Gerald Wallace hospitalized

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

idrivecars
Ballboy
And1: 0

Re: Gerald Wallace hospitalized 

Post#121 » by idrivecars » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:15 pm

sarah42 wrote:Damn. I'm praying for him. I hope everyone else does the same.

No I will not pray for him...stop pushing your religion onto others.

Also, a lot of you guys are saying Bynum should be punished for the severity of Wallace's injury- which is ridiculous. NBA punishes players on the intent..not the outcome. I completely agree with the ref's assessment of a flagrant foul but a 10 game suspension or more? Give me a break. Scott Williams should be tossed out of the league for landing on Karl Malone's leg and costing the Lakers a Championship.
civic10sec
Junior

Post#122 » by civic10sec » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:15 pm

doc.end wrote:Is LA the only place on Earth or what? Since when?

What are you 10 ?

Did you really miss that simple point? I'll say it again if you really care for Wallace why aren't you in L.A right now? Hell why don't you call the hospital? All your doing is posting. Which is fine! But don't act like you care for the guy because you don't. You care more about punishment.
TommyTheCat
Head Coach
And1: 8

Post#123 » by TommyTheCat » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:30 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:
TommyTheCat wrote:actually this thread and many of the posts back up the notion that the league is soft. in the 80s a play like this was a common occurrence and fans new it. players were much more guarded when attacking the basket because the big men were taught to give no easy lay ups or dunks. i think bynum's foul was hard and as others stated, meant to send a message. i wonder if bynum's mindset might be learned from his training with kaj.

i wouldn't doubt that bynum draws a suspension but he definitely wouldn't have in the 80s.

hopefully wallace will be ok

How can we use the 80s as some sort of standard when it was those kind of cheap shots -- McHale's clothesline on Rambis, just about anything from Bill Laimbeer's greatest hits -- that forced the NBA to institute the flagrant foul system in the first place, not to mention the addition of a third official?

The idea that that kind of behavior was tolerated couldn't be any more wrong; it eventually changed the way basketball games were governed in a very fundamental way.

ummm, so you agree with my point.............which was the game is much softer today than it was in the 80s. i didn't say that the stuff that went down in the 80s is a good standard..............just that the hard foul bynum laid out was a regular occurrence. and that kind of play was tolerated for a long time....................flagrant fouls didn't exist until the 90s.
ChargerMan
Bench Warmer
And1: 465

Post#124 » by ChargerMan » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:36 pm

The flagrant foul
+
1 Game Suspension
+
$15,000 fine seems fair
ballerblogger
Junior

Post#125 » by ballerblogger » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:39 pm

It was a flagrant foul. But I didn't see anything to indicate that it was malicious.

There was no wind up or follow through. Bynum was late to rotate and he delivered a foul to prevent a layup.

It's unfortunate that Wallace was injured. But it was a freak accident.

I've seen much worse this season.
ronnymac2
RealGM
And1: 4,904

Post#126 » by ronnymac2 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:39 pm

That wasn't a good foul. I always want the Lakers and Bynum especially to outphysical the opponent and make them think twice before going inside, but on that play, Bynum didn't even go up and contest really. I think a good, clean, hard, physical foul is when a guy is driving towards you, and you jump up and both of you meet....you make a hard, physical play on the ball...And you stop the player's momentum with your body. So basically, you are taking contact as well, but ideally, the defender is bigger. I don't mind making the contact so hard that the offensive player goes to the ground either, so long as, like I said, you play the ball and aren't sending him to the ground. It is more a matter of the offensive player colliding with the big man and going to the ground. Generally on plays like that, nobody will get seriously hurt. Nobody gets undercut, and most likely, you're feet will hit the ground first. Intent to actually hurt somebody should never be there.

