***BARKRING NOOZ**** Gortat matched. NOW WITH LINK!!!!

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

Smoke[MaxX]
Senior
And1: 35

Re: ***BARKRING NOOZ**** Gortat to be resigned by Magic 

Post#121 » by Smoke[MaxX] » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:20 am

J-Ville Smoke wrote:
Chevelle2 wrote:Im gonna go ahead and say I think this is legit. :sad:

There ya go. That way if it turns up false, you can be pleasantly surprised.

...If this guy is such an insider (or if you really did see this confirmed via ORL news) then how could it ever turn up false?
NBA Analyst+
Starter
And1: 0

Post#122 » by NBA Analyst+ » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:20 am

Orlando is stacked. If they get Matt barnes or Von wafer they will look real good next year. The top of the east is crazy.
MichaelH
Senior

Post#123 » by MichaelH » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:20 am

J-Ville Smoke wrote:LOL @ Cavs fans.

We bring in Vince Carter, you bring in shutdown defender Anthony Parker and everything is vegan kosher on your end.

I know right, I wonder when he drops like 30+ every game on the Raps and craps on them with game-winners all the time, who's defending him? :lol:
Orlando 97, Dallas 82
Cthulhu wrote:Orlando has to shoot out of their a** from three just to win games. Sad.
SmoothKobra
Starter
And1: 638

Post#124 » by SmoothKobra » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:20 am

J-Ville Smoke wrote:LOL @ Cavs fans.

We bring in Vince Carter, you bring in shutdown defender Anthony Parker and everything is vegan kosher on your end.

Not that I think Anthony Parker is a great defender, but I think you guys are going to be really disappointed with Vince after pumping him up so much, he's just not the same player anymore. He put up stats on a bad team, now he will have to share the ball much more.
Wilford Brimley
Banned User
And1: 81

Post#125 » by Wilford Brimley » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:21 am

This thread is crazy. :lol:
wfiles
Sixth Man
And1: 1,285

Post#126 » by wfiles » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:23 am

With this Barkring Nooz, Dallas has dropped down to 6th in the West. :lol: :lol:
1. Lakers
2. San Antonio
3. Denver
4. Portland
5. Utah
6. Dallas
J-Ville Smoke
Head Coach
And1: 296

Post#127 » by J-Ville Smoke » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:24 am

Smoke[MaxX] wrote:
J-Ville Smoke wrote:
Chevelle2 wrote:Im gonna go ahead and say I think this is legit. :sad:

There ya go. That way if it turns up false, you can be pleasantly surprised.

...If this guy is such an insider (or if you really did see this confirmed via ORL news) then how could it ever turn up false?

DEWEY DEFEATS TRUMAN

comes to mind.

Or Jayson Blair. You know, media outlets are wrong sometimes.
Волков бояться — в лес не ходить.
BrooklynBulls
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,652

Post#128 » by BrooklynBulls » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:24 am

DowJones wrote:
1. If Orlando goes small, Cleveland can counter that by bringing in Anthony Parker off the bench and putting him on Vince. What matchup is better...Delonte (6-3) on Hedo (6-10) or Parker (6-6) on Carter (6-6). I easily go with Parker on Carter.

What matchup is better? Neither. You've got the superior player being guarded by an inferior player in each case. You might think Hedo lit you up, well he didn't. He shot well in two games. Coincidentally, the Magic LOST both games. Hedo was the Magic's closer, and he closed pretty well. So does Vince. Arguably better. And he's much better the first 44 minutes.

2. This is where realgm guys look at the individual talent (Hedo vs Carter) and jump to conclusions. Hedo was a pain the ass for Cleveland because of his height and decision making on pick and rolls. Plus Hedo works well in their offense...Carter is far more of a 1 on 1 player who got many points off of the dribble-drive offense the Nets run. Carter is a very good player, but Cleveland has always defended him well because he relies more on the 1 on 1 part of the game.

