2nd Round: Detroit vs. Orlando - Series DET leads (1-0)

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Who wins this 2nd round series?

Detroit in 4
9%
Detroit in 5
19%
Detroit in 6
27%
Detroit in 7
7%
Orlando in 4
3%
Orlando in 5
1%
Orlando in 6
24%
Orlando in 7
11%

Total votes: 127

Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,767

Post#1101 » by Cammo101 » Tue May 6, 2008 3:59 pm

Da-Met wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Hey, you're the one who started extended bad calls from earlier in the game.... ALL THE WAY TO THE END OF THE GAME with your "we woulda been up by xx" comments. I'm just doing the same thing.

I'm just using your impeccable and unbreakable logic.

The 3 calls I talked about were 2 from the final minute and one of the biggest playoff screw ups i can remember. slightly different on the importance meter than some random no call half way through the third. Both teams had plenty of those as bad as the refs were.
triplet1984
General Manager
And1: 177

Post#1102 » by triplet1984 » Tue May 6, 2008 4:04 pm

Cammo101 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

The 3 calls I talked about were 2 from the final minute and one of the biggest playoff screw ups i can remember. slightly different on the importance meter than some random no call half way through the third. Both teams had plenty of those as bad as the refs were.

actually it isn't different on the importance meter. No matter how stupid a scenario it was, it was still just 3 points in the 3rd quarter... that's the equivalent of one or two bad foul calls.

Its important only in the sense that the NBA is going to have to tweak the wording of the rules, but as far as the ACTUAL GAME goes its no more important than a bad foul call of which there were many.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#1103 » by Cammo101 » Tue May 6, 2008 4:19 pm

Da-Met wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

actually it isn't different on the importance meter. No matter how stupid a scenario it was, it was still just 3 points in the 3rd quarter... that's the equivalent of one or two bad foul calls.

Its important only in the sense that the NBA is going to have to tweak the wording of the rules, but as far as the ACTUAL GAME goes its no more important than a bad foul call of which there were many.

This rational is so dumb I can't even figure out how to respond. Only a Piston fan.
Dtown84
Sixth Man
And1: 218

Post#1104 » by Dtown84 » Tue May 6, 2008 4:24 pm

I don't think anyone's arguing that it effected the game. Several (not all) Magic fans are making the argument it out and out cost them the game. While Pistons fans are arguing the Magic could have won despite the call, but their poor play cost them.
triplet1984
General Manager

Post#1105 » by triplet1984 » Tue May 6, 2008 4:26 pm

I'm saying 3 points at the end of the 3rd quarter doesn't effect the game any more than 4 free throws in the 2nd quarter or the 3rd quarter. It effects the game, sure, but no more than a team getting 2 or 4 undeserved free throws in the 3rd quarter... because 3 points is still just 3 points. there are 2 constants in this world... numbers are the numbers, and NBA refs just suck in general.
triplet1984
General Manager

Post#1106 » by triplet1984 » Tue May 6, 2008 4:29 pm

getting back to the rest of the series

teams too reliant on the 3 point line - will lose in the playoffs. Its fools gold, because good 3 point shooting is actually a low percentage. Someone shooting 40 percent from 3 point land is considered good! That means you're missing 60 percent of all those shots - spread those out to a 7 game series and the only way you can win shooting 3s is lucky timing, you basically have to pray that the "40% peak" happens at opportune times.

Game 2 was a perfect example actually. they got super hot in the 3rd quarter... 7/7... wouldnt it be great if they kept shooting that hot in the next quarter? But in the 4th quarter.... 1 for 9 from 3 point land. ONE FOR NINE. They fell victim to the percentages, everything evened out... but that's all a matter of timing, and it's very very unlikely a team would shot that hot from the 3 point line in BOTH the 3rd and 4th quarter. Why? 40/60 percentages. Orlando will imo only have one more game of hot 3 point shooting.

It's the "only jump shooters can't win in the playoffs" principle except multiplied because the percentages are even lower for 3 point shooting.

