ESPN - Jefferson For Yi and Simmons

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

LakerFanMan
Lead Assistant
And1: 16

Re: ESPN - Jefferson For Yi and Simmons 

Post#151 » by LakerFanMan » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:24 am

Nashty wrote:Great trade by the nets. Jefferson is overrated, while Yi is going to be a star. No idea what the bucks were thinking.

They were thinking, "Lets trade a good prospect and bobby frickin simmons for a 28 year old SF in the prime of his carreer averaging nearly 23ppg on 46% shooting."
Serpo
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#152 » by Serpo » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:27 am

When you look at the stats you think what where the Nets thinking ? When you actually watched the Nets and RJ you understand why they did it .
LakerFanMan
Lead Assistant
And1: 16

Post#153 » by LakerFanMan » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:32 am

Eh I live in Jersey and watch the Nets a lot. Always thought RJ was a little overrated and I do think that team needed to be blown up. However, they probably could have got more for RJ talent wise.

Then again, from a bussiness perspective, this is a great trade for the Nets. Yi and the huge over seas market he brings is what made this trade worth it for them.
Serpo
Veteran

Post#154 » by Serpo » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:35 am

I doubt they could have done better from a buiness perspective . Maybe they could have done slightly better talentwise but still a solid move.
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,742

Post#155 » by meatball sub » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:04 am

Alright the Bucks just sealed the deal. I don't like anything they did today.

Richard Jefferson, Joe Alexander, and Mabah A Moute? What exactly is that going to add to what they already have?
Serpo
Veteran

Post#156 » by Serpo » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:19 am

http://www.nba.com/nets/tickets/splash.html

Cash Cow Milking has already been started Brad Yormark just couldn't wait to begin it :D
Jaykoolzboy
Assistant Coach
And1: 95

Post#157 » by Jaykoolzboy » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:24 am

I think it's quiet descent trade for both team.

Bucks got

1. Veteran that can play and give you 20ppg 5rbp, and couple assists.
2. Get rid of Bobby Simmons pathetic contract.
3. Could contend again for the playoffs spot in the east.

NJN got

1. Super marketing tool that could save their franchise and jersey sells (only Yao, Lebron, Kobe, Wade and guys like CP is more marketable than Yi)
2. Potiential 20-9 guy with great size and athleticism. Chinese guy playing in New York area? Need I say more?
3. Shorten the salary cap from 4 years (RJ's contract) to 2 years (B Simmons contract), they might have some big name 2 years later.

Descent trade for both team IMO, but I like it better for the Nets because the clear direction they are going now (get younger,rebuild and hopefully some big name will come)

Very nice deal for both team after all.
shawngoat23
Lead Assistant
And1: 286

Post#158 » by shawngoat23 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:27 am

Nice trade for the Nets. They got rid of a good SF, but one that wasn't going to take them anywhere, and got a young talent in return. They'll be able to go into full rebuilding mode. And oh yeah, he'll generate tons of revenue.

The Bucks got a talented SF, but I don't see them competing even with Jefferson. Not sure if they're planning to follow up on this trade, but I don't think this was a good move (in the long-term).
Alex_De_Large
Lead Assistant
And1: 45

Post#159 » by Alex_De_Large » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:05 pm

ouch... i thought bobby simmons was an expiring, so both teams would win.
but having simmons for 2 or 3 more years, it's a real bad deal for the nets.
Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 541

Post#160 » by Buck You » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:20 pm

Nashty wrote:Great trade by the nets. Jefferson is overrated, while Yi is going to be a star. No idea what the bucks were thinking.

What did Yi do last year to show that he was going to be a star? I think he'll be a good player, a Joe Smith type, but he didn't show anything last year that he was going to be a star. He has a long, long way to go.
Serpo
Veteran

Post#161 » by Serpo » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:27 pm

Alex_De_Large wrote:ouch... i thought bobby simmons was an expiring, so both teams would win.
but having simmons for 2 or 3 more years, it's a real bad deal for the nets.

