Is Cleveland-Washington a rivalry?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Dat Pass
Assistant Coach
And1: 46

Re: Is Cleveland-Washington a rivalry? 

Post#31 » by Dat Pass » Fri Apr 3, 2009 3:26 pm

The Cavs are 12-4 agaisnt the Wizards in the past 3 playoff years...

I would hardly call it a rivalry.
carlos1223
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#32 » by carlos1223 » Fri Apr 3, 2009 3:27 pm

C'mon Cavs wrote:No. Maybe if they showed some class and had more than one respectable human being on their roster then we could call it a rivalry but they forfeited that last year.

If you talk trash and don't back it up, you're a laughing stock. Stevenson + Haywood = laughing stocks and Washington + Cleveland = no rivalry.

If you show class it's not a rivalry. I consider it a rivalry just like I consider the early 2000s Kings and Lakers a rivalry. Even though the Kings never won.
heh8me2
Junior

Post#33 » by heh8me2 » Fri Apr 3, 2009 3:47 pm

its a rivalry in the way that the Mark Price Cavs teams were rivals to Jordan's Bulls.

The Whizz stand a chance during the season but there really isn't a question of who wins in the postseason.

They are like an annoying younger brother who occasionally beats you when you aren't really looking and then talks endless smack about their occasional triumph.

And as a Cavs fan I wish this were with any other team in the entire league.
Washington and their fans seem to think that the world is out to get them and everyone is conspiring against them, thus preventing them winning 10 NBA titles in a row.

Their whole Lebron hate schtick is really tiring and old. When you have perennial nobodies like Stevenson and Haywood doing your trash talk you are in trouble. Even Caron Butler gets in on it trying to do his best 'Sheed impression regarding Lebron.

Not to mention they have one of the most absurdly (Please Use More Appropriate Word) beat writers in Tom Knott at the Washington Times who uses every cavalier game related article to attempt a GOP style media smackdown of Lebron based on false accusations and pure BS. Pure sour grapes.

I'm glad you Wizz fans got your moral victory for the season... too bad it was only victory number 18
Illmatic21
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 554

Post#34 » by Illmatic21 » Fri Apr 3, 2009 3:58 pm

^Come on man, you don't think Wizards at least have a legitimate right to hate the Cavs?

I wouldn't have much love for the Cavs and Lebron after that huge traveling no-call in 2006. The whole NBA world saw the Wizards get jerked.
He Hate Me
Starter
And1: 2

Post#35 » by He Hate Me » Fri Apr 3, 2009 4:06 pm

Well, who is showing the class in this thread? Do you really see Wizards fan touting this win and slamming the Cavs? No you do not. You see embarrassed Cavs fans reaching for excuses, trying to demean a team that outplayed them last night.

Fact is, Wizards want to beat the Cavs badly, every time we play them. The games are intense, and last night was one of the most enjoyable installments of the "rivalry" to watch (as a wiz fan)... No the wiz are not in the playoffs, but our win last night could impact the Cavs post-season by taking home court away from them... and YES, that was on our minds.

Also, this win was great because we had our full lineup. To see a win versus our rival and one of the strongest teams in the League was just a great couple hours. So if you see [a lot of Wiz fans]* talking about this win... it's less to do with you and more to do with our genuine enjoyment and happiness for our team.
I'm just trying to get into heaven, it's not like I'm gonna run for Jesus.
wrxchad
Ballboy

Post#36 » by wrxchad » Fri Apr 3, 2009 4:27 pm

I think the fans of Cleveland hate the wiz more than any other team, A couple good series until last year when there strategy was basically, When Lebron drives try to take him out. That pissed alot of people off.

Watching the game last night it was obvious this game meant everything to the wiz, Cavs not so much which is not a good attitude to have going into the playoffs.

As for the officiating a couple bad calls both ways, If they want to win the chip they can't let that effect them.

As for Wiz fans, jealousy is a bitch. :lol:
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#37 » by miller31time » Fri Apr 3, 2009 4:35 pm

It was pretty easy to predict the answers to this thread's question before even opening it up.

Cavaliers fans will say that it isn't a rivalry until the Wizards beat them in a playoff series.

Wizards fans will say that it is a rivalry because of the amount of hate each team and each team's fanbase has for each other. They'll also point to both injuries (ie: not having Arenas and Butler in our 2nd matchup with the Cavs, and not having a healthy Arenas in the 3rd matchup - a series where our best player could only go a few games before having to be sidelined) and egregious traveling calls that would have potentially changed the outcome of the first series.

