Matt Barnes Signing With The Magic?

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

erekose200
Senior
And1: 126

Re: Matt Barnes Signing With The Magic? 

Post#61 » by erekose200 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:12 am

Jameer Nelson=Mo Williams=(not really an) all star.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,859

Post#62 » by cdubbz » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:17 am

Joana wrote:Barnes is a 9th man in a good team. And not a very good 9th man.

Barnes was underrated when he came to golden state and now everyone knows that hes a solid bench player. Barnes is capable of doing everything needed, HOWEVA...he can be very wild. he can chuck threes, but at the same time he can knock em down, defend wings, block shots and give an occasional hard foul for toughness. barnes will help the magic tremendously.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
cwas2882
General Manager
And1: 5,802

Post#63 » by cwas2882 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:40 am

He's a solid 9th man for only 1.8 mil. Anything more in money or role is too much for him. Reminds me a little of a Harpring-lite type of player
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,041

Post#64 » by Pharmcat » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:19 am

solid signing
CourtsideTV
RealGM
And1: 349

Post#65 » by CourtsideTV » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:28 pm

how long did it take you to grow the beard
Work Hard
mike_miller
Lead Assistant
And1: 34

Post#66 » by mike_miller » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:01 pm

i can see harris and rose ( who probably needs to do more than one year to really be legit) as better but rondo is deff not..

you cant look at a sample size of 20 games and say hes total lack of anything resembling a shot isnt an issue. hes a 10pt scorer and that only works if your name is jason kidd.
Bay_Areas_Finest
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#67 » by Bay_Areas_Finest » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:00 pm

erekose200 wrote:Jameer Nelson=Mo Williams=(not really an) all star.

Haha. Mo is garbage when compared to Nelson. Did you see how each performed when they went head to head? Then you throw in Mo's chokejob in the playoffs.

Rondo & Rose > Nelson. I wont say Harris because he's a pussy flopper.

As for Barnes; it would be a good signing. He'd only be the 7th or 8th guy off the bench.
Monterey
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#68 » by Monterey » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:26 pm

THIS IS NOT: Who's the best point guard in the east?

Shoot. It was funny at first, but the topic at hand is Matt Barnes. I liked him in GS. He was one of our captains and is very versatile. Of course he played time at PF for us, but he's a good SF, versatile and kind of like Dahntay Jones. Long, can shoot the three and at times, dirty. His emotions just get the best of him. So if you like someone who plays with heart, there ya go.
MaryvalesFinest wrote:Draft picks-A+, Earl Clark is already the best defender in this draft class and has the potential to be the second best player.

:lol:
eslr
Assistant Coach
And1: 25

Post#69 » by eslr » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:32 pm

mike_miller wrote:i can see harris and rose ( who probably needs to do more than one year to really be legit) as better but rondo is deff not..

Maybe you could argue that Nelson was better last season (although there is a very good argument that Rondo was better), but for who is going to be the better player and have a better career it's pretty easy to say Rondo. I have zero doubt Rondo will be better next season.

As for Barnes.....there is a reason the guy keeps bouncing around for vet min. contracts despite putting up decent numbers. He is a complete effing idiot on the court and is a god awful defender. He just sucks. He's like the Zach Randolph of NBA journeymen.
Benedict_Boozer
RealGM
And1: 5,726

Post#70 » by Benedict_Boozer » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:32 pm

Barnes would be a good fit in ORL. I think they need him because VC/Pietrus have both had injury problems in the past, he could step right in.

Also Barnes/Pietrus would be a nice duo off the bench, sort of like they were in GS.
Monterey
Sophomore

Post#71 » by Monterey » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:42 pm

eslr wrote:
mike_miller wrote:i can see harris and rose ( who probably needs to do more than one year to really be legit) as better but rondo is deff not..

Maybe you could argue that Nelson was better last season (although there is a very good argument that Rondo was better), but for who is going to be the better player and have a better career it's pretty easy to say Rondo. I have zero doubt Rondo will be better next season.

