Preliminary Olympics Rosters

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

_jin
Sixth Man
And1: 2,203

Preliminary Olympics Rosters 

Post#1 » by _jin » Thu May 16, 2024 6:11 pm

After the US unveiled their complete 12-man roster a month ago, other nations are starting to announce their own. Unlike the US they're using an extended preliminary roster, with South Sudan pre-selecting 50 players (!), Australia 17 and France 19. Canada, Germany, Japan, Serbia and the future winners of the 4 qualifiers are yet to announce their rosters.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,274

Re: Preliminary Olympics Rosters 

Post#2 » by UcanUwill » Thu May 16, 2024 7:39 pm

Killian got a FRANCE invite haha. Speaking about France, they had a hole at SF position, Tarpey has been very good for them, to the point Monaco signed him, but as we have seen this year, he wasn't Euroleague caliber player, at least Monaco coach didn't think that he was, he is strickly a French domestic league guy, I do not remember seeing him in Euroleague game once, I probably did, but I don't remember. Coulibaly might start for them already. Also to note, they did not invite their best PG, Heurtel, we thought that doors would finally be open to him, but they said no. Thomas Heurtel was black balled because of his signing with Russian club.

Overall, hosts rotation should look something like this :

Gobert / Fall / Poirier
Wembanyma / Batum / Yabuselle
Coulibaly / ?
Fournier / De Colo / Okobo
Albicy / Ntilikina / Hayes

Aussies look good. FIBA Mills' last dance most likely. I am not very well familiar with their non NBA players, so I wont comment further, we have seen Nick Kay for years now, these guys always ball, one of few teams that truly have advantage in a sense their team barely changes from year to year. US apologists often site that they have disadvantage, while in reality, a lot of Nations have different hotch botches of teams every summer as well.

Lithuania has not qualified yet, but it is likely that they might qualify. So far, if that happens, looks like most of their guys should play. Jonas commited, Butkevicius has become synonym to injuries, so I wouldn't count on him, but Grigonis, Sabonis, Ulanovas, Lekavicius should make a return to national team. Matas Buzelis might join the team. Sedekerskis has had a great season in Baskonia, despite team having one of its worst seasons ever, not even qualifying to Spanish play offs. Sedekerskis is still a guy who could make NBA jump, I think its not out of possibility.

World Champions - Germans, released a very surprising statement that their coach, Gordon Herbert, will leave the post after Olympics. He just won world cup, many players disappointed in Federation here.

Puerto Rico will play in their soil for Olympic ticket. their main contenders there will be already mentioned Lithuania, and also Italy. A lot of big names should suit up for Puerto Rico this time, including Euroleague's top scorer - Marcus Howard. Howard is 5'10 guy who only shoot 3s basically, but he is so good at shooting 3s off the catch, off balance, on the move, off the dribble, very quick release, he is one of those engima guys who if has a good game, could land ten 3s and bury any opponent. As Lithuanian fan, I am afraid of him, he gives me Mirza Teletovic flashbacks, Mirza was whole foot taller, but the idea is the exact same with these types of players who will shoot and hit anything.
hippesthippo
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,378

Post#3 » by hippesthippo » Thu May 16, 2024 7:43 pm

Wow, France has a damn smorgasbord of over-hyped guards that have been busts in the NBA: Killian Hayes, Frankie Smokes, Ellie Okobo, Theo Maledon... gd.

The Aussie squad looks pretty good. Looks like they have the potential to be a really good team defensively, but I'm not too sure about their offense. Patty Mills is old and I don't know much about a lot of their non-nba guys like Jack White.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#4 » by UcanUwill » Thu May 16, 2024 8:00 pm

hippesthippo wrote:Wow, France has a damn smorgasbord of over-hyped guards that have been busts in the NBA: Killian Hayes, Frankie Smokes, Ellie Okobo, Theo Maledon... gd.

