What teams can Portland beat in the playoffs out West.

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

667Club
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#161 » by 667Club » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:09 pm

Unfortunatly i don't see Portland going to the playoffs. The West is so though .. It's going to be between Gstate, houston and the blazers for the last spot.
Craig McDermott
Banned User

Post#162 » by Craig McDermott » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:11 pm

farzi wrote:The Laker fans are pissed that other people aren't terrified of them...thats pretty funny to me.

I see it as trying to correct other fans' perceptions. Fans from other teams misperceive how LA's expectations are an inherent factor that propels them to overachieve. Hordes of fans have predicted them out of the playoffs for the last 3 offseasons. We've witnessed such bold statements as "Clippers are LA's better team" (Summer 05), "Hornets will bump LA out of the playoffs (Summer 06), "Lakers will be out of the race by midseason" (Summer 07).

The Lakers aren't likely to be eliminated by a franchise like Denver. Especially if they don't get HCA -- they have played like crap at Staples ever since Melo entered the league. The Portland bravado is even more humorous.
EFx2
Sophomore

Post#163 » by EFx2 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:15 pm

Bgil wrote:
As Ive said.. We beat GSW TWICE, Denver TWICE, Utah THREE TIMES, and New Orleans.. 8 solid wins out of the last 18..

1. The majority of that was done at home. Let's not forget 5-10 on the road.

2. Utah is not a "solid win" considering they're still in the bottom half of the conference right now and they went 5-11 in december. Denver and Golden State are 7 and 8 in the West. When Laker fan talk about how good our team is we don't go... OMG we beat Denver and Golden State OMGZZ!

Phoenix, reasonably healthy SA, Lakers, NO, Dallas are the "solid" wins in the West right now. Everyone else is playing weak ball right now and beating them means nothing.

Hrm the solid teams huh .. let's see. Even though the wins were at home (which shouldn't matter to solid teams) Blazers currently have these records out of the teams on your list.

Dallas: 1-1
Hornets: 2-1
Lakers: 0-0 (haven't played yet)
Phoenix: 0-0 (haven't played yet)
SA: 0-2

Also you could even include Boston and Detroit out east.

Boston: 0-0 (haven't played yet)
Detroit: 1-0

Not too shabby for a team predicted not to make the playoffs.

- - - - -

I also don't think you can discount the other wins against teams like Denver, Utah and Warriors especially if people like you are going to predict the Blazers are not even going to make the playoffs.

I can understand discounting those wins if our team was one of the elites out in the west but most people considered those teams better then the Blazers and predicted the Blazers to be toward the bottom of the conference. So those wins are solid for this team .. but maybe not solid wins for a team like the Spurs. :)
- Keith
BigOrangeBalls
Sixth Man
And1: 2

Post#164 » by BigOrangeBalls » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:52 pm

Tabasco wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Because of their homerific fans.

Nice generalization.

:clap:

Here is the Wikipedia definition:

Generalization is a foundational element of logic and human reasoning. Generalization posits the existence of a domain or set of elements, as well as one or more common characteristics shared by those elements. As such, it is the essential basis of all valid deductive inference. The process of verification is necessary to determine whether a generalization holds true for any given situation.

The concept of generalization has broad application in many related disciplines, sometimes having a specialized context-specific meaning.

For any two related concepts, A and B; A is considered a generalization of concept B if and only if:

every instance of concept B is also an instance of concept A; and
there are instances of concept A which are not instances of concept B.
For instance, animal is a generalization of bird because every bird is an animal, and there are animals which are not birds (dogs, for instance). (See also: specialization).

Since I have met fans from every team that are not homerific, every instance of B is not also an instance of A.

That would make the following statement also incorrect:

LA fans are front runners who don't follow their team when it has a losing record.
T.Duncan21
Junior
And1: 1

Post#165 » by T.Duncan21 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:29 pm

farzi wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

You sound like a genius!!!!

I really want to know what you have to say.

Forget the fact that atleast for today, we're 1st in our division, and 2 games back of the top spot in the entire western conference.
You can look at it like that while I look at it like you're only 3.5 games away from being 10th. I don't wanna sound like I'm hating on your team because I think you guys have an amazing team for the future. With another year of experience, Oden next year and most likely a free agent signing to fill a weakness... you guys will be a team to reckon with for a while until money and the spotlight become a problem with the ego's that start developing.
LALakers4ever
Senior

Post#166 » by LALakers4ever » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:35 pm

Portland? Portland? We talkin about Portland? That team will fade and end up with around 35 wins or so.

