Elton Brand Agrees To Terms W/Philadephia

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

TheAnswerAI
Rookie
And1: 0

Re: Elton Brand Agrees To Terms W/Philadephia 

Post#121 » by TheAnswerAI » Wed Jul 9, 2008 10:17 am

Why is a 20/10 and 2,5 Blocks per game player a tier below the elite bigs? Not to mention his great defense.

And Iguodala is 24 just wait and see... He got better every year so far.

And then there is Thad Young who will be (yes will be) one of the best SFs in league in 2-3 years. I expect him to take a huge step just like Gay took last year.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,279

Post#122 » by celticfan42487 » Wed Jul 9, 2008 2:22 pm

Brand is in the same tier with Dirk,KG,Duncan. Less respected and maybe slightly worse then Duncan but in that tier.

Brand has no injury concerns.

Andre Iggy is not a perimeter attack wing but should be considered all-star worthy.

Thad Young was good in the post but isn't proven at the wing yet, especially with a team that needs 3 point range.

And Louis Williams is being forgoten but will be an extremely valuable explosive piece off the bench for this team.
triplet1984
General Manager
And1: 177

Post#123 » by triplet1984 » Wed Jul 9, 2008 2:47 pm

I think its pretty clear what happened here, Elton felt pissed off at the Clippers' take it or leave it initial offer, felt like he was taken advantage of for being a nice guy and expected to take a lowball offer... then when he got the Philly offer, was upset the Clippers didn't immediately up their offer to match it. So at the end of the day, when the Clippers did come close to matching the Philly offer, he was turned off to them.

I know how that goes, I've been in the same situation. At some point, you just get a negative feeling that you have to jump through so many hoops to get the good offer that you don't even care anymore.
Ancalagon
Pro Prospect
And1: 342

Post#124 » by Ancalagon » Wed Jul 9, 2008 2:52 pm

MagicFan32 wrote:Brand is a first rate douche in my book.

The clips go out and get him the help he wants, he and his agent make it sound like they are being generous by opting out..then he bolts for a little bit extra money.

This is what's wrong with the NBA, a persons word is nothing, when you tell someone you are going to do something you do it, REGARDLESS of unforseen circumstances.

The sixers got themselves a good player, but one whos' character is questionable in my book now.

What had come to hurt the Clippers’ chances of retaining Brand has been the organization’s refusal to offer anything but a “take-it-or-leave-it” deal since Golden State made its $90-plus million offer. People close to Brand say that “it pissed him off,” and made him question his original desire to stay a Clipper.

This is a devastating blow to the Clippers, who had believed Brand when he said he would stay for less money should they bring a talented teammate to join him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns

Change your mind at all?
triplet1984
General Manager
And1: 177

Post#125 » by triplet1984 » Wed Jul 9, 2008 2:55 pm

Clippers should have upped their offer to ABOVE the Golden State offer the moment GSW made their offer.

THAT'S how you make someone feel wanted.
lbcbcp
Freshman
And1: 3

Post#126 » by lbcbcp » Wed Jul 9, 2008 3:07 pm

I feel for the Clippers. Seems like they are going to suffer another decade long of losing record.
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#127 » by 5DOM » Wed Jul 9, 2008 3:20 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:Brand is in the same tier with Dirk,KG,Duncan. Less respected and maybe slightly worse then Duncan but in that tier

Those three guys at least went to the playoffs many times, and all 3 of them won MVP.

I don't know how Brand who has been a loser in all but one season is in the same tier with those 3.

I like the signing for Philly and think Brands a very good player, but I wouldnt put him in the same class as those 3, especially with Duncan and Garnett who play fantastic defence.
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#128 » by 5DOM » Wed Jul 9, 2008 3:23 pm

Da-Met wrote:Clippers should have upped their offer to ABOVE the Golden State offer the moment GSW made their offer.

THAT'S how you make someone feel wanted.

Clippers got him the help that he so wanted in Baron Davis.
I would be really surprised and disappointed in Brand if the reason he left LA is because he didnt feel wanted.

The real problem was that the Sixers wanted him more.
Apollo64
Starter
And1: 724

Post#129 » by Apollo64 » Wed Jul 9, 2008 3:31 pm

Wait a minute, can Davis now back from his verbal agreement with the Clippers? I thought his 13 mil a year deal was supposed to be that low so the Clippers could accomodate Brand too, but since Brand doesn't want to get involved in this, shouldn't Baron at least demand more money? Or should he go on with the current deal and wait for next year when the Clippers will still have any room to sign a 10+ mil player? Funny thing is that Clippers could have still signed Maggette after all.
enigmatics
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,309

Post#130 » by enigmatics » Wed Jul 9, 2008 3:45 pm

To anyone claiming that a reason for Brand go to the eastern conference is because it's easier is trippin' ......... Boston, Detroit, Cleveland, Philly, Toronto, Orlando, Washington.....I mean c'mon, let's stop talking like it's a cake walk. Things have obviously changed. Depending on what Miami does this rest of this FA period, they could instantly vault into that group as well.
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,466

Post#131 » by Blame Rasho » Wed Jul 9, 2008 3:57 pm

enigmatics wrote:To anyone claiming that a reason for Brand go to the eastern conference is because it's easier is trippin' ......... Boston, Detroit, Cleveland, Philly, Toronto, Orlando, Washington.....I mean c'mon, let's stop talking like it's a cake walk. Things have obviously changed. Depending on what Miami does this rest of this FA period, they could instantly vault into that group as well.

