Lebron and 1999/2000 Shaq? How dominant would they be

Moderators: infinite11285, Domejandro, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

B-Scott
Head Coach
And1: 94

Lebron and 1999/2000 Shaq? How dominant would they be 

Post#1 » by B-Scott » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:41 pm

If Lebron had 1999/2000 Shaq on his team,how dominant do you think they would be. I think everyone would agree that this particular Lebron is much better then the 1999/2000 version of Kobe who was still developing his game. That year Kobe averaged 22.5 points, 6.3 rebounds and and 5 assist and shot 47% from the field. But that's with Shaq.

Lebron right now is just flat out ridiculous averaging 30 points, 7 rebounds, 7 assist and shooting 48% from the field. Keep in mind he is doing this without a Shaq. Imagine his shooting percentage if he played with Shaq. Lebron would probably shoot 52% from the field.

If Lebron can lead a Ilgauskas and Drew Gooden to the NBA Finals and get them past the Pistons to get there,how would he do with Shaq in his prime who averaged 29.7 points, 13.6 rebounds and shot 57.4% from the field.
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Post#2 » by Flash3 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:43 pm

IMO, I still think that only Kobe or MJ could've done what Kobe/Shaq did that season when they went against that competition out west.

As good as Bron is, and he's damn good, his shot just isn't as good as Kobe's is/was from ANYWHERE on the court.

But, I digress.....
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
Mad Balla 15
RealGM
And1: 1,930

Post#3 » by Mad Balla 15 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:54 pm

Flash3 wrote:IMO, I still think that only Kobe or MJ could've done what Kobe/Shaq did that season when they went against that competition out west.

As good as Bron is, and he's damn good, his shot just isn't as good as Kobe's is/was from ANYWHERE on the court.

But, I digress.....

Things change though with each player so of course we can't predict what the outcome would be. For arguments sake, LeBron would and is regarded as less selfish than Kobe. Therefore the Lakers may not have been in many close games because James would have differed to Shaq more than Kobe would've most likely.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#4 » by miller31time » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:03 pm

I think LeBron's game would actually regress (and I don't mean just statistically). Even though 99/00 Shaq is a thousand times better than Ilgauskas, Big Z stretches the defense with his mid-range shooting ability, giving LeBron a path to the basket basically 24/7. Shaq would clog the lane and limit James to a lot more perimeter jumpshots than he'd like.

The talent, however, would still be enough for a championship. I just don't like the player match.
Milan24
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#5 » by Milan24 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:09 pm

Lebron would probably shoot 52% from the field.

I personally don't think Lebron would shoot a higher percentage. He would be about the same or slightly lower. Lebron shoots a high % because he gets out and runs the floor to get alot of dunks and layups. That Lakers team didn't play fast break ball which is Lebron's strength. His dunks and layups would go down with Shaq in the middle taking up alot of Lebron's shots.

That version of Kobe also took 4 shots less a game the Lebron is taking so you have to assume Lebron's shots would go down also.

how would he do with Shaq in his prime

The same as Kobe, win a championship.
B-Scott
Head Coach

Post#6 » by B-Scott » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:19 pm

Lebron gets in the paint a lot more then even 2000 Kobe so that would result in a lot more dunks for Shaq and open shots for guys like Fisher, Horry, Fox and others. That's if you replaced Kobe with Lebron.
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Post#7 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:31 pm

Lebron can't shoot jumpers, defend, doesn't have that killer instinct to the extent that KB24 has , and he can't shoot ft's like Kobe. Lebron and Shaq would be a bad ft shooting duo. Great players, bad combo.
Milan24
Bench Warmer

Post#8 » by Milan24 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:32 pm

B-Scott wrote:Lebron gets in the paint a lot more then even 2000 Kobe so that would result in a lot more dunks for Shaq and open shots for guys like Fisher, Horry, Fox and others. That's if you replaced Kobe with Lebron.

Because the Cavs play fast break basketball, that Lakers team did not. You should know that, considering you call yourself a Laker fan. That in it self would reduce Lebron getting into the paint and factor in Shaq clogging the lane he would even get less looks in the paint.
Milan24
Bench Warmer

Post#9 » by Milan24 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:34 pm

You also have to factor in that Kobe's development was slowed by the presence of Shaq and so would Lebron's if he played with a prime Shaq so he would be the same player that he is today.
B-Scott
Head Coach

Post#10 » by B-Scott » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:37 pm

Kobe's jumper was not consistent in 1999/2000. He was actually injured to start the season and the Lakers started off 12-3 without him. Shaq was ridiculous that season. The Lakers with Van Exel and Eddie Jones got to the WCF in 1998.

Lebron not getting his props.
B-Scott
Head Coach

Post#11 » by B-Scott » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:51 pm

Milan24 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Because the Cavs play fast break basketball, that Lakers team did not. You should know that, considering you call yourself a Laker fan. That in it self would reduce Lebron getting into the paint and factor in Shaq clogging the lane he would even get less looks in the paint.