It is shocking, SHOCKING, that you make the assertion that Carter is not a playmaker. And he plays the pick and roll FINE. He's a better playmaker than Turkoglu. His career assist rate is better than Turkoglu's BEST year- more of Carter's used possessions end in assists than Turkoglu's, that's just a fact. He relies more on his 1-1 game, because it's better than Hedo's. If he's finding the seams in your pick and roll defense, he's going to keep going through them. This isn't some limited scrub here- Vince Carter is an offensively versatile player who is capable of doing whatever the defense gives him.

I just don't think people take into consideration the matchup advantages that came with Orlando throwing Hedo at SF and Shard at PF.

I don't think the Shard at PF strategy will change at all, specifically versus you guys, because it's been known to work. SVG won't go away from that, because it rules.

And I don't think Carter for Turkoglu helps you out, either.

I'm not a Magic fan, nor a Cav fan, so I'll bow out of this discussion. I just think it's BEYOND odd how Cleveland fans are trying to twist Orlando generally improving their roster into a BENEFIT.

It doesn't mean you can't win the next series. Because Cleveland's really good. But you're going to have to make some offensive adjustments, and find yourselves a few key roster pieces- particularly a forward who's lengthy and can guard Rashard, as well as someone who can create their offense better than Mo Williams-- Hell, the answer there might just be a non-sucking Mo Williams!

But I digress.
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,980

Post#129 » by Nyce_1 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:25 am

Smoke[MaxX] wrote:
Nyce_1 wrote:actually, the first reports of this news were shortly after 11:45pm by posters on various Magic message boards. Just because you read the thread here at 1-something am, doesn't mean the news was on that late breaking this story.

LOL! Even better.
It seems like the local news runs until about 11:35. You seem to be implying that he watched on the news which he didn't (because he himself said he didn't). He says he flipped the channel and saw it on there. So if the first reports were at 11:45 it HAD to be there during Without A Trace.

All in all, it smells more like BS by the minute. "Barking" news indeed.

where did I imply the OP watched anything? I SAID posters on other Magic forums first posted this very same news shortly after 11:45pm; claiming they watched the news broadcast.

Also, just an FYI, sometimes in Orlando, they do replay the 11pm news later, without regard to scheduled programmings. its very much possible the OP watched a replay of the earlier broadcast.

i guess we'll see for sure in a few hrs if/when other sources officialize the re-signing.
prekazi
General Manager
And1: 1

Post#130 » by prekazi » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:34 am

Oh another bad news. Great! What an off-season.
"Die Freiheit ist immer nur Freiheit der Andersdenkenden." R.Luxemburg

http://twitter.com/prekazi
Hypz
Head Coach
And1: 8

Post#131 » by Hypz » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:36 am

This sucks for Mavs fans, they were really excited for this deal.
DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,840

Post#132 » by DowJones » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:37 am

BrooklynBulls wrote:
DowJones wrote:
1. If Orlando goes small, Cleveland can counter that by bringing in Anthony Parker off the bench and putting him on Vince. What matchup is better...Delonte (6-3) on Hedo (6-10) or Parker (6-6) on Carter (6-6). I easily go with Parker on Carter.

What matchup is better? Neither. You've got the superior player being guarded by an inferior player in each case. You might think Hedo lit you up, well he didn't. He shot well in two games. Coincidentally, the Magic LOST both games. Hedo was the Magic's closer, and he closed pretty well. So does Vince. Arguably better. And he's much better the first 44 minutes.

2. This is where realgm guys look at the individual talent (Hedo vs Carter) and jump to conclusions. Hedo was a pain the ass for Cleveland because of his height and decision making on pick and rolls. Plus Hedo works well in their offense...Carter is far more of a 1 on 1 player who got many points off of the dribble-drive offense the Nets run. Carter is a very good player, but Cleveland has always defended him well because he relies more on the 1 on 1 part of the game.

