Elton Brand Agrees To Terms W/Philadephia

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

loflin3hree5ive
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 65

Re: Elton Brand Agrees To Terms W/Philadephia 

Post#141 » by loflin3hree5ive » Wed Jul 9, 2008 8:04 pm

That would be a shame.
kingofthecourt67
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,549

Post#142 » by kingofthecourt67 » Wed Jul 9, 2008 8:29 pm

MagicFan32 wrote:
TheAnswerAI wrote:Why is a 20/10 and 2,5 Blocks per game player a tier below the elite bigs? Not to mention his great defense.

And Iguodala is 24 just wait and see... He got better every year so far.

And then there is Thad Young who will be (yes will be) one of the best SFs in league in 2-3 years. I expect him to take a huge step just like Gay took last year.

Last year after his injury he was a 17/8 player

Brand does not impact the game at both ends, sure he'll get some blocks but he's undersized and can't stop bigger or faster 4's.

Iguodala is a good player, the type every team needs but he is a bad jump shooter IMO.

Brand is a tier below the Howards/Garnetts in his conference, sorry but that's just the truth.

After an injury, it's not exactly easy to return to past form. It takes more than 8 games to return to game speed. And 17/8 is still good regardless of coming off an injury or not.
NYKnick87
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#143 » by NYKnick87 » Wed Jul 9, 2008 9:44 pm

MagicFan32 wrote:
Iggyemu wrote:Good stuff here. As a fan of a Western conference team not having to worry about another potentially strong team, which the Clips would have been with Brand....is a good thing. Maggette also opting not to sign with SA ensures they will remain essentially the same team of just 3 players.

As for Brand though...a great signing by the Sixers. Look in this league if you have a point guard...a perimeter scorer....and a post player you are gonna succeed. When that post player and perimeter player are also good defenders you are gonna find yourself winning quite a bit. The Sixers will be extremely good next year. Awesome job of putting a great thing together just a few years after trading AI. They took a risk but if it pays off it will be well worth it b/c they could potentially make the conference finals and have a legit chance to win it.

the problem the sixers have is their stars are all of the 2nd or 3rd tier variety.

Brand is a tier below the elite bigs.
Iggy is a tier or two below the elite swingmen
Miller is a tier or two below the elite PG's.

They will be better, but Brand still has to prove he can be a top flight PF after that achilles injury.

I thought Baron signed with the clips to play with Brand..I wonder what he's thinking right now.

Sixers should be good but I don't know if they will be great.

I mean if Brand went to a title contender it would justify his words but right now he just looks like a typical athlete.

You're forgetting that this is a team game and that the Sixers possess an elite post presence, an all around perimeter player, and one of the best pgs in the game. Put those three on the same team and good things will happen. Not to mention that they have Dalembert at center, who is another double double guy. How many teams in the EC feature such a lineup? The only comparable ones are the Celtics and maybe the Magic. If Thaddeus Young keeps on developing and they find a shooter, this team will be extremely dangerous.
magicfan4life05
RealGM
And1: 198

Post#144 » by magicfan4life05 » Wed Jul 9, 2008 10:06 pm

ESPN is going to interview Brand

He will be on sportscenter to talk about what happened.

I'll only accept his apology to the clippers nation if he cries!
Dwight Howard on his FT struggles:

"I just think everybody needs to stop talking about it," Howard said. "There's more to life than free throws."
76erinSJ
Senior
And1: 0

Post#145 » by 76erinSJ » Wed Jul 9, 2008 11:28 pm

Brand knew what he had to do. If he didn't leave the Clippers he would never make it to the playoffs again. You could put Duncan, Garnett, Lebron, Kobe and CP3 on the Clippers and they would still find a way to lose.

And anyone who said Brand and Miller will be a bad combo is crazy. Brand made the all star team that year.

Plus the person who said we are a 35 win team this year must not watch basketball. We won 41 last year after only playing for real haf the season. We will win between 48 and 56 games next year as long as everyone is healthy and will be a top 5 defensive team and at least top 4 in the East.
Andre Miller is a bad 3pt shooter.
GuyverX
Head Coach
And1: 4,187

Post#146 » by GuyverX » Wed Jul 9, 2008 11:40 pm

76erinSJ wrote:And anyone who said Brand and Miller will be a bad combo is crazy. Brand made the all star team that year. .

Wrong. You don't know what you're talking about. Brand made the all-star game when David Stern appointed him as the replacement for Shaq during the 2001-2002 season. Miller didn't join the team until 2002-2003. He didn't play any better because of Andre Miller. The Clippers won 27 games that year...so I wouldn't call the Brand/Miller combo a resounding success. Miller doesn't shoot well enough to complement Brand.
76erinSJ
Senior

Post#147 » by 76erinSJ » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:07 am

Sorry I was wrong. But you are wrong about Miller being a bad shooter. That year in Clipper land he shot 40% For his career he is a 45-46 %. This past year he was 49.2%. Almost 50%. He is a bad 3 point shooter. Can anyone blame Miller for having a bad shooting season in Clipper land lol. Every player on that team shot horribly that year cep for Brand Wilcox Ely and Parks who are all PF and should be around 50% or higher.

