2nd Round: Detroit vs. Orlando - Series DET leads (1-0)

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

Who wins this 2nd round series?

Detroit in 4
9%
Detroit in 5
19%
Detroit in 6
27%
Detroit in 7
7%
Orlando in 4
3%
Orlando in 5
1%
Orlando in 6
24%
Orlando in 7
11%

Total votes: 127

Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,767

Post#941 » by Cammo101 » Tue May 6, 2008 2:07 am

UCFJayBird wrote:I'll be the first Magic fan to say Hedo was NOT fouled. He was dumb, and tried to get a whistle when he should've gone up strong with it and tried a put back. He might've tripped, but either way he flung his arms in the air trying to get a call (which by the way, as a Magic fan i'm getting very annoyed by, i understand trying to get the call but he's doing it way too much).

But i'll also say that it looked to ME, like Rip tripped over his own feet, and fell down. But the ref didn't notice it until he saw Rip fall down in front of him and Keyon right behind him and assumed it was a foul (probably should've been a no-call since he didn't see it though).

It was a toss up call, as were all the calls that walked Billups and Hamilton to the line all freaking night. If you are gonna be bad, just be consistantly bad and call all the ticky tack fouls both ways.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#942 » by miller31time » Tue May 6, 2008 2:07 am

The Pistons/Spurs series yielded one of the lowest NBA Finals Television ratings in NBA history, if my memory serves me right. Combine that with the fact that officials aren't the biggest fans of Rasheed Wallace and I don't see any reason for a conspiracy theory.
Dtown84
Sixth Man
And1: 218

Post#943 » by Dtown84 » Tue May 6, 2008 2:08 am

I can't buy the momentum argument, the Magic had the lead in the 4th quarter. Poor shot selection, and turnovers cost them that. Not the terrible call in the 3rd.
Rick Rolled
General Manager
And1: 3,705

Post#944 » by Rick Rolled » Tue May 6, 2008 2:10 am

Dtown84 wrote:I can't buy the momentum argument, the Magic had the lead in the 4th quarter. Poor shot selection, and turnovers cost them that. Not the terrible call in the 3rd.

We did have some crippling turnovers.....

It was just a tough game to swallow overall.....

But congrats to you guys....looking forward to game 3.
legacyinthemakin89c
Veteran
And1: 1

Post#945 » by legacyinthemakin89c » Tue May 6, 2008 2:11 am

Do you know how much the league would love Lebron or Howard in the finals against Kobe? Thats all they care about.

You all can blame the refs, but in the end, Hedo taking one of the worst 3 point attempts I've seen and some of the other plays Orlando tried to run just didn't work lost this game for them. You were down by 2 with like 4o seconds left, and Hedo jacks up a 3 in like 5 seconds, a very well contested three? It's plays like that which lose games. Blame the refs all you want, but if you guys threw the ball down to Howard and had him create for himself, he goes to the line, makes at least 1 or 2, you guys have a very close game on your hands. Blame the refs all you want, but despite them, you still had a chance to win the game and blew it.

I still expect this series to g at least 6 games. You guys got incredibly hot from 3 point like I said you would, and we got lucky. But once you guys go home, the rim looks a lot bigger for those threes and I expect Orlando to shoot like that for the whole game, not just one quarter.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,950

Post#946 » by Uncle Mxy » Tue May 6, 2008 2:11 am

miller31time wrote:The Pistons/Spurs series yielded one of the lowest NBA Finals Television ratings in NBA history, if my memory serves me right. Combine that with the fact that officials aren't the biggest fans of Rasheed Wallace and I don't see any reason for a conspiracy theory.

It worked out better than Heat-Mavs or Spurs-Cavs because it went to 7 games. More games = more ad minutes = mo'money.
magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Post#947 » by magicman123 » Tue May 6, 2008 2:12 am

lets just hope the cavs take care of business in the east, dont want to see boston or detroit make the finals...
Happyfoosball
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#948 » by Happyfoosball » Tue May 6, 2008 2:12 am

This was one of the most poorly called games i've ever seen and it was in Detriots favor. They called it ticky tack against Orlando at the end, and if Detriot did something questionable during the last two minutes it went uncalled. Was the Hedo foul a foul? Probably not but many of the calls that went against Orlando were questionable. Fact is Detriot got 3 free points at the end of the third, and scored all their final points off free throws on some VERY questionable calls.
"I like our team" - Otis Smith
Happyfoosball
Assistant Coach

Post#949 » by Happyfoosball » Tue May 6, 2008 2:13 am

legacyinthemakin89c wrote:Do you know how much the league would love Lebron or Howard in the finals against Kobe? Thats all they care about.

You all can blame the refs, but in the end, Hedo taking one of the worst 3 point attempts I've seen and some of the other plays Orlando tried to run just didn't work lost this game for them. You were down by 2 with like 4o seconds left, and Hedo jacks up a 3 in like 5 seconds, a very well contested three? It's plays like that which lose games. Blame the refs all you want, but if you guys threw the ball down to Howard and had him create for himself, he goes to the line, makes at least 1 or 2, you guys have a very close game on your hands. Blame the refs all you want, but despite them, you still had a chance to win the game and blew it.

I still expect this series to g at least 6 games. You guys got incredibly hot from 3 point like I said you would, and we got lucky. But once you guys go home, the rim looks a lot bigger for those threes and I expect Orlando to shoot like that for the whole game, not just one quarter.

