Elton Brand Agrees To Terms W/Philadephia

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

And 1 Amare
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: Elton Brand Agrees To Terms W/Philadephia 

Post#41 » by And 1 Amare » Wed Jul 9, 2008 1:15 am

eagles nut wrote:You all realize that Baron Davis hasn't officially signed anything with the Clippers yet, don't you? Does this cause him to go back to Golden State? Does this mean the Clippers re-sign Maggette?

LOL why would Baron Davis go back to Golden State? I don't want him here anymore, he knew that the Warriors wouldn't give his injury prone body a huge contract extension; so instead, he found a team dumb enough to pay him $65 million for the next 5 years. Smart move, he gets his 'financial security', along with being able to play in his hometown.
eagles nut
Analyst
And1: 266

Post#42 » by eagles nut » Wed Jul 9, 2008 1:17 am

Players back out of verbal agreements all the time. The Clippers reportedly renounced the bird rights to Brand to attempt to sign Davis. They can't get those rights back. They may be able to match what Philadelphia is offering but to do so would mean not getting Davis and maybe Brand doesn't want to go back in that scenario. His options are either get Davis as a teammate but take less money, take the bigger money from Philly, or take the same money from the Clippers but without Davis. Sans Davis, Philly is a better team.
treis
RealGM
And1: 60

Post#43 » by treis » Wed Jul 9, 2008 1:17 am

I think this is a smart move for Brand. Baron with Kaman and Brand didn't make any sense. With two dominant low post guys, you want to slow it down and play half court. The PG that fits is one that can shoot, defend, and get the ball into those two. Instead, they signed Chucker McChuckstein.
And 1 Amare
Banned User

Post#44 » by And 1 Amare » Wed Jul 9, 2008 1:18 am

vwc228 wrote:correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it brand that said a little while ago that he liked what he saw in Boston's superstars - each giving up something on an individual level in order to create a strong team?!?!

The Clippers signed a pair of worn out knees for $65 million over the next 5 years. ahhh.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHVPEFam_Og
| Monta Ellis | Marco Belinelli | Anthony Randolph | Brandan Wright | Andris Biedrins |
Heat3
RealGM
And1: 14,231

Post#45 » by Heat3 » Wed Jul 9, 2008 1:20 am

got to be true. i read he put his house for sale in la.
Pat Riley wrote:There are only two options regarding commitment. You're either IN or you're OUT. There is no such thing as life in-between.

James Johnson wrote:The culture is REAL.

carrottop12
RealGM
And1: 30

Post#46 » by carrottop12 » Wed Jul 9, 2008 1:21 am

I love these people who are talking about losing respect for someone because they signed a contract for worth 15 million dollars more somewhere else.

You're mad at Boozer and Brand for wanting to support their family for longer? Cry about it.

In a league where these players can be traded to any town at any time to benefit themselves, how can you be mad at a player for trying to get what he wants?

Plus Philly is a better team anyways.
sweet_jesus
Bench Warmer
And1: 148

Post#47 » by sweet_jesus » Wed Jul 9, 2008 1:24 am

Lose respect?

I applaud Brand for having the common sense to leave the Clippers.

Win with a young team on the rise while the rest of the East ages into its twilight. Leave the daily rigors of defending the Duncans, Boozers, Amares, Wests, Gasols, and other Westerns PFs

Signing Davis does not makeup for all the time wasted in LAC that Baylor and Sterling could have been building a legit contender and not some LA attractions.
Big Money
Sophomore

Post#48 » by Big Money » Wed Jul 9, 2008 1:25 am

Baron is not going back to GS

LA Times is reporting that Maggette is going to GS for 50mil/5 years

BTW, it is also being reported that LAC only offered 5/70 because they renounced Elton in order to get even more under the cap to get Baron, backfired if you ask me, they should have talked to both and told Baron that they would sign after locking up Elton to a long term deal. That is the reason The Clips didnt move from there initial offer
GuyverX
Head Coach
And1: 4,187

Post#49 » by GuyverX » Wed Jul 9, 2008 1:27 am

Batronuj wrote:In a league where these players can be traded to any town at any time to benefit themselves, how can you be mad at a player for trying to get what he wants?

No, EXCEPT when he says he wants an organization to do something, they actually do it and he still chooses to bolt anyway. If he wanted the max, the Clippers would've given it to him. They just wouldn't have gone after Davis first. Bottom line, he didn't really want to be a Clipper anymore and he shouldn't have said that he did. He got our expectations up and took a crap on the fans in the end.
rsavaj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,767

Post#50 » by rsavaj » Wed Jul 9, 2008 1:28 am

Maggette agreed to go to GSW, so what's LAC's roster now?

