How come theres many injuries in the NBA but not soccer ?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, zimpy27, bwgood77, cupcakesnake

High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,088

Re: How come theres many injuries in the NBA but not soccer ? 

Post#101 » by High 5 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:25 pm

BadWolf wrote:Americans think baseball is fun, yet mark soccer as boring.

There's a reason we rule the world.
DieselCeltic
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#102 » by DieselCeltic » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:25 pm

High 5 wrote:Basketballs are harder to find than all the different balls you can use for soccer. Hard courts are harder to find than any somewhat flat playing surface. Some type of elevated basket is harder to find/make than just sticking two objects a certain distance apart from each other. If all the poor soccer loving kids in South America, Africa, and Asia had the means to play whatever sport they wanted to play there would be A LOT less soccer players. Most of them have probably never even seen a game of football, basketball, or baseball.

I'll pretend you didn't sound like a 3 year old with that post and ignore the lame insults.

:o no comment seriously
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,115

Post#103 » by AdamTheGreek » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:27 pm

High 5 wrote:
BadWolf wrote:Americans think baseball is fun, yet mark soccer as boring.

There's a reason we rule the world.

China just laughed at you.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
High 5
RealGM

Post#104 » by High 5 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:30 pm

DieselCeltic wrote:
High 5 wrote:Basketballs are harder to find than all the different balls you can use for soccer. Hard courts are harder to find than any somewhat flat playing surface. Some type of elevated basket is harder to find/make than just sticking two objects a certain distance apart from each other. If all the poor soccer loving kids in South America, Africa, and Asia had the means to play whatever sport they wanted to play there would be A LOT less soccer players. Most of them have probably never even seen a game of football, basketball, or baseball.

I'll pretend you didn't sound like a 3 year old with that post and ignore the lame insults.

I wouldn't expect anything more from a dimwit like yourself.
DieselCeltic
Banned User

Post#105 » by DieselCeltic » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:34 pm

High 5 wrote:
DieselCeltic wrote:

I wouldn't expect anything more from a dimwit like yourself.

Alright mister, let me find that ignore button...give me a sec... :lol:
High 5
RealGM

Post#106 » by High 5 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:36 pm

DieselCeltic wrote:Alright mister, let me find that ignore button...give me a sec... :lol:

Don't start an argument if you're too much of a fool and a coward to finish it.
tombo125
Sophomore

Post#107 » by tombo125 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:41 pm

DieselCeltic wrote:
High 5 wrote:
AdamTheGreek wrote:^^^You'd be surprised how may collisions occur when players fight for headers (and they get big air too).

Some very ignorant posts as expected whenever soccer or Europe is brought up in general.

You can't compare jumping in a soccer game to jumping in the NBA. Bigger players + less space + more air + hard court.

Soccer is a fine sport, but the elitist morons on here get old. Soccer is so popular because it's the easiest sport to play. All you need is a ball and some open space. Any poor kid with a few friends can play a decent game. There are just as many if not more great athletes capable of being great at soccer in the US, but football, basketball, and baseball are more enjoyable sports to most people. I played soccer when I was a kid, but moved on to football because it was more fun to me.

Please just STFU. In Basketball all you need is a ball and a court and you can play too. What do you mean it's the easiest sport to play. I'd like to see you on a soccer field for 90 mins kid.

Your post has to be THE WORST response that I've ever read in my entire life. Graduate high school before you post here again.

Thank you, come again 8-)

That post you just bashed is good. He is right you cannot compare the jumping in soccer with basketball. Basketball players jump a lot more and they have the possibility of landing on someone elses foot a lot more often. I think he meant its the easiest sport to set up to play.

You just dont agree with it. Its a perfectly fine opinion and I tend to agree with some of it even though I like soccer more than basketball.
BubbaTee
Head Coach
And1: 546

Post#108 » by BubbaTee » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:48 pm

AdamTheGreek wrote:^^You're somewhat correct, but it's not like you can't play basketball with say a soccer ball. And you can play on dirt/gravel. After that, it's easy to use a basket to create a hoop and stick it somewhere.
Yeah it's easier to create a venue for soccer than basketball, but not by that much.

All of those are considerably more expensive than what you need to play soccer, which is a ball and a flat surface. Baseball (ball and stick) and handball (ball and wall) also have less expensive requirements than basketball (ball and pole/elevated surface and basket).