As a Wizards fan, I'm obviously partial to the 2nd line of thinking. I feel that it is ridiculous to ignore injuries, especially when you can't field a team with your best player healthy for two our of the three series.

Nobody's mind will be changed, though.
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,682

Post#38 » by Roger Murdock » Fri Apr 3, 2009 4:44 pm

According to Bill Simmons this is whats called a fued, which I agree with.

Who else wants to compromise?
hitachi7
Sophomore

Post#39 » by hitachi7 » Fri Apr 3, 2009 4:54 pm

It's pretty unfair to say the Cavs "own" the Wizards. You can throw the 06-07 series out with Arenas/Butler out. After that you have the toss-up series in 05-06 which included Lebron's game-winning travel, and last year's series with Arenas at about 30% (he obviously shouldn't have talked ****.) Any non-biased fan knows the Wizards give the Cavs trouble, and fully healthy they will have very good and entertaining playoff series'.
Brenice
Banned User
And1: 464

Post#40 » by Brenice » Fri Apr 3, 2009 4:56 pm

On the floor, it is a rivalry, bred from mutual respect. Just like in the street, real recognizes real. You can tell by the antics both teams pull when playing each other. LeBron plays up to the refs, more than expecting the calls, but looking for advantages he thinks he needs to for them to win. Forget the traveling calls or non-calls, I remember an obvious charge being called on LeBron by 1 ref changed to a blocking call on Jared Jeffries, their best defender at the time, by the other referee before halftime so LeBron wouldn't have 3 fouls at the half. Guess who had fouled out when LeBron scored on the last possession of the game in that first series. The wiz get extra physical with LeBron because they know they have to keep him from the rim. Both teams are excellent teams. Remember, last year the Wiz beat Boston 3 of 4, without Arenas, including a home and home back to back. Both teams respect each other. LeBron feels it is a rivalry. Mike Jones too. Arenas does. All the wizards do.

The wiz fan think it is. The cav fans fake like it isn't. But, real recognizes real. Lets hope both teams are healthy next year and let the chips fall where they may.
P'Oed
Rookie
And1: 81

Post#41 » by P'Oed » Fri Apr 3, 2009 4:57 pm

If it wasn't a rivalry why would you feel the need to ask this question or feel the need to talk about the games at all?

I love how Cavs fans feel that they're so "above" this whole thing and don't care about it. Read some of the stuff they've been writing about last night's game in other threads and tell me that they're not just a little pissed about losing to the Wiz again this year. They've gone as far as blaming the loss on an April Fool's party that Lebron threw in DC the night before.
HouMac
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#42 » by HouMac » Fri Apr 3, 2009 5:11 pm

It's hard to call it a rivalry when one of the teams doesn't care about the other. Cleveland has owned Washington so bad the last 3 seasons, they just don't take them seriously anymore - as well shown by their 3 meetings this season. Cleveland couldn't have looked more disinterested last night, and the same applies to their other 2 meetings earlier in the season.
WashWiz54
Veteran
And1: 434

Post#43 » by WashWiz54 » Fri Apr 3, 2009 5:14 pm

Is it a rivalry? Of course! Cleveland has ill feeling towards the Wiz and you bet we have the same feelings towards them. It isn't a Celtics-Lakers rivalry but it is one nonetheless. We (as fans) hate losing to each other and the players certainly don't enjoy it either (as proven by the LBJ quote.)

Just look at what happens when we lose to one another. Right now you have Cleveland fans making excuses about the party the night before, calling the Wiz team classless, and just showing hatred towards the Wizards. If that was a loss to anyone else I'm sure they'd be complaining more about their team then just whining about the Wizards.

Now don't think I'm a complete homer- we're just as guilty when we lose. We use LeBron's travel, our injuries and whatever else. While I think our excuses are a bit more legit :wink: , we use them too.

We both hate losing to each other and take the L's to heart. That's a rivalry if you ask me.
DaRealHibachi
Veteran
And1: 173

Post#44 » by DaRealHibachi » Fri Apr 3, 2009 5:27 pm

@ hitachi7 and Brenice...

Truth.com

There was never a playoff series that was easily won or owned by the Cavs...

Series 1, first 4 games 2-2, next 2 games both OT 1 point wins... the infamous travel took place...

