ESPN: C-webb to GS by Tuesday

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

magicfan4life05
RealGM
And1: 198

ESPN: C-webb to GS by Tuesday 

Post#1 » by magicfan4life05 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:16 am

Chris Webber's unlikely but fast-moving return to the Golden State Warriors is on course to be completed by Tuesday, according to sources close to the negotiations.

Barring an unexpected change of heart, sources said, Webber will accept the invitation from former coach Don Nelson and former teammate Chris Mullin to come back to the team with whom he won NBA Rookie of the Year honors in 1994, only for Webber to force a trade to Washington some six months later when his prickly relationship with Nelson collapsed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3217920

REUNITED AND IT FEELS SOOOOOO GOOD!!
Dwight Howard on his FT struggles:

"I just think everybody needs to stop talking about it," Howard said. "There's more to life than free throws."
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#2 » by miller31time » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:18 am

Interesting. But a fast-paced, frantic system like the Warriors doesn't seem to be the best thing for the guy. His passing will be nice, but it will take half-court sets to implement that.
TMACFORMVP
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 161

Post#3 » by TMACFORMVP » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:23 am

Yeah I wonder how he'd fit in their system. He's already on the downfall of his career and has taken half a season off playing no real competitive basketball. His passing ability should fit in nicely though.
djtruebeliever
Bench Warmer
And1: 0
Location: between the click of the light and the start of the dream

Post#4 » by djtruebeliever » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:25 am

it seems like a stretch to me imagining cweb running fast-breaking down the court, but who knows? at least it will give them a big who can hit a 10-15 footer, which of course biedrins can't.
I'm in Kokokiko!
BROWN
RealGM
And1: 74

Post#5 » by BROWN » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:44 am

imagine cwebb running the break behind the back and dunkin on sir charles.

oh wait...
CupcakeNoFillin
Banned User

Post#6 » by CupcakeNoFillin » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:44 am

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Why Chris, why! Why did you have to leave us when you could have won a championship here in the 90s!!!! Remember that dunk on Barkley??! You could have had more of those here! You were rookie of the year!

Ahh, it's a shame that Nellie and Webber caused them to split up, and now all of a sudden after over a decade they wanna get together. Damn what could have been.

CupcakeNoFillin
Banned User

Post#7 » by CupcakeNoFillin » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:45 am

djtruebeliever wrote:it seems like a stretch to me imagining cweb running fast-breaking down the court, but who knows? at least it will give them a big who can hit a 10-15 footer, which of course biedrins can't.

Patrick O'Bryant can do a sky hook from 15 feet out, but Nellie can't even give him playing time! :(
CupcakeNoFillin
Banned User

Post#8 » by CupcakeNoFillin » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:50 am

miller31time wrote:Interesting. But a fast-paced, frantic system like the Warriors doesn't seem to be the best thing for the guy. His passing will be nice, but it will take half-court sets to implement that.

Warriors don't run and gun ALL THE TIME. Andris Biedrins is shooting over 63% on the field for a reason. The Warriors just need that big man who can step in and help make plays in the half court set. Chris Webber will probably be very effective coming off the bench to pair up with Biedrins and making Biedrins' 63-65% FG percentage even better.

Warriors lead the league (or 2nd in the league) in points in the paint anyways. Chris Webber can dish out assists to a cutting Monta Ellis, Matt Barnes, Mickael Pietrus, Al Harrington, Stephen Jackson, Kelenna Azubuike, Andris Biedrins, Baron Davis, CJ Watson, Marco Belinelli etc. etc. etc.

But damn, he's so old. He should have been stayed with us and formed a Tim Hardaway, Latrell Sprewell, Chris Mullin, Chris Webber type of core to compete for a championship.
David Robinson
Inactive user
Inactive user
Location: Mr. Robinson's neighborhood. MY SPURS > YOUR INFERIOR SQUAD !!

Post#9 » by David Robinson » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:50 am

Finishing his career the way he started it. Would normally consider to be perfect closure, but then you look back and realize it's Chris Webber's career, and you quickly understand that he's pretty much been nothing but a failure, and hasn't won anything besides a rookie of the year trophy 14 years ago.