As for Barnes.....there is a reason the guy keeps bouncing around for vet min. contracts despite putting up decent numbers. He is a complete effing idiot on the court and is a god awful defender. He just sucks. He's like the Zach Randolph of NBA journeymen.

Okay, I think you just added that Barnes part to make your post relevant and not seem like you're talking about point guards. Again. Well, you failed.

Your whole perception of Barnes is wrong. Ever since coming to GS, he hasn't really bounced around, his contracts just end and he's not really getting the vet minimum either. If he was an EFFING IDIOT, he wouldn't have been one of the captains to our 48 win season. He is not a god awful defender. And he doesn't just suck. Otherwise he wouldn't have a team, especially a contender wanting to sign him. If he sucks so much, maybe they're better off signing a D-leaguer. But good points man and good analysis. You're posts are like the Zach Randolph of posting. Tries to score some points, but in the end, is stupid as hell.
MaryvalesFinest wrote:Draft picks-A+, Earl Clark is already the best defender in this draft class and has the potential to be the second best player.

eslr
Assistant Coach
And1: 25

Post#72 » by eslr » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Monterey wrote:
eslr wrote:

Okay, I think you just added that Barnes part to make your post relevant and not seem like you're talking about point guards. Again. Well, you failed.

Your whole perception of Barnes is wrong. Ever since coming to GS, he hasn't really bounced around, his contracts just end and he's not really getting the vet minimum either. If he was an EFFING IDIOT, he wouldn't have been one of the captains to our 48 win season. He is not a god awful defender. And he doesn't just suck. Otherwise he wouldn't have a team, especially a contender wanting to sign him. If he sucks so much, maybe they're better off signing a D-leaguer. But good points man and good analysis. You're posts are like the Zach Randolph of posting. Tries to score some points, but in the end, is stupid as hell.

1 - I'm pretty sure that Barnes has only had one contract that was not a 10-day contract or the vets min. So yes, he has been playing for the vets min--including last year--for the majority of his career.

2 - He played well in GS for a season, but most knuckleheads do well under Nellie. Barnes was ejected from as many games as any player last season and was tied for 5th in technical fouls. If those aren't knuckle headed moves by a role player, I don't know what is.

3 - All his defensive stats (opponents PER, on/off opposing teams efg%, opponents efg% etc. etc) are among the worst in the entire league. Chalk it up to what you want, but its true.

4 - The guy puts up pretty good stats. If he is a good defender and not a knucklehead, how come there's hardly any interest in him and has hardly been any interest in him since he cracked the lineup in GS? Pietrus had no problems getting a full MLE deal the day free agency opened up with similar numbers. Something about your fanboy love for Barnes isn't adding up.
Monterey
Sophomore

Post#73 » by Monterey » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:39 pm

1. Fine, if you will. I'll let you have that, just let me see the contracts with teams. I will admit, before joining GS, he was a journey man.

2. Most knuckleheads do well under Nellie...? Hmm. Okay, if that's your assumption. Give me a few examples we can talk about. Ejected from as many games as any player? That's pretty stupid. What does that mean? Did he get ejected as many times as JJ Redick? Or as many times as Kobe Bryant? Tied for 5th last season? He tied for 14th, wth are you talking about.

3. We can chalk it up, but if you say so.

4. So how is he a knucklehead? Cause of his dumb fouls and techs and ejections? James Posey, great defender, 13 techs, Dwight Howard, great defender, 14 techs, Stephen Jackson, great defender, 18 techs, Kendrick Perkins, good defender, 12 techs. Chris Paul, Kobe Bryant, Chauncey Billups, Lebron James, 11 and 10 techs.

In NO WAY am I saying he's anything close to any of these guys, Waaaay off. But the fact you say his techs and ejections make him a knucklehead, then I don't get it, he brings passion. Heart.

Mickael is younger and more athletic. Are you serious though? Who said there wasn't any interest in him? I fully believe Mickael is worth the full MLE and I never said Barnes was, I believe 1.8m is good for him. If you watched both play, with by your analysis, seems like you haven't. They were both on my team at one point and I could compare. I would take Air France any day. Thank you, have a nice day.

