Sam Smith - Lebron Gets Star Treatment

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Tim_Hardawayy
RealGM
And1: 8,096

Re: Sam Smith - Lebron Gets Star Treatment 

Post#61 » by Tim_Hardawayy » Tue Apr 7, 2009 12:32 am

vinnycorleone wrote:I think it's obvious to everyone except Cav's fans that LeBron is not being ref'd the same way other players are.

I wish Kobe could get that treatment. Nothing against LeBron...he doesn't control the whistles. But it is unfair.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Poor Kobe. If only he could get superstar treatment too...
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#62 » by 5DOM » Tue Apr 7, 2009 12:35 am

It definitely sucks not being a Miami/Cleveland/Lakers fan.
Like one of the guys said, poor Dwight.
carlos1223
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#63 » by carlos1223 » Tue Apr 7, 2009 12:39 am

vinnycorleone wrote:I challenge Cav's fans to watch a Lakers game. Watch Kobe the entire game and see when he drives how they let the opposition MAUL him. When guys ride him to the hoop they let it go.

I blame a little bit of it on Kobe because he takes such difficult/off balance shots...that Ref's don't like to reward that. But there are times where he will drive to the hoop...his jersey is hanging out because its been pulled out. Someone's holding his hand. He flips it up with his LEFT hand makes it and the refs just look at him...

That bothers me so much. Because if you so much as lay a HAND on LeBron it's a foul.

:roll:
sp6r=underrated
RealGM
And1: 8,642

Post#64 » by sp6r=underrated » Tue Apr 7, 2009 12:48 am

Most stars get the benefit of the doubt

Ewing and Mourning were allowed the extra Hoya step
Malone and Garnett rarely plant their feet on screens
Duncan goes over the back constantly
Jordan got the benefit of the doubt in every block/charge
Kobe used to go to the line at roughly the same rate as other players despite shooting more jumpers
Miller kicked out his leg to draw trip the free throw line
Payton was allowed to get away with more contact on the perimeter defense than other guards
AI was allowed to palm the ball even more than other players . . .

There is one player in my 20 years of watching the league who got extra protection that I noticed.
Tim_Hardawayy
RealGM
And1: 8,096

Post#65 » by Tim_Hardawayy » Tue Apr 7, 2009 12:57 am

sp6r=underrated wrote:Most stars get the benefit of the doubt

Ewing and Mourning were allowed the extra Hoya step
Malone and Garnett rarely plant their feet on screens
Duncan goes over the back constantly
Jordan got the benefit of the doubt in every block/charge
Kobe used to go to the line at roughly the same rate as other players despite shooting more jumpers
Miller kicked out his leg to draw trip the free throw line
Payton was allowed to get away with more contact on the perimeter defense than other guards
AI was allowed to palm the ball even more than other players . . .

There is one player in my 20 years of watching the league who got extra protection that I noticed.

Who is that?
BULLS4LIFE2
Banned User

Post#66 » by BULLS4LIFE2 » Tue Apr 7, 2009 2:12 am

InBoobieWeTrust wrote:Wade, LeBron, and Kobe all get the SAME EXACT treatment. Anyone who says otherwise is just insane and wrong.

For once I agree with one of your posts. Sorry, but I usually find myself disagreeing with you.

This isnt even about Lebron vs Wade vs Kobe. What fans of all 3 of those players need to realise is no matter who of those you think gets it more, they ALL get it. I dont think Stern has anything to do with it, theres no conspiracy, its merely the benefit of the doubt + 1

Usually the benefit of the doubt should be assessed based on the situation, however with the above players its more than that, its the name on the jersey too. They also get the 'benefit of the doubt' on both ends of the court, whereas a player like say Iverson or Arenas would only get it on one end as they drive in and throw their body into defenders.

To the poster who wrote that Derrick Rose is getting star treatment because he's averaging less fouls than Lebron im going to assume you were joking, if you werent I have 2 responses

1. Derrick is such a poor defender that he's never really in position to foul, nor does he like to
2. Derrick gets absolutely mauled when he drives to the basket, would you like to look at how often he gets to the line? Try never...

