Paul Pierce: "I'm the BEST player in the WORLD"

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

DIEHARD_005
Starter
And1: 902

Re: Paul Pierce: "I'm the BEST player in the WORLD" 

Post#61 » by DIEHARD_005 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:48 pm

LOLLLLLLLLL if he was so great why was Boston so garbage for so long? PP is delusional, he couldn't do **** all on his own in the LEASTERN conference for years. KG carried his team out west for as long as he could have before finally giving out in his final two years in Minny. Pierce should just STFU and be grateful that Ray Ray and KG bailed him out so that he could finally win a ring.
humblebum
Banned User
And1: 1,755

Post#62 » by humblebum » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:50 pm

Lebron James is clearly, clearly the best player in the world. Kobe, Duncan, and KG are the other players that compare most favorably to James. What separates these four players is the level of consistency of greatness/near-greatness. Durability is also a huge key with these players and that is why players like Yao, Wade cannot be in the discussion.

Personally, I feel that players who can control the backboards and who defend the paint well are inherently more valuable than perimeter players. This is why Duncan and KG are, IMO, better than Kobe Bryant as well... though their impact is less visible to the average fan than say the impact of a Kobe Bryant whose impact is almost entirely felt when he is in possession of the basketball. Kobe's defense has been vastly overrated... if he was such a great defender how come he was unable to really deter Ray Allen or Paul Pierce?

The reason why I say that Lebron is the best is that he has the physical presence and rebounding acumen of a 4-5 with the playmaking abilities of a PG, along with elite scoring ability.

In regards to Pierce he has a lot of the same qualities of Lebron as well as Kobe Bryant. Pierce is one of the best on the ball players in the game, because like Kobe he can score from various areas on the court. I think Pierce is a bit of a better slasher than Kobe because of his strong rugged frame. On the perimeter and in terms of ball handling Kobe is much, much better and IMO this is the biggest reason why Kobe is rated so highly by fans... he's the most spectacular on the ball player. Where Pierce has the edge on Kobe is undoubtedly on the defensive end and this is because he can defend both two's and three's at a very high level as evidenced by his defensive performances against the best 2 and 3 in the NBA in Kobe and Lebron. Pierce though, is not as consistently great as a player like Kobe. However, Pierce's highs are as good as any player in the game (Game 7 against the Cavs, the knee tweak game agianst the Lakers). When Pierce is able to outduel Lebron, Kobe in key moments during a championship run there is no question that he has a right to be in the DISCUSSION for best player along with all of the other great players.
Kakish
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#63 » by Kakish » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:54 pm

Tesla wrote:Pierce didn't handily outplay Kobe in the finals, thats simply a bunch of crap. The the Celtics outplayed the Lakers, and were clearly the better team and won 4-2, even though it was closer then people are making it seem (game 6 being the only game where the Celtics really dominated). Paul Pierce was good in the finals no doubt, and Kobe had a subpar finals, but having said that....

Kobe: 26ppg, 5rpg, 5apg, 3spg - 40/32/80 % with 3.8TO
Pierce: 22ppg, 4rpg, 6apg, 1spg - 43/39/83'% with 3.6TO

Those numbers don't look like anyone handily outplayed anyone there. To say so is just plain wrong. The reasons it may seem so is:
1. Kobe looked more than human compared to his previous three series, where he was clearly the best player on the planet, no questions asked. In the finals the Celtics collapsed on him, and their defense kept him in check.
2. Pierce's team won, because they were the better team.
3. the Laker defense was geared towards Garnett, and the Celtic defense was geared towards Kobe.

I mean, Pierce had like what 5points in game 3? He played clutch, and was a great leader, had a good series, but people are overblowing just how good of a series he actually had, and the match-up circumstances in the series.

Ray Allen honestly had just as impressive as a series IMO, and if Paul Pierce can say he's better than Kobe, or the best player in the league, and you agree that he has the right to say it, then so does Ray Allen.

The fact is, Kevin Garnett is clearly the Celtics best player, and for someone to say they are the best player in the world, when they are not even the best player on their team is dellusional.

Good Post!
DaDragicShow
Banned User

Post#64 » by DaDragicShow » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:20 pm

DIEHARD_005 wrote:LOLLLLLLLLL if he was so great why was Boston so garbage for so long? PP is delusional, he couldn't do **** all on his own in the LEASTERN conference for years. KG carried his team out west for as long as he could have before finally giving out in his final two years in Minny. Pierce should just STFU and be grateful that Ray Ray and KG bailed him out so that he could finally win a ring.

Because he has a bad team, and Kobe couldnt do sh*t too until he got Pau Gasol and Derek Fisher. Dont forget even with Phil Jackson Kobe missed the playoffs one year and then got bounces two straight years in first round by the Suns
knicksNOTslick
RealGM
And1: 4,657

Post#65 » by knicksNOTslick » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:24 pm

arizonaplaya85 wrote:
DIEHARD_005 wrote:LOLLLLLLLLL if he was so great why was Boston so garbage for so long? PP is delusional, he couldn't do **** all on his own in the LEASTERN conference for years. KG carried his team out west for as long as he could have before finally giving out in his final two years in Minny. Pierce should just STFU and be grateful that Ray Ray and KG bailed him out so that he could finally win a ring.

