2nd Round: Detroit vs. Orlando - Series DET leads (1-0)

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Who wins this 2nd round series?

Detroit in 4
9%
Detroit in 5
19%
Detroit in 6
27%
Detroit in 7
7%
Orlando in 4
3%
Orlando in 5
1%
Orlando in 6
24%
Orlando in 7
11%

Total votes: 127

bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,102

Post#81 » by bstein14 » Thu May 1, 2008 8:56 am

Cammo101 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

How else can you explain Detroit's choke job last year to the Cavs. A Cavs team with no playoff experience who the Pistons handled in the regular season. The Pistons vaunted playoff experience was the real difference in that series. Imagine how great the Cavs will be now that they added Ben Wallace's amazing playoff experience. The Cavs will never lose.

Who needs talent when you have...PLAYOFF EXPERIENCE?

Which is just another way of saying we are gonna win because we are old. How did Dallas and all their playoff experience do against the upstart Hornets?

The Cavs lost to Detroit in a CLOSE SERIES in 06 before beating them in 07.

Detroit didn't mop the floor and sweep the Cavs like they did the Magic last season.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,438

Post#82 » by UCFJayBird » Thu May 1, 2008 1:02 pm

and what don't you understand about the difference between this team and last year's team? You swept a LOSING TEAM (40-42), an 8th seed, with so many players that had never even sniffed the playoffs.

This year the Magic have a better coach, Dwight's improved and is dominating in the playoffs (23/18 with 4 bpg), we've added Rashard Lewis, a borderline all-star, and Hedo Turkoglu is a borderline all-star and the Most Improved Player. Our 3-point shooting has gone from one of the worst to the best in the league.

Meanwhile the Pistons did nothing but get older (at this point more experience means nothing for them, they're not learning anything new). They've still got that "we deserve the championship" smugness around them and it's going to bite them in the ass, again. If not by the Magic, then by the Celtics. Ever since they won the championship they've felt they deserved it and have tried to waltz their way to the finals. It's not going to work.

They're not as hungry and determined as they were in the past. They want it, but where's the energy? Where's the fire? Watching this Philly series they're not getting any loose balls at all. All the energy plays are coming from Philly (or at least the majority of them).

By the way your sig is just plain dumb. The Magic are a bad 52 win team because they overpaid someone? How does their salary effect their talent and wins? And wtf does Grant Hill have to do with anything?
MagicFan149
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#83 » by MagicFan149 » Thu May 1, 2008 1:12 pm

UCFJayBird wrote:and what don't you understand about the difference between this team and last year's team? You swept a LOSING TEAM (40-42), an 8th seed, with so many players that had never even sniffed the playoffs.

This year the Magic have a better coach, Dwight's improved and is dominating in the playoffs (23/18 with 4 bpg), we've added Rashard Lewis, a borderline all-star, and Hedo Turkoglu is a borderline all-star and the Most Improved Player. Our 3-point shooting has gone from one of the worst to the best in the league.

Meanwhile the Pistons did nothing but get older (at this point more experience means nothing for them, they're not learning anything new). They've still got that "we deserve the championship" smugness around them and it's going to bite them in the ass, again. If not by the Magic, then by the Celtics. Ever since they won the championship they've felt they deserved it and have tried to waltz their way to the finals. It's not going to work.

They're not as hungry and determined as they were in the past. They want it, but where's the energy? Where's the fire? Watching this Philly series they're not getting any loose balls at all. All the energy plays are coming from Philly (or at least the majority of them).

By the way your sig is just plain dumb. The Magic are a bad 52 win team because they overpaid someone? How does their salary effect their talent and wins? And wtf does Grant Hill have to do with anything?

^this right here has no business on real gm... it has way to much logic in this post.... i just dont understand how you can not realize that this team is a polar oposite from the magic team of last year... last year the pistons sagged into dwight because we could not spread the floor at all ... yeah well lets see how that works this year with 4 3pt. shooters around him.... even if the pistons take care of the sixers in six that still means that the magic will have about a week of rest , meanwhile an aging pistons will have just come off of a 1st round battle.... that does not bode well for the pistons...

i dont know if the magic can beat the pistons but it is asinine to think that the magic are any different from last year....
Summertime and the livin's easy....
tranjSAIC
Banned User
And1: 527

Post#84 » by tranjSAIC » Thu May 1, 2008 1:19 pm

bstein14 wrote:Orlando isn't any better than Philly.