--The great David Robinson
CupcakeNoFillin
Banned User

Post#10 » by CupcakeNoFillin » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:19 am

David Robinson wrote:Finishing his career the way he started it. Would normally consider to be perfect closure, but then you look back and realize it's Chris Webber's career, and you quickly understand that he's pretty much been nothing but a failure, and hasn't won anything besides a rookie of the year trophy 14 years ago.

--The great David Robinson

Yeah and Gary Payton was/is thinking of joining Golden State too. It would have been ok for Gary Payton to join the team at this point of his career, since he already won a championship with the Heat.
crzy
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by crzy » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:27 am

I have low expectations for this move, but at least it will provide some entertainment.
a-rod
Assistant Coach
And1: 21

Post#12 » by a-rod » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:32 am

[quote="David Robinson"]Finishing his career the way he started it. Would normally consider to be perfect closure, but then you look back and realize it's Chris Webber's career, and you quickly understand that he's pretty much been nothing but a failure, and hasn't won anything besides a rookie of the year trophy 14 years ago.

--The great David Robinson,

OK :roll:
pillwenney wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:No thanks to Deng. I read a rumor surfing hoopshype awhile back saying Gay for Reke is a possibility.

Must be true, if it's a rumor you read on Hoopshype.
:rofl:
MbengaforMVP
Freshman
And1: 1

Post#13 » by MbengaforMVP » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:34 am

I see this ending badly, unless he's in much better shape than I think he is. If so, I can see where his passing and shooting could be useful. Still, he's taking a big gamble here, because if he does something that causes the Warriors a playoff spot, he'll be thrown off of the Bay Bridge. I'm not joking... a lot of people in the Bay Area loathe him.
YiYaoYue
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by YiYaoYue » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:45 am

seems like webber got afraid of lakers falling off playoff picture with bynum's injury. Also it isn't inviting when brown is getting booed by fans, too much pressure to play well.

he should have tried to get into a non fast paced team, but well he's now going to have to get his conditioning up to shape. I think he can still help the warriors... especially getting another big man to rebound off the bench something bwright isn't doing for them... biedrens went buck wild today, but he can't do that every night ( i dont think).

To those saying he isn't going to fit: its true he is better off in a half court offense, but it isn't like they need webber on the break... he can just trod along on the other side of the court and turn around quickly and he'll be back on defense (well just def rebounding for the most part). When warriors do start moving the ball they get another post presence to help kick out the ball to an open shooter.
crzy
Lead Assistant

Post#15 » by crzy » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:49 am

The only reason that Webber is close to signing with the Warriors, is that reportedly the Lakers low-balled him by offering him two 10-day contracts.

Otherwise, I'm sure he wouldn't want to play center for Don Nelson again, or, rather, play for Don Nelson period.
YiYaoYue
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by YiYaoYue » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:00 am

crzyyafrican wrote:The only reason that Webber is close to signing with the Warriors, is that reportedly the Lakers low-balled him by offering him two 10-day contracts.

Otherwise, I'm sure he wouldn't want to play center for Don Nelson again, or, rather, play for Don Nelson period.

As much as mitch was right to keep bynum... he's an idiot for both the kwame trade and now not doing everything he can to try and get some more bigs... sorry, but 2 months of having luke play PF part time isn't going to work.
Spykes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16

Post#17 » by Spykes » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:05 am

Seems like a bad fit at Webber's age, but I guess we'll get to see...

I'm giving it 15 games before Webber is consistently riding the bench and wanting out of GS.
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,502

Post#18 » by Ballings7 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:19 am

Overall, I don't like it for both sides... the main thing being the Warriors aren't a title contender.

Detroit, Boston, Lakers (dark horse) would be superior fits for Webber.

It will be interesting to watch, though.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
MbengaforMVP
Freshman

Post#19 » by MbengaforMVP » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:19 am

crzyyafrican wrote:The only reason that Webber is close to signing with the Warriors, is that reportedly the Lakers low-balled him by offering him two 10-day contracts.

More to the point, why the hell would Nelson want to sign him?
The_Believer
Pro Prospect

Post#20 » by The_Believer » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:21 am

The Dubs with a post prescence would be an instant title contender, but idk if C-Web is that caliber anymore.

Return to The General Board