NBA Finals: Boston vs. LA Lakers - Series BOS leads (2-1)

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Who wins Game 4?

Boston
54%
LA Lakers
46%

Total votes: 54

JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

NBA Finals: Boston vs. LA Lakers - Series BOS leads (2-1) 

Post#1 » by JordansBulls » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:17 am

( 1 ) Boston Celtics (66-16) vs. ( 1 ) LA Lakers (57-25)

Boston Celtics will have the Homecourt Advantage

Boston Leads Series 2-1 Series Breakdown

Game 1 Results Thu June 5 - Boston 98 LA Lakers 88
Game 2 Results Sun June 8 - Boston 108 LA Lakers 102
Game 3 Results Tue June 10 - LA Lakers 87 Boston 81

Game 4 - Thu Jun 12 - Boston @ LA Lakers 9:00 PM ET, ABC

Game 5 - Sun Jun 15 - Boston @ LA Lakers 9:00 PM ET, ABC
Game 6* - Tue Jun 17 - LA Lakers @ Boston 9:00 PM ET, ABC
Game 7* - Thu Jun 19 - LA Lakers @ Boston 9:00 PM ET, ABC

REGULAR SEASON SERIES
Celtics won season series 2-0
Nov. 23: LA Lakers 94 at Celtics 107
Dec. 30: Celtics 110 at LA Lakers 91

Image Projected Starting Lineup

ImageImageImageImageImage

PG - Rajon Rondo
SG - Ray Allen
SF - Paul Pierce
PF - Kevin Garnett
C - Kendrick Perkins

Image Projected Starting Lineup

ImageImageImageImageImage

PG - Derek Fisher
SG - Kobe Bryant
SF - Vladimir Radmanovic
PF - Lamar Odom
C - Pau Gasol
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
A.J.
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#2 » by A.J. » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:22 am

Wow that was fast. lol
tracey_nice
Analyst
And1: 274

Post#3 » by tracey_nice » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:38 am

Has Texas Longhorns taken over JordansBulls account, someone quickly make a thread comparing someone to Jordan; that surely will tell us if Texas Longhorns has.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,343

Post#4 » by Dr Aki » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:41 am

lakers finally take a game off boston, but as it came down to lakers kobe + non-existent gasol and LO > ray allen + non-existent KG and pp

expect better from both teams in game 4!
a-rod
Assistant Coach
And1: 21

Post#5 » by a-rod » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:43 am

tracey_nice wrote:Has Texas Longhorns taken over JordansBulls account, someone quickly make a thread comparing someone to Jordan; that surely will tell us if Texas Longhorns has.
:rofl:
pillwenney wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:No thanks to Deng. I read a rumor surfing hoopshype awhile back saying Gay for Reke is a possibility.

Must be true, if it's a rumor you read on Hoopshype.
:rofl:
Kobay
General Manager
And1: 5

Post#6 » by Kobay » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:36 am

mandingo
Showtime:Part2
General Manager
And1: 490

Post#7 » by Showtime:Part2 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:58 am

i can't tell if radman or odom is playing better, which is not a good sign.
Warspite:

Prince + filler for Kobe Bryant
To be honest the way Prince has played and with Kobes injury/age/mileage Im not sure I would do that deal either. Still Prince is more important and he wins the head to head battles with Kobe.
Kobay
General Manager
And1: 5

Post#8 » by Kobay » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:04 pm

Should personal foul on PJ brown for having hard nipples.
mr_sunshine
Assistant Coach
And1: 482

Post#9 » by mr_sunshine » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:12 pm

I've got the Cs in Game 4. Neither team played well tonight but the Lakers got a few more calls, lucky bounces, and made a lot more shots. I don't see Pierce and Garnett playing that poorly again, and hopefully Rondo is back. Boston has done a good job containing LO and Pau, so I expect them to continue to do so and win a close one in Game 4.
Wile E. Coyote
Lead Assistant
And1: 876

Post#10 » by Wile E. Coyote » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:15 pm

