Mario Chalmers/Darrell Arthur suspended

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

jack_mack50
Ballboy
And1: 0

Re: Mario Chalmers/Darrell Arthur suspended 

Post#101 » by jack_mack50 » Thu Sep 4, 2008 5:10 am

It's about doing it at an NBA organised event that is supposed to stop them from doing this sort of stuff that's why people are saying suspension. 3 games seems fine to me.
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,476

Post#102 » by Ballings7 » Thu Sep 4, 2008 5:18 am

Wilbon's just an idiot if he really thinks it should be 50 games

Wild.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
WesWesley
General Manager
And1: 5

Post#103 » by WesWesley » Thu Sep 4, 2008 5:33 am

They should be suspended for getting caught, not for actually having weed on them.

I mean, you really gotta suck to get caught for smoking weed at that convention.

It's like getting caught for blazing on a school field trip when there are teachers and principals who will throw the book at you lurking all over the place...
5:26 LAC - B. Davis misses a layup
Malinhion
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#104 » by Malinhion » Thu Sep 4, 2008 5:43 am

Who cares? I'm tired of people who want to be so ignorant about a huge part of American culture. Don't bitch about athletes not speaking their mind when Josh Howard drops a little bit of common knowledge and he's ostracized by nearly everyone. Don't ask for the truth if you're too obsessed with being PC to handle it.

Smoke if you want to, drink if you want to. It's your own life. All I care is that you ball on the court.

It's nobody's damn business on here what these guys do with their private life. Sure, carrying at an NBA function is stupid. But if you took a group of law students or med students in their early 20s and sent them to an event at a hotel in NYC, how many do you think would have drugs despite its chance to ruin their future? A lot. It goes through every profession. It is human nature to do what you want, and a social setting with wealthy young people just encourages it more.
SmushedPennies
Analyst
And1: 211

Post#105 » by SmushedPennies » Thu Sep 4, 2008 10:02 am

Jase wrote:
Brando13 wrote:you guys are making way too big a deal out of this...

Not so much. It shows poor decision making on their part. If they're giving in to this kind of stuff before the preseason even starts, how are they going to handle the temptations of the regular season?

lol...what? They'll be pretty pre-occupied with basketball when the pre-season/season start. They're probably doing this because its the OFF season.
ImageImage
SmushedPennies
Analyst
And1: 211

Post#106 » by SmushedPennies » Thu Sep 4, 2008 10:08 am

A lot of you guys aren't getting this. Its not about marijuana. That part of it slipped into the initial reports and was taken to be the reason they were sent home.

The official reason, whether we're to believe it or not, is that they had guests in the room (girls) that they weren't supposed to. The way they found out about the guests was because the cops were called due to the odor of marijuana coming from the room. No pot was found when the cops got there. Beasley may have been in the room, in the cloud of MJ, but it wasn't his room, so he's not responsible for the guests.
ImageImage
cwas2882
General Manager
And1: 5,802

Post#107 » by cwas2882 » Thu Sep 4, 2008 11:48 am

Suspend them 50 games, that's a good idea. Then they'll have nothing to do but sit around and get high
Rasheeed!!!
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,507

Post#108 » by Rasheeed!!! » Thu Sep 4, 2008 12:08 pm

If the NBA truly wants to improve the behaviour of its players it will need some outrageous punishments for small offenses. 50 games w/o pay for a DUI or weed would pretty much eliminate the 2 problems although the Players Union would never go for it.
BubbaTee
Head Coach
And1: 546

Post#109 » by BubbaTee » Thu Sep 4, 2008 4:14 pm

Malinhion wrote:It's nobody's damn business on here what these guys do with their private life. Sure, carrying at an NBA function is stupid. But if you took a group of law students or med students in their early 20s and sent them to an event at a hotel in NYC, how many do you think would have drugs despite its chance to ruin their future? A lot. It goes through every profession. It is human nature to do what you want, and a social setting with wealthy young people just encourages it more.

When a player's private life affects his team and the league, it becomes their business.

Personally, I don't care if people do weed. I don't really care if they do coke or meth or hit themselves in the face with a hammer all day long either. But I'm not in charge of a PR-obsessed multi-billion dollar business, either. I haven't invested guaranteed money in players when the league has a history of suspending players for drug infractions.

This is definitely an issue to the 2 teams those guys belong to. If they're smart, they'll stop it now before it becomes a bigger issue.

Or maybe they'll both suck and no one will care if they get suspended because when you're getting all DNP-CDs anyways, do suspensions even matter?
Jsun947
Analyst
And1: 425

Post#110 » by Jsun947 » Thu Sep 4, 2008 6:16 pm

Malinhion wrote:Who cares? I'm tired of people who want to be so ignorant about a huge part of American culture. Don't bitch about athletes not speaking their mind when Josh Howard drops a little bit of common knowledge and he's ostracized by nearly everyone. Don't ask for the truth if you're too obsessed with being PC to handle it.

Smoke if you want to, drink if you want to. It's your own life. All I care is that you ball on the court.

It's nobody's damn business on here what these guys do with their private life. Sure, carrying at an NBA function is stupid. But if you took a group of law students or med students in their early 20s and sent them to an event at a hotel in NYC, how many do you think would have drugs despite its chance to ruin their future? A lot. It goes through every profession. It is human nature to do what you want, and a social setting with wealthy young people just encourages it more.

Let me get this straight... What they do in their private life is their business and nobody elses?
So if they are smoking pot, using steroids, cocain, heroin, racing cars at 160 miles per hour, or any other activity it doesn't make a difference?

Does it make a difference to the NBA executives that have billions of dollars invested in their company?
Does it make a difference to the NBA owner who is paying that player millions of dollars to perform their sport at the highest of levels?
Does it make a difference to the City the player plays in who has millions of dollars invested in that team?