Would you as a Suns fan rather face them( the eastern teams) or the western teams in the playoffs?*
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,072

Post#132 » by GeorgeMarcus » Wed Jul 9, 2008 3:58 pm

Let's not forget big Sammy D.
I mean he has never really played aside a legitimate big man and i think this will definitely allow him some space of his own to play to his full potential.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
enigmatics
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,309

Post#133 » by enigmatics » Wed Jul 9, 2008 4:00 pm

Blame Rasho wrote:
enigmatics wrote:To anyone claiming that a reason for Brand go to the eastern conference is because it's easier is trippin' ......... Boston, Detroit, Cleveland, Philly, Toronto, Orlando, Washington.....I mean c'mon, let's stop talking like it's a cake walk. Things have obviously changed. Depending on what Miami does this rest of this FA period, they could instantly vault into that group as well.

How would you as a Suns fan rather face them( the eastern teams) or the western teams in the playoffs?

After what I saw out of the Western Conference playoffs this past year, I think the gap has narrowed considerably.
rsavaj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,767

Post#134 » by rsavaj » Wed Jul 9, 2008 4:32 pm

enigmatics wrote:
Blame Rasho wrote:

How would you as a Suns fan rather face them( the eastern teams) or the western teams in the playoffs?

After what I saw out of the Western Conference playoffs this past year, I think the gap has narrowed considerably.

Really? I'd much rather the Suns run into ORL/TOR/ATL/PHI/CLE in the first round than effing San Antonio or LA.
TheKingOfVa360
General Manager
And1: 1,663

Post#135 » by TheKingOfVa360 » Wed Jul 9, 2008 5:25 pm

Wow Brand screwed the Clippers. Good signing for the 76ers but Brand has only went to the playoffs once in his whole career. He is undersized, injury concerns, and may lack leadership skills but he is an all-star big man that might have another break out year. I still rank my Magic and Wizards ahead of him and also the Celtics and Pistons.
MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Post#136 » by MagicFan32 » Wed Jul 9, 2008 6:39 pm

TheAnswerAI wrote:Why is a 20/10 and 2,5 Blocks per game player a tier below the elite bigs? Not to mention his great defense.

And Iguodala is 24 just wait and see... He got better every year so far.

And then there is Thad Young who will be (yes will be) one of the best SFs in league in 2-3 years. I expect him to take a huge step just like Gay took last year.

Last year after his injury he was a 17/8 player

Brand does not impact the game at both ends, sure he'll get some blocks but he's undersized and can't stop bigger or faster 4's.

Iguodala is a good player, the type every team needs but he is a bad jump shooter IMO.

Brand is a tier below the Howards/Garnetts in his conference, sorry but that's just the truth.
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,451

Post#137 » by eyeatoma » Wed Jul 9, 2008 6:41 pm

TheKingOfVa360 wrote:I still rank my Magic and Wizards ahead of him and also the Celtics and Pistons.

This coming from a guy who has Kobe and Beasley as his sig and Avatat? LOL I'm confused...
MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Post#138 » by MagicFan32 » Wed Jul 9, 2008 6:42 pm

Ancalagon wrote:
MagicFan32 wrote:Brand is a first rate douche in my book.

The clips go out and get him the help he wants, he and his agent make it sound like they are being generous by opting out..then he bolts for a little bit extra money.

This is what's wrong with the NBA, a persons word is nothing, when you tell someone you are going to do something you do it, REGARDLESS of unforseen circumstances.

The sixers got themselves a good player, but one whos' character is questionable in my book now.

What had come to hurt the Clippers’ chances of retaining Brand has been the organization’s refusal to offer anything but a “take-it-or-leave-it” deal since Golden State made its $90-plus million offer. People close to Brand say that “it pissed him off,” and made him question his original desire to stay a Clipper.

This is a devastating blow to the Clippers, who had believed Brand when he said he would stay for less money should they bring a talented teammate to join him.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns

Change your mind at all?
Not really.
He backed out on his word, if he gets 'pissed off' at 75 million dollars, he's a douche he should've known the deal after they signed Baron.
loflin3hree5ive
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 65

Post#139 » by loflin3hree5ive » Wed Jul 9, 2008 6:50 pm

MagicFan32 wrote:Not really.
He backed out on his word, if he gets 'pissed off' at 75 million dollars, he's a douche he should've known the deal after they signed Baron.

Thank you.
Teen Girl Squad
Head Coach
And1: 3,007

Post#140 » by Teen Girl Squad » Wed Jul 9, 2008 7:57 pm

Rumor has it that the Clippers were willing to pay up to 5/89 but the agent didn't let Brand know about it.

Return to The General Board