Cops say Paul Pierce not drunk enough

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

BigWil17
Pro Prospect
And1: 17

Re: Cops say Paul Pierce not drunk enough 

Post#61 » by BigWil17 » Mon Aug 4, 2008 2:36 am

next time any of you change lanes without signalling, turn yourselves in.
Don Ford
Analyst
And1: 1,042

Post#62 » by Don Ford » Mon Aug 4, 2008 2:59 am

GonzoLays wrote:
IT IS PERFECTLY LEGAL IN THE UNITED STATES TO DRIVE A CAR AS LONG AS YOU ARE UNDER THE LEGAL LIMIT. HENCE THE WORDS "LEGAL LIMIT."

Why is this so hard to understand?

The alcohol-crash link was confirmed in a series of case-control studies that compared the BACs of drivers experiencing crashes with those of matched non-crash-involved drivers. These studies found that relative crash risks increase exponentially with BAC: at .05 the risk is double that for a zero-BAC driver, at .08 the risk is multiplied by ten, while at .15 or higher (the levels typically attained by drivers arrested for drinking and driving) the relative risk is in the hundreds. The curve is even steeper for serious and fatal crashes, for single-vehicle crashes, and for young people.

http://law.jrank.org/pages/1020/Drinking-Driving-role-alcohol-in-road-accidents.html

Driving is a dangerous act by itself, doing something that will impair you driving ability such as drinking is irresponsible and stupid. Just ask the thousands of people that have lost a friend or family member in an accident where the other driver only 'had a few'.
Obviously there are no reliable details on what really happened (TMZ is not exactly CNNSI.com) but if Pierce was driving after he had been drinking then he did something extremely stupid and dangerous.

Why is this so hard to understand?
sweet daddy
Analyst
And1: 47

Post#63 » by sweet daddy » Mon Aug 4, 2008 3:14 am

This is not going to get solved in here. We've got people in here that want to see athletes act responsibly (I'm one of them), and we've got people in here that want to defend their actions. All we're gonna do is call each other names, and it won't do anything but make board enemies.

There are boneheads in the NBA, just like there are boneheads in society in general. I guess our only real choice is to watch it or not watch it.
'daddy knows best'
BadWolf
General Manager
And1: 3,239

Post#64 » by BadWolf » Mon Aug 4, 2008 1:21 pm

There are some really strange things in this story.
Why was this reported, why did the police report this to the press? A Headline of Paul Pierce was not DUI? Well, so weren't Kobe, Wade, Lebron and huzndreds of other stars.
They stated clearly he was under legal level and yet people accuse him of being a drunk driver. Flash I really don't get your pointz. They said he was not drunk, yet you think he is stupid cause he drinked and drove?
Now there's a report he was handcuffed and then released without any sentence. Is that normal in US?
This is really one bizarre story.
Sting3r
Head Coach
And1: 209

Post#65 » by Sting3r » Mon Aug 4, 2008 1:40 pm

Pierce had to do more than just change lanes without signaling. If I had to guess, he was probably swirving in and out lanes like he was drunk(wheter he was officially or not)...otherwise the poilce would never felt the need to stop him and put him in handcuffs. He probably got away because of his celebrity status and him beig the best player in the world and all.
Phobo_Phile
Sixth Man
And1: 357

Post#66 » by Phobo_Phile » Mon Aug 4, 2008 2:01 pm

Flash3 wrote:
GonzoLays wrote:
Flash3 wrote:Just stupid. Plain stupid!

Drinking and Driving don't mix. -- I could care less what the breathalyzer says....

Yea, don't let the facts get in your way. :lol:

So if Paul blew .02, that's still plain stupid? really?

Have you ever in your life had one drink at a restaurant with your meal then drove home?
I could care less, and that's my personal opinion.

Drinking & Driving are a lethal mix. A beer or two might not hinder someone's ability to reason, as has been said, but I can't say for sure, as I've never had a drink in my life and don't plan to.

But, the 2 are a deadly combo, just as women putting make-up and trying to drive/people texting while trying to drive etc.

Sorry, but this makes you uninformed on the subject. If you've never had a drink how can you judge what is allowable for others?
TrueRain
RealGM
And1: 94

Post#67 » by TrueRain » Mon Aug 4, 2008 2:08 pm

Phobo_Phile wrote:Sorry, but this makes you uninformed on the subject. If you've never had a drink how can you judge what is allowable for others?