I do think Bynum's reaction was too slow, and I think on the replay, Gerald's momentum sort of caught Bynum's elbow so it made it look more like a push than anything else. Bynum seemed a bit off-balance there. That said, he shouldn't have really put his elbow out in the first place. He also didn't make a play on the ball, so he should get suspended. Bynum isn't dirty, but he clearly made the wrong play there. It warrants a suspension.

I hope Gerald Wallace gets better soon. He is a healthy professional athlete who is pretty young, and he got the injury treated quickly, and with good medical help, so he should be alright. It is a very serious injury, but I think and hope he'll be alright.
Pay no mind to the battles you've won
It'll take a lot more than rage and muscle
Open your heart and hands, my son
Or you'll never make it over the river
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 41,113

Post#127 » by Sedale Threatt » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:43 pm

TommyTheCat wrote:ummm, so you agree with my point.............

To be honest, not really. I took your statement about today's game being softer as a criticism. Maybe I misunderstood, but that was the tone of your post. Frankly, I like my basketball where thugs like Bill Laimbeer and Rick Mahorn can't take cheap shot after cheap without any fear of reprisal. That wasn't basketball -- that was thuggery. The fact that it used to be tolerated doesn't mean anything, other than to illustrate that basketball has come a long way in this particular regard. In a good way.
sarah42
Starter
And1: 2

Post#128 » by sarah42 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:55 pm

idrivecars wrote:

Also, a lot of you guys are saying Bynum should be punished for the severity of Wallace's injury- which is ridiculous. NBA punishes players on the intent..not the outcome. I completely agree with the ref's assessment of a flagrant foul but a 10 game suspension or more? Give me a break. Scott Williams should be tossed out of the league for landing on Karl Malone's leg and costing the Lakers a Championship.

pushing what religion? i'm not religious. i just said i was wishing him the best. you can wish someone the best without even praying. it takes a second. or you can pray. so we all know what how you are really like.

get over yourself. who asked for a 10 game suspension? did it? no. i don't care what happens to bynum.

as for him paying for this, he got the flagrant. so he already did. if the league wants to punish him more, whatever. it isn't going to take back what happened. god, since when does praying for someone to have a speedy recovery become such a bad thing. the nba punishes players for a variety of reasons. intention, past grievances, and outcome too. refs do it in game in terms of how hard a player falls. maybe its not the exact rule, but we know it happens.

whoever keeps asking "why don't you go to LA"....you need to get of out of the sun more.
so many sensitive bynum fans out here. he's not the one who's hurt.
inmate347 wrote:
BTW, I still maintain that the 1984 Denver Broncos are Lebron's father
CITYOFANGELSX3
RealGM
And1: 151

Post#129 » by CITYOFANGELSX3 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:00 pm

let's all calm down guys, sure this is serious as it comes to Gerald Wallace. Im sure we all hope he feels better.

But Im sure Bynum didnt mean to give Wallace a Collapsed Lung on that play. Give him a suspension of 1 game and be done with it and move on. Bynum is 21 years old. Live and Learn.
TheBigThree
Starter
And1: 124

Post#130 » by TheBigThree » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:02 pm

Collapsed lungs are no fun at all. Luckily the surgery to fix it up is fairly straightforward.
idrivecars
Ballboy

Post#131 » by idrivecars » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:03 pm

sarah42 wrote:
idrivecars wrote:

pushing what religion? i'm not religious. i just said i was wishing him the best. you can wish someone the best without even praying. it takes a second. or you can pray. so we all know what how you are really like.

get over yourself. who asked for a 10 game suspension? did it? no. i don't care what happens to bynum.

as for him paying for this, he got the flagrant. so he already did. if the league wants to punish him more, whatever. it isn't going to take back what happened. god, since when does praying for someone to have a speedy recovery become such a bad thing. the nba punishes players for a variety of reasons. intention, past grievances, and outcome too. refs do it in game in terms of how hard a player falls. maybe its not the exact rule, but we know it happens.

whoever keeps asking "why don't you go to LA"....you need to get of out of the sun more.
so many sensitive bynum fans out here. he's not the one who's hurt.

