Paul Pierce: "I'm the BEST player in the WORLD"

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Texas Longhorns
Banned User
And1: 3

Re: Paul Pierce: "I'm the BEST player in the WORLD" 

Post#121 » by Texas Longhorns » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:52 pm

Ok, now this is turning into a question of the Celtics championship. That's not what this is. This is only about an idiot who thinks he's the best because he won a ring.
sarah42
Starter
And1: 2

Post#122 » by sarah42 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:55 pm

when did paul tank? he was legitimately hurt last year! lol at antoine walker! i wish him the best though. a sprained mcl is no joke though - you can tell he was hurting - what does it say about the lakers psyche that they can't get past a player playing through injury or they can't guard a banged up player? you praise kobe for playing through a bad finger but not paul? wtf?
inmate347 wrote:
BTW, I still maintain that the 1984 Denver Broncos are Lebron's father
PP34RA10
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#123 » by PP34RA10 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:01 pm

Indy07 wrote:PP34 my god take your blinders off and take an objective, non (Please Use More Appropriate Word) look at what you are arguing. Even before KG and Allen arrived, PPierce did have Al jefferson and Antoine Walker before Al. Everybody rips on Walker for being a chucker now but look at his stats for his 3 year stint in Boston from 2000-03. He averaged around 22 and 8.

Al wasn't exactly a scrub. He was arguably as good as the laker's 2nd best player at that time, Lamar Odom. You know what Kobe did anyways? Make the playoffs. What did the Celtics do? Did you conveniently forget their blatant tank job? Do you think Kobe would tank? Tell me that. The same Kobe who has played with a torn shooting finger compared to the guy who had to get melodramatically carried off the court to return minutes later from an arguably feigned injury . You are arguing that the guy who scored 81 points in a game is inferior to Paul Pierce. The only legitimate argument you can make for Pierce is that he plays up to his competition. Thats it.

Think about that. And those 5 people you listed as best in the NBA and the people you wouldn't take over Paul Pierce? You listed Dwight Howard. Seriously. The best center in the league. That right there eliminates any credibility your logic may have carried. To even have this discussion is absolutely (Please Use More Appropriate Word). There isn't really a good argument for Pierce and thats that.

ur smoking, antione walker was always flawed and is garbage, he was a PF, and shot 38 % from the field. hahahahahaha ur crazy.id take odon over a prime walker.

now , al jefferson only came on last year when pierce was injure for 60 % of the season so that argument doesnt exist, so they never really played together, and the celtics lost 18 straight without PP last yaer, a bunch of highschool players and pierce.

the fact that odom probably would have been pierce best player prior to the allen and kg trades speaks for itself.

Bryant had Butler and odom after the dominant shaq left, and Caron got kicked out cuase kobe wants his shots, .. butler and odom and the team sucked.. why???

always goes kobes way, what does kobe need to win???? 4 top 10 players to win??
Ortho Stice
Veteran
And1: 76

Post#124 » by Ortho Stice » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:09 pm

He outplayed LeBron and Kobe, the two players many consider as the best in the world, and went on to win Finals MVP. I'd personally rather have LeBron or Kobe on my team, but his comment isn't as insane as many people would make it seem.

As for making the proclamation himself: Breaking news: athletes tend to be boastful!
sarah42
Starter

Post#125 » by sarah42 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:14 pm

idrinkrootbeer wrote:He outplayed LeBron and Kobe, the two players many consider as the best in the world, and went on to win Finals MVP. I'd personally rather have LeBron or Kobe on my team, but his comment isn't as insane as many people would make it seem.

As for making the proclamation himself: Breaking news: athletes tend to be boastful!

lol - it was also a Spanish interview - the guy is still partying i see all around the world
sweet daddy
Analyst
And1: 47

Post#126 » by sweet daddy » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:15 pm

After his career-best year in '03/04, Erick Dampier claimed that he was the 2nd best center in the NBA. His claim was about as correct then as Paul's is now.
'daddy knows best'
microfib4thewin
Head Coach
And1: 454

Post#127 » by microfib4thewin » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:36 pm

PP34RA10 wrote:Bryant had Butler and odom after the dominant shaq left, and Caron got kicked out cuase kobe wants his shots, .. butler and odom and the team sucked.. why???

always goes kobes way, what does kobe need to win???? 4 top 10 players to win??

