It's official: Spain has been robbed in the Olympic Final

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Wrighteous
Banned User
And1: 0

Re: It's official: Spain has been robbed in the Olympic Final 

Post#41 » by Wrighteous » Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:41 pm

**** Spain. U-S-A bitches.
Toxicity
Analyst
And1: 39

Post#42 » by Toxicity » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:10 pm

USA players traveling all the time? Where's the new here?!? :lol:
SabasRevenge!
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#43 » by SabasRevenge! » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:24 pm

The two games against Spain were probably indicative of what an extended series would look like.

A few blowout US wins, a few close-ish US wins (<12 points), a couple of tight games, and a Spanish maybe one out of ten games.

They could have beaten the US team, but it would have taken the stars aligning just right for Spain. If the US team plays 20+ games against international competition, they're bound to have a few down games. If it were an 82 game season against international competition? 75+ wins and from zero to two losses in the playoffs. No way the US team would lose a seven game series to any international team.

That's not arrogance, it's being honest with ourselves.

...and just stay on topic, stop crying like a little b*, the US team was far and away the best team in the tourney.
ilikecb4
Assistant Coach
And1: 4

Post#44 » by ilikecb4 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:56 pm

yeah i watched the game

no one was robbed

you're not very intelligent

dont tell me sergio rodrigez doesnt carry...half those players play in NBA anyways
salaner
Pro Prospect

Post#45 » by salaner » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:55 pm

Brilliant thread, this. So many intelligent things spewed out by so many intelligent people with a deep knowledge and dine apprehension of the subject matter at hand. I'm awed.

Yet -minor point perhaps. Not one has mentioned the crux of the matter: FIBA travelling rules are quite different from NBA travelling rules, and when you play a FIBA tournament you should adapt to FIBA rules, just like non-American players adapt to NBA rules when playing in the NBA.

What Ms. Julien is heavily hinting at is that in Beijing refs got instructions not to apply FIBA rules to the American team so as not to ruin the great Redeem show. Therefore, the same type of game-fixing accusations that have often been levelled against David Stern are now being levelled, possibly for the first time, against Patrick Baumann. (That's the FIBA boss, just in case all of you who are deep into international ball and know so much about it weren't aware of it.) And the accuser is more qualified than most people who in the past have accused Stern - she's a FIBA ref who was in Beijing and called the US-Germany game. Intriguing stuff. The rest - Spain being bad or good, etcetera, is really besides the point. The opoint is referee manipulation in FIBA tournaments.
lurkingobeiscity
Assistant Coach

Post#46 » by lurkingobeiscity » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:46 pm

olimpiks are dumb
Enetric wrote:Although Brook is close....despite the fact that he may be the weirdest guy in the league. Love the voice...(one time...me and Robin were in a tickle fight...and I was like...Robin...stop teasing me...)
repLicante
Sophomore

Post#47 » by repLicante » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:53 pm

salaner wrote:Brilliant thread, this. So many intelligent things spewed out by so many intelligent people with a deep knowledge and dine apprehension of the subject matter at hand. I'm awed.

Yet -minor point perhaps. Not one has mentioned the crux of the matter: FIBA travelling rules are quite different from NBA travelling rules, and when you play a FIBA tournament you should adapt to FIBA rules, just like non-American players adapt to NBA rules when playing in the NBA.

What Ms. Julien is heavily hinting at is that in Beijing refs got instructions not to apply FIBA rules to the American team so as not to ruin the great Redeem show. Therefore, the same type of game-fixing accusations that have often been levelled against David Stern are now being levelled, possibly for the first time, against Patrick Baumann. (That's the FIBA boss, just in case all of you who are deep into international ball and know so much about it weren't aware of it.) And the accuser is more qualified than most people who in the past have accused Stern - she's a FIBA ref who was in Beijing and called the US-Germany game. Intriguing stuff. The rest - Spain being bad or good, etcetera, is really besides the point. The opoint is referee manipulation in FIBA tournaments.

No matter how you argue your case, this kind of threads are destined for a load of crap and nonsenses by some kiddos unable to discuss a topic like this in a proper way.
In the end all you will get is a few "f**k Spain" and some "Get over it" while completely missing the point of the blog post.

Buen post salaner.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,111
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#48 » by NO-KG-AI » Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:04 pm

Give me a break, the refs were looking for anything to call on the US. Just accept the talent disparity between us and the rest of the world, and we can move on. Just think if the two best big men in the world would have played, ouch.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
pustoolio
Junior
And1: 37

Post#49 » by pustoolio » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:09 pm

Just think if that game was officiated under FIBA rules, ouch.
Nothingface
Assistant Coach
And1: 8

Post#50 » by Nothingface » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:41 pm

Ha, big surprise.

I think they just gave the USA this victory for old times sake.
I do what I feel, not because people ask me to do this,” Bargnani says, holding his hands over his head and doing a strange chicken dance.
Farm Raid
Starter

Post#51 » by Farm Raid » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:45 pm

Good god, the USA team was better than any other team because (wait for it) the country actually sent some of it's best players (and no, not all of it's best players).