The Aussie squad looks pretty good. Looks like they have the potential to be a really good team defensively, but I'm not too sure about their offense. Patty Mills is old and I don't a lot of the younger guys like Jack White

Ntlikina and to some degree, Hayes, were hyped up, but not by much. I wouldn't call Okobo or Maledon overhyped, they just didn't work out in the NBA, nothing to see here.

Okobo is pretty good Euroleague player, but he is 6'4 and he is just not very athletic at all, and is a guy who kind off decent at many things offensively, but not great at anything, so at NBA level, he is just nothing. He is probably more complete player than someone like Sam Houser, but Sam Houser can catch and shoot any 3 at 46% clip, so he is just much better suited to be a 10th. man in the NBA.

FRANCE's strong suit is definitely the bigs, Gobert, Wembanyma and Fall are all very different but all are pretty damn elite at what they do. Their PG and SF line is far from the best, but could be worse, lots of athleticism at least. FRANCE used to be lots of athleticism, not much of brain type of team in the past, team that would be terrible match up for anyone except the USA, because despite FRANCE always having big NBA names, they used to always try overwhelming teams with athleticism, but against USA, that doesn't work, because at that point you trying to beat your opponent with their own poison. USA used to struggle against teams like Greece and Lithuania, teams that will play slow and methodical, not run and gun FRANCE style. I think they got far more cerebral ever since DeColo, Gobert, Batum showed up. Tony Parker's teams always had the talent, and some success, but never put a consistent several year run.

Overall, I think Canada, Serbia and Germany will definitely be more balanced teams, with star players at almost every position, but France is the only team that can just start Gobert and Wembanyma, and at that point, who cares their point guard is Albicy or Ntlikina, you will have to shoot 3s and hope it is falling, you wont get many shots in the paint against these guys.
hippesthippo
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,378

Post#5 » by hippesthippo » Thu May 16, 2024 8:08 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
hippesthippo wrote:Wow, France has a damn smorgasbord of over-hyped guards that have been busts in the NBA: Killian Hayes, Frankie Smokes, Ellie Okobo, Theo Maledon... gd.

The Aussie squad looks pretty good. Looks like they have the potential to be a really good team defensively, but I'm not too sure about their offense. Patty Mills is old and I don't a lot of the younger guys like Jack White

Ntlikina and to some degree, Hayes, were hyped up, but not by much. I wouldn't call Okobo or Maledon overhyped, they just didn't work out in the NBA, nothing to see here.

Okobo is pretty good Euroleague player, but he is 6'4 and he is just not very athletic at all, and is a guy who kind off decent at many things offensively, but not great at anything, so at NBA level, he is just nothing. He is probably more complete player than someone like Sam Houser, but Sam Houser can catch and shoot any 3 at 46% clip, so he is just much better suited to be a 10th. man in the NBA.

FRANCE's strong suit is definitely the bigs, Gobert, Wembanyma and Fall are all very different but all are pretty damn elite at what they do. Their PG and SF line is far from the best, but could be worse, lots of athleticism at least. FRANCE used to be lots of athleticism, not much of brain type of team in the past, team that would be terrible match up for anyone except the USA, because despite FRANCE always having big NBA names, they used to always try overwhelming teams with athleticism, but against USA, that doesn't work, because at that point you trying to beat your opponent with their own poison. USA used to struggle against teams like Greece and Lithuania, teams that will play slow and methodical, not run and gun FRANCE style. I think they got far more cerebral ever since DeColo, Gobert, Batum showed up. Tony Parker's teams always had the talent, and some success, but never put a consistent several year run.

Overall, I think Canada, Serbia and Germany will definitely be more balanced teams, with star players at almost every position, but France is the only team that can just start Gobert and Wembanyma, and at that point, who cares their point guard is Albicy or Ntlikina, you will have to shoot 3s and hope it is falling, you wont get many shots in the paint against these guys.

Okobo in particular was a draftnik favorite, but it's not really worth taking up space in the thread.

You're right that you're not going to beat Team USA trying to play their style. Batum and De Colo are battle tested FIBA guys.

Getting past Batum, Wembenyama, and Gobert is going to be really difficult for any offense. I just don't know that they have the right PG to keep the game at their own pace and set them up in half-court sets.

