BREAKING: OJ Mayo traded for Kevin Love

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,728

Re: BREAKING: OJ Mayo traded for Kevin Love 

Post#61 » by meatball sub » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:25 am

Much better deal than people are giving them credit for. They got Mike Miller AND Kevin Love for Mayo. Mayo isn't worth that at all IMO...
kdot99
Veteran
And1: 212

Post#62 » by kdot99 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:25 am

It's silly to compare Mayo to Love based on their college performances. Love is the type to dominate in the NCAA where OJ skills and attributes make him more valuable in the NBA. + The system he was in at USC was crap.
albert
Veteran
And1: 44

Post#63 » by albert » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:26 am

DelaneyRudd wrote:OJ May will be lumped in withthe likes of Jamal Crawford, Jalen Rose, and Larry Hughes in a few years. He will have a 14 year career as a journeyman starter.

Crawford has been on 2 teams.
DG4L
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#64 » by DG4L » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:26 am

I'm not going to get any sleep tonight. I'm still in disbelief over the trade. :(
LakerFanMan
Lead Assistant
And1: 16

Post#65 » by LakerFanMan » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:27 am

killbuckner wrote:ummm... if he played better than maybe he would have played more than 1 game.

I just think its funny when people are using the tournament to trash Love compared to Mayo when Love had a far better tournament than Mayo did.

Love had a much better team.
Don Draper
General Manager
And1: 506

Post#66 » by Don Draper » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:28 am

Lets look at weaknesses.

Kevin Love:
Nonathletic
Weak
Slow

OJ mayo:
Maybe cannot be a PG

OJ Mayo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Love
kdot99
Veteran
And1: 212

Post#67 » by kdot99 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:28 am

bove310 wrote:Much better deal than people are giving them credit for. They got Mike Miller AND Kevin Love for Mayo. Mayo isn't worth that at all IMO...

Yeah but who got the best player? If you think Miller is the best player, then okay, they got the best deal from your perspective. However, Mayo is viewed as a potential star in this league and warrants being mentioned as the best player in this deal despite not playing an NBA game.

As miller mentioned, Miller doesn't really benefit the team in the long run as he's here for only 2 years, and the Wolves will still be garbage in 2 years.
killbuckner
RealGM

Post#68 » by killbuckner » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:31 am

If OJ mayo didn't get held back in school he would have been even less impressive his freshman year.
CCBC
Freshman

Post#69 » by CCBC » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:31 am

killbuckner wrote:ummm... if he played better than maybe he would have played more than 1 game.

I just think its funny when people are using the tournament to trash Love compared to Mayo when Love had a far better tournament than Mayo did.

... maybe he's not the only guy on the team?
CCBC
Freshman

Post#70 » by CCBC » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:33 am

blind_ wrote:
DelaneyRudd wrote:OJ May will be lumped in withthe likes of Jamal Crawford, Jalen Rose, and Larry Hughes in a few years. He will have a 14 year career as a journeyman starter.

Crawford has been on 2 teams.

Jalen Rose didn't have a bad career either.
Don Draper
General Manager
And1: 506

Post#71 » by Don Draper » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:33 am

killbuckner wrote:If OJ mayo didn't get held back in school he would have been even less impressive his freshman year.

Expect he had the responsibility of carrying the offensive load of a power conference team, after they lost 2 of their 3 top players the previous year. This is as a freshman. While Kevin Love played on a stacked team.

Stop using what-ifs and stick to what actually happened.
killbuckner
RealGM

Post#72 » by killbuckner » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:36 am

Right- what actually happened was that Mayo on a 6 seed lost in the first round of the tournament... SO I just think its funny that anyone would try and use the tournament as evidence that mayo is better than Love.
And 1 Amare
Banned User

Post#73 » by And 1 Amare » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:38 am

WOW.

OJ Mayo and Al Jefferson would have been a NICE duo.
meatball sub
RealGM

Post#74 » by meatball sub » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:38 am

PapooseKN wrote:
bove310 wrote:Much better deal than people are giving them credit for. They got Mike Miller AND Kevin Love for Mayo. Mayo isn't worth that at all IMO...

Yeah but who got the best player? If you think Miller is the best player, then okay, they got the best deal from your perspective. However, Mayo is viewed as a potential star in this league and warrants being mentioned as the best player in this deal despite not playing an NBA game.

As miller mentioned, Miller doesn't really benefit the team in the long run as he's here for only 2 years, and the Wolves will still be garbage in 2 years.

I don't think Mayo is going to be a star and actually think he's going to be a letdown in a lot of people's eyes. He'll definitely be a good player, just not a superstar like most believe. I look at Love and he's one of those guys that just knows how to play the game. Him and Al will be lethal together, McHale was one of the best offensive big men in the history of the game. I think getting these two on the same team is a fantastic idea.

You give Foye and McCants another year to see what they're worth. If you aren't satisfied you most certainly will be in the lotto again next year and guards are the easiest position to fill. Again, I don't think Mayo is going to be an All Star so I have a different perspective than most.
asdfgh
Lead Assistant
And1: 755

Post#75 » by asdfgh » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:40 am

I posted the new Memphis depth chart and while they're very young, they don't look that bad. If they add a veteran PF in free agency they'll be ok:

Conley/ Lowry
Mayo/ Crittenton/ Buckner
Gay/ Jaric
Warrick/ Arthur/ Walker
Milicic/ Gasol

(I expect Walker to be waived unless they think he can help them).

The Wolves have Telfair and Snyder who are RFA and I expect them to keep them so with that in mind their DC is:

Foye/ Telfair (?RFA)
Snyder (?RFA)/ McCants
Miller/ Brewer
Love/ Gomes/ Smith/ Cardinal
Jefferson/ Collins/ Madsen/ Richard

They have a lof of forwards and I guess they're planning to turn Al J to a full time center (not sure if that's a good idea). They also need to decide what to do with their free agents. I don't feel too confident about their guards and I'm not sure the experiment upfront will work either, but we'll see.
boogydown
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#76 » by boogydown » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:40 am

Am I the only one who thinks Minnasota is going to get a ring next year!
A.J.
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#77 » by A.J. » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:40 am

DG4L wrote:I'm not going to get any sleep tonight. I'm still in disbelief over the trade. :(

You will get over it. How do you think I felt when we traded Rudy Gay for Battier? :(
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#78 » by Celtics_Champs » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:42 am

OJ MAYO wrote:Hey bill, I was just traded to the Memphis Grizzlies. :banghead:

Bill Walker wrote:Oh yeah? That sucks man, I was just traded to the boston celtics.

OJ MAYO wrote: [hangs up]
meatball sub
RealGM

Post#79 » by meatball sub » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:45 am

Celtics_Champs wrote:
OJ MAYO wrote:Hey bill, I was just traded to the Memphis Grizzlies. :banghead:

Bill Walker wrote:Oh yeah? That sucks man, I was just traded to the boston celtics.

OJ MAYO wrote: [hangs up]

:rofl:
DG4L
Freshman

Post#80 » by DG4L » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:47 am

A.J. wrote:
DG4L wrote:I'm not going to get any sleep tonight. I'm still in disbelief over the trade. :(

You will get over it. How do you think I felt when we traded Rudy Gay for Battier? :(

I don't know man. Portland is building themselves a future dynasty in the division while the Wolves just traded away their potential second star away for undersized Kevin Love. This is the kind of move that will set this franchise back several years, like the Roy deal did in 2006.

It's almost pointless with McHale in charge. It's only a matter of time before his next screw up and this mistake is just huge. :(

Return to The General Board