What teams can Portland beat in the playoffs out West.

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

farzi
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#181 » by farzi » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:35 pm

Look in every thread you post in. You think the Lakers are the best team in the league. Boston, SA, Phoenix? PFFT! Lakers are better than anyone in a 7 game series!
Thank you for all the memories BRoy. You were a class act and brought hope to an entire region for 5 years. You will be missed.
Bgil
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#182 » by Bgil » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:48 pm

farzi wrote:Look in every thread you post in. You think the Lakers are the best team in the league. Boston, SA, Phoenix? PFFT! Lakers are better than anyone in a 7 game series!

Please point to where I said anything about LA being better than BOS or SA? Your selective memory might have actually recalled a little something I said about the Hornets vs the Lakers but maybe not.. you seem to lie to yourself like that. Don't get all mad because we're better than the Blazers and Nugs just STFU and chill.
"I'm sure they'll jump off the bandwagon. Then when we do get back on top, they're going to want to jump back on, and we're going to tell them there's no more room." - Kobe in March of 2005
CupcakeNoFillin
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#183 » by CupcakeNoFillin » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:09 am

akikan wrote:i dont know, everyone was saying playoffs is a whole different monster when GSW went up against dallas, who they spanked throughout regular season, and we all know how that ended up when it came to a 7 game series.

I know seriously, **** all tha BS "playoff is another intergallactical spacial identity toughness mojo whatever" crap. as if everyone in the playoffs magically gets better and becomes unstoppable superheroes and **** like that. **** reminds me of last season when hella people on this site kept talking about how monsterous the mavericks would be against the warriors. wow.
Bgil
Assistant Coach

Post#184 » by Bgil » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:12 am

CupcakeNoFillin wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I know seriously, **** all tha BS "playoff is another intergallactical spacial identity toughness mojo whatever" crap. as if everyone in the playoffs magically gets better and becomes unstoppable superheroes and **** like that. **** reminds me of last season when hella people on this site kept talking about how monsterous the mavericks would be against the warriors. wow.

The intensity of the play does pick up quite a bit. Rotations change and the better players usually play more minutes while the fringe guys in the rotation disappear. Also everyone is in shape (generally). The scouting is far more in-depth because teams have much more time to watch film, come up with new gameplans etc.
"I'm sure they'll jump off the bandwagon. Then when we do get back on top, they're going to want to jump back on, and we're going to tell them there's no more room." - Kobe in March of 2005
CupcakeNoFillin
Banned User

Post#185 » by CupcakeNoFillin » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:21 am

Bgil wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

The intensity of the play does pick up quite a bit. Rotations change and the better players usually play more minutes while the fringe guys in the rotation disappear. Also everyone is in shape (generally). The scouting is far more in-depth because teams have much more time to watch film, come up with new gameplans etc.

I know that. I'm just saying that nothing is guaranteed, yet people act like they know what will happen most of the time. People are so accustomed to seeing the Blazers as a bad team for many years, that they end up thinking that they can't win a series in the playoffs in 2008 (if they make it).

It's like, "If the Blazers make the playoffs, they will lose in the 1st round". Psh, I don't care if they're the 3rd youngest team in NBA history, they are still professional basketball players and are capable of getting to the 2nd round. If all these "guarantee"s by people were so true, then Portland would have never won 13 games in a row and also 17 of their last 18 this season without Oden playing.
Charlie78
Starter
And1: 81

Post#186 » by Charlie78 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:18 am

you honestly dont think 4-3 would be a successful 7 game road trip with the likes of Boston, Orlando, NO, and Atlanta all playoff teams. Please the longer you go on the more you sound bitter. Understand nobody is saying the blazers are better than the lakers but it is a hell of a lot closer than you seem to think.
EFx2
Sophomore

Post#187 » by EFx2 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:27 am

So answer me this:
Do you really believe Steve Blake is going to continue to shoot 56.7% from deep (38-67) the way he has in the past 19 games? Do you really believe that's not a fluke?

Do you also think James Jones is going shoot .540 for the entire season and set a new record for 3 point percentage (previous record is from Kerr in 1994-1995 at .520)?

Of course not but that's not the single most reason this team is winning right now. We can still win even if they don't have hot hands. Is it really that hard to fathom that this team might actually be turning the corner now and might just be a decent team that could make the playoffs? .. winning the last 17 of 18 games is not a fluke.
- Keith
AZ BLAZER
Starter

Post#188 » by AZ BLAZER » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:44 am

Faker fans do realize that by their team having to lower themselves to play Milwaukee their SOS will decline, right? Too bad you have to play every team in the league and and the actual schedule that the NBA assigns to your team. It is a shame that Portland was able to make their schedule up in order to win all of those games early to build up momentum. Where is the green font when you need it?
Charlie78
Starter
And1: 81

Post#189 » by Charlie78 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:30 am

Funniest comment of the Lakers Buck game. About 30 seconds in the announcers say "The lakers have been playing very well even though not aginst the toughest competetion"
Duiz
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#190 » by Duiz » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:52 am

Utah can beat portland if they man up.

But I think sooner or later Portland will fall back to the ground.
Nuggets_Talk
Head Coach
And1: 2,296

Post#191 » by Nuggets_Talk » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:23 am

Fitz303 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Denver TWICE, Utah THREE TIMES, Golden State TWICE, Toronto, New Orleans

Over half of our games (9 out of 16) have been against playoff level competition.. Not saying they beat anybody in the playoffs, but youre delusional if you think the Blazers havent played excellent basketball so far.. Theyre a good team, and it will be a good matchup when those 2 teams play this season.. stop your crying

one of those denver wins wasnt against playoff level competition - half our team was out.
Nuggets_Talk
Head Coach

Post#192 » by Nuggets_Talk » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:25 am

BigOrangeBalls wrote:I think the real question of this thread is:

Why do the Blazers inspire such hate?