If you wish that Wallace would have a speedy recovery, go ahead and say so. Don't go around asking people to pray for him.

I don't have anything else to say to you because I could hardly understand what you are trying to say with your incoherent fragments and run-on sentences.
TonyMontana
RealGM
And1: 398

Post#132 » by TonyMontana » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:04 pm

sarah42 wrote:
mr_sunshine wrote:There's only one four page thread about this yet the forum was up in arms about KG setting a hard screen on Marco?

Lol @ haters.

lol..actually there were at least 4 threads on that topic alone.

lakers fans claiming they are victims of hate on this forum? isn't this the same place where everyone knew for sure the c's would get stomped on, in 4 by the lakeshow in the finals? please.

as for Gerald, best wishes. that is a hard condition to recover from. i feel so bad for his family. tragic things keep on happening to him.

bynum seems like a really soft spoken dude, kinda innocent looking for a 7 footer anyway. but a lot of people in this world are punished for things, even when they didn't mean to hurt someone. intentional or not, he's going to get punished for this somehow. it is what it is.

LMOF............ Look at Cs fan running in here trying to pour fuel on the fire.
Pathetic....
As far as this statement.... "lakers fans claiming they are victims of hate on this forum?"
Im a Laker fan and I dont think we are victims of hate on this board, I actually think there are a lot of good posters on here that make good points and there are a lot of posters like yourself that have no clue or idea wth they are talking about.
But then nobody's perfect, specailly you.
Now go and start your other 3 hate threads to catch up to your Cs threads.
TonyMontana
RealGM
And1: 398

Post#133 » by TonyMontana » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:12 pm

idrivecars wrote:
If you wish that Wallace would have a speedy recovery, go ahead and say so. Don't go around asking people to pray for him.

I don't have anything else to say to you because I could hardly understand what you are trying to say with your incoherent fragments and run-on sentences.

So what wrong with him saying he's praying for Wallace.
Im cool with it, if your not then thats your problem.
Stop talking for others, if you dont believe or have faith in God thats your buisness not ours.
He's not pushing his religion on you, he's making a good and kind jesture and addressing it differently than you would.
sarah42
Starter

Post#134 » by sarah42 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:16 pm

god you are sad. who says things like "don't go around pushing your religion" and then complains about sentence fragments?

you are on realgm.com. get a clue.

don't pray for Gerald. again, i know your kind. the only thing worse than religious freaks are people who wince at the thought of prayer. praying doesn't go hand in hand with any particular religion.

sentence fragments. pffftttt...again where are you? i didn't realize I was being judged this badly. someone pray for me...oh wait. not in front of this ___________.
inmate347 wrote:
TommyTheCat
Head Coach
And1: 8

Post#135 » by TommyTheCat » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:17 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:
TommyTheCat wrote:ummm, so you agree with my point.............

To be honest, not really. I took your statement about today's game being softer as a criticism. Maybe I misunderstood, but that was the tone of your post. Frankly, I like my basketball where thugs like Bill Laimbeer and Rick Mahorn can't take cheap shot after cheap without any fear of reprisal. That wasn't basketball -- that was thuggery. The fact that it used to be tolerated doesn't mean anything, other than to illustrate that basketball has come a long way in this particular regard. In a good way.

well, my original post was countering someone insinuating that bynum's foul was proof that today's game isn't softer than the 80s. i think both of us agree that the game was much more physical in the 80s. while i'm not a fan of cheap shots, i think the league has swung too much towards over protecting players and whistle happy refs.
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 966

Post#136 » by mojomarc » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:20 pm

ChargerMan wrote:The flagrant foul
+
1 Game Suspension
+
$15,000 fine seems fair

I could see up to twice this, but that's about it. There may not have been intent, but it was a pretty reckless play by Bynum that needs to be punished. It is kind of like hockey--there may not have been intent, but you have to control your stick at all time. In this case, Bynum might not have had intent, but there was a guy clearly in the air and he essentially tried to run underneath him, and he has to control himself in those cases either enough to contest the shot or to get out of the way.