PG: Baron Davis/Brevin Knight/Mike Taylor
SG: Cuttino Mobley/Eric Gordon
SF: Al Thornton
PF: Tim Thomas
C: Chris Kaman/DeAndre Jordan

Restricted Free Agents: Nick Fazekas, Marcus Williams

Unrestricted Free Agents: Paul Davis, Dan Dickau, Shaun Livingston, Smush Parker, Quinton Ross

:/. If they can sign Deng or Iguodala, maybe Thornton can play some 4? The ideals would now be Okafor and Josh Smith....
Rampage
Pro Prospect
And1: 44

Post#51 » by Rampage » Wed Jul 9, 2008 1:28 am

Batronuj wrote:You're mad at Boozer and Brand for wanting to support their family for longer? Cry about it.

Yeah, you can't support a family for long on $70 million plus all the millions you've already made. You need that extra $12 to make sure they don't starve down the line.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,426

Post#52 » by Roscoe Sheed » Wed Jul 9, 2008 1:30 am

Batronuj wrote:I love these people who are talking about losing respect for someone because they signed a contract for worth 15 million dollars more somewhere else.

You're mad at Boozer and Brand for wanting to support their family for longer? Cry about it.

In a league where these players can be traded to any town at any time to benefit themselves, how can you be mad at a player for trying to get what he wants?

the difference is apparently really only about $5 million total. Brand is a deceptive POS. What an a-hole
Big Money
Sophomore

Post#53 » by Big Money » Wed Jul 9, 2008 1:30 am

Batronuj wrote:I love these people who are talking about losing respect for someone because they signed a contract for worth 15 million dollars more somewhere else.

should have said he wanted the money, no problem with that, but he told management that if they got that missing piece he would stay in LA. LA kept there word, Elton didnt.

BTW, I know the Clippers dont get much exposure nationally but being out here on the West Coast, the clips were going to be strong. 2 years ago they took Phoenix to a game 7 in the 2nd round.

Baron, Thornton, Kaman, Livingston, Gordon, Mobley > Igoudala, Miller, Dalembert, Young
MrCheerios
Analyst
And1: 887

Post#54 » by MrCheerios » Wed Jul 9, 2008 1:31 am

Ah, Duke big men continue to display their great character. Coach K taught them well.
GuyverX
Head Coach
And1: 4,187

Post#55 » by GuyverX » Wed Jul 9, 2008 1:31 am

rsavaj wrote:Maggette agreed to go to GSW, so what's LAC's roster now?

PG: Brevin Knight/Mike Taylor

Unrestricted Free Agents: Paul Davis, Dan Dickau, Shaun Livingston, Smush Parker, Quinton Ross

:/. If they can sign Deng or Iguodala, maybe Thornton can play some 4? The ideals would now be Okafor and Josh Smith....

Well I would add Baron Davis in at PG...unless he's going back on his word and not coming here either. :banghead:
dockingsched
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,679

Post#56 » by dockingsched » Wed Jul 9, 2008 1:32 am

the clippers could've offered brand even more money than any team if that's what he wanted in the first place. restricted free agents beware.
"We must try not to sink beneath our anguish, Harry, but battle on." - Dumbledore
magicfan4life05
RealGM
And1: 198

Post#57 » by magicfan4life05 » Wed Jul 9, 2008 1:32 am

wow

espn and everyone has been saying for weeks all indications are he will stay with the clippers

definitely a shocker
Dwight Howard on his FT struggles:

"I just think everybody needs to stop talking about it," Howard said. "There's more to life than free throws."
MixTKO
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#58 » by MixTKO » Wed Jul 9, 2008 1:33 am

rsavaj wrote::/. If they can sign Deng or Iguodala, maybe Thornton can play some 4? The ideals would now be Okafor and Josh Smith....
I'd bet money Paxson would match any offer for Deng.
rsavaj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,767

Post#59 » by rsavaj » Wed Jul 9, 2008 1:33 am

GuyverX wrote:
rsavaj wrote:Maggette agreed to go to GSW, so what's LAC's roster now?

PG: Baron Davis/Brevin Knight/Mike Taylor

Well I would add Baron Davis in at PG...unless he's going back on his word and not coming here either. :banghead:

My bad, fixed.
AgEnT50
General Manager
And1: 188

Re: Brand To Philadelphia 

Post#60 » by AgEnT50 » Wed Jul 9, 2008 1:35 am

Bucky O'Hare wrote:Looks like it's pretty much a done deal.

Philly just leap-frogged Detroit, Atlanta, and Orlando and is now the clear-cut #2 team in the East.

Atlanta ? yes....Detroit & Orlando? no....they are not even better than Toronto at this point

Return to The General Board