I guess thats why they beat us more times then we beat them, ohhh wait nevermind we killed them all year. Even when they were on that roll at the end of the year we went IN PHILLY and killed them. I honestly respect the Pistons and they do have a right to talk smack to us considering the history but I think you guys should be worried.
Greer
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#85 » by Greer » Thu May 1, 2008 1:43 pm

Detroit is just a team full of old men and their two best players are rejects from other teams (billups and Rasheed). Orlando with the sweep.
Super_Mario_3
Senior
And1: 9

Post#86 » by Super_Mario_3 » Thu May 1, 2008 2:19 pm

UCFJayBird wrote:and what don't you understand about the difference between this team and last year's team? You swept a LOSING TEAM (40-42), an 8th seed, with so many players that had never even sniffed the playoffs.

im still waiting for bstein14's reply. :banghead:
MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,332

Post#87 » by MagicMadness » Thu May 1, 2008 2:57 pm

Oh lord, Magic fans already trashtalking, and we don't even know who our opponent is.

lol. Kind of.
princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Post#88 » by princeofpalace » Thu May 1, 2008 2:59 pm

I dont know, I think the Pistons win in 6.

Lots of people are saying that the Pistons are 'old' and on the decline and to me that is just about one of the worst arguments to make about a team. Detroit has 4 (Billups, Rip, Sheed, Dice) players in their active rotation over 30, yeah they are ancient.

Unlike last year where Detroit took off early inte playoffs by winning 6 straight before starting to struggle, Detroit struggled early but is now rounding into playoff shape. I prefer the later to the former scenario. Detroit in Games 2, 4, and 5 has looked like a dominant team capable of winning the champsionship.

Might be wishful thinking on my part but I think Detroit will continue to get better as the post season progresses. Chauncey Billups finally is finally turning it on, Rasheed has been amazing, Tayhsaun has become that aggressive leader on the court that the Pistons need him to be and Hamilton has been money as usual. In addition to all those things Flip Saunders is actually improving his bench rotation and utilizing that depth, and I truly believe that will be the key this series.

Detroit is going to throw a plethora of bigs to bother Dwight just as they did last year. Hes gonna see Sheed, Dice, Maxiel, and Ratliff granted Detroits bigs are a lot smaller this year than they were last year and Dwight has gotten better but I just dont see Howard putting up 23 and 15 on Detroits frontline, Pistons arent Toronto they can play some D and consequently I think they will be able to contain (not stop) Dwight.

Im sure Orlando is tired of losing to the Pistons, thus I expect the Magic to come out the gate extremely hungry but I also think/hope that the Pistons will match that intensity because I think the ongoing Phili series is serving as a wakeup call. If both teams come out with the matched energy, then I think this series belongs to Detroit.
MagicFan149
Pro Prospect

Post#89 » by MagicFan149 » Thu May 1, 2008 3:30 pm

^^ good post ... like you said you guys do have a lot of bodies to throw at dwight... but then you have to decide to dbl or not to dbl.... last series our 3pt shooting was off.... i cant see it being quite as this series... if you guys sag off of our perimiter players it could be and interesting series...
Bay_Areas_Finest
Lead Assistant

Post#90 » by Bay_Areas_Finest » Thu May 1, 2008 3:36 pm

bstein14 wrote:But what is so different that makes you think you're better than Detroit?

We're Magic fans, what do you expect us to say? Ofcourse we're confident that we can beat anyone, especially with how much we have improved this offseason. We added a 18-20 ppg scorer, Hedo has become a star, and we have one of the better coaches in basketball, along with Dwights improved play.

Plus, we took 2 of 3 from you guys during the regular season. There's plenty of reason to be optimistic.
Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Post#91 » by Liqourish » Thu May 1, 2008 3:38 pm

Pistons have done NOTHING since last year. Just inserted Dice into the starting lineup, expanded Jason Maxiells role and traded in Carlos Delfino in the backcourt for Rodney Stuckey and Arron Afflalo. Oh, And they added a damn good big bodied shotblocker in Theo Ratliff. But hey... the Magic are shooting better from 3... they'll sweep!! :D
STChaser
Starter

Post#92 » by STChaser » Thu May 1, 2008 3:54 pm

Unlike last year where Detroit took off early inte playoffs by winning 6 straight before starting to struggle, Detroit struggled early but is now rounding into playoff shape

Rounding into shape against a young Philly team with no PF? That's hardly what I would call an accomplishment. Besides, Orlando is the polar opposite of Philly. They have size in Rashard and Hedu, and a dominant big in Howard - who by the way, will still get his points and rebounds because he's going to get the calls inside that Sam doesn't get. And as mentioned before, they have 3 point shooters so you won't be able to play zone D and shut them down like you're doing against Philly.

Unless you bring the same officiating squads who've refed the last two games of this series, you guys are going to be outclassed by a bigger, stronger, better shooting team than Philly. Prince is not going to have the size matchup he has now against Iguodala. Sheed is not going to push Howard around in the paint the way he has done to slim Sammy. In fact, Sheed will be lucky if he doesn't foul out by halftime trying to guard Howard. I just don't see Detroit pulling this one off. Not by a long shot.