I'm no expert on euro play by any means though, so take anything I say with a grain of salt.
EmpireFalls
Starter
And1: 3,884

Post#6 » by EmpireFalls » Thu May 16, 2024 8:20 pm

Y’all are going to learn the name Nadir Hifi this summer. And when they beat the US, don’t say we didn’t warn you.
thinktank
Analyst
And1: 2,081

Post#7 » by thinktank » Thu May 16, 2024 8:28 pm

EmpireFalls wrote:Y’all are going to learn the name Nadir Hifi this summer. And when they beat the US, don’t say we didn’t warn you.

All-name team nominee there fo sho.
KAT in the 2024 playoffs: 19.1, 9.0, 2.6 on 46.6 / 36.1 / 85.5.
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,942

Post#8 » by RookieStar » Thu May 16, 2024 8:58 pm

UcanUwill wrote:Killian got a FRANCE invite haha. Speaking about France, they had a hole at SF position, Tarpey has been very good for them, to the point Monaco signed him, but as we have seen this year, he wasn't Euroleague caliber player, at least Monaco coach didn't think that he was, he is strickly a French domestic league guy, I do not remember seeing him in Euroleague game once, I probably did, but I don't remember. Coulibaly might start for them already. Also to note, they did not invite their best PG, Heurtel, we thought that doors would finally be open to him, but they said no. Thomas Heurtel was black balled because of his signing with Russian club.

Gobert / Fall / Poirier
Coulibaly / ?

Aussies look good. FIBA Mills' last dance most likely. I am not very well familiar with their non NBA players, so I wont comment further, we have seen Nick Kay for years now, these guys always ball, one of few teams that truly have advantage in a sense their team barely changes from year to year. US apologists often site that they have disadvantage, while in reality, a lot of Nations have different hotch botches of teams every summer as well.

Lithuania has not qualified yet, but it is likely that they might qualify. So far, if that happens, looks like most of their guys should play. Jonas commited, Butkevicius has become synonym to injuries, so I wouldn't count on him, but Grigonis, Sabonis, Ulanovas, Lekavicius should make a return to national team. Matas Buzelis might join the team. Sedekerskis has had a great season in Baskonia, despite team having one of its worst seasons ever, not even qualifying to Spanish play offs. Sedekerskis is still a guy who could make NBA jump, I think its not out of possibility.

World Champions - Germans, released a very surprising statement that their coach, Gordon Herbert, will leave the post after Olympics. He just won world cup, many players disappointed in Federation here.

Puerto Rico will play in their soil for Olympic ticket. their main contenders there will be already mentioned Lithuania, and also Italy. A lot of big names should suit up for Puerto Rico this time, including Euroleague's top scorer - Marcus Howard. Howard is 5'10 guy who only shoot 3s basically, but he is so good at shooting 3s off the catch, off balance, on the move, off the dribble, very quick release, he is one of those engima guys who if has a good game, could land ten 3s and bury any opponent. As Lithuanian fan, I am afraid of him, he gives me Mirza Teletovic flashbacks, Mirza was whole foot taller, but the idea is the exact same with these types of players who will shoot and hit anything.

This Fall you speak of.... this can't be Tacko right??
_jin
Sixth Man

Post#9 » by _jin » Thu May 16, 2024 9:07 pm

UcanUwill wrote:Killian got a FRANCE invite haha. Speaking about France, they had a hole at SF position, Tarpey has been very good for them, to the point Monaco signed him, but as we have seen this year, he wasn't Euroleague caliber player, at least Monaco coach didn't think that he was, he is strickly a French domestic league guy, I do not remember seeing him in Euroleague game once, I probably did, but I don't remember. Coulibaly might start for them already. Also to note, they did not invite their best PG, Heurtel, we thought that doors would finally be open to him, but they said no. Thomas Heurtel was black balled because of his signing with Russian club.

Gobert / Fall / Poirier
Coulibaly / ?