It's too bad, really. I was hoping that people on RealGM would actually have fun debates, not just hate on the other teams.

For the record, I think the Blazers match up pretty well against the Warriors, Suns and Mavs. They have a good chance against New Orleans, Houston or Utah. Denver would be tough at full strength. LA could happen... No chance against the Spurs.

The Blazers will make the playoffs. (I didn't think so at the beginning of the season).

to be honest, i think the "hate" is in reaction to portlands fans...not the team itself. these fans are asking for these types of replies.
yunggunz
Lead Assistant

Post#193 » by yunggunz » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:31 am

Nuggets_Talk wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

to be honest, i think the "hate" is in reaction to portlands fans...not the team itself. these fans are asking for these types of replies.

Exactly. Im a Nuggets fan, but i really like watching the Blazers and really like their team.

but when you hear the ridiculous **** on this board (not just the Blazers, but especially the Blazers and Lakers of late) it makes you try to hate them.
J~Rush
Head Coach
And1: 28

Post#194 » by J~Rush » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:31 am

yunggunz wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Exactly. Im a Nuggets fan, but i really like watching the Blazers and really like their team.

but when you hear the ridiculous **** on this board (not just the Blazers, but especially the Blazers and Lakers of late) it makes you try to hate them.

Agreed, it's dumb to dislike a team because of its fans.
e
Fitz303
General Manager
And1: 1,824

Post#195 » by Fitz303 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:31 am

one of those denver wins wasnt against playoff level competition - half our team was out.

And the other one was without Aldridge, yet we still won.. Injuries happen.. But im not saying anything negative about the Nuggets, nor any other team.. Im happy that my team is playing good team basketball, and time will tell where they end up at the end of the season
Nuggets_Talk
Head Coach

Post#196 » by Nuggets_Talk » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:08 am

Fitz303 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

And the other one was without Aldridge, yet we still won.. Injuries happen.. But im not saying anything negative about the Nuggets, nor any other team.. Im happy that my team is playing good team basketball, and time will tell where they end up at the end of the season

missing one player doesnt equate to what we had out. it wasnt exactly a quality win over a playoff team, asyou like to point out over and over.
AZ BLAZER
Starter

Post#197 » by AZ BLAZER » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:24 am

How pathetic. A fan of a team that is not Portland starts this pathetic thread to incite Portland fans into responding in kind. You expect Portland fans to just roll over and let you yahoos trash our team? Think again.

You all can keep complaining about how your team was banged up and missing players due to injury but forget Portlands leading scorer/rebounder missed five games in this stretch. You complain that the Portland schedule was weak but they have played the one given them. Keep complaining, who the hell cares.

Portland was not playing up to their capabilities early in the season. They decided to put Roy in charge of the offense and the result has been 17 wins in 18 tries. Do you expect Portland fans to apologize for our team having figured out how to win? Apologize for sharing the ball and finding the open man? For playing very tough defense? No apologies here. I am just looking forward to the games. Non Portland fans should just circle the date on the calender when Portland is in town and go watch an unselfish team play NBA basketball. Just shut the hell up and play ball!
Bgil
Assistant Coach

Post#198 » by Bgil » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:32 am

EFx2 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Of course not but that's not the single most reason this team is winning right now. We can still win even if they don't have hot hands. Is it really that hard to fathom that this team might actually be turning the corner now and might just be a decent team that could make the playoffs? .. winning the last 17 of 18 games is not a fluke.

It is a fluke just like Steve Blake and James Jones shooting all-world 3 point percentages are a fluke. Just like playing 12 out of 17 games at home is a fluke. Just like playing 14 games against teams with a approx .400 record + 2 games against Utah amidst their 7 games losing streak is a fluke.

There's at least 4 or 5 different "flukes" going on at the same time. Therefore you can't use those games as impetus to say you can beat anyone in 7 games outside of SA and Phoenix. Only Blazer fans believe that. Even the statistical analysis of your 17-1 streak barely moves you ahead of teams like GS and Denver. That's how ridiculous the situation is.
yunggunz
Lead Assistant

Post#199 » by yunggunz » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:34 am

[quote="AZ BLAZER"][/quote]

After all this, the Blazer are still only tied for 8th best record in the league. If you only read this thread, you wouldnt think that.

Bottom line, Blazers are better than 80 percent of the non-blazer fans give them credit for. And they are worse than 80 percent of the blazer fans give them credit for.
Nonstop
Pro Prospect
And1: 294

Post#200 » by Nonstop » Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:38 am

It is a fluke just like Steve Blake and James Jones shooting all-world 3 point percentages are a fluke. Just like playing 12 out of 17 games at home is a fluke. Just like playing 14 games against teams with a approx .400 record + 2 games against Utah amidst their 7 games losing streak is a fluke.

There's at least 4 or 5 different "flukes" going on at the same time. Therefore you can't use those games as impetus to say you can beat anyone in 7 games outside of SA and Phoenix. Only Blazer fans believe that. Even the statistical analysis of your 17-1 streak barely moves you ahead of teams like GS and Denver. That's how ridiculous the situation is.

well if we somehow "fluke" our way deep into the playoffs, i wouldnt be mad one bit...

how about we hope to "fluke" out a championship...

Return to The General Board