Because he has a bad team, and Kobe couldnt do sh*t too until he got Pau Gasol and Derek Fisher. Dont forget even with Phil Jackson Kobe missed the playoffs one year and then got bounces two straight years in first round by the Suns

Pierce was at the bottom of the Eastern Conference. BOTTOM! I don't think Kobe would let any team he is on to be that bad. Pierce did prior to their championship year. KG and Ray Allen are light years ahead of Gasol and Derek Fisher. Are you serious with that? You're saying Kobe couldn't do **** til Gasol and Fisher, but Pierce couldn't do it til he got 2 other future HOF-ers next to him. Get real. Pierce has a much much better supporting cast.
theTHIEF
RealGM
And1: 214

Post#66 » by theTHIEF » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:25 pm

I thought I was the best player in the world...
Kefa461
RealGM
And1: 430

Post#67 » by Kefa461 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:29 pm

arizonaplaya85 wrote:

Excellent point....no one player can do it all, even Mr.MVP Kobe without other pieces......Pierce can talk all season long and the haters just can hate and I love it.........btw.......#18 is just around the bend. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-)

ps....on 1 leg.......out of a wheelchair to boot too....... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-)
WE ARE CELTIC NATION
17 TITLES, ON TO #18.
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#68 » by Rasho Brezec » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:30 pm

arizonaplaya85 wrote:

Phil Jackson never missed the playoffs.
Speedlot
Lead Assistant
And1: 697

Post#69 » by Speedlot » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:41 pm

"Oh know, people don't think Kobe is the best player." "Oh know, people don't think LeBron is the best."

/THREAD with the grammar to add
CircleCitysportsfan
Lead Assistant
And1: 81

Post#70 » by CircleCitysportsfan » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:51 pm

I'm sure there are plenty of All Star caliber players that deep down think they are the best in the world. What non basketball players don't understand, at any level of basketball ego is a big factor in how good of a player you can be. Even if you are not, you have to believe you are. I don't think PP is the best player in the world but I see where he's coming from. It's just the confidence he has in himself. Nothing wrong with that at all.
DaDragicShow
Banned User

Post#71 » by DaDragicShow » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:51 pm

Rasho Brezec wrote:
arizonaplaya85 wrote:

Phil Jackson never missed the playoffs.

I believe they missed playoffs in 03 or 04 but maybe it was under a different head coach.
Mr Smoke Weed
Sophomore

Post#72 » by Mr Smoke Weed » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:53 pm

lol@ all of yall hurt by pierce bigging himself up, what do you expect
DIEHARD_005
Starter
And1: 902

Post#73 » by DIEHARD_005 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:56 pm

Because he has a bad team, and Kobe couldnt do sh*t too until he got Pau Gasol and Derek Fisher. Dont forget even with Phil Jackson Kobe missed the playoffs one year and then got bounces two straight years in first round by the Suns[/quote]
Phil Jackson never missed the playoffs.[/quote]

I believe they missed playoffs in 03 or 04 but maybe it was under a different head coach.[/quote]

Wasn't that when Rudy T was at the helm? I don't think he stayed on the whole year but I remember he was there for atleast half the season.
Tricky Ricky
Analyst

Post#74 » by Tricky Ricky » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:23 pm

LOLOOLOLO I Love how this has everybody whining, honestly what do you expect an NBA Player to say?
Quote of the year
MyInsatiableOne wrote:Did we just seriously post Danny's personal address and phone # on the board? :o
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#75 » by 5DOM » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:33 pm

JordansBulls wrote:
knicksNOTslick wrote:Switch Kobe and Pierce. Pierce on the Lakers would barely be a playoff team. Kobe on the Celtics means Quadruplepeat. It's not even close.

Couldn't you say the same thing about Iverson in 2001 or Kidd in 2002 or even Reggie Miller in 2000? If you are going to say switch Kobe and Pierce than why not switch those guys to play with a prime Shaq.

kobe didnt think he was the best player in the world then.
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#76 » by 5DOM » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:37 pm

Tricky Ricky wrote:LOLOOLOLO I Love how this has everybody whining, honestly what do you expect an NBA Player to say?

Kobe/LeBron/Duncan is the best player in the world.
Paul Pierce is not even top 10.

that's what i expect a human being to say.
~ TeRRoR SquaD ~
Sixth Man
And1: 67

Post#77 » by ~ TeRRoR SquaD ~ » Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:58 pm

LOL @ peple actually trying to back up their arguement with facts! Slap int he face to KG, Allen and the Boston Celtics!
Prophet_C
Starter
And1: 99

Post#78 » by Prophet_C » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:02 pm

Paul was joking. He's not the best player but I don't think it's crazy to put him in the top ten.
Cybulski37
Bench Warmer
And1: 9

Post#79 » by Cybulski37 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:03 pm

JordansBulls wrote:Why should Paul Pierce short change himself after winning finals MVP and playing great defense on the guy many think is the best?

He played great defense against probably the best player, before both of them decided "**** this ****, I'm filling the basket." and scored 40+ points in game seven. Both of them played great defense in that series until then.

Then he shut down Kobe and won Finals MVP. I dunno if he's the best, but as long as he's not cocky about it, there's no problem with it. What should he say "Yeah, KG and Ray and all those good bench players who signed for minimums carried me to a ring, I'm really not that good" Basketball is all about confidence, as long as you're not too cocky.
NetsForce
Banned User
And1: 29

Post#80 » by NetsForce » Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:12 pm

lmao... Pierce isn't even a top 10 player in the NBA. He might be the best actor in the world but he's easily not the best player in the world.

I mean look at where Paul Pierce teams were led until this year, they went absolutely nowhere. Don't even make me bring up the 2002 FIBA World Championship, we all saw a real Paul Pierce led team then (6th place finish by Team USA, in what was arguably their worst showing ever - thanks in major part to Pierce's selfish ways).

(On a side note it was Posey not Pierce doing the heavy defensive work against Kobe, people see a block or steal by Pierce on Kobe and like to change reality to suit what they just saw)

Return to The General Board