Fall isnt on the shortlist, and I dont think both Lessort and Poirier make it and Lessort is a no brainer. Same with Yasubele, that's the big rotation already set. I'm not sure which way Collet is gonna go, but if I was the french coach I'd go:

Hayes/Strazel/Albicy
De Colo/Batum/Fournier/Coulibaly/Okobo or Cordinier
Wemby/Gobert/Yasubele/Lessort

I trust Hayes as a playmaker in FIBA when playing with Fournier and Wemby. It's not like the other options are better, Strazel and Albicy are more scorer than playmakers and Ntilikina and Maleon suck. I dont understand how Sylvain Francisco is missing, he'd have been my starting PG.

RookieStar wrote:This Fall you speak of.... this can't be Tacko right??

Moustapha Fall, 32yo french center who's developed into a top tier euroleague center over the past 5 years. Pretty much on the same level as Poirier.

EmpireFalls wrote:Y’all are going to learn the name Nadir Hifi this summer. And when they beat the US, don’t say we didn’t warn you.

Highly doubt he makes the squad but I wouldnt be against it.
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#10 » by UcanUwill » Thu May 16, 2024 9:14 pm

_jin wrote:

Gobert / Fall / Poirier
Coulibaly / ?

Fall isnt on the shortlist, and I dont think both Lessort and Poirier make it and Lessort is a no brainer. Same with Yasubele, that's the big rotation already set. I'm not sure which way Collet is gonna go, but if I was the french coach I'd go:

Hayes/Strazel/Albicy

I trust Hayes as a playmaker in FIBA when playing with Fournier and Wemby. It's not like the other options are better, Strazel and Albicy are more scorer than playmakers and Ntilikina and Maleon suck. I dont understand how Sylvain Francisco is missing, he'd have been my starting PG.

Moustapha Fall, 32yo french center who's developed into a top tier euroleague center over the past 5 years. Pretty much on the same level as Poirier.

Damn, I missed Fall is not here, I just assumed that he would. Why isn't he there, injury? France is absolutely stacked at center, I think Louvergne is very good, and he wouldn't even make France's center top 5, like no chance. But Fall is still third best center of theirs behind Wembanyama and Gobert IMO.

RookieStar wrote:
This Fall you speak of.... this can't be Tacko right??

:lol: No :lol:

Tacko is not even a top two giant basketball center named Fall. Moustapha and Youssoupha Falls exist.
_jin
Sixth Man

Post#11 » by _jin » Thu May 16, 2024 9:17 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
_jin wrote:

Gobert / Fall / Poirier
Coulibaly / ?

Hayes/Strazel/Albicy

Damn, I missed Fall is not here, I just assumed that he would. Why isn't he there, injury? France is absolutely stacked at center, I think Louvergne is very good, and he wouldn't even make France's center top 5, like no chance. But Fall is still third best center of theirs behind Wembanyama and Gobert IMO.

Just too much competition at the center spot. Wemby and Gobert are no brainers and it's hard to pass on Lessort after his last 2 seasons. There are only 12 spots and they dont really need a 4th center.
uraverage
Rookie
And1: 477

Post#12 » by uraverage » Thu May 16, 2024 9:21 pm

Can the Spurs and NBA risk Wemby playing in this?
UcanUwill
RealGM

Post#13 » by UcanUwill » Thu May 16, 2024 9:22 pm

_jin wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:
_jin wrote:Fall isnt on the shortlist, and I dont think both Lessort and Poirier make it and Lessort is a no brainer. Same with Yasubele, that's the big rotation already set. I'm not sure which way Collet is gonna go, but if I was the french coach I'd go:

Hayes/Strazel/Albicy

Just too much competition at the center spot. Wemby and Gobert are no brainers and it's hard to pass on Lessort after his last 2 seasons. There are only 12 spots and they dont really need a 4th center.

I am big Lessort fan, but I much rather have Fall as third/second center. Lessort is an athletic garbage man finisher, he is kind off overlaps with Gobert. Fall is one of the best post centers/passers right now, he offers completely different dimension of play than what Gobert and Wembanyma will offer. If its not injury but just Collet choice, do not understand this decision.

