Becky Hammon- traitor to USA Basketball team?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

berdy
Freshman
And1: 0

Re: Becky Hammon- traitor to USA Basketball team? 

Post#81 » by berdy » Thu Jul 3, 2008 7:02 am

This is from ESPN's Outside the Lines:

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/vid ... 8&n8pe6c=2
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,767

Post#82 » by snaquille oatmeal » Thu Jul 3, 2008 7:03 am

blackyce wrote:I'm sorry, I don't think she's a "traitor" but you can't be an American and play in the Olympics for the f'cking Russians. Give me a break. It's inconceivable that a woman who grew up during the 80s would think this was no big deal. Forget the Kob to italy comparisons, can you imagine how Russians would react if Kirilenko decided to give it a go with Team USA? Or better yet, what if David Beckham was snubbed by English soccer again and decided he was going to play for France? If this International BS is supposed to have any meaning at all, you can't have players selling out to what passes for rivals for a fat contract. She isn't a traitor but this isn't a feel good, "good for her" type story either.

+1

if it is about fullfilling personal dreams and not about representing your country then why not make the Olympics about individuals instead of highlighting the importance of the athletes country.
Forum permissions
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot trade for basketball reasons in this forum
You cannot but I can...five rings!
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6

Post#83 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Thu Jul 3, 2008 11:00 am

Bobbcats wrote:
PhilipNelsonFan wrote:Becky Hammon's story really shows us two things:

1. How far we've come since the Cold War. 20 years ago, Becky Hammond would have been unapologetically crucified for playing for the Russians...and writerman is of the era where he sees this as a diplomatic insult. But on the flip side of the coin, the Russians would never have had the audacity to ask an American with dual citizenship (a rarity then and, presumably, now) to join their ranks without swearing off allegiance to her native country.

2. How utterly useless the Olympics have become. We know the men's basketball team doesn't care. The people who chastise Becky Hammon for her "lack of patriotism" inherently believe that there is a patriotic element to the Olympic Games, which has long since passed us by. Anymore, the Olympics are all spectacle, and we've already passed from disillusionment to numbness.

Read this for more about the Olympics' growing irrelevance.
I think you and that author both kind of miss the point. The Olympics historically aren't about country vs. country nationalism they're about putting that aside for a while and having the best athletes in the world compete, so yeah the USSR vs. USA stuff made it a little more exciting but

As far as China looking worse because of the Olympics or the Olympics becoming less popular, both of those are just wrong. China is in Olympic fever right now, and the world has pretty much already forgotten the whole Tibet thing.

The Olympics will stay strong so long as the athletes from every sport continue to love the competition, atmosphere and all being together in the same place. People love being part of the Olympics. Just because the author himself has lost interest recently doesn't mean it's a global trend.

If I'm not mistaken, you just directly contradicted yourself with the bolded part. But I see what you're getting at. Nevertheless, my point still stands; it's no longer halcyon. The Olympics are more nationalistic and patriotic than ever. If you consider that good, bad, right or wrong, that's entirely up to you, but you cannot ignore what is in effect already there. It's all about the medals and it always has been.

I won't touch on your second paragraph because that's Current Affairs jurisdiction, but you seem out of touch with how the world actually is. You can't honestly believe Tibet has been forgotten. Your last paragraph is pretty much on but I think you're neglecting the bigger picture.
Tim Lehrbach wrote:I will break the Rose Garden.
vwc228
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#84 » by vwc228 » Thu Jul 3, 2008 1:54 pm

Anyone who has had to work and struggle in life to make a living should be able to fully understand her decision. She is getting paid very well to play for Russia. The US clearly did NOT want one of their own (best) players. what is she supposed to do? Stay at home and cry about it or take a very lucritave offer from another team that wants her?

For those who talk about patriotism and "love of country" etc etc etc...will patriotism come and pay her bills 5-10 years after she's done playing and finding it difficult to get another job (as most athletes do)? Will "love of nation" pay for her or her family's cancer treatment if (God forbid) they ever get sick? Will patriotism help her get back on her feet if she can't pay the mortgage on her house? I doubt it. In fact, no ONE will even ask about her once she's done (heck, it seems that even some of the coaching jobs in the WNBA are not even being givin to women and more men seem to be getting them).

Overlooking the fact that her country didn't want her, Becky did what any reasonable individual should do: she made a decision that will greatly help her and her family's financial well being. Good for her.

Another question: why are people like the Enron CEO, Martha Steward, and all the other people that lie and steal from the American public and actually do MUCH MORE harm to America not considered unpatriotic but someone like Becky who has done NO HARM to anyone in America is considered so? I think our moral compass is greatly skewed.
6_Rings
RealGM
And1: 2,891

Post#85 » by 6_Rings » Thu Jul 3, 2008 2:05 pm

if she's a Russian citizen then by all means she should join their national team. nobody gave a hoot when she gave up her citizenship, and now when she becomes an asset to a foreign team that may affect the US team's chances, they call her a traitor. hypocrisy? false patriotism? take your pick.
phd1969
Starter
And1: 25

Post#86 » by phd1969 » Thu Jul 3, 2008 2:50 pm

Must be some ballers on this forum for people giving her grief for playing for Russia and thus passing on $4 million.
da.vid
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#87 » by da.vid » Thu Jul 3, 2008 5:43 pm

GuyverX wrote:
snaquille oatmeal wrote:the USA coach should be investigated in this case and perhaps fired if in fact Becky is good enough to make the team...