Teams that could be Portland in a series:

LAL
Spurs
Allas
Hornets
Jazz
Rockets
Suns
GS
Denver
Kings
T.Duncan21
Junior

Post#167 » by T.Duncan21 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:44 pm

Sorry but yo u need to put a D in front of Allas because they've been playin good defense for a couple of years. When Nash was on their team, I could understand that remark but every since Nash has left, they've been a top notch team defensively
Charlie78
Starter
And1: 81

Post#168 » by Charlie78 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:55 pm

I think at this point it can stop being abou the streak and start being just about the season. You forget to give us credit when you bash are early record for having the second hardest SOS for that period in the league. But yet bash us for having a bad one for the last ten. The Blazers are what they are at this point. A good team. We will know a lot more after this upcoming seven game stretch. If they go 4-3 and better i expect every hater out there to acknowledge that this team is more legit than you all thought.

The bottom line is we are beating the teams we should beat outside of a disatrous comeback by philly and then a couple of bad games following that most of our losses have come against playoff caliber teams. Of our 13 losses only four come against teams outside of the playoffs, and one of those was in utah were they are 14-3. But I guess you have a reason for that to Bgil. As well you seem to skip over that we have nearly identical records against the elite with you all having one more win against top ten and us one more aginst top 16. So what if the bottom 14 teams we have played have been slightly weaker than yours, against who counts we have been playing great.
Griever24
Pro Prospect

Post#169 » by Griever24 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:19 pm

farzi wrote:The Laker fans are pissed that other people aren't terrified of them...thats pretty funny to me.

Lmao who said anything about us being pissed ? were playing great right now and all we really demand is respect for these past 3 years of criticizing that kobe cant lead a team and were never gonna be good again.. Were now devoloping as a team and looking like we might give kobe what he deserves for his carrying of this team to the playoffs the past 2 seasons that everyone seems to have suddenly forgot ..(not to mention new excitment of our young center Andrew Bynum)

No person should ever think they're team is terrified of another and you best know damn well The Lakers are not scared of the blazers .. i actually hope we see you guys come playoff time would make an intresting series
BlzrsExplosion
Freshman

Post#170 » by BlzrsExplosion » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:38 pm

Bgil wrote:
It means absolutely nothing to Blazer fans, as we look towards the future.

So you guys are really looking forward to that 7-game road trip considering you're 5-10 on the road? Or looking forward to your schedule evening out? Or your 3 pt percentage dropping 60+ points? Or when Steve Blake stops shooting 60% from the 3 point line?

Of course we are looking forward to the 7 game road trip. The Blazers are playing very well. Much better than the team that started 0 and 9 on the road and 5 and 12 overall. I look forward to every challenge the team faces this year. So far they've played beyond expectations. Will they keep it up? Will they collapse? That's the INTERESTING part.
Bgil
Assistant Coach

Post#171 » by Bgil » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:01 pm

If they go 4-3 and better i expect every hater out there to acknowledge that this team is more legit than you all thought.

4-3 is "back down to earth", which is the point of everything I've said here. Right now, Blazers fans are claiming they can beat anyone in the West conference playoffs other than PHX and SA. To even remotely come to that conclusion they are assuming that their team is going to win games like they are now and play like they are now in the playoffs. That's pure bunk.

What happening to Portland right now is the perfect storm. The weakest schedule in the last 15 games of anyone in the league, a change in play (Roy distributing the ball) that no one has ever scouted you for, a massive overload of home games, and some incredibly hot 3 point shooting from Blake (at least 60%), Jones, and Webster.

None of that's gonna last.
"I'm sure they'll jump off the bandwagon. Then when we do get back on top, they're going to want to jump back on, and we're going to tell them there's no more room." - Kobe in March of 2005
candy for lunch
Sixth Man

Post#172 » by candy for lunch » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:40 pm

LALakers4ever wrote:Portland? Portland? We talkin about Portland? That team will fade and end up with around 35 wins or so.

I don't know, finishing the season 12-35 seems a little excessive if you ask me.

a change in play (Roy distributing the ball) that no one has ever scouted you for

Meanwhile all the real NBA scouts (who are unfortunate enough to read this forum) are laughing at you...
Fitz303
General Manager
And1: 1,824

Post#173 » by Fitz303 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:43 pm

Bgil wrote:
As Ive said.. We beat GSW TWICE, Denver TWICE, Utah THREE TIMES, and New Orleans.. 8 solid wins out of the last 18..

1. The majority of that was done at home. Let's not forget 5-10 on the road.

2. Utah is not a "solid win" considering they're still in the bottom half of the conference right now and they went 5-11 in december. Denver and Golden State are 7 and 8 in the West. When Laker fan talk about how good our team is we don't go... OMG we beat Denver and Golden State OMGZZ!

Phoenix, reasonably healthy SA, Lakers, NO, Dallas are the "solid" wins in the West right now. Everyone else is playing weak ball right now and beating them means nothing.