Unless Orlando can find a way to shut down Billups and/or braek Dwight free for a few MONSTER games, they can't win in the playoffs chucking 3s.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#1107 » by Cammo101 » Tue May 6, 2008 4:36 pm

Dtown84 wrote:I don't think anyone's arguing that it effected the game. Several (not all) Magic fans are making the argument it out and out cost them the game. While Pistons fans are arguing the Magic could have won despite the call, but their poor play cost them.

Clearly the Magic could have won the game regardless. But, if you look at the situation with 12 seconds left, you have to conclude that that call, in retrospect cost the Magic the game.
Dtown84
Sixth Man
And1: 218

Post#1108 » by Dtown84 » Tue May 6, 2008 4:37 pm

Really aside from the 3rd quarter yesterday, which was just insane, Detroit's done a pretty damn good job challenging the three.

For game three, Rip needs to get his act together, and the frontcourt has to make the effort to stay out of foul trouble.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#1109 » by Cammo101 » Tue May 6, 2008 4:38 pm

That live by the 3 die by the 3 saying never took into account that that team could also pound it in the post with the best big in the league. Clearly Orlando is not your typical 3 point reliant team, because we can win other ways.
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 4,014

Post#1110 » by Last Guardian » Tue May 6, 2008 4:39 pm

You do realize that Detroit does nothing but shoot jumpers. Sure if may not be from 3 point range but it is still a jumpshot. Even Rasheeds post ups end up in a fade away jumper.

I'd be interested to know who has more points in the paint between Detroit and Orlando. Something tells me its Orlando.
triplet1984
General Manager

Post#1111 » by triplet1984 » Tue May 6, 2008 4:40 pm

Cammo101 wrote:That live by the 3 die by the 3 saying never took into account that that team could also pound it in the post with the best big in the league. Clearly Orlando is not your typical 3 point reliant team, because we can win other ways.

fair point but they haven't been effective at doing the other things in this series - because Dwight has been limited. He's going to have to play MUCH better to neutralize the 3 point percentages. He's boarding but he needs to score more than 17 points a game to overcome the ice cold streaks that you get a majority of the time with 3 point shoot.
triplet1984
General Manager

Post#1112 » by triplet1984 » Tue May 6, 2008 4:44 pm

Solid Snake wrote:You do realize that Detroit does nothing but shoot jumpers. Sure if may not be from 3 point range but it is still a jumpshot. Even Rasheeds post ups end up in a fade away jumper.

I'd be interested to know who has more points in the paint between Detroit and Orlando. Something tells me its Orlando.

In this series, Detroit has been scoring inside and getting into the lane much more than they usually do - its a fair concern as imo that's one of the reasons the pistons keep losing in the ECF, but they are a lot better at it this series than usual, because they are pulling Dwight away from the basket on D, guards are getting inside (and yes getting foul calls), and guys like maxiell are scoring too. Even still, being 3 point reliant in the playoffs is even worse than being jump shooting reliant.
Drwho17
Sixth Man
And1: 335

Post#1113 » by Drwho17 » Tue May 6, 2008 5:01 pm

legacyinthemakin89c wrote:Lol yes the Pistons get all the calls because obviously there is a league wide conspiracy that wants them to win. The league wants to see a repeat worst rated finals ever again with Detroit, instead of having a money maker in Howard make it. Yeah some calls were crap for you guys, but there were some horrible ones for us too. And if your complaining about the 3 pointer, we won by more then three, so it doesn't matter in the end. And don't bring up momentum, good teams take back the momentum regardless of the situation.

Please investigate this "worst rated NBA finals quote", it's totally untrue. The NBA finals for years weren't even shown live, and you don't get much viewership on the 11:30 PM tape delay. In recent years even, 2007 was much lower then 2005, 2003 was much lower, 2005 was the highest Spurs involved series.
Bay_Areas_Finest
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#1114 » by Bay_Areas_Finest » Tue May 6, 2008 5:05 pm

Orlando does rely a lot on the 3 ball, probably more than they should, but its not like it is all we can do. I wish our guys would penetrate a lot more thant hey normally do, because, we'd be much more effective.