Probably the millions of death caused each year by it.
cwas2882
General Manager
And1: 5,802

Post#68 » by cwas2882 » Mon Aug 4, 2008 2:21 pm

TrueRain wrote:
Phobo_Phile wrote:Sorry, but this makes you uninformed on the subject. If you've never had a drink how can you judge what is allowable for others?

Exactly how many millions of deaths are caused by just one drink?
TrueRain
RealGM
And1: 94

Post#69 » by TrueRain » Mon Aug 4, 2008 2:27 pm

cwas2882 wrote:
TrueRain wrote:

Exactly where did it say in my post that millions of deaths are caused by one drink?

The poster I quoted said that because Flash3 never had a drink it made him uninformed on the subject of what's allowable for others when considering drinking & driving. My point is, you don't need to drink to know what can come of it. I never said that having one drink will cause you to go out and kill a group of innocent teenagers.
Three34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 123

Post#70 » by Three34 » Mon Aug 4, 2008 2:31 pm

*eats more popcorn*
GregB
RealGM
And1: 2,975

Post#71 » by GregB » Mon Aug 4, 2008 3:08 pm

Flash3 wrote:
GonzoLays wrote:
Flash3 wrote:Just stupid. Plain stupid!

Drinking and Driving don't mix. -- I could care less what the breathalyzer says....

Yea, don't let the facts get in your way. :lol:

So if Paul blew .02, that's still plain stupid? really?

Have you ever in your life had one drink at a restaurant with your meal then drove home?
I could care less, and that's my personal opinion.

Drinking & Driving are a lethal mix. A beer or two might not hinder someone's ability to reason, as has been said, but I can't say for sure, as I've never had a drink in my life and don't plan to.

But, the 2 are a deadly combo, just as women putting make-up and trying to drive/people texting while trying to drive etc.

Well thankfully their are Scientists who run tests on these things. Then in turn the states make laws based on those findings. Those people say Pierce was not drunk driving. Their opinion means a lot more than someone who has never had a drink in their life and has never experienced the effects of drinking.
cwas2882
General Manager

Post#72 » by cwas2882 » Mon Aug 4, 2008 3:35 pm

Sham wrote:*eats more popcorn*

I lol'd
cwas2882
General Manager

Post#73 » by cwas2882 » Mon Aug 4, 2008 3:41 pm

TrueRain wrote:
cwas2882 wrote:
TrueRain wrote:Probably the millions of death caused each year by it.

Exactly where did it say in my post that millions of deaths are caused by one drink?

The poster I quoted said that because Flash3 never had a drink it made him uninformed on the subject of what's allowable for others when considering drinking & driving. My point is, you don't need to drink to know what can come of it. I never said that having one drink will cause you to go out and kill a group of innocent teenagers.

You referenced his post, in which he said "a drink," not multiple drinks.

I'm also interested in your millions of deaths caused by it. I'm assuming you're not talking out of your ass and can provide a source for your claim.

Just to help you out a little, the number of alcohol related fatalities in the US in 2006 for the range of alcohol we're talking about (.01-.07 BAC) is 2,535.
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,466

Post#74 » by Blame Rasho » Mon Aug 4, 2008 3:42 pm

It takes alot of drinks to get a 6'6 240 guy tipsy...
JoshB914
Head Coach
And1: 2

Post#75 » by JoshB914 » Mon Aug 4, 2008 3:47 pm

I can't believe this has gone so far. The cops pulled over a black guy driving a nice car (standard) and then let him go when they couldn't nail him for anything other than an illegal lane change. This is just typical BS from the police.
TonyMontana
RealGM
And1: 398

Post#76 » by TonyMontana » Mon Aug 4, 2008 4:14 pm

I think the cops pulled Pierce over just to tell him that he's actually not as good as he thinks he is.........LOLLLL
BitonKOBE
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#77 » by BitonKOBE » Mon Aug 4, 2008 5:55 pm

It takes alot of drinks to get a 6'6 240 guy tipsy...

thats pretty irrelevant, so far as i can tell
bigbreakfast
Sixth Man
And1: 628

Post#78 » by bigbreakfast » Mon Aug 4, 2008 5:59 pm

cop must've let him go coz he's the best basketball player in the world...

Return to The General Board