Gerald Wallace hospitalized

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Ito
General Manager
And1: 808

Re: Gerald Wallace hospitalized 

Post#181 » by Ito » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:50 pm

In 41 games this season, the 6-foot-7 Wallace was averaging 16.4 points and 7.4 rebounds per game for the Bobcats, who beat the Lakers for the fifth time in their last six games against each other.

:o
Heyvoon24
Pro Prospect
And1: 18

Post#182 » by Heyvoon24 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:52 pm

^ yup bobcats have always owned the lakers
Beat who?
USA
Banned User
And1: 455

Post#183 » by USA » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:58 pm

As a Laker fan, it doesnt bother me one bit that we lose to the lower level teams. I rather beat the Celtics and Spurs of the NBA and lose to the Bobcats and Pacers of the NBA than other way around.

Flagrant foul by Bynum. His punishment should be the same if Wallace got hurt or not. 1 game and a fine.

I hope Wallace can come back and play at full strength as soon as possible. He is a good player. I would hate for this to hamper the rest of his career.
nonplayerzealot
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#184 » by nonplayerzealot » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:12 am

TradeMachine wrote:Apologists for that play claiming it was "just a hard foul" are cracking me up here. If he really wanted to send a message about not coming in the lane, he should have wrapped up Wallace instead of throwing a cheap shot elbow at him. The intent was obviously to hurt, and he clearly didn't think of the possible consequences of the play before committing.

How fitting however, that such a horrific incident gets swept under the rug as he he is a Laker.

Yer on crack, he'll be suspended. Bank on it.

The play was reckless, but what stands out is that a Laker actually tried to thwart a paint score.
TommyTheCat
Head Coach
And1: 8

Post#185 » by TommyTheCat » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:21 am

BubbaTee wrote:
TommyTheCat wrote:
G35 wrote:We should bookmark this for when people say the league has gone soft and the 80's and 90's were when real men played basketball and not protected by the ref's......

actually this thread and many of the posts back up the notion that the league is soft. in the 80s a play like this was a common occurrence and fans new it. players were much more guarded when attacking the basket because the big men were taught to give no easy lay ups or dunks. i think bynum's foul was hard and as others stated, meant to send a message. i wonder if bynum's mindset might be learned from his training with kaj.

i wouldn't doubt that bynum draws a suspension but he definitely wouldn't have in the 80s.

hopefully wallace will be ok

The 80s were soft. In Kermit Washington's day guys got their faces caved in.
But they were soft too, because before that guys used to play in wire mesh and rope cages.
But they were soft too, because back when the Aztecs were playing tlachtli the losers were sacrificed.

So the Lakers lost last night but no one beheaded Pau Gasol or disembowled Kobe. How soft.

interesting because the last time i was at chichen itza there was talk of a new belief that it was the winning team captain of tlachtli matches that were beheaded...............i guess the gods wanted the best of the bunch. so maybe a collapsed lung is in line with the spoils of victory.
marshmallow
Freshman

Post#186 » by marshmallow » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:28 am

RIP.
TonyMontana
RealGM
And1: 398

Post#187 » by TonyMontana » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:37 am

Heyvoon24 wrote:^ yup bobcats have always owned the lakers

Ya as well as many ping pong balls too.... :lol: Whats your point some teams just dont do well against others.
doc.end
General Manager
And1: 191

Post#188 » by doc.end » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:44 am

DEEP3CL wrote:You know what's crazy about all this ? Seems like nobody is calling for Morrison's head for his flagrant foul on Pau and the video clearly shows he went for the head but is there any crying a river and railing for suspensions ? No. Or did anybody see the blind punk ass screen Juwan Howard put on Trevor that gave him a concussion ? Guess not cause I haven't seen one mention of it on any board. Oh yeah I guess that was just a missed call by the ref again huh ?

But sense Pau got up and strolled away it's cool, but Trevor had a concussion and the media left it out of the news like it was nothing.

Actually I would like to see what happened to Ariza, they just said something about concussion I didn't catch any replay of it. No foul was called, don't know if it was a good call or not didn't see the play (but it hardly harmed Lakers that evening cause Ariza was their worst +/- player by far at the time - not that it changes anything whether it was foul or not, but at least it wasn't a thrown elbow at opposite team best player when he is in air, trying to knocking him down hard. Morrison was usual flagrant 1 as they come, not a good play at all. Elbow to the chest at full speed is quite a different story. Morrison's type of flagrant depends on the landing, he was slow to dfend properly and in decision making as well it was similllar like Granger flagrant on Wallace couple of seasons ago, just not that hard.
dingclancy
Analyst
And1: 90

Post#189 » by dingclancy » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:41 am

Kyrama wrote:Quite creative. Your reading comprehension could use some polishing but I see plenty of potential. B-

Now where do the Lakers and/or Bobcats play into your statement? The point I was making was that some Lakers fans are here coveting their star player while being quick to dismiss Bynum's acts as malicious. Furthermore, I'm suggesting to look at the situation from Charlotte's point-of-view. What was your point?

