What Season of Your Favorite Team were you most excited ....

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

GuyverX
Head Coach
And1: 4,158

Re: What Season of Your Favorite Team were you most excited .... 

Post#16 » by GuyverX » Thu Sep 4, 2008 8:18 pm

Clippers '05-06. After signing the biggest free agent in Clipper history at the time in Cuttino Mobley (yeah, bad contract and all but it's true) and then trading Jaric for Cassell, Clipper fans pretty much knew it would be the beginning of at least a solid team that can compete. Sure enough, the team made the playoffs for the first time in 9 years and made history by advancing past the first round since the Buffalo Braves days. They would've made the Western Conference Finals if not for one Raja Bell three over rookie Daniel Ewing. :banghead:

The following season held high expectations but the team was destroyed by injuries.
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#17 » by meatball sub » Thu Sep 4, 2008 8:41 pm

07-08.
Shuttlesworth
Starter
And1: 7

Post#18 » by Shuttlesworth » Thu Sep 4, 2008 9:03 pm

06-07 Phoenix... Amare's back and we had went to the Conference Finals the past 2 years.

Sadly we met up with The Spurs.
MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,331

Post#19 » by MagicMadness » Thu Sep 4, 2008 9:39 pm

GuyverX wrote:After signing the biggest free agent in Clipper history at the time in Cuttino Mobley...

:o

Is this really true? There's no way Cuttino Mobley is (was) the biggest free agent signing in Clippers history...right?

I mean, I know they've been a bad, bad team for a long, long time, but...that's just sad if Mobley was the biggest name to ever come to the team (before Davis)...
Carmelo Anthony
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#20 » by Carmelo Anthony » Thu Sep 4, 2008 10:07 pm

GreenWithEnvy wrote:Its gotta be this year. Ive been a die hard Sixers fan since 2000 and i can't remember a year with more hope. Theres finally a low post presence since Barkley. Iguodala and Lou continue to get better. Thad is a starter in this league. On paper there are only 2 MAYBE 3 teams in the East that look better but that doesn't always translate to the court.

Id have to agree with you, my hope was high for the team when we went to the finals, I'm one of those people who believe one move can make a difference even if it's not for a superstar and getting dikembe gave me so much hope.

But this season is different, I believe if each player lives up to their potential and hype that this team could be amazing. I followed Louis Williams in Highschool because there was a posibilty he would go to syracuse before he opted to go to the NBA, and even then i thought he could be a superstar. I think this season he will play much above expectation. We have all the right pieces, it just depends on if they mesh.
Walk the city lonely
Memories that haunt are passing by
A murderer walks your streets tonight
Forgive me for my crimes;don't forget that I was so young
Fought so scared in the name of God and Country
GuyverX
Head Coach
And1: 4,158

Post#21 » by GuyverX » Thu Sep 4, 2008 10:13 pm

MagicMadness wrote:
GuyverX wrote:After signing the biggest free agent in Clipper history at the time in Cuttino Mobley...

:o

Is this really true? There's no way Cuttino Mobley is (was) the biggest free agent signing in Clippers history...right?

I mean, I know they've been a bad, bad team for a long, long time, but...that's just sad if Mobley was the biggest name to ever come to the team (before Davis)...

It's true unless somebody wants to add any previous players. I'm not familiar with the Buffalo Braves or any players who are that old school but before Baron, Mobley was the biggest FA signing in L.A. Clippers history. Sad but true. We had to overpay at $42 million/5yrs to get him too but I think it set a nice precedent with where Donald Sterling and his wallet is at. This is why the last few years have been a real turning point for this franchise even though people are quick to say "same old Clippers." Sterling has been trying to put a winning team together since the end of '04.

Baron Davis is the first star player to ever want to put on a Clippers uniform voluntarily.
dalekjazz
Sixth Man
And1: 2
Location: Karl Malone Quote: "Anybody not wearing a Utah Jazz jersey is the enemy."