That's not to say basketball is like polo or skiing but each additional expense is a lot when you consider how poor the majority of the world's people are. An extra basket is nothing compared to the computers we're posting from, but it's a lot when you can't even afford food.
BadWolf
General Manager
And1: 3,278

Post#109 » by BadWolf » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:00 pm

the price of those poles is really crazy in poor eastern european countries ;)
Boognish
RealGM
And1: 16,738

Post#110 » by Boognish » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:10 pm

People that argue that soccer is boring because of the low scoring simply don't understand the game. Good ball movement and gritty tackling are plenty entertaining.

And I think that my earlier point that it's the world's game is a valid one. Don't just simply equate soccer's pervasiveness with McDonald's. Literally billions are in love with the game, and not because of clever marketing and globalization. It is a great sport and you're missing out by not appreciating it.

Btw, I shattered the bones around my left orbital going up for a header this summer. I had surgery and now have titanium screws in my face. I've also broken my ankle, broken my foot, and had several ankle sprains playing soccer. Soccer's a tough sport. No, soccer's not rugby, but neither is basketball.
High 5
RealGM

Post#111 » by High 5 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:13 pm

lakersfr wrote:People that argue that soccer is boring because of the low scoring simply don't understand the game. Good ball movement and gritty tackling are plenty entertaining.

Or maybe people have different opinions. :dontknow:
Boognish
RealGM
And1: 16,738

Post#112 » by Boognish » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:42 pm

High 5 wrote:
lakersfr wrote:People that argue that soccer is boring because of the low scoring simply don't understand the game. Good ball movement and gritty tackling are plenty entertaining.

I don't think it's a huge leap to assume that most Americans who take the "Soccer is a pussy sport and it's boring" stance have little or no knowledge of the game.

For me, it's the equivalent of the 12 year old NBA fan drooling on himself, muttering, "Scoring good. Dunks good." There are so many more aspects to the game of basketball (and soccer) than scoring. Sure, everyone is entitled to their opinion; they're also entitled to be ignorant.

Point is, if you really understood the intricacies of the game and how skilled these guys are, I can't believe that you wouldn't appreciate it.
SportsWorld
RealGM
And1: 133

Post#113 » by SportsWorld » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:43 pm

DieselCeltic wrote:Soccer HAS to be the toughest sport to play.

I stopped reading right here
High 5
RealGM

Post#114 » by High 5 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:56 pm

lakersfr wrote:
High 5 wrote:

I don't think it's a huge leap to assume that most Americans who take the "Soccer is a pussy sport and it's boring" stance have little or no knowledge of the game.

For me, it's the equivalent of the 12 year old NBA fan drooling on himself, muttering, "Scoring good. Dunks good." There are so many more aspects to the game of basketball (and soccer) than scoring. Sure, everyone is entitled to their opinion; they're also entitled to be ignorant.

Point is, if you really understood the intricacies of the game and how skilled these guys are, I can't believe that you wouldn't appreciate it.

I understand soccer just fine, but it's boring to me.
DieselCeltic
Banned User

Post#115 » by DieselCeltic » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:57 pm

SportsWorld wrote:

Good for you. :lol: :lol: 8-)
SportsWorld
RealGM

Post#116 » by SportsWorld » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:59 pm

DieselCeltic wrote:
SportsWorld wrote:

Good for you. :lol: :lol: 8-)

Soccer clearly isn't the toughest sport to play. It's clearly football and it's not even close.
FJS
Senior Mod - Jazz
Senior Mod - Jazz
And1: 2,073

Post#117 » by FJS » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:01 pm

The problem is not injuries, it stacked schelude in NBA.
If a player is injuried in soccer one month (4 weeks) in the worst case scenario he will mis 8 games (the most a team can play) Say 4 national league, 2 cup games, 2 Champions league. (sometimes they play less games)
In NBA you miss at least 15 games.
If you miss two months at least 30.
3 months and we are talking about 45-50 games...
Too many games or too many months to play 82 games.
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,115

Post#118 » by AdamTheGreek » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:02 pm

SportsWorld wrote:Soccer clearly isn't the toughest sport to play. It's clearly football and it's not even close.

Rugby says hi.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
Rasho Brezec
Knicks Forum Euro Scout
And1: 18,400

Post#119 » by Rasho Brezec » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:03 pm

SportsWorld wrote:Soccer clearly isn't the toughest sport to play. It's clearly rugby and it's not even close.

Fixed.
SportsWorld
RealGM

Post#120 » by SportsWorld » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:04 pm

AdamTheGreek wrote:
SportsWorld wrote:Soccer clearly isn't the toughest sport to play. It's clearly football and it's not even close.

Rugby says hi.

So 2 sports tougher to play than soccer.

Return to The General Board