But if he only gets the penalty you describe I certainly won't be calling bloody murder.
sarah42
Starter

Post#137 » by sarah42 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:25 pm

TonyMontana wrote:
sarah42 wrote:
mr_sunshine wrote:There's only one four page thread about this yet the forum was up in arms about KG setting a hard screen on Marco?

Lol @ haters.

lol..actually there were at least 4 threads on that topic alone.

lakers fans claiming they are victims of hate on this forum? isn't this the same place where everyone knew for sure the c's would get stomped on, in 4 by the lakeshow in the finals? please.

as for Gerald, best wishes. that is a hard condition to recover from. i feel so bad for his family. tragic things keep on happening to him.

bynum seems like a really soft spoken dude, kinda innocent looking for a 7 footer anyway. but a lot of people in this world are punished for things, even when they didn't mean to hurt someone. intentional or not, he's going to get punished for this somehow. it is what it is.

LMOF............ Look at Cs fan running in here trying to pour fuel on the fire.
Pathetic....
As far as this statement.... "lakers fans claiming they are victims of hate on this forum?"
Im a Laker fan and I dont think we are victims of hate on this board, I actually think there are a lot of good posters on here that make good points and there are a lot of posters like yourself that have no clue or idea wth they are talking about.
But then nobody's perfect, specailly you.
Now go and start your other 3 hate threads to catch up to your Cs threads.

fuel to what fire? i don't start threads for starters. i was responding to a Celtic fan who was originally responding to a laker fan, that felt that they were all being hated on.

i don't see the problem in that. you don't think that you are a victim of hate, but another laker fan did claim that. the other poster and I both responded to it.
inmate347 wrote:
civic10sec
Junior

Post#138 » by civic10sec » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:28 pm

TheBigThree wrote:Collapsed lungs are no fun at all. Luckily the surgery to fix it up is fairly straightforward.

Being released tomorrow so I don't think he needs surgery.
sarah42
Starter

Post#139 » by sarah42 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:30 pm

TonyMontana wrote:
idrivecars wrote:

So what wrong with him saying he's praying for Wallace.
Im cool with it, if your not then thats your problem.
Stop talking for others, if you dont believe or have faith in God thats your buisness not ours.
He's not pushing his religion on you, he's making a good and kind jesture and addressing it differently than you would.

lol, you just defended me a celtics fan, with a little something on the side for toronto, and you are a laker fan no? i'm a female btw.

the world is coming to an end. lol. i don't get what that guy's problem is. i can't even remember the last time i've gone to any kind of religious building, let alone push a religion.
inmate347 wrote:
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 41,113

Post#140 » by Sedale Threatt » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:36 pm

TommyTheCat wrote:well, my original post was countering someone insinuating that bynum's foul was proof that today's game isn't softer than the 80s. i think both of us agree that the game was much more physical in the 80s. while i'm not a fan of cheap shots, i think the league has swung too much towards over protecting players and whistle happy refs.

Cool, my bad if I misunderstood.

Personally, I like it much better today than back in the old days. I remember very, very well how frustrating it was to watch a guy like Laimbeer getting away with all his b.s., and there wasn't really anything you could do about it.

If we have to go a little overboard to keep guys like that from doing their dirt, then I'm all for it.

At any rate, what Andrew did doesn't even come close to that, nor does he have that kind of reputation. He's a big, lanky kid, it's late in the game, he's tired, probably a little frustrated to be losing, he sees a guy winding up for a highlight dunk on him so he gives him a semi-elbow/body check.

Unfortunately, you could probably do something like that 100 times without getting the results Andrew did. But he did, so there needs to be a consequence.

I'm in total agreement with one game and a modest fine. Lay down the law, tell him not get in the habit, and move on. Simple.

Return to The General Board