Post#22 » by dalekjazz » Thu Sep 4, 2008 10:25 pm

Jazz 1988-1989. After shocking the world and taking the mighty Lakers with Magic, Kareem, etc. to seven games in the second round, the Jazz (for the first and probably only time) were the media darlings and predicted by many experts to reach the finals against the Bad Boy Pistons (which would have been at the time a matchup of the two best defensive, physically tough teams in the NBA, a matchup I would have loved to see instead of the soft NBA we see now). The Jazz had the second best record in the Western Conference. Unfortunately they met the Warriors who as an 7th seed were a bad matchup and used their quickness as an advantage against the Jazz size and lack of depth. The Jazz were swept in the first round 3-0, the only time the Jazz have ever been swept in the playoffs.
fivas14
Banned User

Post#23 » by fivas14 » Thu Sep 4, 2008 10:33 pm

Since I've only been alive for 15 years the last three seasons come by.

(Jazz)
Paladin55
Junior

Post#24 » by Paladin55 » Thu Sep 4, 2008 10:42 pm

69-70 Knicks...

I was old enough to understand the greatness of the team, and young enough for everything to matter.

They had proved themselves to be contenders the previous year after the Debusschere trade transformed them, and there was a lot of anticipation that they could win it all. Everything ended up working like a fairytale, including the amazing finals victory over the Lakers and all the drama surrounding Reed and his injury.
All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher.... Ambrose Bierce
Point forward
Head Coach
And1: 285

Post#25 » by Point forward » Thu Sep 4, 2008 10:59 pm

BOS: 2007-8 hands down

DAL: when Dirk got drafted
Jogi Löw to Mario Götze wrote:Show the world that you are better than Messi.
edfmx86
Club Captain- MLS Soccer
And1: 199

Post#26 » by edfmx86 » Thu Sep 4, 2008 11:15 pm

ive never been excited for a season more than i have dreaded the season that begun our post stockton=malone era. Now that the jazz have climbed back into competition, im looking forward to every season, knowing Deron Williams can only get better.
Dtown84
Sixth Man
And1: 218

Post#27 » by Dtown84 » Thu Sep 4, 2008 11:47 pm

DET 04-05 Defending Champs with just about everyone coming back, plus full year of Sheed, and at this point we still thought there was hope for Darko.
jack_mack50
Ballboy

Post#28 » by jack_mack50 » Fri Sep 5, 2008 1:44 am

This season... Roy, Oden and LMA together
Spicy P
RealGM
And1: 5,858

Post#29 » by Spicy P » Fri Sep 5, 2008 2:01 am

2001 offseason when the Raptors signed Hakeem Olajuwon
nycballer718
Sixth Man

Post#30 » by nycballer718 » Fri Sep 5, 2008 2:09 am

for the heat the 04-05 season to me cause of acquiring shaq.
jeffhardyfan52
General Manager
And1: 596

Post#31 » by jeffhardyfan52 » Fri Sep 5, 2008 3:58 am

this season nothing comes close
He’s not (my-vydas), he’s not (your-vydas), he’s Arvydas

barkley34
Veteran

Post#32 » by barkley34 » Fri Sep 5, 2008 6:14 am

1983, we already had been in the finals 1980, 1982 and lost to LA both times. We added Moses that summer and we were really hyped going into that season.
ChrisTheFuturePaul
Veteran
And1: 104

Post#33 » by ChrisTheFuturePaul » Fri Sep 5, 2008 6:58 am

For the Hornets I was most hyped when we drafted Alonzo, had L.J, Muggsy, Dell Curry, wasnt gonna be a championship contender then and there, but I just felt we'd gotten the best PF/C combo in the league and it was only a matter of time, haha, still waiting!
KiDdFrESh
General Manager
And1: 46

Post#34 » by KiDdFrESh » Sat Sep 6, 2008 12:28 am

I'm a die hard fan so im PUMPED for every season whether its going to be good, bad, or just ugly. But my favorite years were

93-94
94-95
97-98

99-00

Last year and this one
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 964

Post#35 » by mojomarc » Sat Sep 6, 2008 2:46 am

For Portland, I'd have to say this is the second most anticipated season. 1977-78 was the most antiicpated because the predictions were that we would repeat and the dynasty would be on. Almost happened--50-10 record through 60 games--but injuries to Walton and Gross doomed us.

Return to The General Board