***BARKRING NOOZ**** Gortat matched. NOW WITH LINK!!!!

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

JoNoNRose
Junior
And1: 2

Re: ***BARKRING NOOZ**** Gortat to be resigned by Magic 

Post#61 » by JoNoNRose » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:52 am

Chevelle2 wrote:Wait hold on. Why would the ORL news be on a 1:48 am???

Seems like there is still hope for you as nothing is official yet. Good luck, feel bad reading your comments lol
Thanks BullsFan88!
J-Ville Smoke
Head Coach
And1: 296

Post#62 » by J-Ville Smoke » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:53 am

ponder276 wrote:This is a good move, because:
a) People act like the full MLE is some crazy amount to pay for a good backup C, but it's really not. Hell, Detroit signed the useless Kwame Brown to a $4 mil/year deal, Boston is paying a washed-up Sheed the MLE to be their backup C, Pryzbilla makes the full MLE backing up Oden, Big Z will make $11.5 mil to back up Shaq, Chicago pay Brad Miller over $12 mil/year to back up Noah, etc. It's simply not a particularly large amount of money for a very good backup C
b) Gortat could start on a bunch of teams, and is a great deal at the full MLE. By matching this offer they have a great trade chip for the future (probably a year from now, when his BYC wears off)

THIS
Волков бояться — в лес не ходить.
The Flying Gent
Veteran
And1: 1,275

Post#63 » by The Flying Gent » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:53 am

This is BS imo. No link should = locked thread.
shortodom
Veteran
And1: 57

Post#64 » by shortodom » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:54 am

is it me or is gortat overrated? Someone said best bigman rotaion?
mattyBoi
Head Coach
And1: 913

Post#65 » by mattyBoi » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:54 am

DowJones wrote:
DowJones wrote:
dwighty111 wrote:lol

i remember after the VC trade, cavs fans kept on pouncing on the magic with this:

hedo, lee, battie, gortat >>> vc, anderson

without even thinking that jameer did not play against them in the playoffs. so in reality, it is now

HEDO < VC
BATTIE < BASS
LEE ~ ANDERSON
Gortat = Gortat

im sure they'll still find a way to say that the magic regressed.

Hedo>VC
Battie<Bass
Lee>Anderson
Gortat=Gortat

That's about the way it goes. VC might be a better overall player, but he gets his stats on isolations and dribble-drive. Hedo absolutely killed Cleveland with his reads on the pick and roll, partly because Cleveland is a HARD hedging team. They hedge the pick and roll as hard as any team in the league and Hedo's height (6-10) really gave him an advantage over the guys Cleveland is used to hedging because he could see over the defenders and make a really good read.

Plus Cleveland had nobody to matchup with Hedo. If they put James on him then who guards Shard? And if they put James on Shard then you have the 6-3 Delonte West on the 6-10 Hedo. Now Cleveland has a solid backup wing in Anthony Parker (6-6) so he can matchup with Vince and LeBron can stick with Shard when Orlando goes small. Delonte can then apply his pit-bull defense to Nelson.

I think overall Orlando improved slightly when you factor everything in, but I think their moves make it easier for Cleveland to matchup with them. I think VC and Bass helps them out against a healthy Boston and LA, but it hurts them against teams like Cleveland and San Antonio. That is my honest opinion.

In terms of matching up against Cleveland, God yes. And that is all I care about and I was responding to an Orlando fan asking how Cleveland fans would react.

Like I said, I think Orlando got slightly better overall but they do become more conventional for Cleveland to defend. Orlando fans harped on matchups all last year so they know how important they are. Cleveland has added strength in the post and length on the perimeter and Orlando has gone more conventional. Those 2 things are good news for Cleveland.

LOLOLOL your ridiculous man...Its hilarious, how did we become a half court team, and since when were we an uptempo team?...We have always ran both whenever we have opportunities...You don't Jameer can push the pace like Alston? haha right...You dont think Vince can push the pace like Hedo? haha right...Just come to grips with it bro Magic have gotten better.
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#66 » by 5DOM » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:54 am

Soul wrote:IF we retain him, I like it. We were paying Battie a **** and nobody said anything about backup center money.

At least you weren't paying the luxury tax then(or were you?)
But then I actually like this move for Orlando. If the owner is willing, it's always better to add talent. It's not like Orlando was going to be a player in 2010 free agency.
The MVPlaya
Starter
And1: 33

Post#67 » by The MVPlaya » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:54 am

This is starting to get fishy. A news channel exclusively breaking the news, while no one else in the world knows?

I don't think the OP is lying, I have no doubt that news channel said this, but I'll believe it when I see it.
Wilford Brimley
Banned User
And1: 81

Post#68 » by Wilford Brimley » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:55 am

EDIT: Double post
Wilford Brimley
Banned User
And1: 81

Post#69 » by Wilford Brimley » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:56 am

JoNoNRose wrote:
Chevelle2 wrote:Wait hold on. Why would the ORL news be on a 1:48 am???