The game had a 5 point spread. If you taped it watch the last few minutes again. There was something fishy going on whether you'd like to admit it or not.
"I like our team" - Otis Smith
Hunter
Sixth Man

Post#950 » by Hunter » Tue May 6, 2008 2:13 am

miller31time wrote:The Pistons/Spurs series yielded one of the lowest NBA Finals Television ratings in NBA history, if my memory serves me right. Combine that with the fact that officials aren't the biggest fans of Rasheed Wallace and I don't see any reason for a conspiracy theory.
+1

There may certainly have been some bad calls (and NOBODY is disputing the Chauncey 3 being one of them), but the notion the league is out to assist the Pistons is pretty ridiculous. We are not a marketable team, get horrible ratings and are among the most frequently whistled teams in the league with regards to technical fouls. Nobody is intentionally doing us any favors.

What has Piston fans irked is that all anybody wants to talk about are the bad calls that went in Detroits favor, while ignoring ones which went the other way. The fact is it was a poorly officiated game all around. And maybe the Pistons did benefit from that. But what the hell are we supposed to do about it? It's a no-win situation for us. We just have to sit here and listen to people cry about it for a week. You think any of us want that? We're all praying for a quick 4 or 5 game series so there can be no question that Detroit was indeed the better team.
JES12 wrote:Bass just barley turned 23 and is a starting PF on any team without a 8 time all-NBA PF in front of him!
jelake
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#951 » by jelake » Tue May 6, 2008 2:14 am

In a game against Philly last round, the shot clock was started 2-3 seconds before Prince inbounded the ball with only 5 seconds left on the shot clock.. Did they reset the clock? Nope. It happens.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,439

Post#952 » by UCFJayBird » Tue May 6, 2008 2:14 am

Solid Snake wrote:Oh well. Down 2-0. No chance of winning the series. I'd actually root for Detroit over Boston.

c'mon Solid, Magic win 2 in Orlando and this series is just getting started. If the Magic win 2 in Orlando I'd say Detroit wins Game 5 just because I can't see Orlando winning 3 in a row, but it is possible (but then I can't even fathom the Magic winning 4 in a row).

So I'd say if the Magic win 2 games, it goes to 7 games. If the Magic only take 1 game at home the series is effectively over. But first the Magic need to win Game 3 on Wednesday, and Game 4 on Saturday after that. Both are must wins for the Magic.
Hunter
Sixth Man

Post#953 » by Hunter » Tue May 6, 2008 2:14 am

Rick Rolled wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Yeah, they obviously want Boston/Lakers....

Nah, there's no conspiracy here.....just a poorly officiated game.... it happens.....we just have to accept it and move forward.
Exactly! Thank you!
JES12 wrote:Bass just barley turned 23 and is a starting PF on any team without a 8 time all-NBA PF in front of him!
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 4,015

Post#954 » by Last Guardian » Tue May 6, 2008 2:15 am

UCFJayBird wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

c'mon Solid, Magic win 2 in Orlando and this series is just getting started. If the Magic win 2 in Orlando I'd say Detroit wins Game 5 just because I can't see Orlando winning 3 in a row, but it is possible (but then I can't even fathom the Magic winning 4 in a row).

So I'd say if the Magic win 2 games, it goes to 7 games. If the Magic only take 1 game at home the series is effectively over. But first the Magic need to win Game 3 on Wednesday, and Game 4 on Saturday after that. Both are must wins for the Magic.

We aren't winning both games at home.
unowen85
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,885

Post#955 » by unowen85 » Tue May 6, 2008 2:17 am

Unbiased Heat fan here, started watching the game when they were reviewing the end of the third quarter shot and saw the fourth quarter. The Magic had a few calls go against them that looked shady, and the Pistons should have been called for a few technicals for complaining excessively to the refs, but the Magic still had a really good opportunity to steal this game given all that. And they blew it. Lewis and Hedo choked.
For a long time it gave me nightmares,witnessing an injustice like that.It’s a constant reminder of just how unfair this world can be.I can still hear them taunting him, Silly Rabbit tricks are for kids.I mean why couldn’t they just give him some cereal?
longfellow44
Lead Assistant
And1: 113

Post#956 » by longfellow44 » Tue May 6, 2008 2:17 am

wow did the refs hand that game to the pistons or what?

There were some horrible foul calls in the 4th that were just stupid. I can't believe they called that foul against Nelson to take him out of the game and then the one on dooling when they got their feet tripped up.

I already read that everyone agrees that it was a bad call on the billups 3. I don't blame the refs too much on that because their hands were tied by the replay rule. However that really needs to be adressed during the Next collective barganing agreement.
slaman
Junior
And1: 0

Post#957 » by slaman » Tue May 6, 2008 2:18 am

Orlando's season wouldn't be over now if...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMEvoT6zk6s
Chauncey Billups finishes off the Magic at the free throw line...But you can't help but revisit the call that could have changed everything.
Bucs80
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#958 » by Bucs80 » Tue May 6, 2008 2:19 am

Solid Snake wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

We aren't winning both games at home.

Game 3 might be our best chance

But the way the Pistons are playing right now.

They are probably are trying to kill our hopes in that last game
Dtown84
Sixth Man
And1: 218

Post#959 » by Dtown84 » Tue May 6, 2008 2:20 am

Not to give the Magic fans hope or anything, but well Cavs series last year. Bleh...

That said here's hoping we steal one in Orlando! :D
CourtsideTV
RealGM
And1: 349

Post#960 » by CourtsideTV » Tue May 6, 2008 2:21 am

magic suck
Work Hard

Return to The General Board