It's official: Spain has been robbed in the Olympic Final

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Patterns
Banned User
And1: 18

Re: It's official: Spain has been robbed in the Olympic Final 

Post#61 » by Patterns » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:52 pm

Spain got robbed?

How about the fact that every time an American player touched Juan Carlos Navarro, it was a foul. Near the end of the game, Kobe couldn't even touch him and Navarro was having a layup drill. You're telling me that Kobe can't guard Navarro?
loserX
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - NBA TnT Forum
And1: 26,047

Post#62 » by loserX » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:20 pm

Laker at Heart wrote:
Farm Raid wrote:I'm here, loserX, because these threads are all about the same thing: If only this and this and we would've beaten you because you're not really the better team! Well, no the US was the better team and will basically continue to be for quite some time given the talent levels of the various basketball playing countries. It'll be an outlier for another team to be better, not the other way around.

Please, try to find a single post in this thread that says "Spain would have won if it wasn't for the refs". I BEG you.

No one said that, the thread is basically a news link of a referee ADMITTING that they didnt use the same rules for USA and the rest of the teams and then 123412 posters saying "**** Spain".

Pretty much.

This isn't an anti-American thread. It's a thread about a public admission of bad refereeing that favoured one side. When the Donaghy allegations came up, there was much discussion about the infamous Kings/Lakers series that had been years prior. I am neither American nor Spanish, and frankly don't care a whole lot about the outcome of a single game...but I am dismayed that a high official for such a tournament publicly admitted biased refereeing. That's a black mark on the integrity of the sport no matter who was playing whom.

There's no need for chest-thumping. If there's a universal truth here, it seems only to be this: it's a lot easier to be dismissive of unfairness when your team is the one that benefitted from it.
Farm Raid
Starter
And1: 0

Post#63 » by Farm Raid » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:24 pm

Laker at Heart wrote:Please, try to find a single post in this thread that says "Spain would have won if it wasn't for the refs". I BEG you.

What is the implication behind this quote, for example?

pustoolio wrote:Just think if that game was officiated under FIBA rules, ouch.

But that's the subtext behind all these types of threads: Donaghy says the Kings-Lakers game was fixed!!! Why mention it if you're not suggesting that without that fixing the results would be different? There's no reason to, obviously. Same thing with this thread. Why mention it? Because the OP thinks things would've went differently otherwise. It doesn't need to be outright stated and it's not going to be. But you'd have to be an idiot not to see it, still.

No one said that, the thread is basically a news link of a referee ADMITTING that they didnt use the same rules for USA and the rest of the teams and then 123412 posters saying "**** Spain". You are the bitter ones that seem to have the need to insult other countries to reaffirm your own superiority just in case someone thinks the refs carried you.

I'm bitter? I didn't post once in the Olympic thread this summer. I didn't watch one, single Olympic basketball game involving any country. Olympic basketball is like Olympic bicycling- neither matter. If you're into bicycling you know the big kahuna there is the Tour De France (I'm not and even I know that). If you're into basketball you know the big kahuna is the NBA. Everything else is second tier.

So no, I'm not bitter because I didn't care enough to even watch Olympic basketball. I didn't bring it up THEN, I'm definitely not the one bringing it up MONTHS LATER. Someone is certainly bitter here, and it's the OP.
MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Post#64 » by MagicFan32 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Edit - Not acceptable. ~Cow
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
Cruel_Ruin
Head Coach
And1: 767
Location: The intersection of intellect, imagination and insanity

Post#65 » by Cruel_Ruin » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:57 pm

Laker at Heart wrote:
Please, try to find a single post in this thread that says "Spain would have won if it wasn't for the refs". I BEG you.

No one said that, the thread is basically a news link of a referee ADMITTING that they didnt use the same rules for USA and the rest of the teams and then 123412 posters saying "**** Spain". You are the bitter ones that seem to have the need to insult other countries to reaffirm your own superiority just in case someone thinks the refs carried you.

The title of this goddamned thread is "IT'S OFFICIAL: SPAIN HAS BEEN ROBBED!!!11one!!" That implies that Spain lost, not because Team USA was better, but because they were given preferential treatment from the FIBA refs. It's not even a "news link," it's a link to a blog which snipped a quote from a magazine out of context. I remember watching the game, and I don't remember seeing any dribbling violations from the U.S. team that would give them some superior advantage.

The world always likes to complain about American arrogance, but sometimes it's just calling the kettle black.
Laker at Heart
Junior
And1: 2

Post#66 » by Laker at Heart » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:10 am

Ok I will give you that the OP might have been implying we could have won without the officiating (which I dont necessarily agree with). It still doesnt warrant all the stupid bull thats going on in this thread (e.g. the poster above you).
Farm Raid
Starter

Post#67 » by Farm Raid » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:15 am

Laker at Heart wrote:Ok I will give you that the OP might have been implying we could have won without the officiating (which I dont necessarily agree with). It still doesnt warrant all the stupid bull thats going on in this thread (e.g. the poster above you).

It's MagicFan32- he's not in danger of impressing anyone with his intelligence ever anyway.
MagicFan32
RealGM

Post#68 » by MagicFan32 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:35 am

No **** THIS ****!!!

Those jerks have brought their SOCCER bull TO OUR sport.

I hope Spain did get cheated, and every euro country that has promoted flopping does as well.

You get what you deserve, and in 4 years the USA will overpower you to VICTORY again
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#69 » by Rasho Brezec » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:48 am

^^I'm just amazed that this guy still has an account.
MagicFan32
RealGM

Post#70 » by MagicFan32 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:05 am

Why because i'm sick of your guys bastardizing our game?
aol4532 on bill russell
Farm Raid
Starter

Post#71 » by Farm Raid » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:12 am

Because you seem like an idiot, probably. I dunno though, I dunno what Rasho really meant.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#72 » by miller31time » Sat Dec 27, 2008 3:08 am

Pretty poor posting from both sides of this argument (with exceptions, of course). It was a touchy subject to begin with but the posts in this thread certainly don't help matters. Lock.

Return to The General Board