BREAKING: OJ Mayo traded for Kevin Love

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Iggyemu
RealGM
And1: 0

Re: BREAKING: OJ Mayo traded for Kevin Love 

Post#121 » by Iggyemu » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:25 pm

I love how McHale thinks Love will provide "toughness and defense" on their front line. Its like McHale lives in another world. He will spread the floor for Jefferson though. And Mike Miller is a good NBA player.
wolves_fan_82au
Assistant Coach
And1: 32

Post#122 » by wolves_fan_82au » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:59 am

ok now im confused, i thought half u guys said that there is only 2 franchise players in this draft and from 3-12 are about the same

now after the draft everyone is saying 3 franchise players ?????????

Mayo would have been good in minnesota but theres been reports by scouts that Love can be as good as mayo
Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 541

Post#123 » by Buck You » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:06 am

Scouts also said that Robert Tractor Traylor would be a beast.
wolves_fan_82au
Assistant Coach

Post#124 » by wolves_fan_82au » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:42 am

ReddBogutCharlieV wrote:Scouts also said that Robert Tractor Traylor would be a beast.

yep it can work both ways , but how did he go in college did he make the final 4?
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,085

Post#125 » by High 5 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:43 am

Love Mayo.
Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 541

Post#126 » by Buck You » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:48 am

wolves_fan_82au wrote:
ReddBogutCharlieV wrote:Scouts also said that Robert Tractor Traylor would be a beast.

yep it can work both ways , but how did he go in college did he make the final 4?

UCLA had 3 players drafted on Thursday night. Two in the top 5. When a team has that much talent in College they are going to dominate since the other teams usually have one or no players going into the NBA on their teams. That's not to say Love wasn't very productive on UCLA, because he was, but just saying he didn't do it by himself.
CB4MiamiHeat
General Manager
And1: 2

Post#127 » by CB4MiamiHeat » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:02 am

i think building inside out makes perfect sense.....Wolves had Mayo/Jefferson as an inside out duo...and the Grizzlies had Gay/Love.

The Wolves got better with Mike Miller.....but theyre not good enough to make the playoffs, and theyre not bad enough to get a top 3 pick...a see a future of mediocrity for them. Same with the Grizzlies, they just have a bunch of guards.

I dont think the trade made sense for either team.......these are the 2 worst GMs in the league.
wolves_fan_82au
Assistant Coach

Post#128 » by wolves_fan_82au » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:32 am

i disagree minnesota will be bottom 3 mainly cause we cant defend

you need defense to win games and our best defender is probley Brewer
teams supporting
NBA-Minnesota t-wolves
NHL-Toronto Mapleleafs
NFL-Miami Dolphins
MLB-???
Others:Wests Tigers,Leeds United,Schalke,VVV,Sydney Kings,Tatsuma Ito
SiCk-R-tHaNeVeR
Junior
And1: 1

Post#129 » by SiCk-R-tHaNeVeR » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:46 am

wolves_fan_82au wrote:i disagree minnesota will be bottom 3 mainly cause we cant defend

you need defense to win games and our best defender is probley Brewer

LOL, ouch no confidence in your team? Unfortunately, I agree with the original poster in saying you just become more mediocre with this trade.

Year 1 - M.Miller alone might win you more games than a young Mayo....but with both him and Love's grunt work you will win more games....whether that's 30+ or not who knows. Result a crappier late lottery pick.

Year 2 - If Mayo is the start predicted you might win more games with him but probably Miller and Love give more, either way though you know if Mayo is gonna be the Franchise guy and build your franchise that way. Result late lottery or MAYBE playoffs with no Franchise guy.

MEDIOCRITY ENSUES unless you get a star FA to come to the land of the cold!
GG2108
Ballboy

Post#130 » by GG2108 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:08 am

I know this has been said a lot but Kevin McHale = IDIOT!!!

im not a sota fan but i was hopin Al Jeff would get some help down there!! i no he has a few goodd players but gamn Mayo woulda made a difference in my opinion.

Not instant playoff contenders but they were lookin mean for the future!!
wolves_fan_82au
Assistant Coach

Post#131 » by wolves_fan_82au » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:29 am

GG2108 wrote:I know this has been said a lot but Kevin McHale = IDIOT!!!

im not a sota fan but i was hopin Al Jeff would get some help down there!! i no he has a few goodd players but gamn Mayo woulda made a difference in my opinion.

