BREAKING: OJ Mayo traded for Kevin Love

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Kobay
General Manager
And1: 5

Re: BREAKING: OJ Mayo traded for Kevin Love 

Post#101 » by Kobay » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:58 pm

^memphis now has 20 mil to sign someone this season, or they can wait a year and use 40mil to sign bunch of people.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,874

Post#102 » by Curmudgeon » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:37 pm

Ming Kong! wrote:Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me all together. I don't think Memphis gets equal value in return in dumping Miller and Love. On top of tap, I think they were doing well between 1-3, while having a very week frontcourt. Address your biggest needs first. Perhaps they are still trying to find themselves and care more about getting someone who can mold in a franchise player instead? Well I guess one way or another it could work out for Memphis.

To me Minnesota made a so-so move. Miller could slow Brewer's development. Jefferson will still minutes away from Love.

I really expect Minnesota to make a few moves now, and focus on getting a real PG.

Well, if they are looking for a real pg, Mayo isn't that player (although Chalmers was). My guess is that they will look for one in free agency. White chocolate is available, also Arroyo, Duhon and some others.
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Post#103 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:50 pm

PapooseKN wrote:It's silly to compare Mayo to Love based on their college performances. Love is the type to dominate in the NCAA where OJ skills and attributes make him more valuable in the NBA. + The system he was in at USC was crap.

I agree, Love will be a solid player but not an all-star. Mayo could be a perennial all-star and is the face of the Grizzlies franchise.
killbuckner
RealGM
And1: 0

Post#104 » by killbuckner » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:08 pm

I think that if Mayo weren't held back in school then he would have had an even less impressive freshman season and the talk about how he will be a perennial all-star would be even more silly. Good for the wolves for cashing in big on a highly overrated player. The wolves just need to add talent to the roster- its far too early for them to worry about how everyone fits together. Seriously when it comes down to it adding talent to the roster in a way that will keep them high in the lottery next year may be the best thing.
cb4_89
RealGM
And1: 517

Post#105 » by cb4_89 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:22 pm

SA37 wrote:Dammit!

I was so stoked to hear commentators say throughout the season:

"Love finds Gay" or "Gay finds Love" or "Love to Gay" or "Gay to Love" or "Love spots Gay in the corner"

Gay finds love in the corner.
Alex_De_Large
Lead Assistant
And1: 45

Post#106 » by Alex_De_Large » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:56 pm

mike miller, cardinal, collins _____ buckner, antoine, jaric = wolves win, miller is better than anyone from the wolves and grizzlies players have better contracts, only 2 years left, wolves 3 years left.

mayo _____ love = grizz win.

you just have to ask yourself which one of the 2 trades is better. maybe the mayo-love since mayo could be all-star level, if he is all-star level in 2/3 years, the grizzlies will win in this trade.
killbuckner
RealGM

Post#107 » by killbuckner » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:18 pm

Cardinal > Jaric - shorter contract
Collins > Buckner - shorter contract
Mike Miller + Kevin Love > Mayo + Expiring. - There is absolutely no guarantee that Mayo will be better than Love straight up. There is no guarantee that Mayo will be better than what Miller already is.

I really love this trade for the Wolves- who cares whether their team fits together great right now, they aren't going to win anything anyway. They just need to add value to the roster and they did that very well.
Don Draper
General Manager
And1: 506

Post#108 » by Don Draper » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:21 pm

Bob Ortegal wrote:
obinna wrote:Lets look at weaknesses.

Kevin Love:
Nonathletic
Weak
Slow

OJ mayo:
Maybe cannot be a PG

OJ Mayo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Love

Kevin Love is weak? LOL you are a troll or an idiot.

For the NBA, yes genius. You obviously weren't watching when he was getting pushed around by Joey Dorsey.

I guess you misremembered Kevin Love saying he needed to get strongerp...
cjs55
Pro Prospect
And1: 17

Post#109 » by cjs55 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:24 pm

Certainly a good trade valuewise for Minn, but the team they are building doesn't make sense as has been pointed out. Perhaps they have another trade in the works.
shakeandbake
Junior

Post#110 » by shakeandbake » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:28 pm

killbuckner wrote:Cardinal > Jaric - shorter contract
Collins > Buckner - shorter contract
Mike Miller + Kevin Love > Mayo + Expiring. - There is absolutely no guarantee that Mayo will be better than Love straight up. There is no guarantee that Mayo will be better than what Miller already is.

I really love this trade for the Wolves- who cares whether their team fits together great right now, they aren't going to win anything anyway. They just need to add value to the roster and they did that very well.