Dooling 39%
Jaric 40%
Piatkowski 47%
Richardson 37%
Maggette 44%
Odom 44%
Rooks 42%
Wang 38%

So before you tell me Miller is a bad shooter that team just sucked as a whole. Dont try to blame it on Miller.
GuyverX
Head Coach

Post#148 » by GuyverX » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:38 am

76erinSJ wrote:Sorry I was wrong. But you are wrong about Miller being a bad shooter. That year in Clipper land he shot 40% For his career he is a 45-46 %. This past year he was 49.2%. Almost 50%. He is a bad 3 point shooter. Can anyone blame Miller for having a bad shooting season in Clipper land lol. Every player on that team shot horribly that year cep for Brand Wilcox Ely and Parks who are all PF and should be around 50% or higher.

Dooling 39%
Jaric 40%
Piatkowski 47%
Richardson 37%
Maggette 44%
Odom 44%
Rooks 42%
Wang 38%

So before you tell me Miller is a bad shooter that team just sucked as a whole. Dont try to blame it on Miller.

Never did I blame it on all on Miller. That team just had no chemistry whatsoever. That doesn't change the fact Miller doesn't give Brand very good spacing down low because he's not a good long range, spot up shooter. If the Sixers are succesful next season, it won't be because Brand/Miller is such a great pairing but because other players are making up for it.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,211

Post#149 » by og15 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:02 am

Wow, Brand, why? This can't be true. Brand doesn't even like Andre Miller. I remember when Dre was on the Clippers in 02-03, and all the players including Brand wanted Odom playing PG as opposed to Dre Miller because they weren't very pleased with him.

Definately some interesting stuff.
loflin3hree5ive
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 65

Post#150 » by loflin3hree5ive » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:21 am

Philly is gonna have to get some shooters out there or they will be no different than the Clippers when we had Puppet. Philly wins at least 45 games anyway next year if they stay healthy.
76erinSJ
Senior

Post#151 » by 76erinSJ » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:52 am

Brand chose us in part to Miller recruiting him and Brand saying that he likes Miller.
GuyverX
Head Coach

Post#152 » by GuyverX » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:55 am

76erinSJ wrote:Brand chose us in part to Miller recruiting him and Brand saying that he likes Miller.

LMAO @ Andre Miller having enough impact to recruit anybody.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,211

Post#153 » by og15 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:21 am

76erinSJ wrote:Brand chose us in part to Miller recruiting him and Brand saying that he likes Miller.
I highly doubt that is actually a true report, because like already mentioned, since when does Andre Miller have any recruiting power. And even if he did, Dre Miller is not the kind of PG that compliments Brand that well because he is a poor outside shooter, and won't make guys pay for doubling Brand, so what exactly was he using to recruit Brand, the fact that he is a cool guy? As shot jackish as Baron is, he is a far superior outside shooter to Andre Miller.

Lastly, like I mentioned already, when Odom was healthy, Brand and other teammates wanted Odom a SF playing PG in 2002-2003 as opposed to Andre Miller. I'm just reporting what happened. Anyways, Philly might actually be better off looking for a SG that can hit three' and defend a little, starting Iguodala at SF, and bringing Thad off the bench. Or they could just hope Thad and Iguodala improve their outside shooting. While they were the worst outside shooting team, they did trade Korver and let go of Giricek last season, so not sure what their exact plan of improving in that area was.
Entengtot
Assistant Coach
And1: 212

Post#154 » by Entengtot » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:35 am

if they need shooters i think jj redick can come cheap.
enigmatics
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,260

Post#155 » by enigmatics » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:08 am

I'm sorry, I still don't buy this bullshat talk that the Clippers issued a take it or leave it stance with Brand, especially not in the context of being cheap. You mean to tell me that a team that doled out $20 million for Mike Dunleavy, is building a $25 million practice facility, and wrassled in an aging Baron Davis for 5 years $65 million at Elton's behest is going to stick it to Brand? Makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Post#156 » by MagicFan32 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:58 am

kingofthecourt67 wrote:
MagicFan32 wrote:
TheAnswerAI wrote:Why is a 20/10 and 2,5 Blocks per game player a tier below the elite bigs? Not to mention his great defense.

And Iguodala is 24 just wait and see... He got better every year so far.

And then there is Thad Young who will be (yes will be) one of the best SFs in league in 2-3 years. I expect him to take a huge step just like Gay took last year.

Last year after his injury he was a 17/8 player

Brand does not impact the game at both ends, sure he'll get some blocks but he's undersized and can't stop bigger or faster 4's.

Iguodala is a good player, the type every team needs but he is a bad jump shooter IMO.

Brand is a tier below the Howards/Garnetts in his conference, sorry but that's just the truth.

After an injury, it's not exactly easy to return to past form. It takes more than 8 games to return to game speed. And 17/8 is still good regardless of coming off an injury or not.

I understand that, but with an injury like that this is an extremely risky move. Brand is a solid fundamental guy so he should still be able to contribute even if he loses a step though.
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Post#157 » by MagicFan32 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:00 am

magicfan4life05 wrote:ESPN is going to interview Brand

He will be on sportscenter to talk about what happened.

I'll only accept his apology to the clippers nation if he cries!

If Brand really cared about clipper nation, he wouldn't have gotten all butt hurt over a couple a mil.

it's not like he ended up getting 30 million more...what he got amounts to 2 or 3 a year..big deal he has alot of money.
the clippers offered him 75 million a year, if he feels disrespected by that, he's a gina and a half.
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
triplet1984
General Manager
And1: 177

Post#158 » by triplet1984 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:45 pm

It turns out he actually took 2 million less to take Philly's offer :rofl: Clippers management sucks.

Return to The General Board