"Immediate Contender" vs "Team Growing Together"

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

The idea of an "Immediate Contender" vs the idea of a "Team Growing Together"

Immediate Contender
60%
Team Growing Together
40%

Total votes: 35

sabi
Lead Assistant
And1: 27

Re: "Immediate Contender" vs "Team Growing Together" 

Post#16 » by sabi » Mon Jul 7, 2008 11:11 pm

Im not saying his entire argument is wrong just that that part doesn't help it
pillwenney
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,498

Post#17 » by pillwenney » Mon Jul 7, 2008 11:45 pm

The only teams that really won after "growing together" were teams that happened to be able to "grow together" with either Duncan or Shaq.
microfib4thewin
Head Coach
And1: 454

Post#18 » by microfib4thewin » Tue Jul 8, 2008 12:36 am

It doesn't matter how they win. As long as they do it by legitimate means then nothing else is important as long as they win a title. If you are a GM, would you try to do it the hard way by getting scrubs and hope they can develop into a good team, or will you try to obtain the best trading assets for a superstar? You can't do everything via draft alone because it's very difficult to find the right players, Memphis and Clippers are great examples of that, once you try to do everything via the lottery, you stay in the lottery.

What Boston pull off is pretty much unimaginable. If someone told me from four years ago that Boston added 11 new players to win a title I wouldn't have believed him. Teams more or less have to go through growing pains for several years before they pull off a big move to put themselves as a contender.
dingclancy
Analyst
And1: 90

Post#19 » by dingclancy » Tue Jul 8, 2008 1:06 am

Well the Celtics enjoyed 20 years of utter mediocrity to get to that point of getting 11 new players, so we know where their sentiments are.

Shaq and Kobe came together in 96 and they won in 2000. I think they did a lot of "growing together" for four years. Maybe if Bynum was not injured the Lakers will be contenders nonetheless.
realball
Head Coach
And1: 3,183

Post#20 » by realball » Tue Jul 8, 2008 1:13 am

It's obviously a combination. The Celtics went all out and traded for stars. The Pistons traded away pieces like Hill, Stackhouse, and used expirings and cap space to get Billups, Hamilton, and the Wallaces, while drafting Prince. The Lakers drafted Kobe and used cap space to get Shaq (same for Gasol). The Bulls drafted Jordan, Pippen, Grant, Armstrong, basically their whole core during their first three-peat. Same with the Spurs.

There is no formula for championships. You just have to acquire the best talent (draft, signings, or trades), get complimentary role-players, and a coach who can preach defense and create chemistry.
Ortho Stice
Veteran
And1: 76

Post#21 » by Ortho Stice » Tue Jul 8, 2008 2:01 am

Unless you're pretty sure you're going to get a great player, draft picks are more valuable as trade assets, paired along with expiring deals or other players to get a proven, veteran player. The Celtics could have had a great young team with a lot of cap space if they kept their young players and draft picks and let Ratliff's contract expire. But they traded all those assets, as we all know, for Garnett and Allen, and with their remaining money, signed inexpensive veterans. Young teams with potential are exciting for fans because they offer hope, yet it's proven that veterans win the championships. And due to the nature of the game now, players don't stay with their teams for a long time, so if you want a team full of veterans, you'll surely have to sign or trade for the majority of them. There probably will be some young players you drafted who'll have important roles, and your best player may even be a player you drafted, but championship teams consist mainly of veterans, and these veterans are mainly attained via trades of free agency.
thegreatblaze
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#22 » by thegreatblaze » Tue Jul 8, 2008 2:08 am

I personally prefer watching a young team grow together, because the satisfaction you get if/when you finally hoist that trophy is that much more satisfying, IMO.
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#23 » by I_Like_Dirt » Tue Jul 8, 2008 2:18 am

sabi wrote:trading for kobe on his draft = drafting him. He's still on your team since he was a rookie and that's all that counts.

Why on earth would trading for a player on draft night be the same as drafting him if the team involved didn't have to go through all the losing in order to "earn" the pick to actually get the player? And in Kobe's case, his declaration that he would only play for the Lakers makes things trickier, still. If a team trades down to get a particular player then I suppose things are a little different but in terms of trading for star players to continue improving the team I don't think it matters how old they are, just that winning teams usually have a combination of several top NBA talents so the more a team can add on in that regard the better off they will be. Stupid teams are the ones who trade quality picks for non-top-quality talents or who trade star players for picks and young players who never amount to anything close to what those star players still have left in the tank.
Bucket! Bucket!
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#24 » by I_Like_Dirt » Tue Jul 8, 2008 2:20 am

OdenRoyLMA2 wrote:I personally prefer watching a young team grow together, because the satisfaction you get if/when you finally hoist that trophy is that much more satisfying, IMO.

Which example of a championship for your favourite team did you find more satisfying because they grew together and which example did you find less satisfying because they didn't?
Bucket! Bucket!
HarlemHeat37
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#25 » by HarlemHeat37 » Tue Jul 8, 2008 2:23 am

for fans, it doesn't make a difference IMO..winning a title is great in every way, even if your owner bought it in 2002..

for a team, it's different though..I think you would definitely feel a lot better winning a title if you did it with the teammates that you grew with and that you experienced your toughest losses with..
thegreatblaze
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#26 » by thegreatblaze » Tue Jul 8, 2008 2:42 am

I_Like_Dirt wrote:
OdenRoyLMA2 wrote:I personally prefer watching a young team grow together, because the satisfaction you get if/when you finally hoist that trophy is that much more satisfying, IMO.

Which example of a championship for your favourite team did you find more satisfying because they grew together and which example did you find less satisfying because they didn't?

No example, but I can base it off other aspcets of my life. Such as working hard to get something, rather than having it handed to you. It feels more rewarding.
snaquille oatmeal
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,763

Post#27 » by snaquille oatmeal » Tue Jul 8, 2008 3:11 am

sabi wrote:trading for kobe on his draft = drafting him. He's still on your team since he was a rookie and that's all that counts.
I wouldn't say that since the Lakers lost a prime Divac in the process of getting Bryant.
Forum permissions