Whats so great about Ricky Rubio

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

starvinmarvin17
Banned User
And1: 23

Whats so great about Ricky Rubio 

Post#1 » by starvinmarvin17 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:11 pm

So who's this Ricky Rubio dude why are some people sayin he's gonna be a top 3 pick next year. Is he really that good, or is it all just hype I hope you people have ssome good insight on the dude and raps fans is he better than Calderon who starts on the Spain National Team. BTW chunky salsa is better then puree salsa
Cybulski37
Bench Warmer
And1: 9

Re: Whats so great about Ricky Rubio 

Post#2 » by Cybulski37 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:16 pm

Well I remember reading about him, and basically he's a 17 year old kid tearing it up on his team, and led Euroleague in steals in only nineteen minutes. Also:

In August of 2006, Rubio led the junior Spanish national team to the FIBA Europe Under-16 Championship. During the tournament (excluding the final game), Rubio achieved two triple-doubles and one quadruple-double. In the 110-106 double overtime finale victory over Russia, Rubio scored 51 points (including a three-point, buzzer-beating shot from mid-court, to force the first overtime), grabbed 24 rebounds, made 12 assists, and stole the ball seven times, a performance unprecedented in the tournament's history. Rubio also was named the Most Valuable Player of the tournament after leading it in points, rebounds, assists and steals.
warriorfan650 wrote:Baron Davis = 2 All Star Games Played.
Jonathan Bender = 2 Games Played.

Owned!
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#3 » by Rasho Brezec » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:22 pm

Well, he's only 17 years old and one of the key members of Joventut, one of the top Spanish clubs in one of the top European leagues. In 2006/2007 season, he lead the Euroleague in steals (3.2 per game). He was 16 years old and Euroleague is considered the premier league in Europe. That's just to start with, maybe someone for Spain can tell you something more.
NetsForce
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#4 » by NetsForce » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:22 pm

Rubio has a ton of talent... He's got great vision and what not but if he came to the NBA right now he'd be dominated on a nightly basis, he's only 17 and he's rail thin, he wouldn't be able to hold his own against anybody.

He's still a phenomenal talent who projects to have no trouble competing in the NBA when he fully matures.
EvadedHavoc
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#5 » by EvadedHavoc » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:30 pm

Rasho Brezec wrote:Well, he's only 17 years old and one of the key members of Joventut, one of the top Spanish clubs in one of the top European leagues. In 2006/2007 season, he lead the Euroleague in steals (3.2 per game). He was 16 years old and Euroleague is considered the premier league in Europe. That's just to start with, maybe someone for Spain can tell you something more.

So that means either Rubio is damn good or the league just sucks.
Cavsfan4lyfe
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#6 » by Cavsfan4lyfe » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:30 pm

The kid is amazingly talented and creative. Look up some of his highlights on youtube, Rubio makes some incredible plays. I can't wait to see him in the NBA.
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#7 » by Rasho Brezec » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:36 pm

EvadedHavoc wrote:
Rasho Brezec wrote:Well, he's only 17 years old and one of the key members of Joventut, one of the top Spanish clubs in one of the top European leagues. In 2006/2007 season, he lead the Euroleague in steals (3.2 per game). He was 16 years old and Euroleague is considered the premier league in Europe. That's just to start with, maybe someone for Spain can tell you something more.

So that means either Rubio is damn good or the league just sucks.

He is damn good.
dreamcloud
Analyst
And1: 464

Post#8 » by dreamcloud » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:42 pm

Cybulski37 wrote:Well I remember reading about him, and basically he's a 17 year old kid tearing it up on his team, and led Euroleague in steals in only nineteen minutes. Also:

In August of 2006, Rubio led the junior Spanish national team to the FIBA Europe Under-16 Championship. During the tournament (excluding the final game), Rubio achieved two triple-doubles and one quadruple-double. In the 110-106 double overtime finale victory over Russia, Rubio scored 51 points (including a three-point, buzzer-beating shot from mid-court, to force the first overtime), grabbed 24 rebounds, made 12 assists, and stole the ball seven times, a performance unprecedented in the tournament's history. Rubio also was named the Most Valuable Player of the tournament after leading it in points, rebounds, assists and steals.