The point that you are overlooking is that at least Jaric will provide the team with some playing time. You will be paying Cardinal $7M to wear a suit on the end of the bench.
Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 541

Post#111 » by Buck You » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:35 pm

B Calrissian wrote:
asdfgh wrote:Foye/ Telfair (?RFA)
Snyder (?RFA)/ McCants
Miller/ Brewer
Love/ Gomes/ Smith/ Cardinal
Jefferson/ Collins/ Madsen/ Richard

Foye/Telfair
Brewer/McCants
Miller/Gomes
Love/Richard/Cardinal
Jefferson/Collins/Madsen

As a Wolves fan I like it.

Lol@ Corey Brewer.

Well this trade was.. surprising. I thought that Mayo could net the Twolves a lot of money since he is marketable(just signed with Nike) while being a good player for them. I guess Kevin thought Love was the second coming of him?? Pass those shrooms to some other GM's Kevin. Bucks need to get rid of Mo and CV for some good players.
Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 541

Post#112 » by Buck You » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:36 pm

obinna wrote:
Bob Ortegal wrote:
obinna wrote:Lets look at weaknesses.

Kevin Love:
Nonathletic
Weak
Slow

OJ mayo:
Maybe cannot be a PG

OJ Mayo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Love

Kevin Love is weak? LOL you are a troll or an idiot.

For the NBA, yes genius. You obviously weren't watching when he was getting pushed around by Joey Dorsey.

I guess you misremembered Kevin Love saying he needed to get strongerp...

Misremembered LOL.
killbuckner
RealGM

Post#113 » by killbuckner » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:38 pm

Jaric will play but he isn't good enough to actually help the team. Many of the minutes he plays he is so bad that it actually lowers his value to have him on the court. I think when it comes down it it would easily cost more to get someone to take 3 years of jaric than 2 years of cardinal. There is no point in the next 2 years that you would turn down an expiring contract for Jaric.
wolves_fan_82au
Assistant Coach
And1: 32

Post#114 » by wolves_fan_82au » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:48 pm

this is all part of minnesota big plan too make all the teams around them better so they can get the 1st pick next year and grab Rubio

im expecting seattle to get Mike Miller real soon :lol:
_BBIB_
Lead Assistant
And1: 15

Post#115 » by _BBIB_ » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:26 pm

The Wolves just traded away a guy with star potential for a guy who projects to be a role player.

I hope for the Wolves sake, Love has the impact that Horford has for my Hawks and that he can man down the 4 spot alongside Jefferson at the 5.

I also hope for their sake that Foye actually pans out.

Because man if not, what a terrible trade.

BTW, the Grizz are seriously like one player away from being a legit team. And look how young the trio is at 1-3.

Conley
Mayo
Gay

Without even looking I know the oldest of those guys can't be older than 22.

Then you add Darko and if they go get a 4, that's a decent squad
Shaheen wrote:You wanna make a sig bet that Horford will not win this year? They will not even hit .500. Book it.
:lol:
CBS7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,447

Post#116 » by CBS7 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:32 pm

Darko sucks, but I do really like their 1-2-3 combo in Conley/Mayo/Gay.

I don't like this deal at all from Minnesota's POV. You have too many guards, sure, but none who were Mayo's caliber. What's wrong with going forward with a Foye/Mayo backcourt? Instead you have another 6-9 bigman to put next to Jefferson. They may work well offensively, but they will struggle massively on the defensive end.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,030

Post#117 » by HMFFL » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:42 pm

OJ has so much potential that I have mixed feelings about this trade for Minny. However, the team looks like there trying to win now, and dump the bad contracts that have been with the team for some time. I like the foundation with Al Jefferson, Mike Miller and the youth. It's time for them to tweak the team and not stop trying to add solid depth to what they currently have.

Memphis acquired someone that can become a star and move the team towards the right direction with the current roster. It's another youth movement here, but the foundation is becoming more solid, so just like Minny the future could be a very bright one.
BROWN
RealGM
And1: 74

Post#118 » by BROWN » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:53 pm

I don't like this on the wolves part, Mayo will be a superstar, Love will be a good player.
Don Draper
General Manager
And1: 506

Post#119 » by Don Draper » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:31 pm

I'm perplexed.
KRANG
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,319

Post#120 » by KRANG » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:47 pm

I just got off the phone with a friend of mine thats a T-wolves fan. I had to talk him from jumping off a bridge. Mccale is messed in the head.

Return to The General Board