Hey, Mr. Hollinger.. By your STATS, the Jazz are 4th in the numbers power rankings.. You want to throw out your (Please Use More Appropriate Word) numbers but ignore the others

This is a pointless battle and im done with it.. You believe whatever you want to believe.. Ive stated the same case time and time again in here and you just dont actually read what I say.. You come off as this little kid that hears somebody say that theyre team could give your team a tough matchup and all the sudden you're like" NO, NO my teams awesome, your team sucks!! We play hard people, you play terrible people.. We would kill you, you suck!!" get the hell over it.. nobody is discrediting the lakers, just acknowledging that the blazers could give a lot of teams in the west a tough matchup
Fitz303
General Manager
And1: 1,824

Post#174 » by Fitz303 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:46 pm

LALakers4ever wrote:Portland? Portland? We talkin about Portland? That team will fade and end up with around 35 wins or so.

Teams that could be Portland in a series:

LAL
Spurs
Allas
Hornets
Jazz
Rockets
Suns
GS
Denver
Kings

Does it just suck to be you?? Thats the second post you've made thats completely stupid and just an awful attempt to be funny.. Youre an idiot kid
BlzrsExplosion
Freshman

Post#175 » by BlzrsExplosion » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:48 pm

Bgil wrote:
4-3 is "back down to earth", which is the point of everything I've said here. Right now, Blazers fans are claiming they can beat anyone in the West conference playoffs other than PHX and SA.

I don't think Blazers fans are claiming they'll even positively MAKE the playoffs. The claim is merely that they'll have a chance. And if the team plays at this level in the playoffs they'll stand a chance against anyone. Or maybe you think upsets never happen...
541Blaza
Sixth Man

Post#176 » by 541Blaza » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:27 pm

Bgil wrote:
If they go 4-3 and better i expect every hater out there to acknowledge that this team is more legit than you all thought.

4-3 is "back down to earth", which is the point of everything I've said here. Right now, Blazers fans are claiming they can beat anyone in the West conference playoffs other than PHX and SA. To even remotely come to that conclusion they are assuming that their team is going to win games like they are now and play like they are now in the playoffs. That's pure bunk.

What happening to Portland right now is the perfect storm. The weakest schedule in the last 15 games of anyone in the league, a change in play (Roy distributing the ball) that no one has ever scouted you for, a massive overload of home games, and some incredibly hot 3 point shooting from Blake (at least 60%), Jones, and Webster.

None of that's gonna last.

Weakest schedule? Back up your facts bud, because that's BS. You don't think teams have figured out the Blazers' system yet after 16-18 games of it? Please. Have you ever heard of scouts? The Warriors tried to throw a zone at us the other night and got owned, after they beat the Spurs. In fact, the Warriors had that game circled on the calendar, after the Blazers beat them earlier in the year. The Blazers still dominated them.

The Blazers will make it out of this road trip 5-2.
EFx2
Sophomore

Post#177 » by EFx2 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:04 pm

The only thing that gets me with Bgil is that he continues to say we played a weak schedule. Sure weak for an "elite team" which at this time Portland is not an elite team. Teams like NO, Denver, Utah and GS were (and still are to some) predicted to be better then the Blazers this season.

So if you take that into consideration we are beating teams that most people thought we wouldn't be able to. So schedule wise it's still a tough schedule for the Blazers and they have risen to the challenge and won these games. It's not weak competition to a young and up coming team like Portland.

Also the hot streak comments are getting a little old. I could understand if it was for a few games here and there .. but when the team continues to play the way it has over an 18 game stretch I find it more of a change of the way they play then some fluke or over achievement. They have learned how to play as a team which has made a world of difference and I don't see that changing any time soon. Amazing what some chemistry and having everyone on the same page can do for a team. :)
- Keith
Bgil
Assistant Coach

Post#178 » by Bgil » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:18 pm

541Blaza wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Weakest schedule? Back up your facts bud, because that's BS.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger ... rder=false

Weakest schedule in the past 10 games, 7 of which were played at home. Combined winning percentage of .425. The 8 games before that included games against Minnesota (.174), Memphis (.286), Milwaukee (.429) and 2 games against a Utah team that was in the middle of a 7 game losing streak. 5 of those 8 were played at home.

Doesn't get any easier than that.

but when the team continues to play the way it has over an 18 game stretch I find it more of a change of the way they play then some fluke or over achievement.

So answer me this:
Do you really believe Steve Blake is going to continue to shoot 56.7% from deep (38-67) the way he has in the past 19 games? Do you really believe that's not a fluke?

Do you also think James Jones is going shoot .540 for the entire season and set a new record for 3 point percentage (previous record is from Kerr in 1994-1995 at .520)?
"I'm sure they'll jump off the bandwagon. Then when we do get back on top, they're going to want to jump back on, and we're going to tell them there's no more room." - Kobe in March of 2005
farzi
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#179 » by farzi » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:30 pm

Bgil needs to stop drinking so much

Thank you for all the memories BRoy. You were a class act and brought hope to an entire region for 5 years. You will be missed.
Bgil
Assistant Coach

Post#180 » by Bgil » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:52 pm

Facts are facts.

You blazers fans need to stop drinking the

Return to The General Board