Not instant playoff contenders but they were lookin mean for the future!!

we still are we probley should of won 30 games last year but foye and ratliff got injured and missed almost the intire season

Mayo would of been nice but i think i remember Al Jefferson asking for help in the post he was doing way too much work guarding 2 guys all the time

Mccants has the chance to be a great SG maybe not as good as Mayo but still good enough,and foye avg almost 20 ppg in april , the future is looking good if they can get it together on defense

also apparently the euro centre the wolves took at 31 is very good and mchale said he will be over in 2 years which is another good piece to add to this team
DG4L
Freshman

Post#132 » by DG4L » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:17 pm

wolves_fan_82au wrote:ok now im confused, i thought half u guys said that there is only 2 franchise players in this draft and from 3-12 are about the same

now after the draft everyone is saying 3 franchise players ?????????

Mayo would have been good in minnesota but theres been reports by scouts that Love can be as good as mayo

There's no defending this trade man. We had a potential star in our hands and we gave him away for an undersized PF that can't play defense. I don't think this franchise will ever win a championship or be anything more than mediocre with a Jefferson/Love front court on defense. Jefferson and Love have nearly the same physical attributes. They're both slow, not very explosive, not very athletic, and neither can handle players taller than them. Very poor compliments defensively.

I wish McHale would just disappear and leave this franchise alone. Please.
MaRcu5
Junior

Post#133 » by MaRcu5 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:58 pm

Mayo shot 44% in college. He's not that great.

Mike Miller was the best player in the trade.
fleet40
Junior
And1: 40

Post#134 » by fleet40 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:00 pm

Now what if Love becomes the second coming of Bill Laimbeer (which I do not think he will, but I have read the comparison) but if he did, would you guys be happy with that?

I mean Laimbeer was a smidge taller than Love - But when Detroit traded for Laimbeer back then, no one here in Detroit was screaming Bill's praises. In fact every writer I can remember said Detroit had NO chance competing for a championship with Laimbeer as their starting C. And Laimbeer became a all-star nearly every year since that trade 83 - 84 - 85 - 87 - Not bad for a slow, plodding guy.

Love has the nose for rebounding- And he hustles. And his strength can improve. he has a decent jump shot (not Laimbeer good, but not too shabby either) and fair range.

You guys, MAY(o) have found a diamond in the rough.

But realistically, he will probably not pan out. I have heard guys like Michael Doliac was the next coming too. And well... he couldn't hold Laimbeer's jock.
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 9,340

Post#135 » by DelaneyRudd » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:09 pm

How could they trade a sure fire hall of famer and all around squeaky clean guy like OJ Mayo!
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 9,340

Post#136 » by DelaneyRudd » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:09 pm

Ooh, aquamarine!
Don Draper
General Manager
And1: 506

Post#137 » by Don Draper » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:09 pm

MaRcu5 wrote:Mayo shot 44% in college. He's not that great.

I love posts like this.
a) He was asked to carry the offensive load as a freshman
b) As the season progressed he got a lot better.
c) Just isolating his FG% doesn't prove anything.
d) Last time I checked defense mattered
e) Mike Miller has 2 more years left on his deal. if the T'Wolves are mediocre for the next 2 years I can't see him having an incentive to stay.
MaRcu5
Junior

Post#138 » by MaRcu5 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:32 pm

obinna wrote:
MaRcu5 wrote:Mayo shot 44% in college. He's not that great.

I love posts like this.
a) He was asked to carry the offensive load as a freshman
b) As the season progressed he got a lot better.
c) Just isolating his FG% doesn't prove anything.
d) Last time I checked defense mattered
e) Mike Miller has 2 more years left on his deal. if the T'Wolves are mediocre for the next 2 years I can't see him having an incentive to stay.

Thanks. I'm arguing with my friend over this subject and he insists Minnesota got the better end of the deal. I just needed a few more points to throw at him.
RapsBulls4evr
Lead Assistant
And1: 2

Post#139 » by RapsBulls4evr » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:40 pm

Not surprised... Mayo expressed his wishes, that he didn't want to play in Minny, wouldn't be surprised if he was traded again.
jefe
General Manager
And1: 646

Post#140 » by jefe » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:36 pm

Raps4evr wrote:Not surprised... Mayo expressed his wishes, that he didn't want to play in Minny, wouldn't be surprised if he was traded again.

He's said nothing but good stuff about being in Memphis thus far. He's said:
1. He likes Memphis, he won an AAU title here when he was 13 and looks forward to winning another title here
2. He's known Gay, Conley and Arthur since his AAU days and looks forward to playing with them in the NBA.
3. He wants to go out and get some BBQ.

Difficult to tell if any of its genuine, but he's certainly not pouting about were he landed.

Return to The General Board