Gerald Wallace hospitalized

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

shaqfan1
General Manager
And1: 4

Re: Gerald Wallace hospitalized 

Post#21 » by shaqfan1 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:59 am

Bynum is a good kid. He's never done anything like this in the past so he probably wasn't trying to hurt Wallace. He was probably caught up in the play. Hopefully Wallace recovers quick.
DuckIII wrote:All 3 of them joining forces in Miami is the NBA's worst nightmare (shared by TNT, ABC, and ESPN)...it is a simple, irrefutable fact, that Wade/LeBron/Bosh in Miami is pretty much the worst possible result from a business perspective.
Dr Aki
RealGM
And1: 29,342

Post#22 » by Dr Aki » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:04 am

i feel sorry for wallace, and im sure bynum didnt purposely try to hurt him
farzi
RealGM
And1: 5

Post#23 » by farzi » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:06 am

I doubt he TRIED to hurt him, but what purpose does throwing an elbow at someone in midair serve?
Thank you for all the memories BRoy. You were a class act and brought hope to an entire region for 5 years. You will be missed.
blzrfan
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#24 » by blzrfan » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:27 am

That was bad play. Elbow right to the rib with no play on the ball. Bynum is definitely in danger of suspension if Wallace has a collapsed lung.
Teddy KGB
General Manager
And1: 1

Post#25 » by Teddy KGB » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:27 am

Sh*t that looks like a pretty horrid hit Wallace took. Hope he gets better soon. And yah, that hit by Bynum looks mighty suspicious.
Formerly ss_maverick, JHos Hydro
Dr Aki
RealGM

Post#26 » by Dr Aki » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:29 am

farzi wrote:I doubt he TRIED to hurt him, but what purpose does throwing an elbow at someone in midair serve?

to knock him down! but not to hurt him
DukeofFunk
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#27 » by DukeofFunk » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:04 am

Concerning Bynum, I don't think it was an intentionally dirty play-- intentionally a hard foul, yes, but the elbow/forearm in the chest was just unfortunate turn of events. Regardless, I know that if that happened to a player on the Lakers I would be furious. Bynum's suspension is probable and probably justified.

I feel terrible for Gerald Wallace, and I wish him a safe and speedy recovery.
farzi
RealGM

Post#28 » by farzi » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:06 am

Akiho wrote:
farzi wrote:I doubt he TRIED to hurt him, but what purpose does throwing an elbow at someone in midair serve?

to knock him down! but not to hurt him

So it was dirty...

Bell knocked down Kobe but wasn't trying to hurt him
Thank you for all the memories BRoy. You were a class act and brought hope to an entire region for 5 years. You will be missed.
infinite11285
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,634

Post#29 » by infinite11285 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:14 am

Oh man that was horrible. That hit was intentional. I doubt Andrew wanted to hurt him to the extent of a collapsed lung, but as far as the elbow goes, that was intentional. I just hope Wallace pulls through, because a collapsed lung is no joke. It's actually a possibility that Gerald does not make it through the night.

That play is so dirty. It the more you watch it, the worse it gets. How was Bynum NOT assessed a flagrant 2 and ejected after that?
PacificBlazer
Starter
And1: 128

Post#30 » by PacificBlazer » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:56 am

he should have been ejected he made no play on the ball, should have been a flagrant 2.... happened so fast though the refs didn't catch it i guess
Oh hi Realgm
Dr Aki
RealGM

Post#31 » by Dr Aki » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:06 am

infinite11285 wrote:That play is so dirty. It the more you watch it, the worse it gets. How was Bynum NOT assessed a flagrant 2 and ejected after that?

stop watching it then!
RutgersBJJ
General Manager
And1: 125

Post#32 » by RutgersBJJ » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:16 am

there is nothing wrong with that play, and if the league hadn't gone completely soft people would see that. A couple of years ago players would be smart enough not to leave them self vulnerable like that because they knew they would be hit. The Pistons were based on that fact, and the Knicks were all about that too. No lay-ups, no real dunks. It is how the game has always been played until Stern turned the league into a consumer product built upon flashy moves.

and lets be serious for a second. Wallace's injuries have just as much to do with his fragile state as they do with the actions of Bynum. This is the same player who every year has another freak injury occur to him.

I think Bynum is an average at best player, but there is nothing wrong with what he did, and I am sure people will think twice about trying to jam it home against the Lakers. Which is what he wanted, considering dunks have a higher percentage of going in than lay-ups.

But I hope Wallace gets better, and gets better quickly because I really love the way he plays basketball. And it still amazes me that he and Turkoglu are the same players who couldn't get any burn on the King teams of the 90s. Just makes you realize how stacked those teams were, quite possibly the best team to never even make the NBA Finals.
RIP Jared Jeffries. Gone but never forgotten...2006-2012
PacificBlazer
Starter

Post#33 » by PacificBlazer » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:23 am

RutgersBJJ wrote:there is nothing wrong with that play, and if the league hadn't gone completely soft people would see that. A couple of years ago players would be smart enough not to leave them self vulnerable like that because they knew they would be hit. The Pistons were based on that fact, and the Knicks were all about that too. No lay-ups, no real dunks. It is how the game has always been played until Stern turned the league into a consumer product built upon flashy moves.

and lets be serious for a second. Wallace's injuries have just as much to do with his fragile state as they do with the actions of Bynum. This is the same player who every year has another freak injury occur to him.