How does being 2nd in MVP voting sound? Is that good enough for you to make the team?

highest american too, came 2nd behind lauren jackson (australian)
OhMyBosh
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,206

Post#88 » by OhMyBosh » Thu Jul 3, 2008 7:14 pm

snaquille oatmeal wrote:
OhMyBosh wrote:
snaquille oatmeal wrote:she is a Russian citizen only for the conveniece of travel because she plays in a Russian team in the off season and not because she loves Russia so much that she denounced her USA citicizenship, in fact she still a USA citizen as well.

Ever heard of dual-citizenship? Why would you only choose to be a citizen of one country if she has an opportunity to be of two. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. She spends a significant amount of her life in Russia so she can choose to play for them.

I have no idea why so many people are calling her out for this. It's the head coach that should be put to shame. Becky is a great player. You reject her offer and criticize her for choosing to play for another country that she's a citizen of? How can you call someone unpatriotic if they wanted to represent their country in the first place?

In fact, those who actually believes that she's selfish are selfish themselves. Not wanting a Russian citizen to play for their national team because she's also American, yet denyng her a spot on the USA Olympic roster. American patriotism? What about Russian patriotism?
when I said that she is a Russian citizen and a USA citizen, dual citizenship was implied so I don't know why you brought that up.

what I do call Becky on is the fact that the reason for her Russian citizenship is for traveling convinience and not patriotic allegiance to Russia. on that basis I see her decision to play for Russia as selfish and unpatriotic.
I am not saying she can't play for Russia. she can do whatever she wants, but I will say that she is making it about her and not about representing her country of patriotic allegiance.

so I will take the word of some previous posters and go with she is good enough for the USA team, then the coach should be investigated and hopefully fired.

How do you know she doesn't love the country as well? Do you think America is so great that she couldn't possibly like to live elsewhere except for the money? Give me a break. Russia is not the only other country that she can play basketball in. She's one of the greatest female basketball players in the world. She could played in Europe if she wanted to.

She's representing her country, so that's patriotic allegiance. Blame the coach for that country not being USA.

I don't really know why I'm spending so much time on this topic, but I just think it's a travesty that the media would be so ignorant and attack her actions only from an American point of view.
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,767

Post#89 » by snaquille oatmeal » Thu Jul 3, 2008 7:33 pm

vwc228 wrote:Anyone who has had to work and struggle in life to make a living should be able to fully understand her decision. She is getting paid very well to play for Russia. The US clearly did NOT want one of their own (best) players. what is she supposed to do? Stay at home and cry about it or take a very lucritave offer from another team that wants her?

Overlooking the fact that her country didn't want her, Becky did what any reasonable individual should do: she made a decision that will greatly help her and her family's financial well being. Good for her.

so she made her decision based on finacial gain rather than her patriotic allegiance and principals. I say that makes her at the very least a sell out.

vwc228 wrote:For those who talk about patriotism and "love of country" etc etc etc...will patriotism come and pay her bills 5-10 years after she's done playing and finding it difficult to get another job (as most athletes do)? Will "love of nation" pay for her or her family's cancer treatment if (God forbid) they ever get sick? Will patriotism help her get back on her feet if she can't pay the mortgage on her house? I doubt it. In fact, no ONE will even ask about her once she's done (heck, it seems that even some of the coaching jobs in the WNBA are not even being givin to women and more men seem to be getting them).

maybe I am old fashioned, but I am one who beleives in personal sacrifises in the name of country and personal beleives.

one of those beleives is that when you participate in the Olympics you represent your country, the country that you hold dear and respect and are willing to sacrifice for. to me the Olympics are not just games for the sake of games. the Olympics represent a lot more than "it is just games".

the Olympic team represents the country that you pledge patriotic allegiance to and that is something that I personally would not sell out.

there have been many atheletes who have made those kind of gestures and commitments before. I am thinking of people like Joe Louis, Pat Tillman, Cassius Clay who sacrificed their primes for their beleifs, patriotism and principles.

I understand that not everybody has what it takes or even understands that type of loyalty to country in this era that it's required to make that huge of sacrifice. however if you are going for greatness in an iternational forum where country is more important than the athelete then it is not just about Dollars and Rubles.

if you would be content with winning a gold medal in the Olympics for a country that you don't have patriotic allegiance for because you got paid, then more power to you, but don't expect me to respect what you stand for.

vwc228 wrote:Another question: why are people like the Enron CEO, Martha Steward, and all the other people that lie and steal from the American public and actually do MUCH MORE harm to America not considered unpatriotic but someone like Becky who has done NO HARM to anyone in America is considered so? I think our moral compass is greatly skewed.

it is a selfish, unpatriotic act to basically sell out your principles and play for a country in the Olympics that she does not have a patriotic allegiance for. like I said before I would not call her a traitor or even unpatriotic in the general sense, but the act itself is selfish and unpatriotic.

as far as the Enron CEO and Martha Steward goes they commited criminal acts and I look apon them as criminals.

now Karl Rove, Dick Chaney, Scooter Libby, W, and co in the Plame issue, that is a different story all together, but that is also a topic for the CA board.

6 rings wrote:if she's a Russian citizen then by all means she should join their national team. nobody gave a hoot when she gave up her citizenship, and now when she becomes an asset to a foreign team that may affect the US team's chances, they call her a traitor. hypocrisy? false patriotism? take your pick.
if she's a Russian citizen then by all means she should join their national team. nobody gave a hoot when she gave up her citizenship, and now when she becomes an asset to a foreign team that may affect the US team's chances, they call her a traitor. hypocrisy? false patriotism? take your pick.

she never gave up her US citizenship. she has duel citizenship. she has also stated that her patriotic allegiance is to the USA and that she accepted the Russian citezenship because it is more convinient for her to travel in Russia when her team plays road games all around Russia.
Forum permissions