It is shocking, SHOCKING, that you make the assertion that Carter is not a playmaker. And he plays the pick and roll FINE. He's a better playmaker than Turkoglu. His career assist rate is better than Turkoglu's BEST year- more of Carter's used possessions end in assists than Turkoglu's, that's just a fact. He relies more on his 1-1 game, because it's better than Hedo's. If he's finding the seams in your pick and roll defense, he's going to keep going through them. This isn't some limited scrub here- Vince Carter is an offensively versatile player who is capable of doing whatever the defense gives him.

I just don't think people take into consideration the matchup advantages that came with Orlando throwing Hedo at SF and Shard at PF.

I don't think the Shard at PF strategy will change at all, specifically versus you guys, because it's been known to work. SVG won't go away from that, because it rules.

And I don't think Carter for Turkoglu helps you out, either.

I'm not a Magic fan, nor a Cav fan, so I'll bow out of this discussion. I just think it's BEYOND odd how Cleveland fans are trying to twist Orlando generally improving their roster into a BENEFIT.

It doesn't mean you can't win the next series. Because Cleveland's really good. But you're going to have to make some offensive adjustments, and find yourselves a few key roster pieces- particularly a forward who's lengthy and can guard Rashard, as well as someone who can create their offense better than Mo Williams-- Hell, the answer there might just be a non-sucking Mo Williams!

But I digress.

1. It's not about Hedo's stats. Cleveland had to constantly be concerned with where Hedo was because of the obvious mis-match. Plus Hedo was the catalyst to the offense. He was the one who was running the pick and rolls for Orlando that hurt the Cavs. He would set everything up. I am not saying that Hedo was the reason Orlando beat Cleveland, but I firmly believe that Hedo is a tougher matchup for Cleveland than Vince was. Firmly.

2. We HAVE a forward that can guard Shard. His name is LeBron James.

3. I disagree with you about Carter. Carter is a player that has always accumulated meaningless stats. I don't think he is a better playmaker than Hedo was last year. I can honestly say that I am far more concerned about Hedo and Dwight running the pick and roll than I am Vince and Dwight.

4. It is clear that Orlando is going more conventional. And you can't just say "well SVG will use Shard at the 4 more against Cleveland". Orlando was committed to their small-ball last year. They ran that in their sleep. They practiced it all the time. If they are starting Bass then they won't be as committed and they won't run it as crisp as they did last year. It isn't like a bike where you just remember how to do it. Sure, they could go small and have success, but it won't be run as crisp as it was run last year.
InBoobieWeTrust
General Manager

Post#133 » by InBoobieWeTrust » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:38 am

So, can someone explain to me how paying Gortat 34M/5Y to play 12MPG is such a great move, while paying Varejao(28MPG) 42.5M/6Y(basically the same exact scaling paycheck, with just a difference in length) is the worst move of the off-season?

I personally think both are good moves, but for all the Orlando fans critical of the Varejao signing, are you going to change your tune because of the Gortat signing, or are you going to criticize your own GM for the money being spent on him?
Hypz
Head Coach
And1: 8

Post#134 » by Hypz » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:39 am

Quick Q: With this development, are the Orlando Magic projected to be one of, if not THE highest payroll team in the league??
Obie09
Rookie

Post#135 » by Obie09 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:44 am

InBoobieWeTrust wrote:So, can someone explain to me how paying Gortat 34M/5Y to play 12MPG is such a great move, while paying Varejao(28MPG) 42.5M/6Y(basically the same exact scaling paycheck, with just a difference in length) is the worst move of the off-season?

I personally think both are good moves, but for all the Orlando fans critical of the Varejao signing, are you going to change your tune because of the Gortat signing, or are you going to criticize your own GM for the money being spent on him?