I think Bynum is an average at best player, but there is nothing wrong with what he did, and I am sure people will think twice about trying to jam it home against the Lakers. Which is what he wanted, considering dunks have a higher percentage of going in than lay-ups.

But I hope Wallace gets better, and gets better quickly because I really love the way he plays basketball. And it still amazes me that he and Turkoglu are the same players who couldn't get any burn on the King teams of the 90s. Just makes you realize how stacked those teams were, quite possibly the best team to never even make the NBA Finals.

Yeah, you should never go to the basket, how dare he :roll:
Oh hi Realgm
RutgersBJJ
General Manager

Post#34 » by RutgersBJJ » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:27 am

PacificBlazer wrote:
RutgersBJJ wrote:there is nothing wrong with that play, and if the league hadn't gone completely soft people would see that. A couple of years ago players would be smart enough not to leave them self vulnerable like that because they knew they would be hit. The Pistons were based on that fact, and the Knicks were all about that too. No lay-ups, no real dunks. It is how the game has always been played until Stern turned the league into a consumer product built upon flashy moves.

Yeah, you should never go to the basket, how dare he :roll:

Maybe you should watch the clip and look where he jumped from. If he wasn't willing and prepared to take a big hit he shouldn't have elevated from 2 feet within the FT line with Bynum under the basket. At least Bynum didn't just move out of the way and let him hit the dunk like most soft big men do in the league.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#35 » by DaVoiceMaster » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:32 am

So it's Wallace's fault cuz he's injury prone and/or took off from too far from the basket? WOW
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
RutgersBJJ
General Manager

Post#36 » by RutgersBJJ » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:41 am

there is nothing wrong with the hit Bynum put on him. There are only two people in the league who would have gotten injured from that collision. One is Gerald Wallace, the other is Tracy McGrady. A dirty hit would have been if he had clotheslined him instead. If you aren't willing to get hit, stay out of the paint. Wallace knew what would happen and was fine with that, I don't get why you guys are making a big deal about this. These things happen a lot, the only reason this is different is because of the fragile nature of the player whom the hit was put on.
Bskey
Veteran
And1: 144

Post#37 » by Bskey » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:43 am

RutgersBJJ wrote:
Maybe you should watch the clip and look where he jumped from. If he wasn't willing and prepared to take a big hit he shouldn't have elevated from 2 feet within the FT line with Bynum under the basket. At least Bynum didn't just move out of the way and let him hit the dunk like most soft big men do in the league.

Regardless of what the league used to be like it's not ok to throw an elbow into an airborne player.

Wallace in no way shape or form deserves to be hospitalized for trying to dunk the ball. Don't try to act like Bynum is some kind of badass defender for doing what he did (Laker fan's note I'm not saying Bynum is not a good defender, I like the kid). He didn't make a play for the ball, he didn't try to "hug" Wallace to stop him or take a charge, he just threw an elbow. The league may be softer but you'd rather see guys sent to the hospital with collapsed lungs?

I don't think Bynum meant to hurt Wallace and I'm sure he's sorry, but that does not make it excusable and I think Bynum should receive a suspension.
PacificBlazer
Starter

Post#38 » by PacificBlazer » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:45 am

RutgersBJJ wrote:there is nothing wrong with the hit Bynum put on him. There are only two people in the league who would have gotten injured from that collision. One is Gerald Wallace, the other is Tracy McGrady. A dirty hit would have been if he had clotheslined him instead. If you aren't willing to get hit, stay out of the paint. Wallace knew what would happen and was fine with that, I don't get why you guys are making a big deal about this. These things happen a lot, the only reason this is different is because of the fragile nature of the player whom the hit was put on.

That is a nice spin... no wait that is an unbelievable spin you are putting on it.

Bynum led with his elbow at a player in the air making no attempt at the ball... sometimes guys are gonna get hurt no matter who they are. Thats what a flagrant foul is.
Oh hi Realgm
Deity Allah
Junior
And1: 2

Post#39 » by Deity Allah » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:58 am

I watched the game last night and Wallace and the Cats were killing the Lakers in the paint the entire game. As for Wallace, I think out of his 7 FG's last night, maybe one bucket came from outside of the paint.

With that being said and me being a self proclaimed Laker hater, I think Bynum attempted to send a "message" to the Bobcats in attempts to make them think twice about coming inside, but in no way do I think he intended to do serious harm to Gerald. Just a nice hard foul, but obviously he dished out a little more than he anticipated.

When I saw the play live, I initially thought Gerald was hammin' it up in hopes of getting a flagrant called on Bynum with all that moaning and rolling around he was doing on the floor cause it didn't look like anything serious in real speed, but then after watching the replay, the cringe face was thrown on immediately :-?

Hope Gerald is ok and Bynum is suspensed for the rest of the season :D
farzi
RealGM

Post#40 » by farzi » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:26 pm

Fellow Blazer fans. I know we're all enamored with Crash and dislike the Lakers, but please try to be subjective in this thread. It was a Flagrant foul, but he didn't go out of his way to injure him.

Get well Soon G Force

Return to The General Board