STChaser
MagiChamps
Junior

Post#93 » by MagiChamps » Thu May 1, 2008 3:59 pm

Liqourish wrote:Pistons have done NOTHING since last year. Just inserted Dice into the starting lineup, expanded Jason Maxiells role and traded in Carlos Delfino in the backcourt for Rodney Stuckey and Arron Afflalo. Oh, And they added a damn good big bodied shotblocker in Theo Ratliff. But hey... the Magic are shooting better from 3... they'll sweep!! :D

lol how old is Theo Ratliff now?
MagicFan149
Pro Prospect

Post#94 » by MagicFan149 » Thu May 1, 2008 4:06 pm

^ he said nothing about age ... just stating one time in his career he was a good shot blocker... haha
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 4,014

Post#95 » by Last Guardian » Thu May 1, 2008 4:07 pm

^^ Thanks for the vote of confidence in the Magic, but I don't see them pulling it off.

Jameer can't guard Billups. Our best bet is for Jameer to do as much damage to him offensively. Mo Evans will have his hands full with Hamilton. Prince never misses against the Magic. Same goes for McDyess. Rasheed is about as good a Howard defender as there is in the league. And their bench totally outclasses ours.

I hope Stan goes big a lot. Because playing Rip and Billups with smaller guys is exactly what Detroit wants. Turk should switch to SG regularly and 6'3 Dooling should see a lot of time.
arrogancy
Sophomore

Post#96 » by arrogancy » Thu May 1, 2008 4:39 pm

STChaser wrote:
Unlike last year where Detroit took off early inte playoffs by winning 6 straight before starting to struggle, Detroit struggled early but is now rounding into playoff shape

Rounding into shape against a young Philly team with no PF? That's hardly what I would call an accomplishment. Besides, Orlando is the polar opposite of Philly. They have size in Rashard and Hedu, and a dominant big in Howard - who by the way, will still get his points and rebounds because he's going to get the calls inside that Sam doesn't get. And as mentioned before, they have 3 point shooters so you won't be able to play zone D and shut them down like you're doing against Philly.

Unless you bring the same officiating squads who've refed the last two games of this series, you guys are going to be outclassed by a bigger, stronger, better shooting team than Philly. Prince is not going to have the size matchup he has now against Iguodala. Sheed is not going to push Howard around in the paint the way he has done to slim Sammy. In fact, Sheed will be lucky if he doesn't foul out by halftime trying to guard Howard. I just don't see Detroit pulling this one off. Not by a long shot.

STChaser

The Pistons are weak against running teams and teams with a driving superstar that gets auto-whistles when they go to the hole (Wade, Lebron). Philly is young/hustle/athletic and runs, which is why they are able to take advantage of Detroit when they don't bring their "A" game. They match up better with Orlando for that reason. Philly would probably be their worst MATCHUP in the entire playoffs, even if they aren't the most skilled team they will play.

Wait, let me change that, they could always play Utah in the Finals which is an autoloss.

Orlando's hope is that Detroit's horrible coach does some more of his horrible coaching like in Game 3 of the Philly series or the entire Cavs series last year. Otherwise, Detroit wins in 6.
cwas2882
General Manager
And1: 5,802

Post#97 » by cwas2882 » Thu May 1, 2008 4:40 pm

Sheed = Dwight
Dyess = Shard
Prince > Hedo
Rip >> Evans
Billups >>>>>>> Meer

Pistons in 5
MagicFan149
Pro Prospect

Post#98 » by MagicFan149 » Thu May 1, 2008 4:56 pm

cwas2882 wrote:Sheed = Dwight
Dyess = Shard
Prince > Hedo
Rip >> Evans
Billups >>>>>>> Meer

Pistons in 5

:noway: dyess=shard??? really if you believe that i dont know what to tell you

prince > hedo??? wow ... prince plays hedo ok... but come on
MagicNolesFSU
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#99 » by MagicNolesFSU » Thu May 1, 2008 5:09 pm

cwas2882 wrote:Sheed = Dwight
Dyess = Shard
Prince > Hedo
Rip >> Evans
Billups >>>>>>> Meer

Pistons in 5

rofl I tried to stay out of this thread but this is the dumbest post ever.
Illuminati wrote:MagicNoles is a g. Don't bring beef and there ain't no beef.
cwas2882
General Manager
And1: 5,802

Post#100 » by cwas2882 » Thu May 1, 2008 5:22 pm

MagicFan149 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

:noway: dyess=shard??? really if you believe that i dont know what to tell you

prince > hedo??? wow ... prince plays hedo ok... but come on

Dyess because of his defense alone is greater than Shard. MickeyD is going to shut him down. I kinda feel bad for Orlando. They're riding high now, but in a week and a half, they're going to be left scratching their heads and applying Neosporin to their anuses. It's going to be a rape

Return to The General Board