What a simpleton response. I don't expect Boston fans to have knowledge on the Laker team just as Laker fans don't know much about the pre-KG Celtics, but if you really don't know anything, then please refrain from making conclusions that will show your ignorance. The Kobe-Odom-Butler trio never panned out, all they had on the frontline was Odom, Mihm, and Bynum who was still too young to get serious minutes. With a glut of SFs they moved Butler for Kwame hoping for more size and rebounding. It didn't pan out, but at the time the trade was justified because Caron wasn't and may never have been a 20+ PPG scorer had he stayed in LA. The only argument about Pierce's supporting cast being worse than Kobe's is having Odom, even then with the East having more weaker teams Pierce wasn't able to lead his team to the playoffs for the last two years.
Kefa461
RealGM
And1: 430

Post#128 » by Kefa461 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:50 pm

Texas Longhorns wrote:Ok, now this is turning into a question of the Celtics championship. That's not what this is. This is only about an idiot who thinks he's the best because he won a ring.

No.....this is about The Championship Finals MVP...........not a bench warmer. 8-)
WE ARE CELTIC NATION
17 TITLES, ON TO #18.
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,082

Post#129 » by High 5 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:57 pm

I don't know where this thread went after page one but it's clear most of the posters on page one didn't bother with the whole quote.
Rocky5000
Analyst

Post#130 » by Rocky5000 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:58 pm

sarah42 wrote:
yeah so, kobe lit allen up for like 15 consecutive points in like game 3 or 4 when allen was on him

pp clearly shut kobe down when he was on him, kobe was like 10-40 when pp was on him

no the team shut him down - i recongise paul did a great job the times he was on him - but the majority of the time ray allen did the dirty work and was damn great at it! paul though did the best job on lebron thats for sure. there was an article where danny stated the order of defense was allen paul and then posey in terms of efficiency so ainge is giving allen his due - paul has his trophy so all is good! eye of the beholder i guess - but what we can agree on is both allen and piere did a better job than pose - pose is a great roleplayer

He was speaking about TONY Allen, not Ray.
NetsForce
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#131 » by NetsForce » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:58 pm

I love how when evaluating Paul Pierce the majority of posters in this thread are throwing out every season except this past one. That's pretty dumb in my honest opinion, I guess this was to be expected though, Pierce is just the flavor of the week similar to Dwyane Wade after he won the finals, only Wade is legitimately a top 5 caliber talent in the NBA.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,279

Post#132 » by celticfan42487 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:58 pm

At least PP34RA10 has got his post count up in this thread.

And micro, we Boston fans may not have any knowledge about your team. But did you honestly just defend the Kwame for Butler response because Butler wouldn't have been a 20ppg scorer on the team with Kobe?

Kobe is not Allen Iverson. Butler would of been a great sidekick for Kobe.

And for all the complaining of the Finals. Kobe,Gasol,Odom,Fisher vs Rondo,Ray Allen, Pierce, KG. The talent level looks pretty similar.

The only diffrence is that Pierce's game winning block in game two, Pierce outplaying Kobe in game 4, Pierce's comeback back-to-back 3s in the third quarter of game 1, teh Celtic team out defending the Lakers for a 38ish point blowout in game 6. For what it's worth, Pierce made clutch plays on offense and defense, Garnett made hustle plays, and Ray Allen shot 3s. A lot of time the clutch plays will get the most recognition.

And btw now Ray Allen is a HoFer by everyone's standards? Because in this thread everyone is saying he is. And if he is he's on the backside of the prime. Must have been 2 years ago unless if he had a Gary Payton drop off this year and everyone saw it in the playoffs. He did have a historic Finals run offensively as a stand behind the line shooter though give him that.
Man_Up
Senior
And1: 1

Post#133 » by Man_Up » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:00 pm

High 5 wrote:I don't know where this thread went after page one but it's clear most of the posters on page one didn't bother with the whole quote.

That's what it seems like.

It could also just be a poor translation. It's from a spanish news paper.
Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Indy07
Sophomore

Post#134 » by Indy07 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:01 pm

PP34RA10 wrote:
ur smoking, antione walker was always flawed and is garbage, he was a PF, and shot 38 % from the field. hahahahahaha ur crazy.id take odon over a prime walker.

Ok don't drop wrong stats to ATTEMPT to prove your point. You made me go out of my way to prove you have resorted to lying..on a message board. Only once has his FG% been close to 38% when he was with Boston..and it was .388. His mean average shooting percentage while playing for the Celtics was around .415875% or 42% while averaging 8.6 rebounds and 3.95 assists per game. Yes everybody loves to hate on Walker but a lot only remember him for the latter portion of his career when he was relegated to shooting long 3's.

