Gerald Wallace hospitalized

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

mr_sunshine
Assistant Coach
And1: 482

Re: Gerald Wallace hospitalized 

Post#61 » by mr_sunshine » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:45 pm

There's only one four page thread about this yet the forum was up in arms about KG setting a hard screen on Marco?

Lol @ haters.
TradeMachine
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#62 » by TradeMachine » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:45 pm

Sting3r wrote:Shaq does this quite often but never gets labeled as dirty.

This just happens to be another case of Laker envy. Bynum is a Laker so therefore everyone is just hating. Just admit it folks.

The way I see it is Gerald Wallace is running full force at Bynum, you could say he was trying dunk on Bynum. What the hell is Bynum supposed to do? His first reaction was to put his shield up. Its either that or be on the bad end of an attempted dunk.

Envy? :lol:

Feeling a little entitled, are we?
G35
RealGM
And1: 7,704

Post#63 » by G35 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:49 pm

TradeMachine wrote:
G35 wrote:
TradeMachine wrote:Apologists for that play claiming it was "just a hard foul" are cracking me up here. If he really wanted to send a message about not coming in the lane, he should have wrapped up Wallace instead of throwing a cheap shot elbow at him. The intent was obviously to hurt, and he clearly didn't think of the possible consequences of the play before committing.

How fitting however, that such a horrific incident gets swept under the rug as he he is a Laker.

He was trying to prevent an easy dunk/layup,

As mentioned prior, there are much better ways of doing that than simply raising his arm to throw a protruding elbow into an airborne player.

Sure is. And hindsight is always 20/20. I'm sure he could have fouled him in a more honorable and fan pleasing manner but he didn't. Every team has fouled somebody and then people come out complaining about dirty plays. It's so funny how fans say they want more physical play but only if it's the right way..... :roll:
I'm so tired of the typical......
raleigh
Head Coach
And1: 503

Post#64 » by raleigh » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:50 pm

To me, it looks like Bynum responded pathetically slowly to Wallace's drive.

Definitely worthy of a flagrant because he made no real play on the ball, but I think this is more a result of Bynum's indecision than any malicious intent.
semi-sentient
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,609

Post#65 » by semi-sentient » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:56 pm

Schadenfreude wrote:
NO-KG-AI wrote:
G35 wrote:We should bookmark this for when people say the league has gone soft and the 80's and 90's were when real men played basketball and not protected by the ref's......

Yup...

I really don't think it was that bad, it was a very hard foul, but everything happened so fast I really doubt Bynum had time to process "I'm going to send a message now."

It looked like he ran in to foul him as quick as possible and it just happened :dontknow:

Looked to me like Bynum got caught being decisive without making a decision; he looked like he stepped up without any real idea of whether he was going to try and take a charge, go for the block, or simply foul...at the last moment, instinct kicked in and he turned sideways and raised his shoulder elbow to protect himself. A silly move, and one with a high probability of injuring the other player, but not malicious. I don't mind a one-game suspension as a "don't do that again...ever" measure, but wouldn't be upset if he got a token fine either.

Agreed.

I hope Wallace gets better soon and this injury isn't as serious as it looks. He's a player that I've always liked and you just never want to see anyone go down like that.
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan
TsunamiZC
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#66 » by TsunamiZC » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:09 pm

This just happens to be another case of Laker envy. Bynum is a Laker so therefore everyone is just hating. Just admit it folks.

The way I see it is Gerald Wallace is running full force at Bynum, you could say he was trying dunk on Bynum. What the hell is Bynum supposed to do? His first reaction was to put his shield up. Its either that or be on the bad end of an attempted dunk.

Your best shield would be both hands, and push even. Bynum is pretty long and has good extension, using your arms is alot more protective than using and elbow.

