Celtics announcer: Biggest homer in the league

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

TommyPoints
Head Coach
And1: 4,146

Re: Celtics announcer: Biggest homer in the league 

Post#61 » by TommyPoints » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:19 pm

I'm sure some of you might actually remember that Tommy once did do some broadcasting nationally and he was very unbiased doing that job. Since he is the Celts guy you get a fan calling the game pretty much and as a C's fan I dont have a problem with that. Of course fans of other teams will get annoyed, but I am pretty sure tommy couldn't care less.
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#62 » by greenbeans » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:53 pm

Tommys been with the Celts since the 50's. I'd hope he's a homer
Jmonty580
General Manager
And1: 407

Post#63 » by Jmonty580 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:57 pm

mrfatwrecker wrote:Did you hear him just now?

Perkins elbowed Chandler in the face, blatantly, and they called an offensive foul.

Tommy: Oh my that is terrible, THAT IS TERRIBLE!!!!

I hate this guy

ROFL, he had me thinking i missed something. Then when I saw the replay they were so quiet lol and it was clearly a foul on Perkins. Its just that one though, the other i feel like he is sitting there like, I wish this other guy would shut up. Pretty bad because he feeds directly into the stereo type that people have of Bostonians lol. The guy is HORRIBLE, i dont understand how he has a job.

He may be an ex player, ex coach, whatever, but his talk on air is nothing short of ignorant. Maybe ignorance is acceptable in Boston (a cultural thing).

He reminds me of CT from the real world ha ha.
bostonfan34
Bench Warmer
And1: 12

Post#64 » by bostonfan34 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:17 pm

It comes down to this... he's been with the Celts forever and we know he's a homer, but it's entertainment. He provides some nice insight, but usually just entertains.. his partner, Mike Gorman, is awesome, and tries to provide some balance.
Zerostatic
General Manager
And1: 537

Post#65 » by Zerostatic » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:24 pm

I remember a couple of years back, he said Vitaly Potapenko was going to be one of the best centers in the league because Shaq would soon be declining and that there was no one else who was up and coming. I was watching the game and I was yelling at the TV. I was like "WTF is wrong with you!"
BubbaTee
Head Coach
And1: 546

Post#66 » by BubbaTee » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:34 pm

Cammo101 wrote:
obinna wrote:
Cammo101 wrote:The Thunder announcers are pretty bad too.

What do you expect. Oklahoma City basketball announcers? That just doesn't sound right. They are probably reading Basketball for Dummies as we speak.

While watching the Magic Thunder game a week or so ago, they refered to Jeff Green and Russell Westbrook multiple times as superstars. Westbrook was 0-11 at the time with 7 of his shots blocked by Dwight Howard. :roll:

Agree, this is what separates the Thunder from Heinsohn. Homerism is one thing, being outright delusional is another.

Reminds me of the post-1998 Bulls announcers who would go around putting Eddie Robinson on the same level as Carter and McGrady every time "E-Rob" managed to make a free throw. That broadcast has gotten so much better just by kicking Red Kerr out of the booth - and that's with Stacey King still spending half the game talking about Oklahoma football.
Heat11114
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 99

Post#67 » by Heat11114 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:51 pm

I'm not too excited about the Raptors announcers either. We really don't need the enthusiasm of a shot to win the championship as we do the shot that puts you up 6-4 in game 9 of the regular season. Lakers announcers are horrible with this too, but it's only with Kobe
"To do what others can't you must do what others won't"
"People don't lack strength... They lack will"
Celtsfan1980
Assistant Coach
And1: 192

Post#68 » by Celtsfan1980 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:28 pm

Heinsohn has done a lot for the NBA Players Association, but nobody is mentioning that. It's a shame that a person like him who has done a lot for the NBA isn't respected for his work.
Nate505
RealGM
And1: 11,842

Post#69 » by Nate505 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:32 pm

KyleCleric wrote:Tommy only does home games now anyway. He is what he is. It's a different style than Chick Hearn, but it doesn't mean its better or worse. '

It does mean that he's 1,000x worse than Hearn. Hearn is the gold standard of announcers, while Tommy is the iron pyrite standard.