Who did you pick to win game 3?
Showtime:Part2
General Manager
And1: 490

Post#11 » by Showtime:Part2 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:17 pm

mr_sunshine wrote:I've got the Cs in Game 4. Neither team played well tonight but the Lakers got a few more calls,

not quite genius. what about that kobe foul on pierce in the 4th. in the 4th they were just letting the guys play. before that kg was too busy throwing up contested turnaround jumpers. no disparity here, just kg being kg. i missed the first 9 minutes of the first quarter, so unless that was truly horrendous, it seemed like a pretty fair game.
Warspite:

Prince + filler for Kobe Bryant

To be honest the way Prince has played and with Kobes injury/age/mileage Im not sure I would do that deal either. Still Prince is more important and he wins the head to head battles with Kobe.
humblebum
Banned User
And1: 1,755

Post#12 » by humblebum » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:22 pm

The difference between Celtics players and Lakers players: the Lakers let the refs take them completely out of the game and they got way down on the scoreboard. The C's, despite the disparity of calls against them, continued to battle even through poor performances from Pierce and KG. The Celtics are in a good position to steal game four... as long as the offense wakes up.
Wade2k6
RealGM
And1: 77

Post#13 » by Wade2k6 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:50 pm

I really wish the refs would change the way they called games. I just really wish the better team or the team that played better throughout the series would win, not the team who gets more phantom calls.

I said this in another thread. I think the NBA office should institute a rule where if a player badmouth a ref after the game under any circumstances, they should be heavily fined. I know they already have this rule, but it needs to be much more strict. Or if a player complains too much during a game they should be heavily fined. As an NBA fan it's annoying to just superstars complain all the time. They're superstars, they should be the ones complaining least because they should always be the best ones on the court. No I'm not just talking about Kobe. I'm talking about Kobe, LeBron, Duncan, Wade, etc. etc. It would make the games much more entertaining and more enjoyable to watch.

Saying that, yesterdays basketball in the last quarter was the kind of basketball i like to see. It was a bit sloppy offensively, but that was only because of the incredible defense both teams were playing. Seeing Kobe lock Peirce up was nice to see, not because i dislike Pierce, but becuase I like to see basketball played the way it's supposed to be played.

Now if the NBA would institute the rules I said above, the games would be played much smoother with even less complaining and whining.

Saying that, I really think the Celtics will come back strong in this upcoming game. As bad as they played (lakers had much to do with it) they only lost by 4-5 with a chance to steal that game in the last minute. As good as Kobe was offensively and defensively in the last quarter, Sasha was the reason that game was won. Without him making some clutch shots in that 4th quarter, Kobe would of had nobody else to turn too when they were trapping him. Obviously without Kobe they wouldn't be in that position in the first place though.
Big Bird
Senior
And1: 0

Post#14 » by Big Bird » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:54 pm

mr_sunshine wrote:I've got the Cs in Game 4. Neither team played well tonight but the Lakers got a few more calls, lucky bounces, and made a lot more shots. I don't see Pierce and Garnett playing that poorly again, and hopefully Rondo is back. Boston has done a good job containing LO and Pau, so I expect them to continue to do so and win a close one in Game 4.

Well, that point of view can probably go both ways. LA has done a good job containing Garnett and Perkins.

I agree about Pierce though. No way he plays so poorly again. That injury seems to be bothering him.

A lot of no-shows for both teams, though. Didn't see 2 of the 3 stars on both teams sucking so badly.
Bgil
Assistant Coach

Post#15 » by Bgil » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:02 pm

The "injury" wasn't bothering him. He just got locked down by the change in the Lakers defense. Not to mention that they stopped using the pick and roll after it had been tremendously effective in the previous games.

A face up iso against Kobe Bryant is not the smartest move and that's what Pierce went to in crunchtime. How stupid was that?

What happened to his post game? PP has no one to blame for his horrid game but himself and the coaching staff.
"I'm sure they'll jump off the bandwagon. Then when we do get back on top, they're going to want to jump back on, and we're going to tell them there's no more room." - Kobe in March of 2005
Bgil
Assistant Coach

Post#16 » by Bgil » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:07 pm

Saying that, I really think the Celtics will come back strong in this upcoming game. As bad as they played (lakers had much to do with it) they only lost by 4-5 with a chance to steal that game in the last minute.