Why make excuses? Who cares about FIBA rules? The Swedish or French or Croatians or whoever can win all the world championships and Olympic tournaments until the year 3000 for all I care. The NBA is the only league that matters for now and for the foreseeable future. Sorry.
eiffrit
Freshman

Post#52 » by eiffrit » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:25 pm

Farm Raid wrote:Good god, the USA team was better than any other team because (wait for it) the country actually sent some of it's best players (and no, not all of it's best players).

Why make excuses? Who cares about FIBA rules? The Swedish or French or Croatians or whoever can win all the world championships and Olympic tournaments until the year 3000 for all I care. The NBA is the only league that matters for now and for the foreseeable future. Sorry.

where's my redneck detector?
Wade2k6
RealGM
And1: 77

Post#53 » by Wade2k6 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:30 pm

you fiba rule fanboys are ridiculous. The Americans are vastly superior talent wise then any other country in the world. Put Duncan, KG on that team and they're even better.
Geddy
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 78,609

Post#54 » by Geddy » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:52 pm

still chirping about Spain getting screwed over? Talk about sour grapes...
Inevitable wrote:Geddy is a good mod actually
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,047

Post#55 » by loserX » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:54 pm

What's the fuss all about? The USA was a better team and probably would have won anyway, but they certainly got preferential calls, and if the shoe had been on the other foot I doubt many posters in this thread would be so laid-back about it.

Farm Raid wrote:Why make excuses? Who cares about FIBA rules? The Swedish or French or Croatians or whoever can win all the world championships and Olympic tournaments until the year 3000 for all I care. The NBA is the only league that matters for now and for the foreseeable future. Sorry.

Why are you even in this thread, then? FIBA tournaments should be called by FIBA rules.
Batu7
Starter
And1: 248

Post#56 » by Batu7 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:55 pm

IIRC, the game was very close(Should be 5 points) until the final minutes when Kobe made a four point play, which was also Rudy's 5th foul. The Spaniards made another three, but someone on the USA team answered and that put the game away. It could have gone different maybe, but there is no point in arguing now.
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious."

- Vince Lombardi
Cybulski37
Bench Warmer
And1: 9

Post#57 » by Cybulski37 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:58 pm

I'm pretty sure I remember some calls going Spain's way, too. It was early and I was tired as hell though, so I'm not 100%. I do remember the entire Spanish bench should have been ejected for multiple technicals though.
warriorfan650 wrote:Baron Davis = 2 All Star Games Played.
Jonathan Bender = 2 Games Played.

Owned!
Farm Raid
Starter

Post#58 » by Farm Raid » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:46 pm

eiffrit wrote:
Farm Raid wrote:Good god, the USA team was better than any other team because (wait for it) the country actually sent some of it's best players (and no, not all of it's best players).

where's my redneck detector?

Did I hurt your feelings? I actually grew up on the South Side of Chicago. I'm sorry that I don't care about basketball in Europe. Guess what? I didn't care about the World League of American Football there and I don't care about the CBA or Arena League here or the American Association here. I'm not into second tier sports leagues- I guess that makes me a redneck. Here I come Jeff Foxworthy, and I'll start watching NASCAR, eating okra, and wearing coveralls along when I get there!

I'm here, loserX, because these threads are all about the same thing: If only this and this and we would've beaten you because you're not really the better team! Well, no the US was the better team and will basically continue to be for quite some time given the talent levels of the various basketball playing countries. It'll be an outlier for another team to be better, not the other way around.
Laker at Heart
Junior
And1: 2

Post#59 » by Laker at Heart » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:12 pm

Farm Raid wrote:I'm here, loserX, because these threads are all about the same thing: If only this and this and we would've beaten you because you're not really the better team! Well, no the US was the better team and will basically continue to be for quite some time given the talent levels of the various basketball playing countries. It'll be an outlier for another team to be better, not the other way around.

Please, try to find a single post in this thread that says "Spain would have won if it wasn't for the refs". I BEG you.

No one said that, the thread is basically a news link of a referee ADMITTING that they didnt use the same rules for USA and the rest of the teams and then 123412 posters saying "**** Spain". You are the bitter ones that seem to have the need to insult other countries to reaffirm your own superiority just in case someone thinks the refs carried you.
Joana
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#60 » by Joana » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:51 pm

salaner wrote:Brilliant thread, this. So many intelligent things spewed out by so many intelligent people with a deep knowledge and dine apprehension of the subject matter at hand. I'm awed.

Good post.

However, I think Chantal needs to provide some evidence, or more sound information about this issue. I agree she's "hinting" they received instructions, but that's not enough. Why were the refs allowing the US players to play the first step a la NBA? Elphinston or Baumann talked to them? Or was it their own decision to call the game that way? Or it's the case that some refs, including her, simply didn't have the courage to call Kobe Bryant for travel violations?

Return to The General Board