As far as the Pierce "sprained MCL" injury..If you think its plausible for him to get carried off, placed in a wheelchair then return less than 5 minutes later without a noticeable hobble in his step and still claim that he suffered a significant injury, then thats fine. Thats your belief, your opinion.

And PP, your Butler analysis..actually calling it an analysis is a large overestimate. Lets say your unfounded, ignorant assumption that Butler had to be moved so that Kobe could shoot more statement is just..plain wrong. Show me some sort of semblance of logic in your arguments. The Butler Odom Kobe trio just didn't work. The laker's didn't have the proper depth up front, and they gambled on a player who at the time still had plenty of upside. And yes apparently Kobe does need 4 top players to win..Yeah those 3 rings with him, Shaq, Rick Fox and Robert Horry. The most feared foursome in history...See Paul Pierce only needed 2. Garnett and Ray Allen. The rest of the team didn't matter. Who cares about the players that don't make the annual all star game right PP?

And Kobe has played over 60 games, an MVP, made it to the NBA Finals, got 1st team All NBA and now is practicing for the Olympic Team with a torn finger. Paul playing through what injury? As I recall, the tests that came out after the game said there was no damage and he should be 100% throughout the duration of the series. Yes I'll now praise Paul for playing at 95% health. What an admirable, courageous showing Paul. You are the epitome of the toughness. And for Lakers psyche? I am a Pacers fan and am indifferent on the issue of Lakers vs Celtics.
MaxRider
RealGM
And1: 5,805

Post#135 » by MaxRider » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:01 pm

too bad the best player in the world is not playing in the Olympics
Cracked Fingers
Senior
And1: 3

Post#136 » by Cracked Fingers » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:10 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:At least PP34RA10 has got his post count up in this thread.

And micro, we Boston fans may not have any knowledge about your team. But did you honestly just defend the Kwame for Butler response because Butler wouldn't have been a 20ppg scorer on the team with Kobe?

Kobe is not Allen Iverson. Butler would of been a great sidekick for Kobe.

And for all the complaining of the Finals. Kobe,Gasol,Odom,Fisher vs Rondo,Ray Allen, Pierce, KG. The talent level looks pretty similar.

The only diffrence is that Pierce's game winning block in game two, Pierce outplaying Kobe in game 4, Pierce's comeback back-to-back 3s in the third quarter of game 1, teh Celtic team out defending the Lakers for a 38ish point blowout in game 6. For what it's worth, Pierce made clutch plays on offense and defense, Garnett made hustle plays, and Ray Allen shot 3s. A lot of time the clutch plays will get the most recognition.

And btw now Ray Allen is a HoFer by everyone's standards? Because in this thread everyone is saying he is. And if he is he's on the backside of the prime. Must have been 2 years ago unless if he had a Gary Payton drop off this year and everyone saw it in the playoffs. He did have a historic Finals run offensively as a stand behind the line shooter though give him that.

You making it more complicated than it was. Boston was simply a more physical team. When PJ Brown is tossing the other teams starting center around you knew they had no chance.
NetsForce
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#137 » by NetsForce » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:11 pm

MaxRider wrote:too bad the best player in the world is not playing in the Olympics

Too bad for the other teams, good for Team USA, I bet the other teams were hoping Pierce would be part of Team USA so that he could lead them to another 6th place finish.
pr0nny
Senior

Post#138 » by pr0nny » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:25 pm

How is this even a discussion? Paul Pierce is a pompous dillusional moron with overinflated value.

f'n /thread
microfib4thewin
Head Coach
And1: 454

Post#139 » by microfib4thewin » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:26 pm

No, PP34RA believed that Kobe should be held at a much higher regard for his team's success because he had both Butler and Odom. I made a rebuttal on that point because Caron wasn't the scorer that he is now and he wasn't a good fit with the team back then. He did have 30+ point games, but the Laker team had too many SFs and needed rebounding. That and having a new coach was mainly why the Lakers failed to make the playoffs. Also, by the time the Lakers did make playoffs, it was with Kwame and Smush running the 1 and 5 spot, Caron was nowhere in sight. That is why I think Pierce having a worse supporting cast does not really excuse him from not getting a playoff spot in the East if you want to say Pierce is a top 5 player. He's an excellent player, but he doesn't have the ability to carry a team like Lebron, Wade, Duncan, and other franchise players that have been listed.
triplet1984
General Manager
And1: 177

Post#140 » by triplet1984 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:26 pm

Iggyemu wrote:Was the best player in the Finals. He has a point. Why not....its the perks that come with being Finals MVP.

Well gee, I guess Chauncey Billups and Tony Parker also had runs as the Best Player in the World!

Return to The General Board