You could say the same thing about game 2. The Lakers were right there in the last minute.

-----------------------

You guys are ridiculous with the whining about the C's not getting calls in game 3. They got tons of ridiculous calls. how about PJ's foul on Gasol. He CLEARLY had his arms tied up and they called nothing.

The C's still got a ton of calls just no where near as many as they got in game 2. Game 3 was much more fair and Boston was just outplayed by Sasha and Kobe.
"I'm sure they'll jump off the bandwagon. Then when we do get back on top, they're going to want to jump back on, and we're going to tell them there's no more room." - Kobe in March of 2005
Wade2k6
RealGM

Post#17 » by Wade2k6 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:08 pm

The last 2 minutes of the game when they weren't trapping Kobe i was just thinking "What the hell are they thinking"... How in the world are you going to keep the ball in Kobes hand instead of trapping him and making him give it up and letting one of the other role players beat you.

It was effective when they did that, except the huge 3pt Sasha hit, but that was misplayed because they left him with a wide open shot. If they grab the rebound off both of Odoms missed layups and don't let Gasol tap those in, it's a much different game.

Bad coaching.
kobe#8
Sixth Man
And1: 34

Post#18 » by kobe#8 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:11 pm

3 TO GO!
Wade2k6
RealGM

Post#19 » by Wade2k6 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:12 pm

Bgil wrote:
Saying that, I really think the Celtics will come back strong in this upcoming game. As bad as they played (lakers had much to do with it) they only lost by 4-5 with a chance to steal that game in the last minute.

You could say the same thing about game 2. The Lakers were right there in the last minute.

-----------------------

You guys are ridiculous with the whining about the C's not getting calls in game 3. They got tons of ridiculous calls. how about PJ's foul on Gasol. He CLEARLY had his arms tied up and they called nothing.

The C's still got a ton of calls just no where near as many as they got in game 2. Game 3 was much more fair and Boston was just outplayed by Sasha and Kobe.

I'm not a Lakers nor Celtic fan, so i could really care less who wins these games. I just want to see fairly called games and have the best team come out on top.

Last nights game might of been more fair then the first 2 games of the series, but that doesn't mean that the game was fairly called. I thought the same thoughts when the Lakers weren't getting calls in Boston, so it isn't just an anti-LA bias or anything like that.
mr_sunshine
Assistant Coach
And1: 482

Post#20 » by mr_sunshine » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:13 pm

Showtime:Part2 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

not quite genius. what about that kobe foul on pierce in the 4th. in the 4th they were just letting the guys play. before that kg was too busy throwing up contested turnaround jumpers. no disparity here, just kg being kg. i missed the first 9 minutes of the first quarter, so unless that was truly horrendous, it seemed like a pretty fair game.

There were a few bad calls is all I said. I didn't say what happened changed the game as the Celtics still hung in there and had a chance to win if not for missing a bunch of open shots, and Rivers inexplicably benching a red hot Ray Allen. It was just frustrating to see Boston take it to the hoop with no calls a couple times, and then someone breathes on Kobe's arm and he's at the line. Boston did settle too much for jumpers, but the calls weren't consistent. One that comes to mind was Pierce's charge. Farmar slid in front of him as he was dribbling to his left and it was a called a charge. Then two possessions or so later Fish lowered his shoulder and leveled House and it was called a block. There were also a few obvious shooting fouls that were given side out instead of FTs.

Anyhow, I'm sorry you're still bitter from the "bull" game two apparently, where the Lakers didn't drive at all and didn't get any FTs. Try to not let that taint your perception of the rest of the series though. I even went so far as to re-watch the game with a few friends who are huge Lakers fans, and after the initial bitching they admitted LA didn't deserve FT attempts because they settled too much outside. Much the same I'd say Boston stopped attacking the rim as much tonight and didn't deserve too many free throws, but did catch a few bad calls. Mainly hand checks called on them, but not on LA. That's called home court advantage sir and I'll live with it. The refs were far from atrocious, but I have seen better.

Return to The General Board