Homer announcers suck hard. Or let me rephrase that...whiny homer announcers with no sense of objectivity suck hard. The Jazz announcers may not be great in general, but the one thing they got going for them is that they are fairly objective in most cases. I don't understand how any basketball fan can tolerate homer announcers who cry about every call and make their scrubs out to be hall of famers. If the Jazz guys started to do that I would get irritated very quickly.
Celtsfan1980
Assistant Coach

Post#70 » by Celtsfan1980 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:32 pm

tbabyy924 wrote:Has he always been like this? I mean, was he like this when the Celtics were the bottom-feeders of the NBA?

Boston has won 15, 19, and 24 games in 3 seasons, but they've also made the playoffs for several seasons. They've been bad over time, but they certainly haven't been bottom-feeders close to that entire time. People just love to exaggerate about how bad Boston really was.
BubbaTee
Head Coach
And1: 546

Post#71 » by BubbaTee » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:40 pm

Celtsfan1980 wrote:Heinsohn has done a lot for the NBA Players Association, but nobody is mentioning that. It's a shame that a person like him who has done a lot for the NBA isn't respected for his work.

One thing's got nothing to do with the other.

Isaiah Thomas was one of the greatest PGs to ever play. Therefore, you can't criticize him for his work as a GM?
Mattya
RealGM
And1: 6,351

Post#72 » by Mattya » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:40 pm

Celtsfan1980 wrote:Heinsohn has done a lot for the NBA Players Association, but nobody is mentioning that. It's a shame that a person like him who has done a lot for the NBA isn't respected for his work.

Just because he has done a lot for the nba, doesn't make his broadcasting, one of the most biasest, and most annoying in the league, I'm glad i don't have to listen to him.

The thread is about his broadcasting, not what he did in the nba as a player and coach
yellowsub264
Senior
And1: 149

Post#73 » by yellowsub264 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:41 pm

i think that the warriors announcers are just as bad, but i thought the best were last years for the sonics, RIP.
God gave me a passion for basketball that burns inside of me like that of a venereal disease
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 41,139

Post#74 » by Sedale Threatt » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:41 pm

greenbeans wrote:Tommys been with the Celts since the 50's. I'd hope he's a homer

As previously stated, Chick Hearn was with the Lakers for more than 40 years, and he wasn't a homer. Tenure isn't an exuse for ignorance.
Celtsfan1980
Assistant Coach

Post#75 » by Celtsfan1980 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:15 pm

BubbaTee wrote:

Isaiah Thomas was one of the greatest PGs to ever play. Therefore, you can't criticize him for his work as a GM?

Doing a lot of good for the NBA is different than being a good player. If Isiah had done a lot of good for the league, I would have said something too, but I don't recall that happening.
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#76 » by greenbeans » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:20 pm

Mattya wrote:Just because he has done a lot for the nba, doesn't make his broadcasting, one of the most biasest, and most annoying in the league, I'm glad i don't have to listen to him.
HarlemHeat37
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#77 » by HarlemHeat37 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:23 pm

he's funny as hell though..I would hate to lose the chance of listening to him..

he's a Celtics announcer, he's supposed to appeal to Celtics fans..he's doing his job..

like Cowology said, he isn't a National announcer..there's a big difference between a National TV announcer that is supposed to appeal to everybody, and a local announcer that is an actual fan of one of the teams..
amb1ent
Veteran
And1: 17

Post#78 » by amb1ent » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:31 pm

did someone really favorably compare heinsohn with arguably basketball's greatest broadcaster?

...wow.
RapZilla
Starter
And1: 1,130

Post#79 » by RapZilla » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:37 pm

Local announcers are usually at least somewhat biased, its a fact. Someone has to be the worst homer.... and Heinsohn is the worst. Forget his accolades and his history, that shouldn't make up for his ignorance. He's basically a big joke to everyone but himself (which is sorta sad). Anyway it shouldn't bother you because all local announcers are pulling for their team, but like I said... someone has to be the worst.
Credit to Turbo_Zone
s e n s i
RealGM
And1: 3,564

Post#80 » by s e n s i » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:38 pm

Celtsfan1980 wrote:
BubbaTee wrote:

Doing a lot of good for the NBA is different than being a good player. If Isiah had done a lot of good for the league, I would have said something too, but I don't recall that happening.

So because he's done good for the league, it gives him leeway to be the epitome of homerism?

I guess it's the same reason why KG does no wrong. He's intense.
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).

Return to The General Board