ESPN Insider Rumor: Josh Howard to Wizards for 5th Pick.

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

D'Lo
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Re: ESPN Insider Rumor: Josh Howard to Wizards for 5th Pick. 

Post#21 » by D'Lo » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:09 pm

Tim_Hardawayy wrote:For my fellow Heat fans, this trade doesn't help us to aquire Butler. We still need assets Washington will want. Beasley is still redundant, as they'll still have the SF and PF spots filled (Howard and Jamison). We have nothing else valuable except expirings, and Washington won't deal Butler for expirings.

The only chance Miami would still have is a 3-way deal...

Also it can't simply be Howard for the 5th as both teams are over the cap, so Washington must be sending something back to Dallas to balance the salary.

Doesn't mean Riley won't be trying, and hey, it's the NBA, where Heat fans daydream of Wade-Butler-Beasley happens.
CellarDoor
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 972

Post#22 » by CellarDoor » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:17 pm

I'm a bit confused as to who's going to be in the trade from Washington's side. If I recall, they're over the cap, so are we going to see an expiring like Thomas go?
tsherkin wrote:You can run away if you like, but I'm not done with this nonsense, I'm going rip apart everything you've said so everyone else here knows that you're completely lacking in basic basketball knowledge...
Branduil
Rookie
And1: 343

Post#23 » by Branduil » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:21 pm

I don't like this trade for the Mavs unless it's part of some bigger move. We need to get more talent at the 2 and the 3, not trade an important piece for an unproven prospect.
whocares
Senior
And1: 1

Post#24 » by whocares » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:25 pm

1. dallas is about to enter hedo sweepstakes.
2. cuban likes the guy.
3. so does dirk.
only 10 points, 10 rebounds, 10 assists shy of yet another triple double - anonymous
magnumt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 15,046
Location: Gott'a Stick To My Girls Like Glue, Ain't No No. 2 Here...Sean Paul Style, Baby Gyrl!!!

Post#25 » by magnumt » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:27 pm

CellarDoor wrote:I'm a bit confused as to who's going to be in the trade from Washington's side. If I recall, they're over the cap, so are we going to see an expiring like Thomas go?

They could likely send Songalia, Stevenson, and the 5th for Dallas' 1st+Howard. It'd probably Washington some Salary (minor), shed a Roster spot, and open the possibility of moving Jamison or Butler easier. They could even nab a PG at where Dallas picks (say if Maynor or Teague falls).
BAF 1.0 - Wizards: Year 2
PG: Kemba Walker (32) / Rivers (16) / Felton
SG: Evan Fournier (28) / Evans (20) / Dotson
SF: Gordon Hayward (36)/ Delly (12) / Dudley
PF: Kevin Love (36) / Frye (12) / Ellenson
C: Pau Gasol (32) / Noah (16) / Felicio

magnumt6
legacyinthemakin89c
Veteran
And1: 1

Post#26 » by legacyinthemakin89c » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:34 pm

Butler can play SG easy, so they can make the roster fit. If healthy, the Wiz would have the most offensivly talented roster in the league but their defense is still questionable. If they ran with Arenas, Butler, Howard, Jamison and Haywood, I think there aren't enough shots to go around. I think if this deal goes down, they should trade Arenas for something, maybe get a pick, maybe even trade Arenas for Howard and then keep the pick, then sign J Kidd, and use the pick for a young point guard like Flynn, Lawson or Teague, guys who are more creators then shot takers.

Kidd/Draft Pick
Butler/Young/Stevenson
Howard/Blatche
Jamison/McGee
Haywood/Thomas

I don't know the Wizards depth chart all that well, thats from memory, but if they can trade Arenas for Howard and Kidd, I like the starting lineup, Kidd, Butler, Howard and Haywood are all decent defenders, they won't win any slow pace games, but they can score with anyone. I think their bench needs improvement, but its a start.
TAI8
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#27 » by TAI8 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:36 pm

Why the hell would they do that? James Harden will be an All-Star and they want to trade him away for someone that plays the same position as Butler? What an awful proposition.
rsavaj
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,767

Post#28 » by rsavaj » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:42 pm

They want Howard but they don't want J-Rich who actually plays the SG position?

:(
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Post#29 » by Flash3 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:46 pm

TAI8 wrote:Why the hell would they do that? James Harden will be an All-Star and they want to trade him away for someone that plays the same position as Butler? What an awful proposition.

Will is all potential. -- And, potential is worth a cup of coffee.