By the way, here is the Lebron 'block' on Richardson incase anyone hadnt seen it, you can pause it at 17 seconds to see whether its a block or a foul

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uC6qYglQ ... re=related

You cant blame Lebron, Stern or Cavs fans. Its the referees that make the calls. And for fans who say if he's getting such special treatment then what about this call or that call, like the travel against Washington http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGiBXYJi ... re=related or the foul against the Pacers.....umm that is the RIGHT call, are we criticising the ref for making the right call or pointing out that more often than not these players get the benefit of the 'doubt' ?

Also just like the players, the refs all have different styles. What one ref will call another will let go, which is why you see a lot of players complaining to a ref for a call they made from midcourt when the baseline official is right on the play and didnt blow his whistle, replay often shows it to be a bad call

Theres nothing you can do, you just have to hope it doesnt happen to your team. I think there should be a video referee who can overview the replay as theres often a break in play when these plays occur and just make a ruling by advising the oncourt ref through an ear piece. If theres no break in play then not much you can do because you dont want to keep stopping the game but for e.g.

Lets look at the Lebron/Richardson situation. The refs deemed Lebron got a clean block on Richardson, the ball went out of bounds and no foul was called on Lebron. Obviously theres a stop in play. The video ref reviews a replay and sees that clearly there was a foul, he should be able to advise the oncourt ref who then adjusts the call giving Richardson free throws....i mean it is the right and fair call and in that situation could be a tough call for the refs to make at that speed. From what I understand it was a close game? Why let human error have a part to play in deciding the outcome?

I watch many games on League pass, usually 2-4 a night because i have no life and I dont think Laker, Heat or Cavs fans should be complaining that their star gets less calls than the other because the reality is they get a lot more benefit of doubt than the rest of the league, and surprisingly it doesnt seem to happen for guys like Dwight.

Since Sam doesnt give evidence (outside of the stats he provide which at minimum should raise some eyebrows) heres a few more examples

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_jsyxJV ... re=related

Kobe fans are going to love this one :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=081iPHpG ... re=related

My favourite Lebron travel because justice was served (warning Reggie Miller is talking during this clip)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGYAH56R8As

Theres plenty of examples for guys like Wade too, but to just give one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aySGUzzx ... re=related

And heres Kobe getting away with a travel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGB2aSv4 ... re=related
bullzman23
RealGM
And1: 3

Post#67 » by bullzman23 » Tue Apr 7, 2009 2:26 am

CzBron wrote:Zomg, Derrick Rose is averaging LESS fouls than LeBron James...and he is a rookie! Star treatment at its best.

If that's true then it's because Rose doesn't play any defense.
girlygirl wrote:Sorry, I just don't think MJ changed the game all that much.

www.theslickscript.com
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,537

Post#68 » by ForeverTFC » Tue Apr 7, 2009 3:23 am

I think Cavs fans just dont see it how every other fan does.

Im a Raptor fan and I will say right now that Chris Bosh gets some calls he has no business getting, most times its a make up call for something that wasnt done properly by the refs.

Lebron, Wade and to a certain extent Kobe do get some calls go their favor that is just painful. The problem is that for them it happens at a much higher pace. For us fans of the other team, its difficult to see stuff like that. Part of it is envy. The other part is that these guys are so good, we dont need the refs on their side to be able beat them.

However, no matter what team your a fan of, you cant defend 'superstar' calls. I think we can all agree that Lebron and Wade get some horrendous calls and it SHOULD not happen.
RevMan26
Pro Prospect

Post#69 » by RevMan26 » Tue Apr 7, 2009 4:42 am

Wow, that video of Wade falling down and getting the foul was hilarious.
Death Knight
RealGM
And1: 3,129

Post#70 » by Death Knight » Tue Apr 7, 2009 5:11 am

5 straight games without a foul................must be some kind of a record for someone who plays as much as LeBron does.

And homers who bring out examples of calls going against LeBron.........think about it. Of course they aren't going to make it so obvious and give 100% every single call in favor of LeBron. They gonna call some on LeBron once in a blue moon just to make it less obvious. For every 50 murders, LeBron gets a slap in the hands. He got slapped in the hands, OMG!!!.........The league is fair after all!!!!!!!!
Death Knight
RealGM
And1: 3,129

Post#71 » by Death Knight » Tue Apr 7, 2009 5:12 am

bullzman23 wrote:
CzBron wrote:Zomg, Derrick Rose is averaging LESS fouls than LeBron James...and he is a rookie! Star treatment at its best.

If that's true then it's because Rose doesn't play any defense.