Shaq posting up is not going to prevent Lebron from getting inside the paint. Did it prevent Kobe from crossing up Pippen in Game 7 of the WCF and getting in the paint and tossing the alleyoop to Shaq?

Lebron would do the same,only more often. It doesn't have to be a fastbreak. Lebron can break you down in a halfcourt set and if you stay with Shaq,Lebron is finishing at the rim. If you help out on Lebron he will toss the alleyoop to Shaq or kick out to Fisher, Horry or Glen Rice for the wide open 3. Pick your poison

Lebron will get in the paint no matter what and with Glen Rice, Fisher, Horry spotting up for 3 if you try and clogg up the lanes Lebron will simply kick out for the wide open 3.
GIVE_WADE_THE_MAX
Banned User

Post#12 » by GIVE_WADE_THE_MAX » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:52 pm

miller31time wrote:I think LeBron's game would actually regress (and I don't mean just statistically). Even though 99/00 Shaq is a thousand times better than Ilgauskas, Big Z stretches the defense with his mid-range shooting ability, giving LeBron a path to the basket basically 24/7. Shaq would clog the lane and limit James to a lot more perimeter jumpshots than he'd like.

didnt wade lead the league in points in the paint his first year with Shaq?
Milan24
Bench Warmer

Post#13 » by Milan24 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:57 pm

Kobe's jumper was not consistent in 1999/2000

And Lebron's is?

He was actually injured to start the season and the Lakers started off 12-3 without him.

Big **** deal.

Shaq was ridiculous that season.

No doubt. MVP of the league.
The Lakers with Van Exel and Eddie Jones got to the WCF in 1998

And Shaq and I forgot, how many championships did they win again?. While Shaq and Kobe won 3 championships.

Lebron not getting his props.

For what, a hypothetical situation that no one really knows what might happen. Image

B-Scott on Lebron.Image
Milan24
Bench Warmer

Post#14 » by Milan24 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:59 pm

GIVE_WADE_THE_MAX wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

didnt wade lead the league in points in the paint his first year with Shaq?

Was that a prime Shaq? Didn't think so. A prime Shaq completly dominated the paint.

Shaq 99/00 21 shots a game
Shaq 1st season with Heat 15 shots a game
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#15 » by miller31time » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:04 pm

GIVE_WADE_THE_MAX wrote:didnt wade lead the league in points in the paint his first year with Shaq?

3 points...

1. It might be the exception rather than the rule.

2. Wade had a perimeter-oriented power forward in Haslem.

3. Shaq played 34 minutes per game (not the 40 he would have played had it been 1999-2000).

I'm not saying LeBron would go from scoring a majority of his points from the inside to coming up empty. I'm just saying his interior presence would be reduced unless he at least had a perimeter oriented power forward (ala Haslem).
Seattlesun
Head Coach
And1: 359

Post#16 » by Seattlesun » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:05 pm

Lebron with 99-00 Shaq would win the championship, just like Kobe with 99-00 shaq did.

Perhaps the more relevant question would be whether or not Lebron would have created petty differences that required splitting the two up so they couldnt win more championships?
Craig McDermott
Banned User

Post#17 » by Craig McDermott » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:13 pm

Seattlesun wrote:Lebron with 99-00 Shaq would win the championship, just like Kobe with 99-00 shaq did.

Perhaps the more relevant question would be whether or not Lebron would have created petty differences that required splitting the two up so they couldnt win more championships?

Kobe didn't create the differences all on his own, non-Laker fan. Shaq started ostracizing him from the rest of the vets from Kobe's rookie season. Slapped him during practice once, derided him at team table meetings. Research before making claims like that.

As to the claim that Player B would've won a title w/ Shaq in the same circumstances (2000-2002): I've been reading and posting at this site since 2002. I've seen that same argument made about Paul Pierce, TMac, VC (haha), and Wade. Not saying Bron necessarily wouldn't have, but it's interesting to note how the purveyors of "Player B" arguments seem to quiet down after their boy has been exposed as inferior to Kobe.
Milan24
Bench Warmer

Post#18 » by Milan24 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:19 pm

Seattlesun wrote:Lebron with 99-00 Shaq would win the championship, just like Kobe with 99-00 shaq did.

Are you forgetting what Shaq's ego was like back then. Do you really think he wouldn't of had a problem with someone who nicknamed themself "King" before he even played in the NBA.
CB4MiamiHeat
General Manager
And1: 2

Post#19 » by CB4MiamiHeat » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:33 pm

cmon we know the point of this thread is to put down Kobe.. :sleep2:
Milan24
Bench Warmer

Post#20 » by Milan24 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:36 pm

CB4MiamiHeat wrote:cmon we know the point of this thread is to put down Kobe.. :sleep2:

Exactly, Thank you.

Return to The General Board