His point is you have no point.
dingclancy
Analyst
And1: 90

Post#190 » by dingclancy » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:47 am

infinite11285 wrote:
TonyMontana wrote:Man whats wrong with you.
I mean everyone saw the play........ It was stupid by Bynum which he has done it a few times before, but YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY A LAKER BASHER............. But to come on here and post garbage like this is pure pathetic and low class.
Im a Wallace fan and I feel for him and I hope he recovers soon and gets healthy, but dont come on here and insult to injury but lowering yourself as you ALWAYS DO trying to bash this team and its players.
GROW UP.
Look at the clip, Wallace runs in with no remorse and Bynum got there too late, He puts his arms out trying to hold down Wallace and with the rate of Wallaces speed and Bynum getting there too late it resulted in Bynums elbows hitting Wallace in the ribs......
It wasnt intentional.

Take off your purple and gold shades for one second please. It's completely irrelevant to state who likes what team as if that holds any type of weight in this manner. Whether you would like to believe it or not, Gerald Wallace's life is in danger. My father died from a 20% collapsed lung, it's no walk in the park. Luckily his cracked rib didn't puncture his already collapsed lung.

TonyMontana wrote:It was stupid by Bynum which he has done it a few times before

How many times is Bynum going to repeat these stupid acts before he properly punished so these type of things stop happening? Is the league supposed to wait until he ends someone's career or kills someone? He needs to be held accountable for what he has done. What Bynum did was EXTREMELY negligent, and no matter the intentions, there is only one person laying in a hospital bed with a breathing tube down his throat right now. Bynum made no play on the ball and because he was too slow in his rotation, he led with his elbow. I'm not saying Bynum needs to be punished for the consequences that followed, but the injuries resulting from the hit need to be in mind to some degree before the punishment is handed down.

Bynum wanted to commit a hard foul to stop Gerald from driving into the lane, so the foul was indeed intentional. The injuries that resulted from the foul were not intentional but he should be dealt with accordingly. In no way did I bash the Lakers, I singled out Bynum. No matter what you would like to believe that was a dirty foul. There is a proper way of committing a hard foul to stop a play and that certainly was not it.

I think a two game suspension and a fine would be enough. Let's say worse case scenario, Wallace dies, I'd expect Bynum to resign from the team to prepare for his legal issues from Wallace's family.

Oh my you are dense. Wallace dies? If Wallace dies it will be very terrible, but why will you even say that? You are just a) baiting b) does not know the diagnosis/prognosis of a collapsed lung or c) crying inside because you are getting so emotional over this.

Anyway a collapsed lung is unfortunate but people get off that in 1 to 2 days. 2 weeks max. The broken ribs is more serious. You are making it sound like Bynum punctured his lungs. Read your anatomy.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP)—Charlotte Bobcats forward Gerald Wallace had a partially collapsed left lung and fractured a rib late in the team’s double-overtime victory over the Los Angeles Lakers.

Wallace scored 15 points before a flagrant foul by Andrew Bynum knocked him to the floor with 2:08 left in the fourth quarter Tuesday night in the Bobcats’ 117-110 win.

A statement Wednesday from the Bobcats said Wallace was taken off the floor and underwent X-rays at Staples Center. Preliminary results were inconclusive, prompting Lakers team physicians to arrange a second examination.

Wallace had 30 to 40 percent of his left lung collapse as well as a non-displaced fracture of the fifth rib. The team said Wallace underwent a CT scan in Los Angeles, and had a chest tube inserted into the lung to help restore full function.

Wallace was to remain in the hospital over the next 48 hours for observation and did not accompany the team to Portland for Wednesday night’s game.

Team spokesman B.J. Evans said there was no immediate indication on when Wallace would rejoin the team, or even when he would return to Charlotte. Veteran forward Juwan Howard replaced Wallace in the starting lineup game against Portland.

Charlotte coach Larry Brown said he did not think the foul was malicious, nor did he believe that the NBA should take action against Bynum.

Bobcats guard Raymond Felton, who was on the floor during the play, said, “I’m not going to make a big assumption, but was it a hard foul? No question. But I don’t think Andrew Bynum was trying to hurt somebody.”

Lakers spokesman John Black declined to comment on Bynum’s actions, although he said, “It wouldn’t surprise us if we were to hear from the league.”