P.S. You do realize he had his first ejection last season right? So if you wanna call that a history of "knuckleheadedness" then go right ahead.

Cigamodnalro
RealGM
And1: 66

Post#74 » by Cigamodnalro » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:41 pm

i thought barnes was known as a good defender.
https://twitter.com/cigamodnalro
“A house pulled down is half rebuilt” - Ancient Proverb
"There's beauty in the breakdown" - Frou Frou
"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees" - Jason Kidd
tranjSAIC
Banned User
And1: 527

Post#75 » by tranjSAIC » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:31 pm

erekose200 wrote:Jameer Nelson=Mo Williams=(not really an) all star.
Jameer was a selection by the coaches, Mo on the other hand wasn't picked by the coaches, he was an injury replacement. Worst yet was it took a few players to skip out before he got a call.
InBoobieWeTrust
General Manager

Post#76 » by InBoobieWeTrust » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:43 pm

Cigamodnalro wrote:i thought barnes was known as a good defender.

The problem with the NBA is that any wing player with his length and athleticism is automatically known as a "Defender". Problem is, after watching Barnes play for GS, then Phoenix, I can say and will say in full confidence that he does not have a defensive bone in his body. Find the clip when Kleiza dunked while Barnes was defending him on Youtube and play that over and over again.

Now, with a defensive mindset on a contender, who knows, he could potentially put his physical tools to good use defensively, but as of now, he's not a good defender.

Although, out of all teams/contenders, he'd be the most useful in Orlando because they play the fastest pace of all the contenders and he could fit in well for spot minutes when Orlando is running.
RTM
RealGM
And1: 173

Post#77 » by RTM » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:49 pm

Barnes is a decent guy to have on the bench. Solid move for Orlando.

Now, if only they can add a decent backup PG, they'll be really tough.

With Gortat and Bass in the fold, I bet they play:

Nelson / PG / Johnson
Carter / Redick
Lewis / Pietrus / Barnes
Bass / Anderson
Howard / Gortat

Solid.
Joana
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#78 » by Joana » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:50 pm

cdubbz wrote:
Joana wrote:Barnes is a 9th man in a good team. And not a very good 9th man.

Barnes was underrated when he came to golden state and now everyone knows that hes a solid bench player. Barnes is capable of doing everything needed, HOWEVA...he can be very wild. he can chuck threes, but at the same time he can knock em down, defend wings, block shots and give an occasional hard foul for toughness. barnes will help the magic tremendously.

He can't defend anyone. I think people confuse his toughness with good defence. His lateral quickness is utterly mediocre, he can't stay in front of mediocre wings, let alone quick ones. Brian Cardinal can blow by him at will (he actually did). He isn't big enough to defend PFs. He's overaggressive and commits dumb fouls. He's slow closing out. He loses ground every step if forced to run through picks. Yeah, toughness, energy and hustle are good things, but they aren't good defence. He's a streaky shooter who only shot above 35% from 3 once in his entire career (and some people call him a good shotoer). He's a bellow average rebounder for his height. He isn't a passer. He doesn't do anything else.

The only thing that makes me feel more comfortable about how Barnes is overrated by the causal fans is that only Mullin was stupid enough to offer him a salary in excess of the LLE during his entire NBA career and it was only for a single season.
Monterey
Sophomore

Post#79 » by Monterey » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:50 pm

Move Pietrus to SG. Redick shouldn't be the first SG off the bench. Unless, he should be?

MinnyMo
Starter
And1: 34

Post#80 » by MinnyMo » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:08 pm

Derekman wrote:
tetris wrote:Lame.

They can sign all the forwards they want...it doesn't matter. Their point guard situation is horrid.

Jameer Nelson is the best point guard in the East. And if it wasn't for a freak accident, we might be talking about the starting point guard for a championship team.

Having Dwight howard makes Nelson an all-star

Return to The General Board