I think what they do on the private time has a great importance to the people who have money invested or the fan base of that team. They shouldn't be conducting ANY form of illegal activity or doing anything that could be unhealthy, dangerous, anti-productive, or in the worst case deadly which would have a negetive impact on their career, their team, their city, or the NBA.

There is more money invested in these players then you will ever see in your life time. Bet your ass people care.
magicfan4life05
RealGM
And1: 198

Post#111 » by magicfan4life05 » Thu Sep 4, 2008 11:48 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3569725

uh ohhhhhhh they got a call from the chancellor!
Dwight Howard on his FT struggles:

"I just think everybody needs to stop talking about it," Howard said. "There's more to life than free throws."
maxwellcu
Bench Warmer
And1: 532

Post#112 » by maxwellcu » Fri Sep 5, 2008 12:08 am

Why do people still care about this? Stern is being reported to have been "furious" -- seriously? It's weed. We've all smoked it at least once.

These gentlemen probably could have been more discrete about their activities but to label them problem players, thugs, or bad people because of this sort of offense is really asinine. Stern and the NBA are overly concerned about image. Refs altering games is (understandably) swept under the rug and largely ignored as much as possible, but players smoking marijuana is a capital offense.
Copperhead
Lead Assistant
And1: 55

Post#113 » by Copperhead » Fri Sep 5, 2008 12:18 am

maxwellcu wrote:Why do people still care about this? Stern is being reported to have been "furious" -- seriously? It's weed. We've all smoked it at least once.

These gentlemen probably could have been more discrete about their activities but to label them problem players, thugs, or bad people because of this sort of offense is really asinine. Stern and the NBA are overly concerned about image. Refs altering games is (understandably) swept under the rug and largely ignored as much as possible, but players smoking marijuana is a capital offense.

:lol: I like how you to try to speak for everyone "We've all smoked it at least once". :roll:

The thing is, the rookie program ......

"is required of all newcomers entering the league and focuses on issues such as life skills, handling finances, the importance of character and image, the difference between NBA and NCAA game rules, legal matters and dealing with media."

YOU DON'T PICK THIS TIME AND PLACE TO DO DRUGS!!!!!!

Maybe I should've read through this thread more carefully but I didn't see anyone calling them thugs, or problem players but it is understandable for them to be called foolish, dummies, and idiots because whether "everyone does it or not", there's a time and a place and this was neither the time nor the place. Neither has even played their first real NBA game. Playing in the NBA is a privilege that many guys don't get. They should begin their careers on a better note.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#114 » by JWizmentality » Fri Sep 5, 2008 1:04 am

maxwellcu wrote: We've all smoked it at least once.

I haven't, and I'd appreciate if you didn't lump me into your crowd.
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Post#115 » by Flash3 » Fri Sep 5, 2008 1:06 am

maxwellcu wrote:Why do people still care about this? Stern is being reported to have been "furious" -- seriously? It's weed. We've all smoked it at least once.

Because it is ILLEGAL! Plain and Simple!

I personally don't care if everyone and their 2nd mother is smoking pot, those people are probably not representing the NBA and getting paid millions for it, but that's besides the point.

Ugh! -- This "it's only weed" comment is mind numbingly (Please Use More Appropriate Word)! -- It is ILLEGAL, simple. JUST DON'T DO IT!
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
dreamcloud
Analyst
And1: 464

Post#116 » by dreamcloud » Fri Sep 5, 2008 1:10 am

**Post Edited**

No Back Seat Moderating. -- That is AGAINST the terms of service you agreed to upon signing up here.
91siccx
Junior

Post#117 » by 91siccx » Fri Sep 5, 2008 1:15 am

JWizmentality wrote:

LOL

this guy got a avatar of bob marley with a spliff in his mouth and he's acting salty like "don't include me in your crowd" *puts nose up then throws on some reggae*
Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,466

Post#118 » by Blame Rasho » Fri Sep 5, 2008 1:24 am

I have gotten some good LOLs in this thread. In the end it just shows their absolute lack of professionalism. People can try and excuse them, but they aren't kids. It was extremely stupid judgment and I think the NBA should take this very seriously given that they were caught in a NBA event.
blazersmaniac8
Analyst

Post#119 » by blazersmaniac8 » Fri Sep 5, 2008 2:19 am

91siccx wrote:
JWizmentality wrote:

LOL

this guy got a avatar of bob marley with a spliff in his mouth and he's acting salty like "don't include me in your crowd" *puts nose up then throws on some reggae*

:rofl2:
hahahhahaahahah I was thinkig the exact same thing. Heres the thing I do weed and personally I feel it is the same thing as people that drink until they get drunk. But agreed that this is a BIG deal because although some ppl don't have a problem with weed it's still negative pr and they should have had better sense. Only thing I can think of is that they both haven't seen each other all summer and wanted to relive their college days. But come on IF your that stupid 2 do it (ugh) at least be lower profile. I think a 5 game suspension is reasonable and both players (maybe beasley also) need 2 realize that their actions are going to be magnified ALOT more now that they are in the NBA.
theTHIEF
RealGM
And1: 214

Post#120 » by theTHIEF » Fri Sep 5, 2008 2:28 am

personal opinions and experiences with the substance in question are entirely irreverent in this discussion... the issue is that on top of being illegal, this violates NBA and team policy, period...you purportedly broke a rule (at your first major function as a rookie no less) that your employer has in place...right or wrong, if you cannot follow the small simple rules, why on earth would I want you as the face of my business? it's really that simple...end of story...pride and respect continue to fall by the wayside,...get'em Stern...

Return to The General Board