Elton Brand Agrees To Terms W/Philadephia

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

EdMar_Davis
Banned User
And1: 3

Re: Elton Brand Agrees To Terms W/Philadephia 

Post#101 » by EdMar_Davis » Wed Jul 9, 2008 5:15 am

LMAO at the sixer homer(Bucky). dude you need to relax because Tor,Cle,Orl,Det and mabey even Wash are all the better teams then Phily. Brand missed the whole last year and there is no reason to think he wont be missing more game again.

I hope this doesnt go throuh, because the Clips fans deserve betterand that team with Baron and him would look good.
GuyverX
Head Coach
And1: 4,220

Post#102 » by GuyverX » Wed Jul 9, 2008 5:19 am

GameTime_3 wrote:Wow great deal for Philly but Andre miller is a horrible PG for Brand. They will have one of the best defensive front lines in the nba.

Apparently Brand didn't learn his lesson the first time around. He'll remember really fast when guys are doubling him in the lane and he'll have to rely on Miller to make jump shots.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,908

Post#103 » by Stanford » Wed Jul 9, 2008 5:31 am

It's funny, when we were starting Reggie Evans we were this boards favorite team...
NetsForce
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#104 » by NetsForce » Wed Jul 9, 2008 6:23 am

I might consider going to a Sixers game now, a lot of whether or not I do that though depends on whether Iguodala stops being a wuss all the time. I've got a lot of respect for Thaddeus Young, but Iguodala has way too many brain farts...
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#105 » by tk76 » Wed Jul 9, 2008 6:24 am

The 2nd half of last season the Sixers were arguably the 4th best team in the East (they probably had the 3rd best record.) The Sixers should be good next year- probably a 4th seed with the 3rd or 4th best record, but not contenders in Boston's league. They should go to the second round or maybe ECF if they are lucky.

Spacing/shooting is a huge issue, but on the flip side the Sixers have great athletes, defense, high motor/effort, passing and likely chemistry- so I doubt they are lower than a 5 seed.

The big question that really close Sixer watchers are asking is what will Thad Young become in 2-3 years. If he becomes a legit #2 weapon at SF who can score 20+ ppg at a high % with a good all around game then the Sixers will contend. Brand can be a #1 and Iguodala could be a great #3 option (not to mention Sam and Lou Williams as role players.) People haven't seen all that much of Thad, but his development will determine whether the team is a good team or a potential real contender.

Hollinger:
The Sixers also used Thaddeus Young, a teenaged rookie who is going to be unbelievably good but was undersized for the 4 spot at 6-foot-8, 220 pounds... Consider that Young boated a 16.58 PER as a 19-year-old rookie last season even while playing half his minutes out of position

The Sixers just became relevant by adding Brand, but their future as much depends on the development of their youth- especially the 2nd youngest player in the NBA last year, who is probably still a year or two away from being the third impact player the Sixers will need to really have a shot at contending.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,526

Post#106 » by youngcrev » Wed Jul 9, 2008 6:49 am

Kurd_CB4 wrote:LMAO at the sixer homer(Bucky). dude you need to relax because Tor,Cle,Orl,Det and mabey even Wash are all the better teams then Phily. Brand missed the whole last year and there is no reason to think he wont be missing more game again.

I hope this doesnt go throuh, because the Clips fans deserve betterand that team with Baron and him would look good.

How dare Sixers fans be excited about signing one of the best power forwards in the league!

I think you're just mad about having the 3rd best team/power forward in the Atlantic division now.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,097

Post#107 » by BDM22 » Wed Jul 9, 2008 6:57 am

Stanford wrote:It's funny, when we were beating the Pistons we were this boards favorite team...

Fixed... The honeymoon ended right about the same time the Pistons woke up.

As for Philly with Brand... They will be pretty good. I would say they'll challenge the top teams in the East, but they desperately need a legit shooter or two that sees a lot of floor time. Without more moves, this in no way makes them instantly the "number 2 team in the east". Miller, Iggy, Thad, Brand, etc are all mid range guys. No one that can knock it down consistently from 20-25. They had a good run last year, but realistically won a whopping 2 playoff games as Detroit awoke from their regular season slumber.

I will enjoy another good team in the east though.
Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 541

Post#108 » by Buck You » Wed Jul 9, 2008 7:11 am

Great signing by the Sixers. Only if they had a sg they would go deep in the playoffs.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,269

Post#109 » by amcoolio » Wed Jul 9, 2008 7:15 am

Is it just me or does anyone think that this signing doesn't improve Philly as much as Thaddeus' development would. Brand had a great year 2 seasons ago but its not like Philly got a superstar, plus they have a lot of oft-injured players on their roster.

Also, Okafor is not a PF. He is a C, and will always be a C. Asking Okafor to play PF is like asking Ben Wallace in his prime to play PF. Playing Okafor and Kaman together would be awful unless Kaman likes to come out to the 3 pt line to guard opposing pf's and unclog the lane for Okafor. So I don't know why LAC would go after Okafor. Smith is the better option.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,766

Post#110 » by dockingsched » Wed Jul 9, 2008 7:21 am

brand has been a 20/10 player his entire career. you know how many active players are 20/10 for their career?
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
HarlemHeat37
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#111 » by HarlemHeat37 » Wed Jul 9, 2008 7:27 am

not to mention solid defensively too..
MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Post#112 » by MagicFan32 » Wed Jul 9, 2008 7:37 am

Brand is a first rate douche in my book.

