Celtics - possible dynasty? Are they unstoppable?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

JustinT
Junior
And1: 10

Celtics - possible dynasty? Are they unstoppable? 

Post#1 » by JustinT » Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:59 am

Are they really that good? As good as their 27-2 record? Damn that is just insane. This team is the clear cut fav to win the championship (again) this year.
dreamcloud
Analyst
And1: 464

Re: Celtics - possible dynasty? Are they unstoppable? 

Post#2 » by dreamcloud » Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:33 am

They're pretty damn good.. A good chance at a 3-peat even with their Big 3 in prime still
stephanieg
Suspended
And1: 134

Post#3 » by stephanieg » Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:36 am

The only one who can stop them is Father Time.
KyleCleric
Rookie
And1: 57

Post#4 » by KyleCleric » Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:50 am

there is a lot more to prove. the team overall is a dynasty, a legacy. this group though has one championship. more could be asked of them.
Quiet-Storm
Lead Assistant
And1: 2

Post#5 » by Quiet-Storm » Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:56 am

They are starting to get a little long in the tooth.

Age will be a big factor in the years to come.

But like with most teams, the biggest danger is injury. With other teams, you have one or two guys who you absolutely cannot afford to lose to injury. But when you have 3 guys you cannot lose to injury then the risk that one of your key pieces comes down with an injury is fairly high. Example spurs.(Manu/Tim/Parker) Manu and Tim have had injury woes at different points in the past and its limited the spurs bigtime.
Harison
Starter
And1: 0

Post#6 » by Harison » Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:57 am

I agree with the dynasty term (as long as they are healthy and kicking), but they are stoppable (not atm, but in the near future). If Cavs get hot (or Lakers, for that matter) in Playoffs, they have a good chance beating Celtics, even though I think they are favourites.

In the next couple of years Big3 will get older and it will show, while LBJ will only get better (if no career ending injuries, God forbid). In ~2010 Lebron will get superstar sidekick (doesnt matter if in Cavs, Knicks, or w/e), and we'll have new dynasty, dominating NBA. Its also possible someone else will gather 2-3 superstars on one team instead (Howard with Paul or Wade, or...), and they are more than likely will change Celtics as favourites (again, maybe Ainge will manage another mega trade and reload the dynasty :wink:).
Who would win one-on-one in HORSE?

Bird: Nobody beats me in H-O-R-S-E. Besides, Magic cant shoot.

Magic: Larry, you'd have no chance against me one-on-one. I've got too many ways to beat you. Plus, as slow as I am, I'm still faster than you.

:lol:
doozyj
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,842

Post#7 » by doozyj » Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:13 am

Some reason I think we will see the Lakers vs. Cavs in the finals. Celtics run will be over IMHO.
Chubby Chaser
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#8 » by Chubby Chaser » Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:17 am

Wow, another Celtic thread. Exactly what we needed!. :cry: Too early for dynasty talk. They need to at least 3 peat to do that. They won't even defend last year's championship. They're going to be like the Pistons a few years ago when they had a great regular season but burned out once playoffs came and got eliminated.
shortodom
Veteran
And1: 57

Post#9 » by shortodom » Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:19 am

i agree, i don't think the Celtics make the finals. upsets happen and the Hawks and Cavs seem too play them pretty damn good.
Triple M
General Manager
And1: 2,760

Post#10 » by Triple M » Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:41 am

Chubby Chaser wrote:Wow, another Celtic thread. Exactly what we needed!. :cry: Too early for dynasty talk. They need to at least 3 peat to do that. They won't even defend last year's championship. They're going to be like the Pistons a few years ago when they had a great regular season but burned out once playoffs came and got eliminated.

The Pistons weren't burnt out they just ran into a hot Lebron James he practically stole game 5 in Det by him self with his crazy performance. I don't believe the Celtics will be burnt out KG plays 33 mins, Pierce and Ray 36 that is very manageable through the season. Anyways talking about a possible dynasty shouldn't start until they win another one this year.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#11 » by Manocad » Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:46 am

KyleCleric wrote:there is a lot more to prove. the team overall is a dynasty, a legacy. this group though has one championship. more could be asked of them.

Not even close. One championship doesn't equal dynasty/legacy.
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#12 » by meatball sub » Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:06 am

Can't talk about these Celts being a dynasty unless they win at least 3 titles in a 4 year span.
boogydown
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#13 » by boogydown » Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:14 am

I think Boston has it locked for 2009 and 2010. I just think KG is that good, Pierce is very good, and Allen just gives them that added man to take pressure off them. People don't realize, in 2010, they could grab another FA such as Dirk, Kidd, McGrady etc. and Allen may or may not take a paycut by then. Imagine that.

Only team that can beat them is a team with two very good stars. If Lebron joined a team with Bosh for example or Wade, that would be very tough to beat. Currently, Houston has the talent but not the chemistry, LA Im not sure has enough, Cleveland needs help down low, and the rest have even more flaws. Boston does not.
Storm Surge
General Manager
And1: 16

Post#14 » by Storm Surge » Thu Dec 25, 2008 5:19 am

By 2010, T-Mac will be done for good, this is coming from a Rockets fan.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#15 » by DEEP3CL » Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:49 am

Chubby Chaser wrote:Wow, another Celtic thread. Exactly what we needed!. :cry: Too early for dynasty talk. They need to at least 3 peat to do that. They won't even defend last year's championship. They're going to be like the Pistons a few years ago when they had a great regular season but burned out once playoffs came and got eliminated.
I agree Chub................they need to do what we did in this MODERN ERA of basketball to be talked about in the same breath as us and those Bulls teams in the 90's. People quickly forget they just became a relevant factor just last season. 22 years is a long damn time to only pop out one title then think you reserve the right to stick out your chest. B*thc Please................they ain't done jack yet.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
Laker at Heart
Junior
And1: 2

Post#16 » by Laker at Heart » Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:43 am

As much as it pains me...

LeBron says hi.
HarlemHeat37
Banned User
And1: 6

Post#17 » by HarlemHeat37 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:49 am

they won ONE title LOL..ONE..dynasty?! ONE TITLE!!..

these Celtics fans are delusional..their team finally became relevant again after 15 years of being nothing, and it's gone completely to their heads..these dudes forget that the fans in the CELTICS ARENA were cheering for another player, a LAKER, for the MVP award..that's how low it was in Boston, just 2 seasons ago..
mr_sunshine
Assistant Coach
And1: 482

Post#18 » by mr_sunshine » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:17 am

Bookmarked just for you. I can't wait to hear you excuse come playoff time.
mr_sunshine
Assistant Coach
And1: 482

Post#19 » by mr_sunshine » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:19 am

HarlemHeat37 wrote:they won ONE title LOL..ONE..dynasty?! ONE TITLE!!..

these Celtics fans are delusional..their team finally became relevant again after 15 years of being nothing, and it's gone completely to their heads..these dudes forget that the fans in the CELTICS ARENA were cheering for another player, a LAKER, for the MVP award..that's how low it was in Boston, just 2 seasons ago..

Again, THOSE WERE KOBE FANS. This thread wasn't even created by a Celtics fan (or at least not one that posts regularly).
CzBoobie
Assistant Coach
And1: 380

Post#20 » by CzBoobie » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:57 am

With one or two right moves from the Cavs in February, they will be pretty much stoppable in May...

Btw, the only difference between Cleveland's and Boston's records now is that the Celtics played more home games including season opener right against the Cavs...

Return to The General Board