***BARKRING NOOZ**** Gortat matched. NOW WITH LINK!!!!

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

BaunceyChillups
Sixth Man
And1: 317

Re: ***BARKRING NOOZ**** Gortat to be resigned by Magic 

Post#41 » by BaunceyChillups » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:37 am

T-mac_1_175 wrote:
SportsWorld wrote:I think it's pretty obvious the Magic are going to ship Gortat to Houston most likely for Shane Battier. Orlando is going to be really good next year if this happens.

Dont think they can I believe?? BYC contract has somthin to do with it? someone confirm..Would be nice to get Gortat but I love Battier..Id rather Rudy Fernandez if the Blazers would go for that..

You can bypass BYC rules with some clever use of TPEs.
TMU
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 10,411

Post#42 » by TMU » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:37 am

T-mac_1_175 wrote:
SportsWorld wrote:I think it's pretty obvious the Magic are going to ship Gortat to Houston most likely for Shane Battier. Orlando is going to be really good next year if this happens.

Dont think they can I believe?? BYC contract has somthin to do with it? someone confirm..Would be nice to get Gortat but I love Battier..Id rather Rudy Fernandez if the Blazers would go for that..

Hey 175, welcome back!!!

Yes, Gortat has a BYC status. Magic must add another player/trade exception(s) to match salaries.
I think Gortat is overpaid and I would much rather have Battier.
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#43 » by 5DOM » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:37 am

I didn't know Hedo played such important role.
Oh well, we have him now!!
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,976

Post#44 » by Nyce_1 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:39 am

BaunceyChillups wrote:
T-mac_1_175 wrote:

You can bypass BYC rules with some clever use of TPEs.

:nod:
infinite11285
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,711

Post#45 » by infinite11285 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:39 am

This Orl/Cle piss match is reaching astronomical levels.
MichaelH
Senior
And1: 0

Post#46 » by MichaelH » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:39 am

DowJones wrote:
dwighty111 wrote:lol

i remember after the VC trade, cavs fans kept on pouncing on the magic with this:

hedo, lee, battie, gortat >>> vc, anderson

without even thinking that jameer did not play against them in the playoffs. so in reality, it is now

HEDO < VC
BATTIE < BASS
LEE ~ ANDERSON
Gortat = Gortat

im sure they'll still find a way to say that the magic regressed.

Hedo>VC
Battie<Bass
Lee>Anderson
Gortat=Gortat

That's about the way it goes. VC might be a better overall player, but he gets his stats on isolations and dribble-drive. Hedo absolutely killed Cleveland with his reads on the pick and roll, partly because Cleveland is a HARD hedging team. They hedge the pick and roll as hard as any team in the league and Hedo's height (6-10) really gave him an advantage over the guys Cleveland is used to hedging because he could see over the defenders and make a really good read.

Plus Cleveland had nobody to matchup with Hedo. If they put James on him then who guards Shard? And if they put James on Shard then you have the 6-3 Delonte West on the 6-10 Hedo. Now Cleveland has a solid backup wing in Anthony Parker (6-6) so he can matchup with Vince and LeBron can stick with Shard when Orlando goes small. Delonte can then apply his pit-bull defense to Nelson.

I think overall Orlando improved slightly when you factor everything in, but I think their moves make it easier for Cleveland to matchup with them. I think VC and Bass helps them out against a healthy Boston and LA, but it hurts them against teams like Cleveland and San Antonio. That is my honest opinion.

WUT HEDO > VC? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Orlando 97, Dallas 82
Cthulhu wrote:Orlando has to shoot out of their a** from three just to win games. Sad.
AgEnT50
General Manager
And1: 188

Post#47 » by AgEnT50 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:40 am

T-Mac United wrote:
T-mac_1_175 wrote:

Hey 175, welcome back!!!

Yes, Gortat has a BYC status. Magic must add another player/trade exception(s) to match salaries.
I think Gortat is overpaid and I would much rather have Battier.

Hey T-Mac, how long do we have to wait before we can trade him tho!? I'd LOVE Battier!
akola
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#48 » by akola » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:40 am

infinite11285 wrote:This Orl/Cle piss match is reaching astronomical levels.

And where do you think Boston fits in this urine fight?
RutgersBJJ
General Manager
And1: 125

Post#49 » by RutgersBJJ » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:42 am

Gortat should start at PF when they go against teams with a traditional 2 big man lineup. If they had Dwight and Gortat on the court together more they wouldn't give up so many offensive rebounds.
RIP Jared Jeffries. Gone but never forgotten...2006-2012
Super_Mario_3
Senior
And1: 9

Post#50 » by Super_Mario_3 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:42 am

since gortat will be getting a hefty increase, he is BYC.

but thanks to the raptors and mark cuban (lol), it's easier to trade him because of our large TPE.

this is one of the scenarios if the magic do go after battier. of course a third team has to join in.

1) ORL send OKC a future 2nd round draft pick.

2) HOU sends Battier (6.8M) to ORL for a TPE worth 6.8M plus rights to fran vasquez or future 1st

3) 3-team trade:

HOU sends $2M TPE to OKC and $3M TPE to ORL
HOU receives Gortat ($5.9M)
OKC receives $2M TPE from HOU, sends out nothing
ORL sends Gortat ($5.9M), receives $3M TPE from HOU
DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,753

Post#51 » by DowJones » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:43 am

In terms of Cleveland vs Orlando, you have to remember that matchups were horrible for the Cavs because they didn't have a pair of tall/versatile players to guard Hedo and Shard. They had LeBron to fill one of those positions but who covers the other? Delonte at 6-3 would have to guard Hedo who is 6-10. If they wanted to go bigger, Bron would guard Hedo while Varejao was stuck chasing Lewis around. Either way you look it is a rough matchup.