The clips go out and get him the help he wants, he and his agent make it sound like they are being generous by opting out..then he bolts for a little bit extra money.

This is what's wrong with the NBA, a persons word is nothing, when you tell someone you are going to do something you do it, REGARDLESS of unforseen circumstances.

The sixers got themselves a good player, but one whos' character is questionable in my book now.
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
tkb
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 198

Post#113 » by tkb » Wed Jul 9, 2008 7:38 am

Great addition for the Sixers. They have a nice core now.
tkb
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 198

Post#114 » by tkb » Wed Jul 9, 2008 7:39 am

amcoolio wrote:Is it just me or does anyone think that this signing doesn't improve Philly as much as Thaddeus' development would. Brand had a great year 2 seasons ago but its not like Philly got a superstar, plus they have a lot of oft-injured players on their roster.

Also, Okafor is not a PF. He is a C, and will always be a C. Asking Okafor to play PF is like asking Ben Wallace in his prime to play PF. Playing Okafor and Kaman together would be awful unless Kaman likes to come out to the 3 pt line to guard opposing pf's and unclog the lane for Okafor. So I don't know why LAC would go after Okafor. Smith is the better option.

Philly did get a top 15 player when healthy tho.
KB20
Head Coach
And1: 4

Post#115 » by KB20 » Wed Jul 9, 2008 7:44 am

Elton Brand is out of the pacific division! :rockon:

This is great for Philly. (and the Lakers) If they can resign Andre and Louis then they're set to make some noise next season.

5) Samuel Dalembert/Jason Smith/
4) Elton Brand/Reggie Evans/
3) Thaddeus Young/
2) Andre Iguodala/Willie Green/
1) Andre Miller/Louis Williams/
GuyverX
Head Coach
And1: 4,220

Post#116 » by GuyverX » Wed Jul 9, 2008 7:51 am

MagicFan32 wrote:Brand is a first rate douche in my book.

The clips go out and get him the help he wants, he and his agent make it sound like they are being generous by opting out..then he bolts for a little bit extra money.

This is what's wrong with the NBA, a persons word is nothing, when you tell someone you are going to do something you do it, REGARDLESS of unforseen circumstances.

The sixers got themselves a good player, but one whos' character is questionable in my book now.

I'm glad fans of other teams are feeling the same way about this guy. He should've just saved all his talk about emulating the Celtics and winning championships. At least he would've had some dignity going into Philly.
andykeikei
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#117 » by andykeikei » Wed Jul 9, 2008 8:38 am

MagicFan32 wrote:Brand is a first rate douche in my book.

I agree.
shawngoat23 wrote:I would say Walton's impact is Russell-esque, but he's really just a classical human being who defies comparison to anyone in the history of Western civilization.
Iggyemu
RealGM
And1: 0

Post#118 » by Iggyemu » Wed Jul 9, 2008 9:17 am

Good stuff here. As a fan of a Western conference team not having to worry about another potentially strong team, which the Clips would have been with Brand....is a good thing. Maggette also opting not to sign with SA ensures they will remain essentially the same team of just 3 players.

As for Brand though...a great signing by the Sixers. Look in this league if you have a point guard...a perimeter scorer....and a post player you are gonna succeed. When that post player and perimeter player are also good defenders you are gonna find yourself winning quite a bit. The Sixers will be extremely good next year. Awesome job of putting a great thing together just a few years after trading AI. They took a risk but if it pays off it will be well worth it b/c they could potentially make the conference finals and have a legit chance to win it.
"One Ring makes a Champion......Six Rings make a Legend" - Michael Jeffrey Jordan
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,489

Post#119 » by Ballings7 » Wed Jul 9, 2008 9:24 am

GuyverX wrote:I don't think the Brand/Miller combo is going to work out to well. I've seen it before for a whole season. Of course, Brand's game was still a bit raw compared to now but the Sixers would really have to surround these two with good long range shooters. I don't know if Iguodala has improved his 3-pt shot since I saw him last but that's probably not enough. Korver would've fit in well if they still had him. They'll make the playoffs in the east of course because of the lesser competition.

I agree, but I wasn't really talking about the offense before there...

But yeah, obviously they have to get more shooters, and one must be at SG in the starting line-up.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Post#120 » by MagicFan32 » Wed Jul 9, 2008 9:58 am

Iggyemu wrote:Good stuff here. As a fan of a Western conference team not having to worry about another potentially strong team, which the Clips would have been with Brand....is a good thing. Maggette also opting not to sign with SA ensures they will remain essentially the same team of just 3 players.

As for Brand though...a great signing by the Sixers. Look in this league if you have a point guard...a perimeter scorer....and a post player you are gonna succeed. When that post player and perimeter player are also good defenders you are gonna find yourself winning quite a bit. The Sixers will be extremely good next year. Awesome job of putting a great thing together just a few years after trading AI. They took a risk but if it pays off it will be well worth it b/c they could potentially make the conference finals and have a legit chance to win it.

the problem the sixers have is their stars are all of the 2nd or 3rd tier variety.

Brand is a tier below the elite bigs.
Iggy is a tier or two below the elite swingmen
Miller is a tier or two below the elite PG's.

They will be better, but Brand still has to prove he can be a top flight PF after that achilles injury.

I thought Baron signed with the clips to play with Brand..I wonder what he's thinking right now.

Sixers should be good but I don't know if they will be great.

I mean if Brand went to a title contender it would justify his words but right now he just looks like a typical athlete.
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.

Return to The General Board