Correct. As much as Rose abuses Calderon, Calderon can abuse him just as easily. When Calderon can go by you, then you know you suck as a defender.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,391

Post#72 » by doclinkin » Wed Apr 8, 2009 4:59 am

I'm less concerned about LeBron getting the benefit of calls on defense when the fact is the problem is worse at the other end. By rule he should be called for an offensive charge 4-5 times a game. His signature move, besides the crab dribble, is to lower his shoulder and bull into a player. If he misses the shot, and the ref doesn't call the foul on the opponent, he immediately checks his lip for blood. If he shoots an airball, he falls down. If he tunrs the ball over, once again rubbing his head like someone tried to decapitate him.

It's getting ridiculous.

Fair enough, superstars get the calls. Refs are fans of good ball, vulnerable to star worship. They get to see the talent up close every night. But the truth is that makes it worse. This guy is good enough that he doesn't need the extra help, if they called it straight he'd still be dominant. He'd find a way to adjust. No knock on him personally, he's using whatever edge he can when he fakes injury or flops or games the referees. He's just looking for every edge. That's intelligent. No difference for LeBron than if it were, say Bill Laimbeer trying to cheat for an edge. But it's a scrub move used in soccer when a more talented player beats an opponent. Flop, roll around, call for a medevac copter, then pop up and run around healthy. Not saying it's unamerican, just saying it's a little galling to see the most talented player in the league pulling a scrub move as if he actually needed it.

Now I won't go so far as to say it corrodes the integrity of the game. It may turn off people predisposed to dislike the game, but hey, they'd find another way to call the thing a fraud-- if it weren't LeCon, it would be someone else.

But seems to me that a self-respecting referee would realize they're getting gamed. Would recognize it beforehand in their pre-game breakdown that LeBron likes to pull an acting job every now and again, and likes to, quite frankly charge, charge like the bulls of pamplona with a hot chili jammed up their hoo-hah.

Seems to me that NBA refs nowadays ought to prefer to enforce the rules carefully, without bias, always keeping an eye on their collective reputation. Because, integrity of the game or no, their personal integrity has been enduringly rendered suspect by the actions of one of their own.

And frankly, refs ought to get embarrassed when someone continually plays 'em for a fool. Hell I'd be whistling a tech everytime he touched his damn lip. Call it 'lip-flopping'. Tired of the act is all.
@ndrew
Analyst
And1: 198

Post#73 » by @ndrew » Wed Apr 8, 2009 5:34 am

I was thinking a lot about "star treatment" and decided that this is the problem of players. Let's say it's 10 players, who are getting star treatment and there is 300 other players, who can complain. Go to player's union and say that you don't like it, because it's not fair. No sense? So you're just letting it go, so it's just your problem. Everybody is OK about, so what's the point of arguing?
CircleCitysportsfan
Lead Assistant
And1: 81

Post#74 » by CircleCitysportsfan » Wed Apr 8, 2009 5:42 am

Sam Smith must be bored. Thanks for stating the obvious. He's not the only one either.
stephanieg
Suspended
And1: 134

Post#75 » by stephanieg » Wed Apr 8, 2009 6:46 am

That's nothing. Mutombo hasn't committed a foul in like 20 years. Ditto 'Sheed.

But yeah, it's fun watching players become stars. This year Granger is on the ref's list. He's getting calls he's never gotten before. Gets away with stuff too. Why? Probably because he's scoring a lot of points per game, so he must be "good." Where's the FBI?
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#76 » by Kabookalu » Wed Apr 8, 2009 7:21 am

It's pretty frustrating to a huge degree the amount of treatment star players can get away with (with the exception of Kobe, sometimes it's so blatantly obvious the refs are biased against Kobe, he would be going to the line 10 times a game if he were LeBron). Bargnani is almost always in foul trouble because he picks up a lot of those early ticky tack fouls, whereas Bosh gets away with so much that even as a fan of the player, I still see it unfair.
garrick
Head Coach
And1: 3,048

Post#77 » by garrick » Wed Apr 8, 2009 11:03 am

Without a doubt Lebron gets the best treatment from the refs, I see him lower his shoulder into his opponent so many times yet he doesn't get called for an offensive but other players get called for it.
That play block on JRich was another example too, that late in the game on a open drive to the basket the call would usually go towards the offense but not with Lebron.
dznutzz
Bench Warmer
And1: 122

Post#78 » by dznutzz » Wed Apr 8, 2009 11:33 am

not to mention that triple double rebound that had to be called back as too many people youtubed it. back in the jordan days (pre internet) that would not be overturned.

i do agree that kobe gets the least of the star treatment and sometimes the refs are out to get him.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,257

Post#79 » by amcoolio » Wed Apr 8, 2009 1:46 pm

Again, this is like Peyton Manning getting away with false starts and intentional grounding because he's a star, and its like A-Rod and Manny Ramirez getting 4 strikes instead of 3 because they are stars.