But now Orlando got a little smaller and Cleveland got a little taller.

1. If Orlando wants to go big and use Bass at the PF then Cleveland can use a traditional lineup and go from there. They could have Delonte guarding Nelson, Parker guarding Carter, LeBron guarding Shard, Andy guarding Bass, and Shaq guarding Howard.

2. If Orlando wants to go small and use Shard at the 4 and Pietrus at the 3, then Cleveland can go a bit smaller and have West on Nelson, Parker on Carter, Mo on Pietrus, LeBron on Shard, and Shaq on Howard.

Either way you look there are far better matchups for the Cavs. Plus Cleveland is still looking to bring in another more athletic/stretch 4 or a tall, athletic 3.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,823

Post#52 » by SOUL » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:44 am

IF we retain him, I like it. We were paying Battie a **** and nobody said anything about backup center money.
SportsWorld
RealGM
And1: 133

Post#53 » by SportsWorld » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:46 am

Google search "Marcin Gortat" and there's not one article on the Magic matching the offer sheet.
Wilford Brimley
Banned User
And1: 81

Post#54 » by Wilford Brimley » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:47 am

SportsWorld wrote:Google search "Marcin Gortat" and there's not one article on the Magic matching the offer sheet.

Damn I hope someone misheard watching Ch 6.
DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,753

Post#55 » by DowJones » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:47 am

MichaelH wrote:
DowJones wrote:
dwighty111 wrote:lol

i remember after the VC trade, cavs fans kept on pouncing on the magic with this:

hedo, lee, battie, gortat >>> vc, anderson

without even thinking that jameer did not play against them in the playoffs. so in reality, it is now

HEDO < VC
BATTIE < BASS
LEE ~ ANDERSON
Gortat = Gortat

im sure they'll still find a way to say that the magic regressed.

Hedo>VC
Battie<Bass
Lee>Anderson
Gortat=Gortat

That's about the way it goes. VC might be a better overall player, but he gets his stats on isolations and dribble-drive. Hedo absolutely killed Cleveland with his reads on the pick and roll, partly because Cleveland is a HARD hedging team. They hedge the pick and roll as hard as any team in the league and Hedo's height (6-10) really gave him an advantage over the guys Cleveland is used to hedging because he could see over the defenders and make a really good read.

Plus Cleveland had nobody to matchup with Hedo. If they put James on him then who guards Shard? And if they put James on Shard then you have the 6-3 Delonte West on the 6-10 Hedo. Now Cleveland has a solid backup wing in Anthony Parker (6-6) so he can matchup with Vince and LeBron can stick with Shard when Orlando goes small. Delonte can then apply his pit-bull defense to Nelson.

I think overall Orlando improved slightly when you factor everything in, but I think their moves make it easier for Cleveland to matchup with them. I think VC and Bass helps them out against a healthy Boston and LA, but it hurts them against teams like Cleveland and San Antonio. That is my honest opinion.

WUT HEDO > VC? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

In terms of matching up against Cleveland, God yes. And that is all I care about and I was responding to an Orlando fan asking how Cleveland fans would react.

Like I said, I think Orlando got slightly better overall but they do become more conventional for Cleveland to defend. Orlando fans harped on matchups all last year so they know how important they are. Cleveland has added strength in the post and length on the perimeter and Orlando has gone more conventional. Those 2 things are good news for Cleveland.
infinite11285
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,711

Post#56 » by infinite11285 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:48 am

akola wrote:
infinite11285 wrote:This Orl/Cle piss match is reaching astronomical levels.

And where do you think Boston fits in this urine fight?

Boston eliminated the Cavs and didn't have KG against Orlando. Considering the success of the Boston franchise, their only rival is the LA.
Wilford Brimley
Banned User
And1: 81

Post#57 » by Wilford Brimley » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:48 am

Wait hold on. Why would the ORL news be on a 1:48 am???
ponder276
Head Coach
And1: 67

Post#58 » by ponder276 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:48 am

This is a good move, because:
a) People act like the full MLE is some crazy amount to pay for a good backup C, but it's really not. Hell, Detroit signed the useless Kwame Brown to a $4 mil/year deal, Boston is paying a washed-up Sheed the MLE to be their backup C, Pryzbilla makes the full MLE backing up Oden, Big Z will make $11.5 mil to back up Shaq, Chicago pay Brad Miller over $12 mil/year to back up Noah, etc. It's simply not a particularly large amount of money for a very good backup C
b) Gortat could start on a bunch of teams, and is a great deal at the full MLE. By matching this offer they have a great trade chip for the future (probably a year from now, when his BYC wears off)
SmoothKobra
Starter
And1: 638

Post#59 » by SmoothKobra » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:50 am

infinite11285 wrote:
Boston eliminated the Cavs and didn't have KG against Orlando. Considering the success of the Boston franchise, their only rival is the LA.

And for Boston's sake, I hope KG can come back from his serious injury or Cleveland and Orlando will be the least of their problems.
theanimal23
RealGM
And1: 926

Post#60 » by theanimal23 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:52 am

Did Gortat ever sign the contract sheet with Dallas? If so, he can only be a Mav or Magic. He can't be dealt to another team.

I could be wrong here, but once he signs the offer sheet, he can't even be S&T to Dallas. Meaning it'll be strictly a free agent signing to the Magic/Mavs.

Return to The General Board