The Wizards are in win-now mode, IMO. Especially with the $ they gave their big 3 last off season.....
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
ripkenjpn
Junior
And1: 0

Post#30 » by ripkenjpn » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:48 pm

Josh (or Terry ) will be a huge upgrade over Deshawn or D-Mac.
Arenas loves this deal.
lakerfan10770
Starter
And1: 3

Post#31 » by lakerfan10770 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:51 pm

rsavaj wrote:They want Howard but they don't want J-Rich who actually plays the SG position?

:(

Jason Richardson is older and is owed $27,777,775 over the next two years. Josh Howard has one year at $10,890,000 and a team option for the 2010-2011 season at $11,835,000. I don't think it is that hard of a decision. Plus there is probably a good chance that they can dump a little extra salary on Dallas in a deal like this, whereas Phoenix is always looking to save money on their trades.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,117

Post#32 » by jazzfan1971 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:53 pm

Howard is worth more than #5 in this draft IMHO. Way more.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
WesWesley
General Manager
And1: 5

Post#33 » by WesWesley » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:54 pm

Too many scorers on the Wizards if this goes through...

Who knows though, they're changing house with Flip Saunders coaching now, and I wouldn't be surprised if there was more to come from them.

I would like to see Jamison traded for a defensive minded PF and some cap relief. A front court of said player and Haywood would work well with three 20 plus ppg scorers at the 1,2,3...
5:26 LAC - B. Davis misses a layup
hoop_head
RealGM
And1: 2,235

Post#34 » by hoop_head » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:04 pm

Washington's in the luxury tax as it stands (at almost 76 million with the Mike James 6.4 million player option which I expect Mike to exercise), and Howard is due 10.8 million next year. Washington would want to unload players here, probably Songaila and Stevenson valued at about 8.4 million. These 2 players + 5th pick salary (about 2.5 million?) just about equals Howard's salary for next year.

Does Dallas really want the 5th pick that bad (and what comes with it from the Wiz), or is this Cuban giving Howard the boot from Dallas? This would be an interesting trade for Washington, but I don't see the real value for Dallas here, unless the goal is unload Howard.
Branduil
Rookie
And1: 343

Post#35 » by Branduil » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:12 pm

The only way this makes sense for Dallas is if there's a third team involved, who wants the 5th pick, and has something Dallas wants but Washington doesn't.
TAI8
Banned User
And1: 4

Post#36 » by TAI8 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:20 pm

Flash3 wrote:
TAI8 wrote:Why the hell would they do that? James Harden will be an All-Star and they want to trade him away for someone that plays the same position as Butler? What an awful proposition.

Will is all potential. -- And, potential is worth a cup of coffee.

The Wizards are in win-now mode, IMO. Especially with the $ they gave their big 3 last off season.....

Josh Howard isn't a good fit in Washington IMO. He and Butler are practically the same player, both good all-around players that aren't great at anything. I would much rather let them (Big 3) play for a full season under Flip and see what happens next. When fully healthy the Big 3 led the Wizards to consecutive playoff berths. Flip is a good coach and I know that he will pick up where Jordan left off which is running one of the most dynamic offenses in the league.
RutgersBJJ
General Manager
And1: 125

Post#37 » by RutgersBJJ » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:28 pm

this is a GREAT trade for Dallas, I don't care what any Mav fan says. Josh Howard and his inability to take his game to the next level is why the Mavs are currently where they are at. With the 5th pick the Mavs could get Thabeet to replace Dampier, Harden to be the SG, Earl Clark, or even a PG if they feel they are going to lose Kidd. The mav team as currently constructed wasn't going to get the job done, and this gives them a full year to make moves to show Dirk that they can rebuild and be a championship contending team.
RIP Jared Jeffries. Gone but never forgotten...2006-2012
halfHAVOC
Assistant Coach
And1: 176

Post#38 » by halfHAVOC » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:31 pm

caron butler can play the 2 easily, but still doesn't address the wizards problems.
Stream My New Basketball Anthem "KING": https://ampl.ink/7QwkY
Jajwanda
General Manager
And1: 105

Post#39 » by Jajwanda » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:31 pm

What a bunch of non-sense. Howard can easily play the SG spot no problem especially defensively. The question is do they keep Jamison or trade for a more traditional PF now.

If Arenas can run that lineup they'll be great, otherwise they'll try to trade Arenas for a normal PG. I can't see the downside of acquiring a damn good wing. It improves you period. Plus he's the defensive player, Caron isn't. I'm not sure what they do after this though to save money.
LyNx
Veteran
And1: 122

Post#40 » by LyNx » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:38 pm

This rumour has been around a little while now. Is the rumour that this is going down shortly or is this still speculation that something like this COULD go down?

Return to The General Board