How Long Will A NBA Team Last In OKC?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

How Long Will A NBA Team Last In OKC?

One Year
2%
Two Years
No votes
Three Years
4%
Four Years
2%
Five Years
21%
Ten Years
10%
A Long Time
31%
Where is OKC?
29%

Total votes: 48

thegreatblaze
Banned User
And1: 2

Re: How Long Will A NBA Team Last In OKC? 

Post#21 » by thegreatblaze » Thu Jul 3, 2008 8:00 pm

Hopefully not long. I'm not even a Sonics fan and I'm bitter about what Bennett and Stern did to Seattle.
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#22 » by WEFFPIM » Thu Jul 3, 2008 8:06 pm

At least a decade, easily. Fan support is going to be great for at least the first season. The real test will be if this team struggles to contend (which they more than likely will at least for a year or two) how the fans come out.

Plus, if this turns into a failed experiment and the team struggles to succeed financially or in the standings, the NBA is going to be extremely reluctant to move them with all that went into getting them there.
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,767

Post#23 » by snaquille oatmeal » Thu Jul 3, 2008 8:37 pm

some quick numbers:

Seattle area population 3.2 mil- about 1.06 mil per professional sports franchise.

OKC/Tulsa area population combined 2.1 mil- 2.1 mil per professional sports franchise.

I don't know what that means but I guess it could be used to somewhat counter the "small market" argument.
Forum permissions
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot trade for basketball reasons in this forum
You cannot but I can...five rings!
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 9,340

Post#24 » by DelaneyRudd » Thu Jul 3, 2008 8:42 pm

It isn't hard to get people to come to games and corporations to plop down ad and box seat money in the one team towns. It will be just as successful as the other one team town teams.
farzi
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#25 » by farzi » Thu Jul 3, 2008 8:53 pm

snaquille oatmeal wrote:some quick numbers:

Seattle area population 3.2 mil- about 1.06 mil per professional sports franchise.

OKC/Tulsa area population combined 2.1 mil- 2.1 mil per professional sports franchise.

I don't know what that means but I guess it could be used to somewhat counter the "small market" argument.

Why would you divide by 3 for Seattle?

Baseball isn't a factor when the sonics are playing (especially this year...man the M's stink)
And Seahawks sold out their entire season in 30 or so minutes iirc, but they only overlap for about half the season.

the 1.06 to 2.1 numbers look like an invented statistic to make OKC look like a better destination
Thank you for all the memories BRoy. You were a class act and brought hope to an entire region for 5 years. You will be missed.
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#26 » by WEFFPIM » Thu Jul 3, 2008 8:54 pm

It's not like people choose one team and don't pay attention to the rest. You can make the argument that the Sonics were the first professional team in the city, and because of that, should have a larger contingent of fans than either the Mariners or the Seahawks. They also have a more storied history than the other two.

College sports are also much more prevalent in Oklahoma City with OK State and OU, than in Seattle. So, this population argument isn't a good one.
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#27 » by DelaneyRudd » Thu Jul 3, 2008 8:56 pm

It isn't like free agents were flocking to Seattle either. Free agency is about money, not who has the best Sushi and alt-weekly paper.
heatwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 13,158

Post#28 » by heatwillbeback » Thu Jul 3, 2008 8:59 pm

I think it will last a while

after a team moves, they usually have a long lease and what not that will keep them in town for a while.
Warspite
RealGM
And1: 1,099

Post#29 » by Warspite » Thu Jul 3, 2008 8:59 pm

OKC is one of the oil capitols of the world. Its a boom town with very inexpensive houseing and many new very good paying jobs being created every day. OKC is one of the few places left where a high school drop out can make as much money as an MD. The fact that the team can get TV deals in KC, StLouis, Little Rock and Witchita and fans can make that 1 game a yr pilgrimage from those citys makes it look pretty good. I can already see a Red River rivalry developing. The OKC team just needs to tap into that Big 12 basketball fan base.

I have been to OKC a few times and its a nice city with alot of potential. Very nice people who remind me of what America used to be.
HomoSapien wrote:Warspite, the greatest poster in the history of realgm.
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#30 » by greenbeans » Thu Jul 3, 2008 9:01 pm

DelaneyRudd wrote:Free agency is about money, not who has the best Sushi and alt-weekly paper.

WHOOOAAAA buddy, now your steppin on toes.

hipsters=free agency draw
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod

Post#31 » by DelaneyRudd » Thu Jul 3, 2008 9:03 pm

Warspite wrote:OKC is one of the oil capitols of the world. Its a boom town with very inexpensive houseing and many new very good paying jobs being created every day. OKC is one of the few places left where a high school drop out can make as much money as an MD. The fact that the team can get TV deals in KC, StLouis, Little Rock and Witchita and fans can make that 1 game a yr pilgrimage from those citys makes it look pretty good. I can already see a Red River rivalry developing. The OKC team just needs to tap into that Big 12 basketball fan base.

I have been to OKC a few times and its a nice city with alot of potential. Very nice people who remind me of what America used to be.

Regional out of state cities in the west aren't usually that big of deal for the NBA. It's more of an NFL thing. People won't drive hours for a NBA game on a weeknight, and TV deals are too small to make a dent in the revenue sharing model.
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,767

Post#32 » by snaquille oatmeal » Thu Jul 3, 2008 9:44 pm

farzi wrote:

Why would you divide by 3 for Seattle?

Baseball isn't a factor when the sonics are playing (especially this year...man the M's stink)
And Seahawks sold out their entire season in 30 or so minutes iirc, but they only overlap for about half the season.

the 1.06 to 2.1 numbers look like an invented statistic to make OKC look like a better destination
I guess you did not read the part where I said "I don't know what this means".

let's be clear about something, I am not saying that my argument is entirely correct or that it is the only argument there is. what I am saying is that it can be used to somewhat support the overall argument of the "small market" issue.

for example, the population was divided in their choice of support for their favorite professional team. they chose the Mariners and Seahawks over the Sonics.

on the basis that most people in Seattle decided to elect politicians that would rather support the Seahawks and the Mariners than their beloved Sonics while in OKC they would not have to make that choice because there is only one team there.

like I said I don't know what those numbers mean, they can be used in different ways or they can not be used at all.
Forum permissions