For the Nets this is essentially an expiring . It's not like we where planning to do something in 09 with Capspace anyway. Yi should bring alot more money then every expiring contract could have saved over Simmons who's now replacing RJ in the depth chart .

RJ's contract had to go we've been trying to trade him for quite some time now and never had success with it . His contract really is pretty ugly for a 2nd to 3rd guy .
Teen Girl Squad
Head Coach
And1: 2,992

Post#162 » by Teen Girl Squad » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:50 pm

Plus remember that the nets couldn't even sell out playoff games with Kidd/Carter/Jefferson so its not as if they will miss him in ticket sales. If you're going to suck, do it cheap and young at least.
Birth of the Cool
Analyst
And1: 1,446

Post#163 » by Birth of the Cool » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:52 pm

thinking this trade again overnight I do think for the IMMEDIATE future RJ is easily the better player however RJ has played with one of the most unselfish (oncourt) backcourt tandems in the NBA in Kidd/Carter and that is great for someone like RJ who isn't great (not bad, but not top level) at creating his own offense but is really good at making himself available for scoring opportunities.

Now he goes to a backcourt duo that many consider shoot first type of guys in Mo/Redd. Will they give RJ the ball when he's ready to score or will his skillset be underutilized (like Bogut) because of the Buck's backcourt....Scott Skiles might be the answer.
Serpo
Veteran

Post#164 » by Serpo » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:30 pm

RJ , K-Mart and JKidd united to cann Byron Scott will RJ and Mo , Redd , Bogut do the same ?

RJ's close with Kidd so RJ should already know what he has to expect ( pretty sure JKidd told some stories from his Phoenix time ) and i'm pretty sure he already hates it .
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#165 » by HMFFL » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:38 pm

I like the for the Bucks. I don't expect Milwaukee to make anymore major moves during the off-season.

I'm happy for Yi and I hope his game develops under the system. It's hard to gauge what type of year New Jersey is going to have because Devin and Vince are going to have there work cut out for them. Bobby Simmons is also another good player that will be serviceable to the team. He needs to stay healthy and put the injuries behind for him for the Nets to have success.
BROWN
RealGM
And1: 74

Post#166 » by BROWN » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:54 pm

Love it for the bucks.
magicfan4life05
RealGM
And1: 198

Post#167 » by magicfan4life05 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:04 am

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wireta ... _to_bucks/

Jefferson Not Happy With Trade To Bucks?

Richard Jefferson is not happy with the draft day trade which sent him to the Milwaukee Bucks in exchange for Yi Jianlian and Bobby Simmons, the New York Post is reporting.

Jefferson communicated with Nets team president Rod Thorn via text message, and the two have not yet spoken.

"He didn't seem very happy," said Thorn. "I spoke to his agent, I called him, texted him. I like Richard. He was here for a long time and I'm sure he still expected to be here. Unless you are the one pushing for it, it's always difficult when you are traded. You are going to a new place, have new teammates. It's hard at first."

So who wants to try and guess what those text messages were?
Dwight Howard on his FT struggles:

"I just think everybody needs to stop talking about it," Howard said. "There's more to life than free throws."
Comet
Veteran
And1: 8

Post#168 » by Comet » Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:53 pm

magicfan4life05 wrote:http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/53280/20080630/jefferson_not_happy_with_trade_to_bucks/

Jefferson Not Happy With Trade To Bucks?

Richard Jefferson is not happy with the draft day trade which sent him to the Milwaukee Bucks in exchange for Yi Jianlian and Bobby Simmons, the New York Post is reporting.

Jefferson communicated with Nets team president Rod Thorn via text message, and the two have not yet spoken.

"He didn't seem very happy," said Thorn. "I spoke to his agent, I called him, texted him. I like Richard. He was here for a long time and I'm sure he still expected to be here. Unless you are the one pushing for it, it's always difficult when you are traded. You are going to a new place, have new teammates. It's hard at first."

So who wants to try and guess what those text messages were?

Not sure, but he'll get over it. In a few weeks he'll be fine.

Return to The General Board