ESPN - Jefferson For Yi and Simmons

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Cigamodnalro
RealGM
And1: 66

Re: ESPN - Jefferson For Yi and Simmons 

Post#61 » by Cigamodnalro » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:34 pm

Pretty sure the JJ comment was written facetiously.

That said, as far as player value goes, Yi is far below Richard Jefferson. Yi, much like Carlos Arroyo in Orlando, was brought in for his marketing value. The Nets clear cap space, and sell six million more jerseys. Also, the team has to be enamored with the idea of the 2010 Brooklyn Nets, owned by Jay-Z and starring FA signee LeBron James and Asian sensation Yi J, playing in their new stadium. They'd have two of the most popular guys from the NBA's two biggest fan-bases, and could literally become America's team overnight.

But for the time being, the Nets gave away a true NBA talent, and got bits and pieces in return.
jumanji
Sixth Man
And1: 4

Post#62 » by jumanji » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:38 pm

Next question. Do the Bucks still go with Alexander? (doubt it) and do the Nets proceed with Gallinari? (probable)
Iggyemu
RealGM
And1: 0

Post#63 » by Iggyemu » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:38 pm

jumanji wrote:Next question. Do the Bucks still go with Alexander? (doubt it) and do the Nets proceed with Gallinari? (probable)

Andy Katz said Alexander is their guy.
jumanji
Sixth Man

Post#64 » by jumanji » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:41 pm

Cigamodnalro wrote:Pretty sure the JJ comment was written facetiously.

That said, as far as player value goes, Yi is far below Richard Jefferson. Yi, much like Carlos Arroyo in Orlando, was brought in for his marketing value. The Nets clear cap space, and sell six million more jerseys. Also, the team has to be enamored with the idea of the 2010 Brooklyn Nets, owned by Jay-Z and starring FA signee LeBron James and Asian sensation Yi J, playing in their new stadium. They'd have two of the most popular guys from the NBA's two biggest fan-bases, and could literally become America's team overnight.

But for the time being, the Nets gave away a true NBA talent, and got bits and pieces in return.

jefferson a true NBA talent? ok.
pl
Junior
And1: 1

Post#65 » by pl » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:44 pm

Bucks don't need an SF anymore. They were supposed to take him because of Yi anyway.

Alexander goes to Jersey now IMO
triplet1984
General Manager
And1: 177

Post#66 » by triplet1984 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:45 pm

Really nice trade for the Bucks.

John Hammond at work. In his first major move, he gets one of the better SFs in the league. He gave away a "young" prospect, but not one that was special (yet). Besides, I couldn't see Yi fitting under the Skiles regime.

The Bucks were such a nothing franchise before, that I cannot possibly see this hurting them unless RJ goes down to injury. With Michael Redd, and RJ, they just need one big man to break out.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 44,915

Post#67 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:46 pm

Yi is still a big unknown. He looked decent in the beginning of the season, then looked horrible, then was shut down with a knee injury. How much of a marketing boost he gives the Nets is directly related to how good he turns out to be. And that remains to be seen.
jumanji
Sixth Man

Post#68 » by jumanji » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:47 pm

pl wrote:Bucks don't need an SF anymore. They were supposed to take him because of Yi anyway.

Alexander goes to Jersey now IMO

Or Portland if they trade up.
Teen Girl Squad
Head Coach
And1: 2,988

Post#69 » by Teen Girl Squad » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:48 pm

Good deal for both teams IMO. Bucks win talent wise and open up the 3/4 spot in the draft. Nets get younger and are going full rebuild mode. I expect Carter to be gone soon or at least rumors flying around.
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,728

Post#70 » by meatball sub » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:49 pm

If the Bucks somehow end up with Lopez or Love tonight then this looks a lot better. If they draft Joe Alexander I maintain my stance that they have no idea what they're doing.
Cigamodnalro
RealGM
And1: 66

Post#71 » by Cigamodnalro » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:51 pm

jumanji wrote:
Cigamodnalro wrote:Pretty sure the JJ comment was written facetiously.

jefferson a true NBA talent? ok.

Yeah, I think so. He's one of the craftiest offensive players on the league, and he'll draw defenders from Redd. He averaged 23 points on 47% shooting last year, and he's the perfect role player for a team like the Bucks. When he wants to, he can bring it defensively (last season was his worst so far), and can slash as well as shoot. Milwaukee becomes much better with the trade.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#72 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:53 pm

jumanji wrote:If this is true it amazes me how quick teams give up on players. Basically you're giving up on a guy who would be a junior in college had he been in college.

Yi is 23 or so, not 20. Not old, but not as young as his "official" age has been given by the Chinese.
ChampionRed
Assistant Coach
And1: 881

Post#73 » by ChampionRed » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:54 pm

I like this trade for the Nets. We're getting ready for 2010 plus Yi still has a LOT to prove. Jefferson's time was up. He tried last year for us but became to cocky and stopped playing defense. He started calling ISOs for himself which usually resulted in fade away or bad shots. He was a great Net, never complained and will be missed and I hope he is rejuvenated after this trade and starts to play like his old self again. Good trade for both sides.
Clincher
General Manager
And1: 694

Post#74 » by Clincher » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:56 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Yi is still a big unknown. He looked decent in the beginning of the season, then looked horrible, then was shut down with a knee injury. How much of a marketing boost he gives the Nets is directly related to how good he turns out to be. And that remains to be seen.

Didnt really get to work with a great coach in MIL though.

Then again NJ doesnt have it much better either, which leads me to believe Frank is going to be canned pretty soon.
richboy
RealGM
And1: 2,486

Post#75 » by richboy » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:57 pm

Yi still has good potential. Obviously NJ is in full rebuild mode. I guess the question is now what can they get for Vince.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." John Wooden
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Post#76 » by TheOUTLAW » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:00 pm

This is a very good trade for Milwaukee. It will be interesting to see if all their players will be able to share the ball, but they've got some serious potential considering they really didn't give up that much especially.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#77 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:02 pm

Bucks will be making more moves in the next month. Everyone but Bogut and Sessions are on the block.
triplet1984
General Manager
And1: 177

Post#78 » by triplet1984 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:03 pm

Dumped a bad contract + a guy who didn't want to be in Milwaukee to begin with... for an elite 3 who can match up with Pierce, Lebron, and Tay Prince... damn, Mr. Hammond, damn. You're good.

One or two more moves and I'd start worrying about the Bucks. At least for 2 years until Skiles wears out his welcome.
-bob-
RealGM
And1: 41

Post#79 » by -bob- » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:03 pm

Awesome trade for the Bucks.

NJ fans should be pissed, trading a good player for a sucky player just so your owner can make $$$, its unfortunate.
jumanji
Sixth Man

Post#80 » by jumanji » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:06 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
jumanji wrote:If this is true it amazes me how quick teams give up on players. Basically you're giving up on a guy who would be a junior in college had he been in college.

Yi is 23 or so, not 20. Not old, but not as young as his "official" age has been given by the Chinese.

Did he admit to that because to me that is only rumor.

Return to The General Board