Detroit hasn't been extremely impressive this series. They've been solid, but its been more so Orlando just playing really bad.
PistonFan4Life
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#1115 » by PistonFan4Life » Tue May 6, 2008 6:33 pm

Bay_Areas_Finest wrote:Orlando does rely a lot on the 3 ball, probably more than they should, but its not like it is all we can do. I wish our guys would penetrate a lot more thant hey normally do, because, we'd be much more effective.

Detroit hasn't been extremely impressive this series. They've been solid, but its been more so Orlando just playing really bad.

How many times do we hear this? No teams seem to play good anymore its just because the other team plays bad. I have news for you all though, Detroits defense is still pretty dang good which is why Orlando has struggled to get going in this series. The Pistons interior defense is much stronger than the Raptors defense was in the first round and is going to cause Orlando troubles forcing them to rely on the outside shots. Yesterday the 3rd quarter was really the only thing that kept the game close because the Magic couldn't have missed an outside shot if they tried. Give the Pistons a little bit of credit for being able to make plays on both sides of the ball to take a 2-0 lead in the series.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,958

Post#1116 » by zeebneeb » Tue May 6, 2008 7:10 pm

Bay_Areas_Finest wrote:Orlando does rely a lot on the 3 ball, probably more than they should, but its not like it is all we can do. I wish our guys would penetrate a lot more thant hey normally do, because, we'd be much more effective.

Normaly I would just poke fun at you(It is kinda easy) but this is just getting assinine.

First of all, your players cant penetrate becuase they are slow as hell(Lewis/Turkypooh) have no handles(Evans) or are a doorstop with legs(Nelson). That leaves Howard, who isnt exactly part of the globetrotters ball handling act.

Second, those said players would not only have to get by thier man(Rasheed, Prince, Hamilton, Billups) they would have to get into the lane without getting thier shot blocked by Max, Dice, Rasheed, Prince, Ratliff.(The Pistons were the 3rd best shotblocking team in the league, and held teams to the lowest PPG total. A lethal combo)

You make it sound as if the Lagic are capable of something very few teams are;

Beat the Detroit Pistons in a 7game series.

Orlando isnt going to play any better in any of the remaining games then they did last night. They hit 7 straight three-pointers in row last night! They only led by a single point after the flurry was done!

I just am sick and tired of hearing this "Detroit didnt impress, the other teams sucked!"

It's been 7 damn years people. The Pistons are a great team, and will be for almost A DAMN DECADE when its all said and done with this group of players.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#1117 » by Cammo101 » Tue May 6, 2008 7:24 pm

Detroit is playing well defensively and getting to the free throw line. That is what they do. If you expect them to look flashy and light up the court you are gonna be waiting a long time. That is not their style. Orlando has not played well in this series, but Detroit gets a lot of that credit.

It is just a shame the series isn't 1-1 going back to Orlando like it should be, because now regardless of what happens going forward this series has a large asterisk next to it thanks to the NBA and their horrible referees.
leevii
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#1118 » by leevii » Tue May 6, 2008 7:25 pm

Why do Magic fans feel the need to whine like none other for a bad call in the 3rd? Are we simply ignoring the fact that the Magic looked like a bunch of retards in the clutch? No one wants to hear you whine, go join the Suns fans in the "We Was Screwed, whaaaaa" convention.
AnSweR07 wrote:I'll go Roy, slightly ahead of Wade.
magicfan4life05
RealGM
And1: 198

Post#1119 » by magicfan4life05 » Tue May 6, 2008 7:30 pm

magicfan4life05 wrote:good game pistons, the better team won tonight
Dwight Howard on his FT struggles:

"I just think everybody needs to stop talking about it," Howard said. "There's more to life than free throws."
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#1120 » by Cammo101 » Tue May 6, 2008 7:34 pm

leevii wrote:Why do Magic fans feel the need to whine like none other for a bad call in the 3rd? Are we simply ignoring the fact that the Magic looked like a bunch of retards in the clutch? No one wants to hear you whine, go join the Suns fans in the "We Was Screwed, whaaaaa" convention.

Spoken like the guy who's team gets more calls than any in the league. Tell Chauncey the game is over and he can stop flopping around now.

Return to The General Board