Especially considering guard rotation is on a weaker side, I would take a big who can create for himself and others in half court. Lessort is good as long as his guards create for him. Weird choice IMO.

We on Lithuanian side have similar conundrum. I think Motiejunas is our third best center hands down, but do we need him as third guy, when SAbonis and Valanciunas already on the team? guys who can score in the post, but cant switch. I imagine guy like Echodas would be a better pick for third center for Lithuanians, just because he is different. Fall isn't even worse than Lessort, if he was actually worse, than I would understand. Fall is main center on a team that has Milutinov, wtf?
_jin
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by _jin » Thu May 16, 2024 9:34 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
_jin wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:

I am big Lessort fan, but I much rather have Fall as third/second center. Lessort is an athletic garbage man finisher, he is kind off overlaps with Gobert. Fall is one of the best post centers/passers right now, he offers completely different dimension of play than what Gobert and Wembanyma will offer. If its not injury but just Collet choice, do not understand this decision.

Especially considering guard rotation is on a weaker side, I would take a big who can create for himself and others in half court. Lessort is good as long as his guards create for him. Weird choice IMO.

We on Lithuanian side have similar conundrum. I think Motiejunas is our third best center hands down, but do we need him as third guy, when SAbonis and Valanciunas already on the team? guys who can score in the post, but cant switch. I imagine guy like Echodas would be a better pick for third center for Lithuanians, just because he is different. Fall isn't even worse than Lessort, if he was actually worse, than I would understand. Fall is main center on a team that has Milutinov, wtf?

I think whoever Collet will take (Lessort or Poirier) will be viewed as Gobert's backup, so in that sense either make more sense than Fall. Wemby will probably play the 4 with Yasubele as backup (there's a chance Wemby plays SF and Yasubele starts at PF). I really like Fall, I love his career trajectory and he's a warrior but choices have to be made, 2 great centers will stay home no matter who's picked.
_jin
Sixth Man

Post#15 » by _jin » Thu May 16, 2024 9:44 pm

uraverage wrote:Can the Spurs and NBA risk Wemby playing in this?

Spurs would risk a lot more by preventing Wemby from playing. It's the Olympics, at home, an opportunity most athletes dont even have in their career, even the longest tenured ones like Lebron. And the NBA is going to be the biggest beneficiary of the olympics tournament.
Demagoog
Senior
And1: 2,090

Post#16 » by Demagoog » Thu May 16, 2024 9:47 pm

_jin wrote:

Spurs would risk a lot more by preventing Wemby from playing. It's the Olympics, at home, an opportunity most athletes dont even have in their career, even the longest tenured ones like Lebron. And the NBA is going to be the biggest beneficiary of the olympics tournament.

If France does this right they can elevate Wembanyama to global superstardom overnight, similar to Yao Ming. The marketing is almost more important than his actual play this summer.
FollowTheSound
Ballboy
And1: 16

Post#17 » by FollowTheSound » Thu May 16, 2024 10:41 pm

Why wouldn't Wemby represent his country at Olympics taking place in his country? It's his time to shine!
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,784

Post#18 » by Pachinko_ » Thu May 16, 2024 11:14 pm

France is one solid guard away from greatness.
Fournier and DeColo tried and tried to be that guy, and the new generation is probably not ready yet.
They sure have defenders tho!
lambchop
General Manager
And1: 9,355

Post#19 » by lambchop » Thu May 16, 2024 11:19 pm

One of the best shot makers in Europe IMO. Dude really has those contested threes down. We'll see how that translates to elite FIBA ball though.
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.
lambchop
General Manager
And1: 9,355

Post#20 » by lambchop » Thu May 16, 2024 11:21 pm

_jin wrote:

Yea, also if they deny him this, they can kiss future extension Talks goodbye.
So many people who attain the heights of power in this culture—celebrities, for instance—have to make a show of false humility and modesty, as if they got as far as they did by accident and not by ego or ambition.

Return to The General Board