The Magic will trade Gortat for another valuable piece. Thats why. Also Varejo has no trade value because no other team in the NBA would ever ever ever want him especially considering his contract.
BrooklynBulls
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#136 » by BrooklynBulls » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:46 am

DowJones wrote:1. It's not about Hedo's stats. Cleveland had to constantly be concerned with where Hedo was because of the obvious mis-match. Plus Hedo was the catalyst to the offense. He was the one who was running the pick and rolls for Orlando that hurt the Cavs. He would set everything up. I am not saying that Hedo was the reason Orlando beat Cleveland, but I firmly believe that Hedo is a tougher matchup for Cleveland than Vince was. Firmly.

I firmly disagree. Firmly. The statistics disagree, Vince is a tougher matchup for the league. The Orlando Magic Management disagrees. Firmly. Or they wouldn't have done this. Guess we'll see.
2. We HAVE a forward that can guard Shard. His name is LeBron James.

Yeah, I couldn't have BEEN more furious that James wasn't covering him more. But he wasn't.
3. I disagree with you about Carter. Carter is a player that has always accumulated meaningless stats. I don't think he is a better playmaker than Hedo was last year. I can honestly say that I am far more concerned about Hedo and Dwight running the pick and roll than I am Vince and Dwight.

Always accumulated meaningless stats? Really? I think he'd be upset if you called his 21.4 PER in 42 playoff games meaningless. I think your memory of recent history has clouded your overall view of what Carter can do.

4. It is clear that Orlando is going more conventional. And you can't just say "well SVG will use Shard at the 4 more against Cleveland". Orlando was committed to their small-ball last year. They ran that in their sleep. They practiced it all the time. If they are starting Bass then they won't be as committed and they won't run it as crisp as they did last year. It isn't like a bike where you just remember how to do it. Sure, they could go small and have success, but it won't be run as crisp as it was run last year.

If they start Bass, I think they're morons. They could do it anyway, it'd just be wrong. We'll have to see about that. If they start Bass, I do think they'll be easier to match up with. If they don't start Bass, they're even harder to, because Bass against 2nd stringers has proven to be a really potent option.
InBoobieWeTrust
General Manager

Post#137 » by InBoobieWeTrust » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:46 am

Obie09 wrote:
InBoobieWeTrust wrote:So, can someone explain to me how paying Gortat 34M/5Y to play 12MPG is such a great move, while paying Varejao(28MPG) 42.5M/6Y(basically the same exact scaling paycheck, with just a difference in length) is the worst move of the off-season?

The Magic will trade Gortat for another valuable piece. Thats why. Also Varejo has no trade value because no other team in the NBA would ever ever ever want him especially considering his contract.

I'm sorry, but a 12MPG player owed 34 million on a BYC contract is NOT a valuable trading commodity.

I like the signing, but you can't criticize the Varejao signing and commend this signing unless you have multiple pairs of blue glasses on. I don't see what's so hard about looking at a signing and saying it's good, no matter what kind of rivalry you have towards the opposing team. Gortat was a good signing, but not because of his trade value this year.
Obie09
Rookie

Post#138 » by Obie09 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:49 am

I'm sorry, but a 12MPG player owed 34 million on a BYC contract is NOT a valuable trading commodity.

How about a 40 MPG starting center averaging a double double?
BrooklynBulls
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#139 » by BrooklynBulls » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:50 am

InBoobieWeTrust wrote:

I like the signing, but you can't criticize the Varejao signing and commend this signing unless you have multiple pairs of blue glasses on.

The reason Varejao is a worse signing is because it IS for an extra year, with higher raises. I also heard it was 50m, not 44.5, if you could link me to that, that'd be nice of you.

Gortat's also considered the higher upside player. I agree with you in principle- it is bad cash for value for the Magic. But you shouldn't care. All you should care about is that he's quite good and you'd rather he not be on the team. Just like Magic fans can think he's overpaid, but still be less than happy that he's not left.
InBoobieWeTrust
General Manager

Post#140 » by InBoobieWeTrust » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:51 am

Obie09 wrote:

How about a 40 MPG starting center averaging a double double?

Sure, you could probably get some decent value for Dwight Howard.

Z+Eyenga, deal?

Return to The General Board