Bynum made a poor choice, with intent or not he should be suspended to send him a message. Wallace is sent a message each time he is hurt, no reason Bynum should be exempt from what he deserves.
doc.end
General Manager
And1: 191

Post#67 » by doc.end » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:11 pm

Akiho wrote:i gonna go ahead and say that while its wrong to hurt ppl intentionally, building a reputation for knocking people onto their backs will quickly make swingmen think twice before trying to dunk on bynum

How was that dunkin on Bynum? Bynum wasn't in the way to the basket at all. That makes it even worse. Bynum's intent was knock him down in a painfull way. He obviously doesn't care how much he would hurt him. Hey, there wasn't even any arguing about the call from him or any signs of second thought that he maybe shouldn't do it and hsould appologize.
52-12-7
Senior
And1: 235

Post#68 » by 52-12-7 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:14 pm

LMAO at the laker homers.

If this was Kobe going down, possibly with a collapsed lung, and Okafor serving the elbow, Laker fans would be crying for suspension of his entire season. Intention to harm or not, it was a dirty play.
Chris435
Starter
And1: 58

Post#69 » by Chris435 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:15 pm

Bynum is the scum of the universe
Hypz
Head Coach
And1: 8

Post#70 » by Hypz » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:17 pm

Idiot Bynum. To me it looks like he did it on purpose, he deserves a suspension.
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,728

Post#71 » by meatball sub » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:22 pm

DIrty play, probably not trying to hurt him, but don't tell me he didn't throw that bow on purpose...
Mumbles
Bench Warmer
And1: 223

Post#72 » by Mumbles » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:36 pm

Get well soon big Gerald. I respect yo game & mentality. Don't even sweat that spoiled ass NJ punk. He'll get his Karma's a bitch fa sho.
CHIMOCHI
Starter
And1: 2

Post#73 » by CHIMOCHI » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:41 pm

its kobes fault for trying to go for the steal and putting bynum in a bad situation :D
u mad?
dingclancy
Analyst
And1: 90

Post#74 » by dingclancy » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:50 pm

TradeMachine wrote:

Ha. compared to your team we'd better be.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,834

Post#75 » by Sedale Threatt » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:54 pm

There's a difference between a hard foul and leading with an elbow.

I seriously doubt that Andrew was intentionally trying to collapse Wallace's lung -- just terrible luck there -- and I have to laugh at anyone trying to paint him as a dirty player because of a split-second decision at a critical moment of a close game.

This past week is about the first time I've ever seen Andrew deliver a hard foul, let alone do something like that.

Be that as it may, regardless of intent or reputation, you simply can't have players running around dishing out elbows to defenseless players in mid-air. With the NBA you never know what you're going to get, but for this I fully expect a one-game suspension, and a smallish fine.
baroidi
Sixth Man

Post#76 » by baroidi » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:56 pm

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=QbcjL7AVxMA

elbow into the chest, that is brutal, suspension for life!
quackquack
Senior

Post#77 » by quackquack » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:57 pm

dingclancy wrote:
TradeMachine wrote:

Ha. compared to your team we'd better be.

You just proved his point. :lol:

Stay classy.
Ito
General Manager
And1: 775

Post#78 » by Ito » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:02 pm

that sucks, been a fan of him since his Kings days..

Bynum probably didn't want to injure him, but he wanted to foul him hard on purpose.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,202

Post#79 » by amcoolio » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:04 pm

Meh. If it was a Laker, it would be talked on PTI about how our player should be suspended 10 games (or if it was Kobe or Bynum injured, the whole season) and the commissioner would likely comply because of media pressure and he can make a stand against lesser teams.

Ugh, the NBA is broken. Please new commissioner, please
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#80 » by Rasho Brezec » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:22 pm

baroidi wrote:http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=QbcjL7AVxMA

elbow into the chest, that is brutal, suspension for life!

Ouch. After watching the replay from a couple of different angles, I don't see how anyone could argue that this foul wasn't intentional. Definitely warrants a suspension.

Return to The General Board