Its utterly ridiculous and its ruining the game. There should be no such thing as "star" or "team" treatment because you are the better team or player. What the hell kind of logic is that? Its like the NBA is trying to keep the underdogs away from winning. It happened to the Bobcats 3 times in one week, and now we are out of the playoffs because of it. How the HELL does an NBA team play two overtimes, 58 minutes of basketball and get to the line SEVEN TIMES THE WHOLE GAME? Meanwhile the Celtics seemed to go to the line at will, like the refs were purposely calling 3 second violations to get the Celtics back in the game by getting them to the line. The Miami game last week was even more atrocious. Miami had 20 free throws in the FOURTH QUARTER. This bull**** has got to stop for the NBA to ever be taken seriously again.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,391

Post#80 » by doclinkin » Wed Apr 8, 2009 2:37 pm

Eh, the point of the article is not so much that LeBron gets star treatment, it's that the treatment he gets is practically unprecedented.

An again the least of what's galling is that he is treated well by the refs, and more that he expects he deserves it, is entitled to it. Whines when he doesn't get it, throws tantrums like he thinks it's cute that a full grown baby man acts like a pampered infant. And if he makes a mistake, he immediately looks for a ref to bail him out.

I mean granted in a play like this one he was basically like totally decapitated by Trevor Ariza, basically:

Note the gouting blood.

I mean come on. He's built like a God Of Victory. Is lauded like a hero of days of yore. A Legend. But to allatime pretend you were fouled or check your lip for blood whenever someone brushes your shadow with their unclean foot. (Or their eyebrow in the case of Trevor Ariza) . Come on now, is that heroic?

In wrestling, say, where the heroes and villains are scripted, the good guy doesn't wait 'til the ref has his back turned then throw chalk in the opponents eye, smack him with a chair, and when the ref turns back roll around on the ground complaining it was the other way around. That's a villain. A heel.

Part of what we look for in sports is that metaphor for honor, hard work, personal achievement. You know, sportsmanship. What does LeBron embody? He can't help but be a role model for people who admire him, and he wants to be a Global Icon. (Motherf*@#* a Barkley with his 'I'm no role model' jazz-- LeCon-artist wants the status). But an 'icon' stands for something, some greater concept. So whats he stand for? So what does this this teach your kids? If it don't go your way look for someone to bail you out? It's a different set of rules for them who God almighty, the refs, and David Stern has blessed. Manifest destiny.

Nope. Point of sports, and rules in sports, and referees in general, is that we all get the same set. It's a true meritocracy. You win by virtue of, well, Virtue. Don't matter your color. No different rules for you nor anybody else. Again, if LeBron wants to play the heel, fine I don't fault him, that's how he wants to brand himself: LeFraud, LeTravel. But I don't expect the refs to play into it when you know it just happens to be one of his tactics.

And okay yeah I just don't expect the spoiled brat routine from the best of the best, most talented player in the league. I guess I like heroes to act you know heroic and not like a spoiled Brat who has been handed everything his life ever gave him. If I get my ass kicked, better not be by a skirt wearing pantywaist dressed in a man's body. Looking for Mommy or the refs to intercede whenever he's not allowed to win. It's frankly a little nauseating to seen a grown-ass man whine to the referees so much. Makes you wish for the old school league with beer drinking in the locker room where you had enforcers on the squad who would knock a guy out. Think about your grandfathers generation (or their fathers before them) coming out of World War Two. They would have shaken their collective head in disgust at the antics.

Seriously though. You think Bill Russell was rolling around on the floor checking for loose teeth whenever someone bumped his elbow? Grown ass man. Most talented in the league. Stop acting like a spoiled child, and refs-- don't buy the act. Sit him in a corner for a few minutes until he can behave like the rest of the kids. Because, quite frankly, that's your damn job.

Return to The General Board