In 41 games this season, the 6-foot-7 Wallace was averaging 16.4 points and 7.4 rebounds per game for the Bobcats, who beat the Lakers for the fifth time in their last six games against each other. Charlotte’s victory was just its sixth on the road against 13 losses.
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,366

Post#191 » by LLcoleJ » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:59 am

I think some people here are getting hung up on 'intent' Yes, he intentionally tried to foul him. In fact, I was screaming at the TV ... rotate on him, foul him!!! I certainly didnt want him to get hurt and even more have this serious of an injury. My thoughts are with him and I hope he gets better.

If Bynum needs to be punished for the result then so be it. I have no beef. However, he did not intentionally hurt him. He intentionally fouled him that lead to a terrible consequence/result.

When I saw the injury reply over and over it looked like he might have had his worst collision when his body hit the floor with his elbow being between the floor and his body. That is my guess when the lung collapse happened. Anyway, it doesnt matter. He got hurt bad and I hope he pulls through ok and is back on the court soon.

Yes, Bynum intentionally fouled him. He did not intentionally and maliciously want to hurt him. Suspend him if needed, but lets not go label Bynum a dirty player just yet.
Cheers. :beer: — Mags
sarah42
Starter
And1: 2

Post#192 » by sarah42 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:11 am

marshmallow wrote:RIP.

:roll: was that necessary?

to tony - i'm not a sarah palin fan. lol.

i can't stop smiling from reading that. its just her appearance on SNL was golden. the girl has the "raise the roof" move down to perfection. maybe she should have been a dancer.
inmate347 wrote:
BTW, I still maintain that the 1984 Denver Broncos are Lebron's father
Cracked Fingers
Senior
And1: 3

Post#193 » by Cracked Fingers » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:26 am

Kyrama wrote:Quite creative. Your reading comprehension could use some polishing but I see plenty of potential. B-

Now where do the Lakers and/or Bobcats play into your statement? The point I was making was that some Lakers fans are here coveting their star player while being quick to dismiss Bynum's acts as malicious. Furthermore, I'm suggesting to look at the situation from Charlotte's point-of-view. What was your point?

You do know as a Laker fan we have seen our star player literally clothes lined and the guy who did it got nothing for it.

So go bark up another tree.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,438

Post#194 » by Dr Aki » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:47 am

can we all agree that bynum hard fouled intentionally without the intent of hurting?

its the difference between negligence and intent

bynum was NEGLIGENT when he went up to try to stop gwallace, but he definitely had no intent
Walt Cronkite
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 562

Post#195 » by Walt Cronkite » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:59 am

getwellgerald@bobcats.com if anyone wanted to e-mail. It only counts as caring if you call him or visit him in person though, EVERYBODY KNOWS THAT!!!1
civic10sec
Junior

Post#196 » by civic10sec » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:36 am

Bynum was called for a flagrant foul and an NBA spokesman said the league is reviewing the play to determine whether further discipline should be administered. However, Brown doesn’t advocate a suspension or upgrading the foul to the more-serious Flagrant-2 level.

“That kid waited at our bus, trying to get to Gerald, and he apologized to me,’’ Brown said. “If he had a history of that (rough play), I might feel different, but I just think it was a hard foul.’’

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/story/502200.html
Mr Excitement
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#197 » by Mr Excitement » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:25 am

suspend bynum 1 or 2 games max without pay.

or no suspension, but fine his ass at least.

that move was BS, intentional or not. you don't foul someone like that in mid air.

if that was kobe receiving that foul, this thread would go 50+ pages.

but i will probably be delighted if that happens to that punk garnett though. that guy is due for another anthony peeler-esque beating.
Kefa461
RealGM
And1: 430

Post#198 » by Kefa461 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:15 am

Mr Excitement wrote:suspend bynum 1 or 2 games max without pay.

or no suspension, but fine his ass at least.

that move was BS, intentional or not. you don't foul someone like that in mid air.

if that was kobe receiving that foul, this thread would go 50+ pages.

but i will probably be delighted if that happens to that punk garnett though. that guy is due for another anthony peeler-esque beating.

I just knew some ass would drag KG into this......Bynum for one doesn't have the balls to cheap KG like that and 2 probably nothing is gonna happen to him for the shot on Wallace. It should but so far not a peep from the League. Not a peep. 8-)
WE ARE CELTIC NATION
17 TITLES, ON TO #18.
That Nicka
Banned User
And1: 34

Post#199 » by That Nicka » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:06 pm

^ you work at the official league office?
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 228

Post#200 » by sunshinekids99 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:29 pm

I really see no reason to suspend Bynum. Give him fine and let Wallace pick the charity.

Return to The General Board