody on these boards nowadays think that each and every thought that passes through their dome is absolutely worth a thread?

really? With all the hot take threads about Jokic being overrated or LeBron being on steroids, or freaking magnet conspiracy theories... THIS is the one that offends you? a question about a potential coaching hire? lol

Lebron being on steroids isn't crazy at all there was actually a ton of evidence he was linked to balco, but I don't even want to get into it.
Mallie
Sophomore
And1: 267

Post#7 » by Mallie » Thu May 16, 2024 6:19 pm

No, this one was just the last straw after the last couple of weeks of inane topics and tabloid-worthy takes.

Nothing personal. Definitely not as ridiculous as a lot of recent topics, just that this could be said about almost any coach available in the league. What's the argument for KBB's hiring? That he's not a rookie coach? Crap load of rethreads available that would jump on a chance to coach LAL.
Iwasawitness
Veteran
And1: 3,412

Post#8 » by Iwasawitness » Thu May 16, 2024 6:21 pm

ChipotleWest wrote:
ryguy613 wrote:

Lebron being on steroids isn't crazy at all there was actually a ton of evidence he was linked to balco, but I don't even want to get into it.

It’s crazy, there’s no evidence, don’t derail threads with such nonsense.
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:NBA: Stop kicking, punching, choking, and stomping on people.

Draymond: This is too much, I quit!
ryguy613
Sixth Man

Post#9 » by ryguy613 » Thu May 16, 2024 7:22 pm

Maybe it was a mistake to make this a Lakers specific thread. Obviously as a Lakers fan, I'm curious about a potential fit with the Lakers but in general I'm just curious if people feel like he would be the best available coach on the market if he were to be let go by the cavs. Is he viewed positively over all? What are his strengths and weaknesses? Do people think multiple teams will try to hire him?
jkvonny
Head Coach
And1: 5,903

Post#10 » by jkvonny » Thu May 16, 2024 7:24 pm

His dad, Bernie, used to be an assistant coach for LAL years back and also took over as interim one season, after firing another coach (Mike Brown, now with Sacramento).
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 25,159

Post#11 » by NyKnicks1714 » Thu May 16, 2024 7:26 pm

ryguy613 wrote:

I'm with you on garbage threads of that nature about Jokic and LeBron, but I'll take as many wackos posting paragraph-break-free rants about magnets as I can get, whether they're trolling or serious. That's entertaining as hell.
ryguy613
Sixth Man

Post#12 » by ryguy613 » Thu May 16, 2024 7:27 pm

NyKnicks1714 wrote:
ryguy613 wrote:

I'm with you on garbage threads of that nature about Jokic and LeBron, but I'll take as many wackos posting paragraph-break-free rants about magnets as I can get, whether they're trolling or serious. That's entertaining as hell.

...i cant lie. I click into most of those threads so, touché
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,889

Post#13 » by Roger Murdock » Thu May 16, 2024 7:30 pm

JB Bickerstaff will make Darvin Hamm look like Eric Spoelstra

JB is a fine coach for a team that needs to learn basic fundamentals, try hard on defense, and build a culture

If you have a team serious about competiting and want to win playoff series, he will not adjust. He doesn’t utilized players well together synergistically. He doesn’t adapt his system. He plays guys big minutes when they don’t need to.

If your teams aspiration is ‘win 40 games in 2-3 years and develop young talent’ i think he’d be a great hire. If you want to coach veterans and are serious about competing, I think he’s the worst hire possible

I think JB makes sense for teams like CHA, BRK, WAS, DET

He’d be *horrible* for the Lakers, Suns, etc
liquidswords
Pro Prospect
And1: 984

Post#14 » by liquidswords » Thu May 16, 2024 7:33 pm

*holds head* oh my gooddddddd do the lakers need to be linked to every single breathing coach????
ryguy613
Sixth Man

Post#15 » by ryguy613 » Thu May 16, 2024 7:34 pm

Roger Murdock wrote:JB Bickerstaff will make Darvin Hamm look like Eric Spoelstra

JB is a fine coach for a team that needs to learn basic fundamentals, try hard on defense, and build a culture

If you have a team serious about competiting and want to win playoff series, he will not adjust. He doesn’t utilized players well together synergistically. He doesn’t adapt his system. He plays guys big minutes when they don’t need to.

If your teams aspiration is ‘win 40 games in 2-3 years and develop young talent’ i think he’d be a great hire. If you want to coach veterans and are serious about competing, I think he’s the worst hire possible

I think JB makes sense for teams like CHA, BRK, WAS, DET

He’d be *horrible* for the Lakers, Suns, etc

thanks, that is more or less the perspective i was looking for.
ryguy613
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by ryguy613 » Thu May 16, 2024 7:35 pm

liquidswords wrote:*holds head* oh my gooddddddd do the lakers need to be linked to every single breathing coach????

...they arent being linked to him. IM JUST ASKING lol. Lakers derangement is real man. Lakers fans cant even just ask for peoples opinions on a coach without people complaining.
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,289

Post#17 » by Edrees » Thu May 16, 2024 7:47 pm

KodiakBear wrote:Just make Lebron the player/coach like Bill Russell was at the end of his career.

Or maybe the Lakers should just play 7 players on the court while the other team plays 5. that would solve things too.

Oh wait both are against the rules. would you look at that
Edrees
RealGM
And1: 11,289

Post#18 » by Edrees » Thu May 16, 2024 7:52 pm

jkvonny wrote:His dad, Bernie, used to be an assistant coach for LAL years back and also took over as interim one season, after firing another coach (Mike Brown, now with Sacramento).

He's still the winningest coach in lakers history (percentage wise)

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/lakers-coach-with-highest-win-percentage

COACH W%
Bernie Bickerstaff .800
Pat Riley .733
Jack McKinney .714
Paul Westhead .689
Phil Jackson .676
Bill Bertka .667
WentzerWuver
Rookie
And1: 384

Post#19 » by WentzerWuver » Thu May 16, 2024 8:34 pm

ryguy613 wrote:I actually havent really followed Bickerstaff's coaching style very closely, but if he's let go by the Cavs, he would seem like the only realistic coaching hire that could actually bring something of value to the Lakers. Everyone else is more of the same, young guy, former player, maybe a former assistant, no HC experience, total crapshoot. Thoughts on Bickerstaff working as Lakers HC?
No L'Eggo my Eggos as Bickerstaff does NOT fit with LAL. He is a better fit with an aspiring young team with no big egos on the roster. Ty Lue would be the best fit obviously cause he can handle BIG EGOS with the best of them. You cannot be a push over coach like if LeBron undermined a request, you as HC would bow saying whatever you wish my King. Just ask Ham.

Ty Lue and Kidd would fit best as neither are pushovers and their demands are absolute. Lebron should be a players/coach with his high IQ as suggested by many including the great Byron Scott.

Return to The General Board