Seems like there is still hope for you as nothing is official yet. Good luck, feel bad reading your comments lol

LOL, thanks man.
J-Ville Smoke
Head Coach

Post#70 » by J-Ville Smoke » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:57 am

I'll post the link as soon as one pops up. An insider on the Official Magic Message board dropped this info on us friday, and tonight myself along with several other posters saw it on the late Channel 6 edition local news.
SportsWorld
RealGM
And1: 133

Post#71 » by SportsWorld » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:57 am

http://www.clickorlando.com/sports/index.html

Nothing on the station's website. You'd think they'd put it on there if they had exclusive info.
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#72 » by 5DOM » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:58 am

ponder276 wrote:This is a good move, because:
a) People act like the full MLE is some crazy amount to pay for a good backup C, but it's really not. Hell, Detroit signed the useless Kwame Brown to a $4 mil/year deal, Boston is paying a washed-up Sheed the MLE to be their backup C, Pryzbilla makes the full MLE backing up Oden, Big Z will make $11.5 mil to back up Shaq, Chicago pay Brad Miller over $12 mil/year to back up Noah, etc. It's simply not a particularly large amount of money for a very good backup C

The difference is that no one signed them to be their backup C's.
They just happen to be in that situation now. Btw, Gortat's salary is now closer to 10 mil than full MLE.
The MVPlaya
Starter
And1: 33

Post#73 » by The MVPlaya » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:58 am

By the way, am I the only one who finds it funny that Cavs fans keep talking like their team is the "standard"? Everything is matching up with Cleveland this, matching up with Cleveland that. Hello, Orlando is preparing themselves to WIN the NBA title, not get past 1 team. They already know they have Cleveland in their back pocket. This team clearly has it's eyes set on the prize.
mattyBoi
Head Coach
And1: 913

Post#74 » by mattyBoi » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:58 am

Inside sources have also claimed this to be true since Friday, Another source said the announcement would be made on Monday...Somehow it leaked to a local sports guy that is always digging for info and he broke it during the midnight news...He also said that Barnes is very close to signing with the Magic and if that somehow falls through that Von Wafer is dying to join the team...Also look for Ratliff to join as an extra big.
BrooklynBulls
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,652

Post#75 » by BrooklynBulls » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:58 am

mattyBoi wrote:
LOLOLOL your ridiculous man...Its hilarious, how did we become a half court team, and since when were we an uptempo team?...We have always ran both whenever we have opportunities...You don't Jameer can push the pace like Alston? haha right...You dont think Vince can push the pace like Hedo? haha right...Just come to grips with it bro Magic have gotten better.

What Cleveland fans see as conventional, everybody else on earth sees as versatile.

Do Cavs fans actually think Orlando doesn't know what helped them vs. the Magic? They're not about to play Bass at PF for large stretches instead of Lewis, not against the Cavs. Because they know Varejao's got no chance, none, against him.

And if you think Carter's going to do anything but exactly what Turkoglu does, except better, you'd be wrong about that too.

They'll miss Courtney Lee, just a bit...he gave them a defensive spark, some good shooting, some good slashing. But it's nothing Pietrus can't largely replace.

Swapping Carter for Turkoglu, Bass for Battie, and Gortat for Gortat, I don't know how that can make anybody in the East happy except for Magic fans.
Rand10
Starter
And1: 39

Post#76 » by Rand10 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:00 am

So this is all based on some supposed insider on a message board?
colangelo wrote:Nowitzki walk in with Maytricks and says welcome to horse team and championship time.
SmoothKobra
Starter
And1: 638

Post#77 » by SmoothKobra » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:00 am

mattyBoi wrote:

Vince is an up and down player? Jameer is an up and down player? Anderson? Bass? Redick? Dwight is at his best in transition, you guys made a living in transition during your post season run. You were able to swing the ball in transition and get wide open threes. There's no way that Jameer can push the pace like Alston, he looked horrible trying to do so in the finals, and we still don't know how he will come back from injury. Alston, Lee, and Pietrus meant alot more to last year's team than people want to give credit for, Lee especially. Orlando has made moves that have transformed them into a halfcourt team, and last year's team was a running team, I don't see how there is much debate in that. Dwight is not a great halfcourt player, and that wasn't the team's identity last year, so it will be interesting seeing if they can adjust.
SportsWorld
RealGM
And1: 133

Post#78 » by SportsWorld » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:00 am

Rand10 wrote:So this is all based on some supposed insider on a message board?

A few Magic fans said they saw it on a local TV station.
DowJones
RealGM
And1: 6,764

Post#79 » by DowJones » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:01 am

matty, I am assuming Orlando paid Bass to get regular playing time. If he gets regular playing time then all of a sudden Rashard is at the 3 and you no longer run your European style offense. And if you do put Rashard at the 4, Cleveland can then counter with Anthony Parker off the bench, use him to guard Vince, and slide LeBron down to Lewis. 2 advantages for Cleveland...

1. Cleveland will no longer have to suffer through Varejao running all over the court trying to guard Rashard Lewis. If he is killing us, we can slide LeBron over to cover him.

2. Cleveland no longer has to watch Delonte cover the 6-10 Hedo. Vince is 6-6 and Anthony Parker is 6-6. Plus Parker is a pretty gritty defender.
J-Ville Smoke
Head Coach

Post#80 » by J-Ville Smoke » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:01 am

BrooklynBulls wrote:
mattyBoi wrote:

What Cleveland fans see as conventional, everybody else on earth sees as versatile.

Do Cavs fans actually think Orlando doesn't know what helped them vs. the Magic? They're not about to play Bass at PF for large stretches instead of Lewis, not against the Cavs. Because they know Varejao's got no chance, none, against him.

And if you think Carter's going to do anything but exactly what Turkoglu does, except better, you'd be wrong about that too.

They'll miss Courtney Lee, just a bit...he gave them a defensive spark, some good shooting, some good slashing. But it's nothing Pietrus can't largely replace.

Swapping Carter for Turkoglu, Bass for Battie, and Gortat for Gortat, I don't know how that can make anybody in the East happy except for Magic fans.

Truer words have yet to be spoken.

And don't forget we add Nelson over Alston too.

Return to The General Board