Series 2, 4-0... Injuries... AJ tried but didn't have any other guys steppin up...

Series 3 , 4-2... Gimpy Gil came back too early trying too much... Messed us up... Lost fair and square...

lol @ this dude saying Cavs not caring... Too bad, they should have... We had them beat earlier this year, without our best off, player and our best D player... That says enough...

Like I said, Cavs don't own the Wiz... Owning is what Spurs does the Suns the last 5 years... Both healthy teams... Spurs comin out the victor every time...
:beer: Magnumt
InBoobieWeTrust
General Manager

Post#45 » by InBoobieWeTrust » Fri Apr 3, 2009 5:37 pm

Until Washington beats us when it matters most, no, it's not a rivalry. Unoriginal name calling and getting beat three years in a row in the playoffs does not constitute a rivalry.
Brenice
Banned User
And1: 464

Post#46 » by Brenice » Fri Apr 3, 2009 5:41 pm

InBoobieWeTrust wrote:Until Washington beats us when it matters most, no, it's not a rivalry. Unoriginal name calling and getting beat three years in a row in the playoffs does not constitute a rivalry.

says the cleveland fan. What does the cleveland team call it?
TheBigThree
Starter
And1: 124

Post#47 » by TheBigThree » Fri Apr 3, 2009 5:43 pm

Even Lebron acknowledged that playing the Wizards isn't just another game, even when there is a gigantic record disparity between the two teams. That should tell you something. Maybe some day we'll see a healthy Wizards squad in the playoffs.
No Offense
Assistant Coach
And1: 260

Post#48 » by No Offense » Fri Apr 3, 2009 5:43 pm

That Wizards fan is wrong on so many levels.

There was no "infamous travel" in 2006. The only infamous travel was the crab dribble that got called this year. Just because you think there was a travel does not mean it was one. The fact that it wasn't called is enough of an argument to make that it wasn't, whether it looked like he did or didn't.

Second of all, the Suns healthy? Are you forgetting all of their suspensions in that one game because of the flagrant foul that Bob Horry had on Nash?

It's no rival simply because the Cavs OWN the Wizards. Just because the Wizards and their fans want to play with the big boys and they throw punches and slur insults does not mean it is.

If you guys can get healthy and actually compete in a playoff series, then maybe we will talk. But until then, it's no rivalry.
hitachi7
Sophomore

Post#49 » by hitachi7 » Fri Apr 3, 2009 5:50 pm

DaRealHibachi wrote:@ hitachi7 and Brenice...

Truth.com

There was never a playoff series that was easily won or owned by the Cavs...

Series 1, first 4 games 2-2, next 2 games both OT 1 point wins... the infamous travel took place...

Series 2, 4-0... Injuries... AJ tried but didn't have any other guys steppin up...

Series 3 , 4-2... Gimpy Gil came back too early trying too much... Messed us up... Lost fair and square...

lol @ this dude saying Cavs not caring... Too bad, they should have... We had them beat earlier this year, without our best off, player and our best D player... That says enough...

Like I said, Cavs don't own the Wiz... Owning is what Spurs does the Suns the last 5 years... Both healthy teams... Spurs comin out the victor every time...

Not a bad post til you ruined it with that last line, come on man! Suns were never healthy.
hitachi7
Sophomore

Post#50 » by hitachi7 » Fri Apr 3, 2009 5:56 pm

No Offense wrote:That Wizards fan is wrong on so many levels.

There was no "infamous travel" in 2006. The only infamous travel was the crab dribble that got called this year. Just because you think there was a travel does not mean it was one. The fact that it wasn't called is enough of an argument to make that it wasn't, whether it looked like he did or didn't.

Second of all, the Suns healthy? Are you forgetting all of their suspensions in that one game because of the flagrant foul that Bob Horry had on Nash?

It's no rival simply because the Cavs OWN the Wizards. Just because the Wizards and their fans want to play with the big boys and they throw punches and slur insults does not mean it is.

If you guys can get healthy and actually compete in a playoff series, then maybe we will talk. But until then, it's no rivalry.

I think it was game 3 of that 05-06 series when Lebron did 100% travel on the game winning score. I'm not going to argue that any superstar would ever get called for a travel in that spot, but it definitely was a travel.

I can see how it's not a rivalry because Cavs fans don't see it as one, but I don't see how you can argue that if both teams are fully healthy then it has the makings of a great series.

Return to The General Board