Bynum goes down, LOOKS BAD

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,743

Re: Bynum goes down, LOOKS BAD 

Post#286 » by meatball sub » Mon Feb 2, 2009 5:36 pm

Well...at least it's only a partial tear. But WTF? You can never figure these things out. In the Finals last year I thought Pierce tore up just about every ligament in his knee, a few years ago Al Jefferson severely sprained his ankle and was writhing on the ground in pain like he'd just had the thing blown off in 'Nam. I also remember a game that same year when Wally World went down, cried on the ground for 2-3 minutes, then returned to the game. Also, someone mentioned Michael Redd and how he walked off the court then found out he tore his ACL and MCL.

I don't know whether it's some guys just have a higher threshold for pain or what, but a lot of times it looks a lot worse than it really is. Even though he's out for the rest of the year at least they're saying it's only a partial tear so he should be 100% by training camp. I personally wasn't expecting him to return this year, I never do when I see a guy in that much pain, but I'm glad that it shouldn't effect his development long-term.

The kid just needs to catch some better luck, although on the bright side he's still only 21 year old and his body shouldn't have too much trouble recovering quickly.
CHIMOCHI
Starter
And1: 2

Post#287 » by CHIMOCHI » Mon Feb 2, 2009 5:37 pm

The jinx AP article always works guys, props to Lakersfan for showing us what a real fan does
u mad?
SabasRevenge!
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#288 » by SabasRevenge! » Mon Feb 2, 2009 5:37 pm

JellosJigglin wrote:cant find it either. looks like bs.

Yeah, can't find a sniff of it.

I hate the Lakers as much as the next Blazers fan, but this better not be a f'ed up joke. Injuries are no joke, no karma, nothing like that. Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery.
JellosJigglin
RealGM
And1: 9,400

Post#289 » by JellosJigglin » Mon Feb 2, 2009 5:38 pm

bove310 wrote:Well...at least it's only a partial tear. But WTF? You can never figure these things out. In the Finals last year I thought Pierce tore up just about every ligament in his knee, a few years ago Al Jefferson severely sprained his ankle and was writhing on the ground in pain like he'd just had the thing blown off in 'Nam. I also remember a game that same year when Wally World went down, cried on the ground for 2-3 minutes, then returned to the game. Also, someone mentioned Michael Redd and how he walked off the court then found out he tore his ACL and MCL.

I don't know whether it's some guys just have a higher threshold for pain or what, but a lot of times it looks a lot worse than it really is. Even though he's out for the rest of the year at least they're saying it's only a partial tear so he should be 100% by training camp. I personally wasn't expecting him to return this year, I never do when I see a guy in that much pain, but I'm glad that it shouldn't effect his development long-term.

The kid just needs to catch some better luck, although on the bright side he's still only 21 year old and his body shouldn't have too much trouble recovering quickly.

we don't know it's a partial tear yet, until someone finds a link.
RIP BASKETBALL REASONS (DEC 8TH 2011 - OCT 11TH 2020)
INKtastic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,967

Post#290 » by INKtastic » Mon Feb 2, 2009 5:44 pm

if it was true, you would think ESPN would have it

The closest I can find to an update is this

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baske ... _ga-3.html

which puts it at 6 weeks pending MRI results.
http://www.inktastic.com/ Custom T-Shirts and more
meatball sub
RealGM

Post#291 » by meatball sub » Mon Feb 2, 2009 5:45 pm

JellosJigglin wrote:
we don't know it's a partial tear yet, until someone finds a link.

True, I just assumed because it was a Lakers fan who posted it that it was legit information. That sucks though, I was actually kind of relieved when I read it was only a partial tear, now I have to go back to thinking about worst case scenarios until this evening.
SabasRevenge!
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#292 » by SabasRevenge! » Mon Feb 2, 2009 5:47 pm

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=513463

Sporting News staff reports Early reports on Lakers center Andrew Bynum's knee indicate he suffered a sprain and could miss the next six weeks, the New York Daily News reports.

However, Bynum had an MRI on Sunday, and the team fears the damage could be more serious and he could be out longer. This injury is to Bynum's right knee. It was a left knee injury that kept Bynum out of the Lakers' lineup last season from January through the playoffs.

"Hopefully everything will be OK," Bryant said after the Lakers' practice Sunday. "We haven't heard the results from the MRI yet, but we're optimistic about it."

from five minutes ago... doesn't really say anything new.

Jackson called the injury "a great disappointment" and said he didn't know when Bynum would play again. "Everyone knows we're probably going to have to go on for quite a while without him," Jackson said.
meatball sub
RealGM

Post#293 » by meatball sub » Mon Feb 2, 2009 5:50 pm

I wish we knew if the knee was swollen or not, doesn't the knee usually blow up like a balloon after you tear one of the ligaments?
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,944

Post#294 » by Sedale Threatt » Mon Feb 2, 2009 5:57 pm

^^

It's intensely painful. I could't even put a pound of pressure on it the day after I tore my ACL. Granted, ACLs are purportedly much more serious than MCLs.

I work at a newspaper, and nothing has crossed our wire yet. So I can't figure out where this new report is coming from, either.
microfib4thewin
Head Coach
And1: 454

Post#295 » by microfib4thewin » Mon Feb 2, 2009 6:13 pm

Zyme wrote:One thing that almost makes me not feel any sympathy for this is the relative frustration that we from portalnd recieved when Oden went down. People were decrying bust and he is the next bowie (notably from the LA side).

You are pretty naive to think Laker fans were the only one involved. There were plenty of non-Laker fans who made fun of Oden when he got injured on the first game.
Gutter92
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#296 » by Gutter92 » Mon Feb 2, 2009 6:19 pm

^ By notably, he means most of it. Doesnt mean ONLY Laker fans were involved...
TrevorAriza
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#297 » by TrevorAriza » Mon Feb 2, 2009 6:24 pm

Gutter92 wrote:^ By notably, he means most of it. Doesnt mean ONLY Laker fans were involved...

either way, how does he know a majority of the fans "mocking" oden's situation were Lakers fans?
quackquack
Senior

Post#298 » by quackquack » Mon Feb 2, 2009 6:25 pm

Edit: whoops - link was old
humblebum
Banned User
And1: 1,755

Post#299 » by humblebum » Mon Feb 2, 2009 6:27 pm

damn, that's pretty devastating.
semi-sentient
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,609

Post#300 » by semi-sentient » Mon Feb 2, 2009 6:28 pm

That link is from January 2008.
"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan
quackquack
Senior

Post#301 » by quackquack » Mon Feb 2, 2009 6:32 pm

Hahah... looks like i've been duped. Saw this posted on the blazers board.

Sorry!
10scott10
Veteran
And1: 40

Post#302 » by 10scott10 » Mon Feb 2, 2009 6:34 pm

its been accidentally posted on laker boards a few times as well
Ming Kong! wrote:Greg Oden = Rickrolling a franchise
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 40,944

Post#303 » by Sedale Threatt » Mon Feb 2, 2009 6:45 pm

Still in a holding pattern.

The AP just crossed another non-story at 1:36 Eastern stating that the Lakers were awaiting word.
CITYOFANGELSX3
RealGM
And1: 151

Post#304 » by CITYOFANGELSX3 » Mon Feb 2, 2009 6:51 pm

Crying... Waiting.... Hoping...
10scott10
Veteran
And1: 40

Post#305 » by 10scott10 » Mon Feb 2, 2009 6:53 pm

2-4 weeks until we know the diagnosis :D