Wtf? Did someone edit Wikipedia or something?
Derekman
Banned User

Post#9 » by Derekman » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:51 pm

This kid is incredible. He's Chris Paul-lite but with elite D.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,787

Post#10 » by Upperclass » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:07 pm

He is slowwwwwwwwwww..color me highly skeptical on his ability to be a difference maker at the point..Nocedal.. possibly.. Rubio.. doubtful IMO
JustMagic
Senior
And1: 24

Post#11 » by JustMagic » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:17 pm

dreamcloud wrote:
Cybulski37 wrote:Well I remember reading about him, and basically he's a 17 year old kid tearing it up on his team, and led Euroleague in steals in only nineteen minutes. Also:

You can check by yourself:
http://tinyurl.com/y8nnzb
britblazerdude
RealGM
And1: 1,344

Post#12 » by britblazerdude » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:20 pm

He made the roster for the Olympics over Sergio Rodriguez so he must be pretty damn good. We will see in the olympics i guess
To Dare Is To Do? 13 League Titles. You've only got 2.
Red Robot
Assistant Coach
And1: 113

Post#13 » by Red Robot » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:30 pm

I just finished watching him play against Argentina. He easily stood out as the most active player. He put a ton of pressure on the ball and came up with some impressive steals. He's a really outstanding ballhandler. He's smart, creative, and aggressive looking for teammates. He's also pretty good finding his own shot and shooting off the dribble. He has the potential to be a very effective scorer as well as one of the best distributors in the league.

Rudy is still really young and has a long ways to go. He does have some limitations. Unlike in Spain, I don't think he's going to have a lot of success attacking the basket in the NBA. I also don't know how effective he'll be as a defender. He's still inconsistent. He could score 20 points one day and 2 the next. Then again, he's just 17 and getting better every day.
fallentimes
Sophomore

Post#14 » by fallentimes » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:50 pm

Chris Paul is an elite defender...
ticketstumbler.com - Expedia for NBA Tickets!
carrottop12
RealGM
And1: 30

Post#15 » by carrottop12 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:55 pm

fallentimes wrote:Chris Paul is an elite defender...

:rofl: Good one.
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#16 » by Knicksfan20 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:11 pm

I can see him end up being a Jason Kidd type player

Good defense, Good Decision making, good court vision, Great passer

Average-Below Average Shooter, Not very athletic or quick (of course im comparing him to other PGS in the league in terms of athleticism) he has good size, i think dude is like... 6'4
dreamcloud
Analyst
And1: 464

Post#17 » by dreamcloud » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:31 pm

JustMagic wrote:
dreamcloud wrote:

You can check by yourself:
http://tinyurl.com/y8nnzb

What the hell? 24 rebounds for a PG (not in highschool)?? Wow..what's up with that league..
SA37
RealGM
And1: 7,202

Post#18 » by SA37 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:50 pm

He's unbelievably talented. He's only 17 and he is already one of the better players in Europe. When you watch him play, you see how he can anticipate how a play unfolds. He plays under control, generally doesn't force the issue...stuff you don't see out of a lot of young point guards. He has a solid shot on him, has quick hands, and he can be very creative. I am extremely interested to see how he plays against the U.S.

If you want to call it a weakness, he isn't a super athlete; he isn't outstandingly fast and doesn't jump outstandingly high, but I don't think it is anything that would hinder him from being able to make it in the league.

It's difficult to predict what a 17-year-old is going to become. I personally think he can be a good NBA player. I don't think he is a franchise-type talent, but I think he can be a very effective player.

If you're looking at him as a prospect, think a good comparison is Sean Livingston before the horrendous injury. He's that kind of talent with that kind of skill set. If you're looking for a best-case/worst-case scenario:

Best-case: A lower-scoring Penny Hardaway (in his better years)
Worst-case: Brent Barry
Farm Raid
Starter

Post#19 » by Farm Raid » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:54 pm

I thought the Euroleagues were taking over the NBA? Why would this kid come here?
raptorforlife88
Veteran
And1: 945

Post#20 » by raptorforlife88 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:47 am

He's a really really intelligent player. Kindof of like Kevin Love, but unlike Love he is athletically suited for his position.

He owns Lithuania here.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_d ... =nba,95979

Return to The General Board